Just for fun

jason

I know it would never happen (for various reasons), but would anyone on this board be entirely upset with the concept of drafting just three areas of need this upcoming offseason?

1. OL

2. WR

3. OL

4. FS

5. WR

6. OL

7. FS

That would be a wonky looking draft, but if you told me that's how it played out I wouldn't be unhappy. I could also see a nothing but OL, WR, and QB draft.

Entirely opposed, no. But there are still needs at LB, DL, and CB. We're pretty thin at about every slot. We lack serious depth. I just want to see WR and OL as a priority...

I know it would never happen (for various reasons), but would anyone on this board be entirely upset with the concept of drafting just three areas of need this upcoming offseason?

1. OL

2. WR

3. OL

4. FS

5. WR

6. OL

7. FS

That would be a wonky looking draft, but if you told me that's how it played out I wouldn't be unhappy. I could also see a nothing but OL, WR, and QB draft.

1. OL

2. WR

3. OL

4. FS

5. WR

6. OL

7. FS

There are 3 positions that are very hard to get in free agency. Franchise QB, LT and DE. We don't need QB, so I'll take LT and DE for our premium picks. If we can spend to get a a good WR or two in FA, I'd like to bolster the secondary and LB corps. As much as I want the OL to be beastly, I think it is time to let them gel once we get the steal of draft with our new LT.

I'd like to see the Bears look at FA for WR unless they think they can get the next AJ Green or Julio Jones. Here's my vision of a JA draft. I'd rather see a RD1 or RD2 Olineman but.

Sign: Vincent Jackson or Marques Colston, or Dwayne Bowe

RD1 - Defensive End

RD2 - Cornerback

RD3 - Guard/Center

RD3 - Wide Receiver

RD4 - Linebacker

RD5 - Offensive Tackle

RD6 - Tight End

RD7 - Safety

I'd like to see the Bears look at FA for WR unless they think they can get the next AJ Green or Julio Jones. Here's my vision of a JA draft. I'd rather see a RD1 or RD2 Olineman but.

Sign: Vincent Jackson or Marques Colston, or Dwayne Bowe

RD1 - Defensive End

RD2 - Cornerback

RD3 - Guard/Center

RD3 - Wide Receiver

RD4 - Linebacker

RD5 - Offensive Tackle

RD6 - Tight End

RD7 - Safety

And that draft, while entirely possible with these clowns, would make me puke. When OL and WR are so obviously the two top team needs, and both the OL and WR positions are non-singular, it's baffling that they would be ignored on the first day of the draft. I could see it happening, but it would be poor player management.

And that draft, while entirely possible with these clowns, would make me puke. When OL and WR are so obviously the two top team needs, and both the OL and WR positions are non-singular, it's baffling that they would be ignored on the first day of the draft. I could see it happening, but it would be poor player management.

Jason in his scenario he has taken care of the WR via FA and with this group his first couple of picks may fill glaring needs created by impending free agency on D. Quite a few of the secondary are all going to be unrestricted and so is Izzy.

This will probably make Jason puke also:

1 Mark Barron SS Alabama The consensus best safety in the draft.

2 Zebrie Sanders OT FLA ST This provides depth and competition at a position that needs it.

3 Nate Potter OT Boise State Though he is not truly protecting the blindside he has played LT for a couple of years and you can't pass him at this position.

3 AJ Jenkins WR Illinois This is a need pick that may be a good fit for this team in terms of toughness and playmaking ability.

4 Jeff Demps RB FLA This kid will probably record one of the fastest times in Combine history and he has fallen to this spot because of his lack of size.

5 Julian Miller DE West VA With Idonije without a contract and Peppers up in age you need to add a young prospect and keep Wooten healthy.

6Tashuan Gibson CB Wyoming Most of the secondary will be up for contracts this offseason, they may not be able to sign every body. this is a 6' CB with OK speed.

7 Isaiah Ballard S/KR Findlay This is a lemonej pick. He originally started out at Toledo in the MAC but transferred to division II Findlay in his last year. With 96 Tackles, 67 solo ,2 Ints, 6 FF and 4FRs and at 5-10 and 215 this is an older kid who also averaged 28.2 yards per kick return.

This will probably make Jason puke also:

1 Mark Barron SS Alabama The consensus best safety in the draft.

2 Zebrie Sanders OT FLA ST This provides depth and competition at a position that needs it.

3 Nate Potter OT Boise State Though he is not truly protecting the blindside he has played LT for a couple of years and you can't pass him at this position.

3 AJ Jenkins WR Illinois This is a need pick that may be a good fit for this team in terms of toughness and playmaking ability.

