Noots' Notes Game 8: 30-24 Win over Philadelphia

Noots

Great write-up- I'm more impressed with your pre-game prediction of 31-23, Bears.

If you could give the horns to anyone...give them to Major Wright. I don't know what the coaching staff sees in him as I wish they would just play Merriweather....Wright had a lot of one on ones tonight where he whiffed completely. I understand a lot of guys whiffed on McCoy, but Wright looked bad.

For as hard as we are on Martz- he called a great game tonight. There were a few throws that Cut missed on early, which were great looking calls.

Lance Louis would get my game ball as well.

Good write-up but you are way to easy on Forte. You give him and Cutler the same grade but if Cutler had thrown 2 INTs and the offense still put up 30pts and won there's no way you'd give Cutler a B. Forte's first fumble as he was tucking the ball away, ok it happens. His second fumble there was no excuse for as he knew he was in traffic and should have had two hands on the ball. Kudos to the coaches for giving Forte a little extra time on the sidelines to think about his ball security while Barber got some carries.

Jason will be mad at you for giving the Oline an A+ but for once these guys deserve some real kudos from fans. They forced the Eagles to bring extra guys on pass rushes, relying on their CBs to cover mano a mano. Prior to this game all the know-it-alls had the Eagles D playing great and going on the road and man-handling them as we did was great to watch. My play of the game was watching Lance Louis toss a pass rusher (not sure who) to the ground with one arm. He is no longer intimidated by the game and getting more and more comfortable and more than willing to his man on the ground and keep him there, and he did so several times. He's still learning but he is playing well now and he has a very bright future ahead of him.

The receivers do not deserve a B. Too many big drops (e.g. Hester, Roy Williams, Sanzenbacher) that would have all gone for either a first down or big yards.

As for the OL and me being upset about their grade, I can't say that I am. They played their most complete game all year, and perhaps the most complete game for a Bears' OL in the past couple years. They were physically dominant up front, consistently sealed the edges, allowed very minimal pressure on Jay Cutler, and when they did allow pressure they usually kept their spacing enough so that Jay could find a seam in which he could reset. If the OL repeats last night consistently, the Bears are one of the top 3 teams in the NFC. I said it numerous times before; this team's success is completely dependent upon the OL.

The receivers do not deserve a B. Too many big drops (e.g. Hester, Roy Williams, Sanzenbacher) that would have all gone for either a first down or big yards.

As for the OL and me being upset about their grade, I can't say that I am. They played their most complete game all year, and perhaps the most complete game for a Bears' OL in the past couple years. They were physically dominant up front, consistently sealed the edges, allowed very minimal pressure on Jay Cutler, and when they did allow pressure they usually kept their spacing enough so that Jay could find a seam in which he could reset. If the OL repeats last night consistently, the Bears are one of the top 3 teams in the NFC. I said it numerous times before; this team's success is completely dependent upon the OL.

Agree.

Hester dropped one pass on the 2nd drive. He was getting hit, but nonetheless, it went right through his hands. He also dropped what would've been a 55-60 yard gain, as did Williams. Sanzenbacher also dropped (if you call it that because I call it a total whif) one that would've been good for 7 or 8 yards, and probably prevents the 1st Forte fumble.

Add all that up, and Cutler probably finishes 22-34 with about 340 yards and maybe another TD.

Agree.

Hester dropped one pass on the 2nd drive. He was getting hit, but nonetheless, it went right through his hands. He also dropped what would've been a 55-60 yard gain, as did Williams. Sanzenbacher also dropped (if you call it that because I call it a total whif) one that would've been good for 7 or 8 yards, and probably prevents the 1st Forte fumble.

Add all that up, and Cutler probably finishes 22-34 with about 340 yards and maybe another TD.

I agree the WRs didn't help Cut as much as they could have.

The Sanzenbacher ball really upset me as that would have been a 1st Down and we could have avoided the Forte fumble, which was a monster play.

Cut also missed some throws (his first pass attempt off of the PA at mid-field where he threw it behind Roy was a great route/call that Cut flat out missed).

I don't want to eat Roy Williams' lunch for missing that bomb, either. It's hard to catch a ball you can't see....the coverage was good and prevented Roy from making the play IMO.

I do agree with your sentiment that Cut's stats could have been a lot better if a few WRs would have made plays for him.

I agree the WRs didn't help Cut as much as they could have.

The Sanzenbacher ball really upset me as that would have been a 1st Down and we could have avoided the Forte fumble, which was a monster play.

Cut also missed some throws (his first pass attempt off of the PA at mid-field where he threw it behind Roy was a great route/call that Cut flat out missed).

I don't want to eat Roy Williams' lunch for missing that bomb, either. It's hard to catch a ball you can't see....the coverage was good and prevented Roy from making the play IMO.

I do agree with your sentiment that Cut's stats could have been a lot better if a few WRs would have made plays for him.

