Postgame thoughts

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Being there live, here were my thoughts:

-Tebow sucks. He did nothing today. Yes, he threw for 191 yards from the 4th quarter on, but that was because of the defense the Bears were set up in.

-Barber was good all game, and then he does s*** you learn not to do in 3rd grade when he went out of bounds. Then, he fumbled in OT when if he would've went down, they'd be attempting a 52 yard FG for the win.

-I thought Briggs was great.

-Hanie sucks. He's been in the league for 4 years. Make it throw. Quit tucking it away after 2 seconds and either throwing or passing. Step up and make a big boy throw.

-Hester does some dumb things. He needs to stay on ST. Even there today though, he called for 2 fair catches when I thought he should've tried to make a play.

-Louis has been awful these past 2 weeks.

-Why switch to a mostly prevent D? They had ZERO points vs regular defense for 56 minutes.

-The Denver fans were nice for the most part. It was about 70-30 percent Broncos fans, but there were TONS of Bears fans.

-I stayed at the Bears hotel and all of the players were cool, minus a few guys.

I'm sorry you paid good money for that...

Who on the Bears wasn't cool?

-Tebow sucks. He did nothing today. Yes, he threw for 191 yards from the 4th quarter on, but that was because of the defense the Bears were set up in.

-Barber was good all game, and then he does s*** you learn not to do in 3rd grade when he went out of bounds. Then, he fumbled in OT when if he would've went down, they'd be attempting a 52 yard FG for the win.

-Hanie sucks. He's been in the league for 4 years. Make it throw. Quit tucking it away after 2 seconds and either throwing or passing. Step up and make a big boy throw.

-Hester does some dumb things. He needs to stay on ST. Even there today though, he called for 2 fair catches when I thought he should've tried to make a play.

-Why switch to a mostly prevent D? They had ZERO points vs regular defense for 56 minutes.

-The Denver fans were nice for the most part. It was about 70-30 percent Broncos fans, but there were TONS of Bears fans.

-I stayed at the Bears hotel and all of the players were cool, minus a few guys.

I highlighted the main reasons for the loss.

Also, it's interesting that in the stadium you thought Hester shouldn't have called FC on a few of the kicks. In my experience, it always seems faster live and there seems to be less room for error. However, I agree with you; I thought he called FC a little early a few times.

Also, it's interesting that in the stadium you thought Hester shouldn't have called FC on a few of the kicks. In my experience, it always seems faster live and there seems to be less room for error. However, I agree with you; I thought he called FC a little early a few times.

I think our safeties were lined up deeper than Tebow could throw and the corners were at least 10 yards off the ball. Hell, Url was 20 yards deep a couple of times.

Hanie may suck, but he did what he needed to do to win the game. He gave our defense a 10-0 lead with 5 minutes to go. Our defensive coaching staff shit their pants the last few minutes. Just another reason I can't stand Lovie. It had his name all over it. I feel for Barber being portrayed as the goat. He made some unforgivable mistakes.(gamewise) But, he played his ass off in the effort.

Shocking I know, but I disagree here. Yes, the prevent D was a stupid idea, but don't forget the Bears got the ball with 2:05 left up 10-7. If Barber stays in bounds, the Broncos get the ball back with 16 seconds left instead of 56. They would've had to go about 40 yards for field goal range in 16 seconds without a timeout.

I'm sorry you paid good money for that...

Who on the Bears wasn't cool?

The main guy who wasn't a cool guy was Forte. He told everyone no pictures while every other player had no problem.

Peppers wasn't very friendly either.

Barber is the goat as he should be. He failed football 101 twice in that game. For a 7 year vet, it's completely inexcusable.

The D did bend and break, but to only give up 13 points on the road in a hostile environment in 5 quarters...that should be a win every time. Our O is just that pathetic.

I think our safeties were lined up deeper than Tebow could throw and the corners were at least 10 yards off the ball. Hell, Url was 20 yards deep a couple of times.

Hanie may suck, but he did what he needed to do to win the game. He gave our defense a 10-0 lead with 5 minutes to go. Our defensive coaching staff shit their pants the last few minutes. Just another reason I can't stand Lovie. It had his name all over it. I feel for Barber being portrayed as the goat. He made some unforgivable mistakes.(gamewise) But, he played his ass off in the effort.

BB,

I hope you had a good experience visiting Denver obviously not including the outcome of the game.

I am still mad about that.

Since I feel like I convinced you months ago that Denver is relatively mild during the winter I sure am relieved that the weather was great for the game. I was worried earlier in the week as there was a brief cold spell with temps in the low teens.

My buddy from Chicago came out and we had a great time, except the last 5 minutes.

