Newest Offseason 12/14/11

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Trade Briggs to the Giants for Osi Umenyiora.

Trade Knox for a 5th.

Extend Idonije, Urlacher, Graham, and Okoye.

Cut Omiyale, Wootton, and Spaeth.

Sign Robert Meachem, John Carlson (with a new OC, the Bears need an actual TE), and Kyle Orton.

Franchise Forte.

1) Reily Reiff, LT, Iowa

---All of you know me as the guy who never wants OT's this high. However, there's a good chance the Bears will be in position to draft a future LT in round 1 rather than a guy later in round 1 who might be a RT. Reiff could actually play LT in the NFL.

2) Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa

---I didn't do this on purpose with 2 Iowa guys, but I love McNutt. He's a very good player. I posted a link to some of his highlights, and he can really play. He reminds me of Roy Williams...except with talent...and a clue. Yes, it might seem the Bears should stop with Meachem, but in my offseason, the Bears will be letting Williams walk and moving Hester primarily to ST and a few trick plays. Also, don't forget I have Knox being dealt.

3) Sean Spence, OLB, Miami

---With Briggs gone (in my scenario), the Bears will need a replacement for him. In 3rd round, Spence is great value.

3) Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut

---In a year where nobody gives a s*** about Big East football, Reyes has been a bright spot for the Huskies. He's very physical and can even play some DE.

4) Lucas Nix, OG, Pittsburgh

---Nix suffered an injury earlier in the year and that may have set him back. Regardless, getting a player with the talent Nix has in round 4 would be nice.

5) TY Hilton, WR, Florida International

---Hilton reminds me of Victor Cruz. Small guy but makes big plays. Also, in my scenario, Knox is gone, so this is his replacement on ST and as a speedy WR here and there.

5) Jerrell Gavins, CB, Boise State

---As you can see, I don't have the Bears bringing back Corey Graham. It's not that I hate him or anything, but he can play CB somewhere else so the Bears won't be able to match an offer. Gavins could eventually fill in for him as a good ST player.

6) Chris Galippo, LB, Southern California

---He could play ST, but he'll never start as a LB. As a USC fan, I've seen him play and he's way too slow for that.

7) Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame

---What's a Bears draft without a safety?

QB: Cutler, Orton, Enderle

RB: Forte, Barber, Bell

FB: Clutts

TE: Carlson and Davis

WR: Bennett, Meachem, McNutt, Hilton, Sanzenbacher, Hester

OL: Reiff, Williams, Garza, Louis, Carimi (subs: Nix, Webb, Spencer)

DE: Umenyiora, Peppers, Idonije

DT: Toeaina, Paea, Melton, Reyes, Okoye

LB: Urlacher, Spence, Roach, DeCicco, Galippo

CB: Moore, Tillman, Gavins, Jennings

S: Conte, Steltz, Wright, Smith, Venable

(I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys, but you get the idea)

Trade Briggs to the Giants for Osi Umenyiora.

Trade Knox for a 5th.

Extend Idonije, Urlacher, Graham, and Okoye.

Cut Omiyale, Wootton, and Spaeth.

Sign Robert Meachem, John Carlson (with a new OC, the Bears need an actual TE), and Kyle Orton.

Franchise Forte...

Not a horrible concept.

I'd like to see Umenyiora on the opposite side of Peppers, but for some reason I don't see that as necessarily a great thing. Osi is not as good as Peppers, and certainly not the all-around player that Peppers is. That's a problem in a defense that appears to limit the sack potential of DEs.

Getting rid of Knox and Williams, and moving Hester primarily to ST (I don't disagree), leaves only Bennett and Sanz at WR. And only Bennett matters in that equation. Meachem would be an intriguing sign, but I think he could have slightly inflated numbers because of Brees and that NO offense. So, you hesitate on the McNutt pick, but I think if everything played out as you mention, that wouldn't be a hard pick for the Bears' staff. That's too much change-over for them not to hedge their bets a little bit. I don't see how they could sign a WR AND draft two though.

I wonder if New Orleans will franchise Carl Nicks again or if they'll use it on Colston? Whoever doesn't get the franchise tag should be the guy the Bears target in FA imo.

Agreed. I wouldn't give a shit who they drafted in the 1st if the Bears targeted Nicks and got him.

I wonder if New Orleans will franchise Carl Nicks again or if they'll use it on Colston? Whoever doesn't get the franchise tag should be the guy the Bears target in FA imo.

I totally forgot about Nicks getting tagged, good point.

However, I would pass on Colston. He's strictly a slot WR right now and he's only played a full season in 2 of his 6 seasons. Also, his numbers are better than what they'd be here since he's in NO. (yes, I know I have the Bears signing Meachem, but he'd also be about $5m/year cheaper than Colston so that'd be more worth the risk IMO)