Carimi to have surgery

Connorbear

Maybe we should just never draft an OL in the 1st round ever again. We haven't exactly had the greatest luck in the world drafting them. Columbo, Williams, now Carimi, different guys, same story. I seriously hope Carimi doesn't become a bust like the other two but he's had knee issues before, if it becomes chronic, he may just be one of many busts this team has drafted over the years..

So I had to ask, what the heck is "Arthroscopic Abridement" knee surgery and what are the effects? Well, I fear 'Bear4ever' may be right. This sounds to a chronic issue with Gabe and the procedure is controversial for many reasons one of which is it is equated to a "placebo". Here's what I found:

http://osteoarthritis.about.com/od/osteoar...Debridement.htm

Make me wonder a bit why they waited so long... Maybe if the line hadn't been playing as decently, they'd have held off until season's end?

It's disappointing regardless. As many of you already mentioned, there should be concern of the potentially chronic nature of this.

I don't think we stop drafting OL though!

Carimi could be a bust. But at least, it didn't appear as such when we drafted him. It's just a good thing that the OL right now is playing better.

Depth is still needed.

Did Carimi finish his college career healthy? (not sitting out due to injury anyway)

HE played a ton of games at Wisconsin, started 4 years, but did miss a few games in 2008 because of a knee injury, same knee as now. Sprained MCL in his right knee in 2008, slight tear of that MCL in 2009 but was able to play through it in 2009.

Maybe we should just never draft an OL in the 1st round ever again. We haven't exactly had the greatest luck in the world drafting them. Columbo, Williams, now Carimi, different guys, same story. I seriously hope Carimi doesn't become a bust like the other two but he's had knee issues before, if it becomes chronic, he may just be one of many busts this team has drafted over the years..

Or maybe we need different guys looking at different kinds of OLinemen. Maybe they are looking at the same traits, and those traits possibly relate to a more injury prone OLinemen?

What we certainly don't need to do is stop drafting OL. That's a horrible idea that almost led to Cutler getting crippled last year.

Or maybe we need different guys looking at different kinds of OLinemen. Maybe they are looking at the same traits, and those traits possibly relate to a more injury prone OLinemen?

The Bears are looking for talented linemen who can step right in and contribute. So, they're looking for guys who were starters for several years...but they're also not drafting in the top 10, so they need a lineman who fell for some reason.

Guys who have had knee/back issues fall a little bit, and are more available in the middle/latter part of the first round, where the Bears have been drafting.