On Sunday I watched the Cards game....QB throws 20 yd pass to Fitzgerald a little behind him and defender is in perfect underneath coverage. Fitz goes up, reaches back over the defenders head and scores a TD. Monday night our 6'3" Roy Williams doesn't even adjust his speed to shield the defender and keeps his arms at waist level on that deep pass instead of using his height advantage. We don't need an All-Pro Fitzgerald (it would be nice though) but do need a bigger WR who can go up and catch a deep ball over a defender, or get a quick release on inside slants. Hester and Knox cannot fill that role they need time to run into space to be effective and any contact as the ball arrives means a dropped pass.

Glad to see the resident Oline expert's approval. :) I'm being serious on that because it means we have made real progress.

On Sunday I watched the Cards game....QB throws 20 yd pass to Fitzgerald a little behind him and defender is in perfect underneath coverage. Fitz goes up, reaches back over the defenders head and scores a TD. Monday night our 6'3" Roy Williams doesn't even adjust his speed to shield the defender and keeps his arms at waist level on that deep pass instead of using his height advantage. We don't need an All-Pro Fitzgerald (it would be nice though) but do need a bigger WR who can go up and catch a deep ball over a defender, or get a quick release on inside slants. Hester and Knox cannot fill that role they need time to run into space to be effective and any contact as the ball arrives means a dropped pass.

C'mon man, get real. The miss by Roy Williams has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a big WR who can go up and get it. That ball went through his hands and hit him in the nutsack. That's a ball ANY professional WR should catch. It's not like he even had to battle for it. Fitzgerald wouldn't have had to reach up for it either. But at least Fitz would have caught it.

We need WRs who can reliably catch the ball more than we need this mythical guy who can soar like Michael Jordan and catch the ball above DBs. And, BTW, Roy Williams easily beats press coverage off the line...he just doesn't have reliable hands.

Glad to see the resident Oline expert's approval. :) I'm being serious on that because it means we have made real progress.

Good. I complain hard when I see something broken for years that is barely addressed. It gets me irate when other problems are addressed in waves. But when the guys do well, I'm more than willing to say so.

The OL did well. I'd just like to see it for several weeks in a row, and consequently see a less rattled Jay Cutler finally step into a comfort zone, before proclaiming the need for OL to be a secondary issue. Just like the last few years, the OL is the primary team need. WR is secondary.

Good. I complain hard when I see something broken for years that is barely addressed. It gets me irate when other problems are addressed in waves. But when the guys do well, I'm more than willing to say so.

The OL did well. I'd just like to see it for several weeks in a row, and consequently see a less rattled Jay Cutler finally step into a comfort zone, before proclaiming the need for OL to be a secondary issue. Just like the last few years, the OL is the primary team need. WR is secondary.

Once again strange things can happen and I agree with your previous assessments about the line and what you say currently about SUSTAINED success for this line but I will say that it is a 3 game total of 3 sacks over the last 3 games as oppossed to the numbers that were off the charts for the first 5 games. Even going back to the first Det game Cutler started to do a better job of avoiding the rush by moving to his right or stepping up in the pocket. Now he looks like he is throwing some of these passes with ease. On most of his bad throws it is truly bad mechanics (Back Foot) that contribute to them. He can't do anything about our WRs that have their head on the swivel while catching the ball. I'll go on record as saying that Earl Bennett should be the next extension that should get done this year.

C'mon man, get real. The miss by Roy Williams has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a big WR who can go up and get it. That ball went through his hands and hit him in the nutsack. That's a ball ANY professional WR should catch. It's not like he even had to battle for it. Fitzgerald wouldn't have had to reach up for it either. But at least Fitz would have caught it.

We need WRs who can reliably catch the ball more than we need this mythical guy who can soar like Michael Jordan and catch the ball above DBs. And, BTW, Roy Williams easily beats press coverage off the line...he just doesn't have reliable hands.

Like I said, he didn't have to jump, just make a slight speed adjustment to shield the defender more than he did but that's not Roy's M.O. I've said many times, we don't need your smart-ass mythical WR and I'm not on board with trading the farm for someone like Fitzgerald. It's not worth the opportunity cost. We just need a good WR with bigger stature who knows how to go get the ball like Bennett does. Give Cutler a different option over the top of defenders to compliment what we have on the roster.

Like I said, he didn't have to jump, just make a slight speed adjustment to shield the defender more than he did but that's not Roy's M.O. I've said many times, we don't need your smart-ass mythical WR and I'm not on board with trading the farm for someone like Fitzgerald. It's not worth the opportunity cost. We just need a good WR with bigger stature who knows how to go get the ball like Bennett does. Give Cutler a different option over the top of defenders to compliment what we have on the roster.

Now that wording I can agree with. I just get tired of hearing "big WR" as if someone simply being bigger is automatically the answer because of his size. After all, Roy Williams is bigger. What the Bears need is a guy with reliable hands who can beat press coverage (i.e. bump and run) and get enough separation for a passing angle/lane. I just don't happen to think that beating the bump and run is something only big WRs can do. Little, shifty guys can do it as well. What this team needs in the WR position is consistency and reliability, which is why Bennett looked so awesome last game. The ball went his way, he caught it. It's that simple.