4 Jeff Demps RB FLA This kid will probably record one of the fastest times in Combine history and he has fallen to this spot because of his lack of size.

5 Julian Miller DE West VA With Idonije without a contract and Peppers up in age you need to add a young prospect and keep Wooten healthy.

6Tashuan Gibson CB Wyoming Most of the secondary will be up for contracts this offseason, they may not be able to sign every body. this is a 6' CB with OK speed.

7 Isaiah Ballard S/KR Findlay This is a lemonej pick. He originally started out at Toledo in the MAC but transferred to division II Findlay in his last year. With 96 Tackles, 67 solo ,2 Ints, 6 FF and 4FRs and at 5-10 and 215 this is an older kid who also averaged 28.2 yards per kick return.

Actually, I don't mind that one so much.

I'm not really a fan of getting a SS in the first round, since it's clear we've been searching for a FS, and not a SS for quite some time.

Hitting OL hard and heavy in the 2nd and 3rd is precisely what I've wanted for several years. It's two consequential picks spent on the team need. I can't ask for much more. I just get sick of the obligatory 7th round turd OLineman being used as evidence that OL has "been drafted."

Actually, I don't mind that one so much.

I'm not really a fan of getting a SS in the first round, since it's clear we've been searching for a FS, and not a SS for quite some time.

Hitting OL hard and heavy in the 2nd and 3rd is precisely what I've wanted for several years. It's two consequential picks spent on the team need. I can't ask for much more. I just get sick of the obligatory 7th round turd OLineman being used as evidence that OL has "been drafted."

Niether am I but my thinking is that this guy is going to drop to them and if you really want to shore up the position then you take the top rated player at that position. Major Wright when healthy looks to be decent but health is the problem. When Steltz was inserted in the lineup before Merriwether last week that tells me he may not be back. So with Steltz unrestricted and Merriwether gone there is no one besides Wright and Conte who looks like he gets it. They wil be adding some bodies to the mix.

Not knowing the details of the players, the positions and physical attributes look good to me.

Using Draft Teks latest 4 round mock..... I wouldn't mind this:

RD1 Michael Floyd WR ND 6-3 238

RD2 Peter Konz C Wis 6-5-313

RD3 Kevin Zeitler G Wis 6-4 320

RD3 Cam Johnson DE Vir 6-3 270

RD4 Donnie Fletcher CB BC 6-1 198

Which offensive lineman from the Bears current group is going to be benched in favor of a rookie?

I would put Konz next to Garza, replacing Spencer. Garza don't have much left a year or two, even though he's pry our most consistant OL.

Then Zietler can battle the Williams brothers (Edwin/Chris) for the other side. Then for the 2013 year, release Garza and you have an oline of:

Webb or Rookie LT, C Williams LG, P Konz C, Zietler RG, G Carimi RT

I would put Konz next to Garza, replacing Spencer. Garza don't have much left a year or two, even though he's pry our most consistant OL.

Then Zietler can battle the Williams brothers (Edwin/Chris) for the other side. Then for the 2013 year, release Garza and you have an oline of:

Webb or Rookie LT, C Williams LG, P Konz C, Zietler RG, G Carimi RT

Garza was just signed to a 2 year extension and you've benched Louis, who was the Bears best O-lineman for the first 1/2 of the season when he was playing Guard.

This is why I don't like taking an O-Lineman in the first or 2nd round this year.

Garza was just signed to a 2 year extension and you've benched Louis, who was the Bears best O-lineman for the first 1/2 of the season when he was playing Guard.

This is why I don't like taking an O-Lineman in the first or 2nd round this year.

I would add an offensive lineman from RDs 1,2, or 3 every year. We are praying converted TE's and 7th RD picks can protect our QB. They have looked decent, but I would also add the Bears have schemed alot to work with the group they have. They find ways to help with chip blocks and shorter drops, roll outs etc.

Our biggest needs right now are either to protect Cutler so we have a QB or to draft his replacement.

I would add an offensive lineman from RDs 1,2, or 3 every year. We are praying converted TE's and 7th RD picks can protect our QB. They have looked decent, but I would also add the Bears have schemed alot to work with the group they have. They find ways to help with chip blocks and shorter drops, roll outs etc.

Our biggest needs right now are either to protect Cutler so we have a QB or to draft his replacement.

I could see drafting a 3rd round O-Lineman this year if there's one that the team's scouts really like, but if you're not drafting a starter, then it's a mistake to spend your first round pick on an O-Lineman. You spend a first or 2nd rounder on O-Line, you better be getting a guy who is penciling into your Line on day 1. Even if he needs some time to develop, there needs to be a spot for him.