ParkerBear

Shocking I know, but I disagree here. Yes, the prevent D was a stupid idea, but don't forget the Bears got the ball with 2:05 left up 10-7. If Barber stays in bounds, the Broncos get the ball back with 16 seconds left instead of 56. They would've had to go about 40 yards for field goal range in 16 seconds without a timeout.

sorry but i have to disagree. although barber made two glaring errors it NEVER should have come down to that type of situation in the first place. the coaching staff to me gets just as much if not more blame as barber.

this is not like some fluke that this cover 2 run by lovie has failed miserably and this time it has failed us right out of the playoffs. how can it be any surprise that when your corners and safeties play so far off the LOS they are beyond the first down markers and STILL backpeddling that they will give up a lot of yards, first downs and scores in a very short period of time? it's like being on the practice field for any QB to have receivers that wide open. even bad ones like t-bow.

to go into this soft of a pass defense with that much time on the clock, when you have seen place kickers hitting easily over 50 yards because you are in denver, your defensive line is plain TIRED and it shows, and you have a 2nd string QB who has not moved the ball in 3.8 quarters enough to trust him to KILL the clock is just plain poor coaching.

as far as denver getting the ball with 16 seconds left instead of 56... anybody at all remember the game against the freaking atlanta falcons a year or so ago when we had THAT game won also with 11 SECONDS left and they drive 50+ yards (or whatever the hell it was) to score the winning field goal???????

we have seen this time and time again and it just does NOT work consistently yet this coaching staff still believes it actually does without reservations.

sorry but i have to disagree. although barber made two glaring errors it NEVER should have come down to that type of situation in the first place. the coaching staff to me gets just as much if not more blame as barber.

this is not like some fluke that this cover 2 run by lovie has failed miserably and this time it has failed us right out of the playoffs. how can it be any surprise that when your corners and safeties play so far off the LOS they are beyond the first down markers and STILL backpeddling that they will give up a lot of yards, first downs and scores in a very short period of time? it's like being on the practice field for any QB to have receivers that wide open. even bad ones like t-bow.

to go into this soft of a pass defense with that much time on the clock, when you have seen place kickers hitting easily over 50 yards because you are in denver, your defensive line is plain TIRED and it shows, and you have a 2nd string QB who has not moved the ball in 3.8 quarters enough to trust him to KILL the clock is just plain poor coaching.

as far as denver getting the ball with 16 seconds left instead of 56... anybody at all remember the game against the freaking atlanta falcons a year or so ago when we had THAT game won also with 11 SECONDS left and they drive 50+ yards (or whatever the hell it was) to score the winning field goal???????

we have seen this time and time again and it just does NOT work consistently yet this coaching staff still believes it actually does without reservations.

Preaching to the chior here.

Trust him to kill the clock? It's not like you're trusting him with your daughter. He's a 7 year veteran. It shouldn't take trust; the dumbass has to know to stay in bounds. If he stays in bounds, the Broncos get the ball back with 16 seconds left and no timeouts. At that point, there is essentially NO WAY the Broncos can win.

Like I've said, the prevent D was a horrible idea, but if Barber stays in bounds, the Bears win 10-7.

Trust him to kill the clock? It's not like you're trusting him with your daughter. He's a 7 year veteran. It shouldn't take trust; the dumbass has to know to stay in bounds. If he stays in bounds, the Broncos get the ball back with 16 seconds left and no timeouts. At that point, there is essentially NO WAY the Broncos can win.

Like I've said, the prevent D was a horrible idea, but if Barber stays in bounds, the Bears win 10-7.

Let me ask you this...

If the Bears hadn't played prevent defense, was there a strong probability that Barber's boneheaded play wouldn't have mattered?

"no way" the bronco's can win in 16 seconds? didn't i just give you an example of losing a game to the falcons with ELEVEN SECONDS on the clock in atlanta and not in denver where the field goal kickers are hitting at well over 50 yards?

also i was talking about hanie killing the clock not barber. with as much time as was on the clock when we literally gave them the touchdown if we had played the type of defense we had all game we should have been able to kill a hell of a lot more time than it took them to score instead of hoping hanie could play out a first down in the following series.

Blaming Barber is like taking an aspirin for a headache, only to find you have a brain tumor. While it might be treating a symptom, it does not address the root cause. Our coaches screwed the pooch long before Barber. If you initiate the chokefest, expect your players to respond accordingly.

"no way" the bronco's can win in 16 seconds? didn't i just give you an example of losing a game to the falcons with ELEVEN SECONDS on the clock in atlanta and not in denver where the field goal kickers are hitting at well over 50 yards?

also i was talking about hanie killing the clock not barber. with as much time as was on the clock when we literally gave them the touchdown if we had played the type of defense we had all game we should have been able to kill a hell of a lot more time than it took them to score instead of hoping hanie could play out a first down in the following series.

This wasn't Matt Ryan, this was Tim Tebow. The Broncos were going to start at the 20, not the 40 or whatever Atlanta started at.

Let me ask you this...

If the Bears hadn't played prevent defense, was there a strong probability that Barber's boneheaded play wouldn't have mattered?

Yes.

If Barber stayed in bounds, was there a strong possibility that being in a prevent D and giving up 7 points in 60 minutes wouldn't have mattered?

Blaming Barber is like taking an aspirin for a headache, only to find you have a brain tumor. While it might be treating a symptom, it does not address the root cause. Our coaches screwed the pooch long before Barber. If you initiate the chokefest, expect your players to respond accordingly.

Screwed the pooch? By what, giving up 7 points?

