First 2012 Mock Draft

Ed Hochuli 3:16

1. Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina

---This is a typical Lovie pick. He's a guy who could play some DT as well as DE; he's flying up draft boards. With Idonije being a FA at year's end, Peppers aging, and Wooton being useless, this pick makes sense. It also makes sense for another reason: right now, the Bears are 23rd overall in defense.

2. Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa

---McNutt is tearing up the Big-10. He's the best receiver in the conference and is 6'4" and 215 pounds. He's a definite playmaker and could fill in Roy Williams' spot when he leaves after the season (hopefully).

3. Nate Potter, OT, Boise State

---If he's here this late, this is a steal. He's one of the few guys in this draft who could play LT at the next level. If Webb continues to play like a turnstile, Potter could be his replacement. Until then, he could play some OG and provide some OL depth.

3 (from CAR). Nico Johnson, OLB, Alabama

---If there's ever a time where Briggs gets traded, it'll be in February or March. He's never been happy with the Bears front office it seems, and now he's finally demanded a trade. While I didn't add in a draft pick for the return of the trade, I think he gets traded. Johnson is very good tackler playing on a great defense where he's usually overlooked by guys like Courtney Upshaw, Mark Barron, and Josh Chapman.

4. DaJohn Harris, DT, USC

---As a USC fan, I know how underrated Harris is. He goes plays without being noticed, but all of a sudden, he'll pop up in the backfield for a big hit. He's a huge guy as well and would be great for the Bears, a team with a glaring hole at DT.

5. Senio Kelemete, G, Washington

---This is a pick to gain more OL depth. Louis is a good RT and solid at OG, Spencer is decent at OG but might be the C in 2 or 3 years, and Williams plays good but then misses a block. Regardless, if one of them has a rough stretch, Kelemete will hopefully be able to slide in with some polish.

6. Duke Ihenacho, S, San Jose State

---What's a Bears draft without picking a safety? Ihenacho is a decent player who's a depth pick here. He's likely a special teams player, but teams have found 6th round gems in the past. Plus, Major Wright can't just assume the spot is his to keep, especially since nobody knows the future for Brandon Meriweather in Chicago.

7. DeQuan Menzie, CB, Alabama

---Menzie is a solid player in a great conference. He might be a good NFL player some day.

I really hope they get McNutt. He is everything they are missing in a WR.

Exactly. This is a reason I wouldn't mind the Bears going DT, DE, or OT in round 1, because McNutt will be there in the 2nd and he might be the best pro out of the bunch, besides Blackmon.

Got to be a WR in round 1 IMO. We may have played ourselves out of the running for Michael Floyd but if he's there, you can't pass him up.

I did this from JA and Lovie's point of view combined with their biggest needs IMO. If it was my idea of a perfect draft, I would've also said WR in round 1.

Exactly. This is a reason I wouldn't mind the Bears going DT, DE, or OT in round 1, because McNutt will be there in the 2nd and he might be the best pro out of the bunch, besides Blackmon.

I did this from JA and Lovie's point of view combined with their biggest needs IMO. If it was my idea of a perfect draft, I would've also said WR in round 1.

Well in that case, you are right. Logic doesn't apply to Jerry Angelo. Although if we got the right DE to pair up with Peppers, it could be a pretty deadly combo.

Okay I'll bite. I check out 2 mocks on NFL draft scout and one has the Bears taking DT Worthy of Michigan State and the other has the Bears taking WR Nick Toon of Wisconsin.

Here's my stab at it:

1.Alex Barron SS Alabama this is arguably the best safety in the draft and with the Bears currently at 22 this could be the John Lynch type they have been looking for and he is a big boy at 6-2 215

2.Rueben Randle WR LSU Big WR that goes up and gets the ball at its peak and is clutch for the Tigers and with that running game we know he can block.

3 Nate Potter OT Boise State I like B Bear's pick here who is also versatile enough to move inside.

3. Andre Branch DE Clemson Has an 11 tackle game this year against Va Tech including 3 sacks 5 tackles for loss and 3 QB pressures, Played football and basketball(Power Forward) in HS. Sound familar?

4.Emmanuel Acho ILB Texas older brother Sam already in the NFL and has the size and speed to be groomed to replace Urlacher down the road.He also could start out on the strong side.

5. Brett Roy DT Nevada at 6-3 280 he is the right body type the Bears like at the under tackle and would only have to bulk up a little bit

6. Jordan White WR I'm dreaming to think the player that has broken some of Greg Jennings records will last this long. He is very clutch and Ithought he should have come out last year.

7.Rishaw Johnson OG California(PA) character issues surround this player who originally started out at Ole Miss but got kicked off the team for repeated rules violations so the Bears take a chance with the idea that Tice can make him toe the line.

This is WAAAAAAY too early to do a mock draft. Having said that, if any mock draft at this point doesn't have at least one addition to the OL in the first two rounds, then I hate it. Therefore, I hate this draft...despite the fact that I could see it as incredibly believable from the Lovie/JA mindset.

1. Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina

---This is a typical Lovie pick. He's a guy who could play some DT as well as DE; he's flying up draft boards. With Idonije being a FA at year's end, Peppers aging, and Wooton being useless, this pick makes sense. It also makes sense for another reason: right now, the Bears are 23rd overall in defense.

2. Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa

---McNutt is tearing up the Big-10. He's the best receiver in the conference and is 6'4" and 215 pounds. He's a definite playmaker and could fill in Roy Williams' spot when he leaves after the season (hopefully).

3. Nate Potter, OT, Boise State

---If he's here this late, this is a steal. He's one of the few guys in this draft who could play LT at the next level. If Webb continues to play like a turnstile, Potter could be his replacement. Until then, he could play some OG and provide some OL depth.

