Question about the D

Chitownhustla

It has been noted that the bears have been playing alot more man press the last couple of weeks which has led to a better performance. Was this true against the Lions as in another post i cant remember much of the game due to the high level of celebrations!!!

Did the Bears use the man press against the Packers earlier this year? Watching the Packers last night their timing on O is off the charts, wouldnt the man press help distrupt their timing if possible?

It has been noted that the bears have been playing alot more man press the last couple of weeks which has led to a better performance. Was this true against the Lions as in another post i cant remember much of the game due to the high level of celebrations!!!

Did the Bears use the man press against the Packers earlier this year? Watching the Packers last night their timing on O is off the charts, wouldnt the man press help distrupt their timing if possible?

Good question. I wonder if things have changed up defensively during the turn-around? I haven't really noticed, nor have I rewatched any games. We all know about the offensive changes, but have there been major defensive changes?

Well I do know Brian Billick, during his commentating this weekend, said the Bears don't and haven't played a true Cover Two for awhile now. He said the same thing earlier this year. He said they play a "shell" cover then move out of it just before the hike of the ball. He showed a few replays where there was "single high" coverage with the FS then the SS would rotate down for man/press coverage. I've noticed there has been a lot more Nickel coverage with DJ Moore and even Corey Graham than I've seen previously.

So in a nutshell, yeah I think they have gone more to "man-man" than in the past. Probably a lot of the reason why Tillman is having such a great year. Just hope that Jennings can keep up with what he's been doing so far.

Well I do know Brian Billick, during his commentating this weekend, said the Bears don't and haven't played a true Cover Two for awhile now. He said the same thing earlier this year. He said they play a "shell" cover then move out of it just before the hike of the ball. He showed a few replays where there was "single high" coverage with the FS then the SS would rotate down for man/press coverage. I've noticed there has been a lot more Nickel coverage with DJ Moore and even Corey Graham than I've seen previously.

So in a nutshell, yeah I think they have gone more to "man-man" than in the past. Probably a lot of the reason why Tillman is having such a great year. Just hope that Jennings can keep up with what he's been doing so far.

Agreed and Billick was pointing it out all game and said the single high safety indicated either man/press or cover3. being that DJ Moore has been coming on blitzes every game and sometimes some of the DL have dropped back into the short zone he vacates.Billick continuosly asked why the Lions didn't recognize what coverage the Bears were in and take advantage with Megatron one on one with Tillman.He was targeted 19 times out of 63 passes which is a little less than1/3 of the pass plays.IMO the guy who was invisible was Pettigrew who I can remember only being thrown to three times. I saw Roach locked up on him a couple of times and he looked decent in coverage. The one pass play I thought Detroit had success with was quick slants which was the play where Briggs laid the hammer on Johnson.They didn't go to them often enough instead opting for plays toward the sidelines where defenders could read the QB and jump the route which happened on both pic/6's.To throw that ball to the sideline in that wind you have to havea cannon for an arm. Stafford throws a nice deep ball but he didn't have much zip on his sideline throws for some reason.

The Bears must have a lot of confidence in Conte because they leave him up top solo quite a bit now. He definitely has more closing speed than any Bears safety I can recall in recent years. In doing all this we have not given up as many big plays as we did before.

I think with the Nickel (or Roach) covering underneath the Bears are setting up to make Rodgers do the same and do more "big plays. Instead of the dink and dunk that he's gotten so good with. And with the man to man, Tillman and Jennings are playing some agressive bump coverage forcing the QB to wait that much longer. Think things will look better come Christmas.

Guest TerraTor
The Bears must have a lot of confidence in Conte because they leave him up top solo quite a bit now. He definitely has more closing speed than any Bears safety I can recall in recent years. In doing all this we have not given up as many big plays as we did before.

this is what i was gonna put into the conversation as well. Conte except for missing tackles is really playing at a high level. And ive said this many times but Jennings is totally underrated. Hes not Revis or whoever but gotta be the strongest little bastard on the team Lbs for Lbs. Also has anyone else noticed Peppers dropping 8-10 yards more and more often? Maybe its just me drinking more and more often but....