The biggest need, IMO, is not to protect Cutler, the Bears have invested a ton of assets in that. I don't care whether a guy is a 7th round pick or a converted TE if he's played like a starting NFL Offensive lineman this year, and those 2 have done exactly that.

The Bears' biggest need right now is for someone who Cutler can reliably throw to, and I'm going to be saying that the whole offseason. It will speed the offense up if Cutler has a target who is reliably open or able to make plays quickly, and it will give him a quick out option when the opposition Blitzes that he currently doesn't have. Should the Bears address that need in FA, then I would actually put the first and 2nd round picks onto the defensive side of the ball. #1 need is a WR, however it is addressed.

The O-Line needs depth, but it has a good set of 5-6 capable starters. What it is missing is a backup LT, because Omiyale is in that role currently and he doesn't belong on the practice squad, let alone ever getting a start. That's the kind of position I think you can fill with either a late round pick or with a $2 million, Chris Spencer level signing on the free agent market.

Using Draft Teks latest 4 round mock..... I wouldn't mind this:

RD1 Michael Floyd WR ND 6-3 238

RD2 Peter Konz C Wis 6-5-313

RD3 Kevin Zeitler G Wis 6-4 320

RD3 Cam Johnson DE Vir 6-3 270

RD4 Donnie Fletcher CB BC 6-1 198

HELL YES.

Which offensive lineman from the Bears current group is going to be benched in favor of a rookie?

Right now it's Webb-E.Williams-Garza-Spencer-Louis.

With the draft proposed above, this seems easy to me for next year.

LT - Carimi. I don't care how much the staff likes him, or how good he looks getting off the bus, Webb will never be better than below average. Carimi was drafted to be a LT. Period. Let him develop as one and avoid the same mistakes made with Chris Williams.

LG - Garza. He gets to go home to a more familiar position. And he helps Carimi transition.

C - Konz. Good enough as a rookie to start.

RG - Spencer and Zeitler battle for the starting job. Zeitler probably wins and has consistency with Konz in the middle.

RT - Louis battles Chris Williams for the starting job. I'm still not giving up on Williams, who, when healthy, has done fairly well.

Carimi/Webb - Garza/E.Williams - Konz/Garza - Zeitler/Spencer - Louis/C.Williams sounds pretty damn good to me.

I could see drafting a 3rd round O-Lineman this year if there's one that the team's scouts really like, but if you're not drafting a starter, then it's a mistake to spend your first round pick on an O-Lineman. You spend a first or 2nd rounder on O-Line, you better be getting a guy who is penciling into your Line on day 1. Even if he needs some time to develop, there needs to be a spot for him.

The biggest need, IMO, is not to protect Cutler, the Bears have invested a ton of assets in that. I don't care whether a guy is a 7th round pick or a converted TE if he's played like a starting NFL Offensive lineman this year, and those 2 have done exactly that.

The Bears' biggest need right now is for someone who Cutler can reliably throw to, and I'm going to be saying that the whole offseason. It will speed the offense up if Cutler has a target who is reliably open or able to make plays quickly, and it will give him a quick out option when the opposition Blitzes that he currently doesn't have. Should the Bears address that need in FA, then I would actually put the first and 2nd round picks onto the defensive side of the ball. #1 need is a WR, however it is addressed.

The O-Line needs depth, but it has a good set of 5-6 capable starters. What it is missing is a backup LT, because Omiyale is in that role currently and he doesn't belong on the practice squad, let alone ever getting a start. That's the kind of position I think you can fill with either a late round pick or with a $2 million, Chris Spencer level signing on the free agent market.

It still amazes me that anyone, particularly a Bears fan who has seen all the games this season, can say the Bears have 5-6 capable starters on the offensive line. I guess we just have differing opinions on what constitutes "capable." I only see 2 currently playing (Garza & Louis), and that's hesitant on Louis since he shit the bed the last two weeks. Maybe 1 or 2 more if/when Carimi and C.Williams come back from injury. IF. And filling the LT role with a late round pick or a Chris Spencer clone is only putting a bandaid on a head wound, and guaranteeing the exact same situation year after year after year...which is precisely what the Bears have done.

Also, the philosophical differences in drafts is one of those things that everyone disagrees on. I say if you hold the OL to the "draft him in the 1st and he has to start immediately"-rule, then you do the same for every other position. Because when it comes down to it, that's about money.