Once again, it's OK to disagree on something. You guys aren't going to change my mind. They gave up, what should've been 7 points all game. At some point, the blame goes on the players. A 7 year veteran RB has to know to stay in bounds.

Once again, it's OK to disagree on something. You guys aren't going to change my mind. They gave up, what should've been 7 points all game. At some point, the blame goes on the players. A 7 year veteran RB has to know to stay in bounds.

By my count, they gave up 10 points in 2 minutes. All after the prevent.(ie: screwing the pooch) You change the mindset of your players when you do stuff like that.

I'm not trying to change your mind. The truth is your own to seek.

The loss is on Barber.

You hold an opponent on their own hostile turf to only 10 points in 4 quarters of play, that game should be easily won. This is Denver at home, not the Cardinals or Rams.

I hate what the D did personally. I prefer to lose fighting hard rather than sitting back...but they did enough throughout the entire game to enable the team to win if Barber doesn't blunder...twice.

The loss is on Barber.

You hold an opponent on their own hostile turf to only 10 points in 4 quarters of play, that game should be easily won. This is Denver at home, not the Cardinals or Rams.

I hate what the D did personally. I prefer to lose fighting hard rather than sitting back...but they did enough throughout the entire game to enable the team to win if Barber doesn't blunder...twice.

So, my Dad, brother and I are watching the game and there's about six minutes left. Then my brother calls it, "they are going into the "2 deep"! "We are gonna f#% around and throw this shutout away." Dad then says, hopefully they throw the game away. Few minutes later it's 10-7. The rest is history. Blame the little guy all you want, but he busted his ass to get us to the point of losing it for us. If we stay in the D we were in the rest of the game, we win 10-0. Can you not honestly say that you didn't say, "oh shit, we are in that god forsaken prevent." ?? LOL Barber made a mistake, the rest was gameplanned. Lovie started it, Barber finished it.

The loss is on Barber.

I'm not gonna shoot Barber for the fumble, it's football that happens plus it was his first fumble in 308 touches.

By my count, they gave up 10 points in 2 minutes. All after the prevent.(ie: screwing the pooch) You change the mindset of your players when you do stuff like that.

I'm not trying to change your mind. The truth is your own to seek.

IF BARBER STAYS IN BOUNDS THEY GIVE UP 7 POINTS, NOT 10.

If you give up (what should've been) 7 points on the road, you should win.

Yes.

If Barber stayed in bounds, was there a strong possibility that being in a prevent D and giving up 7 points in 60 minutes wouldn't have mattered?

I think you completely misunderstood my post. And you certainly failed to comprehend the cause-effect nature of things. The prevent defense came before Barber ran out of bounds. It's not the other way around.

If the Bears hadn't played prevent defense, would the fumble by Barber have mattered? The first 56 minutes or so of the game say that the fumble wouldn't have mattered.

I said the same thing. They are going to give up the score in order to take time off the clock. I was actually thinking they may hold them once near the goal line, but the secondary F'ed up.

The only thing little about Barber is his brain... He physically did just fine, but failed the game on a mental level. That's where I lay blame. Let's not forget all the droped passes Tebow also had. There was no guarantee that he wouldn't bomb away and hit the open guy with even more time on the clock.

Again, I personally don't like it. But I understand why it was done. It was a chess move and had everyone on the Bears been playing chess, we'd have won. barber decided to not think and cost us the game based on the coaching game plan.

I am not that big of a fan of Smith or his ways. But what he called was going to work as long as someone didn't commit a bonehead error.

So, my Dad, brother and I are watching the game and there's about six minutes left. Then my brother calls it, "they are going into the "2 deep"! "We are gonna f#% around and throw this shutout away." Dad then says, hopefully they throw the game away. Few minutes later it's 10-7. The rest is history. Blame the little guy all you want, but he busted his ass to get us to the point of losing it for us. If we stay in the D we were in the rest of the game, we win 10-0. Can you not honestly say that you didn't say, "oh shit, we are in that god forsaken prevent." ?? LOL Barber made a mistake, the rest was gameplanned. Lovie started it, Barber finished it.

The fumble is forgivable...a physical act of failure is far more understandable than a mental one. But given his previous error, he is on a curved grading scale than if otherwise.

I'm not gonna shoot Barber for the fumble, it's football that happens plus it was his first fumble in 308 touches.

I think you completely misunderstood my post. And you certainly failed to comprehend the cause-effect nature of things. The prevent defense came before Barber ran out of bounds. It's not the other way around.

If the Bears hadn't played prevent defense, would the fumble by Barber have mattered? The first 56 minutes or so of the game say that the fumble wouldn't have mattered.

I understand your POV, but why is this so hard to understand from my point of view? If Barber holds onto the ball, the Bears horrible act of going into a prevent D only costs them 7 points for 60 minutes. If you go on the road and give up 7 points in 60 minutes, you should win. If you're a 7 year NFL veteran, you should know if you stay in bounds, you win a football game in this case. Maybe nobody told him to. In that case, Hanie is an even bigger moron than I thought. Nobody should have to help the man, though. End of discussion.