3 (from CAR). Nico Johnson, OLB, Alabama

---If there's ever a time where Briggs gets traded, it'll be in February or March. He's never been happy with the Bears front office it seems, and now he's finally demanded a trade. While I didn't add in a draft pick for the return of the trade, I think he gets traded. Johnson is very good tackler playing on a great defense where he's usually overlooked by guys like Courtney Upshaw, Mark Barron, and Josh Chapman.

4. DaJohn Harris, DT, USC

---As a USC fan, I know how underrated Harris is. He goes plays without being noticed, but all of a sudden, he'll pop up in the backfield for a big hit. He's a huge guy as well and would be great for the Bears, a team with a glaring hole at DT.

5. Senio Kelemete, G, Washington

---This is a pick to gain more OL depth. Louis is a good RT and solid at OG, Spencer is decent at OG but might be the C in 2 or 3 years, and Williams plays good but then misses a block. Regardless, if one of them has a rough stretch, Kelemete will hopefully be able to slide in with some polish.

6. Duke Ihenacho, S, San Jose State

---What's a Bears draft without picking a safety? Ihenacho is a decent player who's a depth pick here. He's likely a special teams player, but teams have found 6th round gems in the past. Plus, Major Wright can't just assume the spot is his to keep, especially since nobody knows the future for Brandon Meriweather in Chicago.

7. DeQuan Menzie, CB, Alabama

---Menzie is a solid player in a great conference. He might be a good NFL player some day.

Were going to be picking between 25 and 30 and odds of McNutt and Ingram being there in the first round that low are slim at best. Would never last until our second pick. The rest of your draft seems realistic. I think your order of positions are spot on.

This is WAAAAAAY too early to do a mock draft. Having said that, if any mock draft at this point doesn't have at least one addition to the OL in the first two rounds, then I hate it. Therefore, I hate this draft...despite the fact that I could see it as incredibly believable from the Lovie/JA mindset.

Where would Lovie stick a 1st or 2nd round OG? Replace Spencer, who's been a pleasant surprise? Replace Williams, who despite having surgery has been very good the last 3-4 weeks?

The only position the Bears need to seriously look at on the OL is LT, and at 25-30 (like Stinger said), there won't be any great LT's there. Reily Reiff would be a nice pick but he'll be gone somewhere between 11-19.

Where would Lovie stick a 1st or 2nd round OG? Replace Spencer, who's been a pleasant surprise? Replace Williams, who despite having surgery has been very good the last 3-4 weeks?

The only position the Bears need to seriously look at on the OL is LT, and at 25-30 (like Stinger said), there won't be any great LT's there. Reily Reiff would be a nice pick but he'll be gone somewhere between 11-19.

I disagree completely.

Garza is an OG. He should be playing OG. If Spencer wasn't good enough to win the starting C job, then he's probably not a good C. Therefore, C is a need. "Pleasant surprise" must be code for "has been mediocre at best." Luckily, moving Garza back to his natural position works really well in this regard.

And look what WalterFootball projects for the Bears!

Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin

Also, you're right, the Bears ALSO need an OT...whether they plan on moving Carimi back to the left side or not.

i am going to agree with jason. this team needs to draft GOOD offensive linemen early and often.

every time this team has a couple of good games (which can't even be said for our OL in this game) we think we are set for a decade. as i have stated in the past you have to draft for the future when quarterbacks or offensive linemen are thrown into the equation. it usually takes 2-3 years for an offensive lineman to get up to speed in the NFL. to top this off, we are using max protection on many sets and even that is not working consistently to give cutler the needed protection.

even IF any of our players turn out to be pro-bowl players how can it hurt to hedge our bet by drafting quality linemen? if a newly drafted player is better than what we got, who cares who starts as long as it's a quality player. this also gives us trade bait if we have a glut of excellent linemen.

it's a fact, the most important position on this team is quarterback and we finally have a qb who i believe could win us multiple superbowls if kept healthy. so how can drafting good offensive linemen not be a priority? if nothing else look at the packers. they try to draft quality linemen in nearly every draft and it shows.

GUARD: to say spenser is a long term solution at guard or center is a huge stretch. even our other guards, lance louis and chris williams, have not shown consistency to the point that you don't cover these positions with good draft picks. at the least we need to draft one very good first day pick at guard.

TACKLE: web certainly can't be penciled in or considered even in the top 20 left tackles in the NFL. so to draft a potential LT should be a priority. at right tackle? although carimi has potential we again haven't seen enough of him due to injury to make any definite decisions that are set in stone. hell, it's even possible that carimi could be given a shot at LT since he played that in college. in any case drafting a good tackle should still be a top priority.

CENTER: although garza has been a decent replacement at center he is certainly not a pro-bowl caliber center. add to this his age and a replacement at center is absolutely warranted by drafting a player to take over in the near future.

DEPTH: this is virtually nonexistent.

Since it's never to early to make Christmas lists or Mock Drafts, I'll take my shot.

RD1 Barrett Jones T/G Alabama 6-5 311 Has played both Guard and LT for 'Bama and Bears have said they like Tackles that can play Guard

RD2 Dwight Jones WR North Carolina 6-4 215. Big WR that can go up for the ball, possesion target and redzone threat.

RD3 Keith Tandy CB RD3 West Virginia 5-10-198

RD3 Justin Miller DE West Virginia 6-4 260

RD4 Lonnie Edwards G Texas Tech 6-4 322

RD5 Chris Gallipo ILB USC 6-2 250 Plays MLB for former Tampa D coach Monte Kiffin

RD6 Harrison Smith S Notre Dame 6-2 215

RD7 Jeff Demps RB/KR Florida 5-8 190 4.25/40 dash