I guess we'll butt heads all offseason, because I can't reasonably fathom how anyone who has watched the Bears over the last few years, and presumably understands football, could disagree with the facts that the OL is still very weak, still a major detriment to any sort of consistent offense, still a reason the offense can't implement any sort of successful downfield game (which ties directly to the room WRs receive to get open), and still a major cause for the lack of WR development in Chicago. Do you honestly believe the Bears just have missed on WRs every single time, or do you think MuhMuh was right when he said it's where "WRs go to die"? I happen to think it's the latter, because the Bears haven't put focus on QB & OL. The QB situation is handled. The OL, which ties directly into protecting the #1 asset on the team, making him feel comfortable, and allowing him the time to throw darts all over the field, is not under control.

For some reason I just have a feeling the Bears will reach for somebody like Ryan Broyles from Oklahoma. That just sounds like a Bears pick to me. I'm hoping for someone like Michael Floyd, or Alshon Jeffery in round 1. If those guys are not available, I think it's worth considering a guy like Nick Toon or Dwight Jones depending on who's available to us. There are alot of routes the Bears could go early in the draft this year. Maybe a guy like Quintin Coples drops to us, then we could pair him up with Peppers. You never know. It happens every year in the draft, where someone you think is going high ends up falling 6-7-8 spots in the draft for whatever reason.

It still amazes me that anyone, particularly a Bears fan who has seen all the games this season, can say the Bears have 5-6 capable starters on the offensive line. I guess we just have differing opinions on what constitutes "capable." I only see 2 currently playing (Garza & Louis), and that's hesitant on Louis since he shit the bed the last two weeks. Maybe 1 or 2 more if/when Carimi and C.Williams come back from injury. IF. And filling the LT role with a late round pick or a Chris Spencer clone is only putting a bandaid on a head wound, and guaranteeing the exact same situation year after year after year...which is precisely what the Bears have done.

Also, the philosophical differences in drafts is one of those things that everyone disagrees on. I say if you hold the OL to the "draft him in the 1st and he has to start immediately"-rule, then you do the same for every other position. Because when it comes down to it, that's about money.

I guess we'll butt heads all offseason, because I can't reasonably fathom how anyone who has watched the Bears over the last few years, and presumably understands football, could disagree with the facts that the OL is still very weak, still a major detriment to any sort of consistent offense, still a reason the offense can't implement any sort of successful downfield game (which ties directly to the room WRs receive to get open), and still a major cause for the lack of WR development in Chicago. Do you honestly believe the Bears just have missed on WRs every single time, or do you think MuhMuh was right when he said it's where "WRs go to die"? I happen to think it's the latter, because the Bears haven't put focus on QB & OL. The QB situation is handled. The OL, which ties directly into protecting the #1 asset on the team, making him feel comfortable, and allowing him the time to throw darts all over the field, is not under control.

I think when we hit the winning streak, those deficiencies get overlooked. Our Oline group looks alright when theres a W, because it really doesn't matter how we win or what it looked like. But a lot of that success came from changing our offense to 3 or 5 step drops, shortening our routes, more max protections, using the RB in pass plays, and huge plays on S/T and D. How many years now has Forte been a leader in receptions. Our WR's need an upgrade also, but it's hard to evaluate when they are limited with 3 step drops and a CB playing man. Give them time and a playbook that includes 7 seven step drops and our group may look a little bit better.

I understand not wanting a boring offensive lineman, but a good one can anchor a team for 10 years and make others around him better.

So, you give 4 competent O-Linemen when Carimi and C. Williams are healthy. That basically means your entire problem with the O-Line is Webb right now. I'll admit, Webb is not the best lineman in the league, but he is no where near bad enough that he should be replaced by a rookie. We already had one person in this thread go after him because he was a 7th round pick and ignore the fact that he's played fairly well this season.

Webb is still a work in progress, everyone will admit that. IMO, the biggest thing he needs to do is cut down on the penalties...he's actually done a fairly good job of being an effective blocker this year. The penalties have hurt, but that is the kind of thing that you're not going to improve upon by replacing the guy with a rookie.

Quite simply, I don't see that any of the proposed setups people have offered here will provide a substantial upgrade over Webb, and I think he's going to keep getting better the longer he plays; he's already playing leaps and bounds above last season and that was with the lockout in place.

This Bears O-Line never had Carimi all year, and aside from the games where Omiyale started, Cutler had time to throw and the RB's had exceptional holes. Webb's guy in particular often does little damage: he has Jared Allen's number for some reason.

I understand you've been a bit down on Louis because he hasn't been there the last couple weeks, but that's also while playing out of position.