Knox to have surgery on Monday

balta1701-A

Chicago Bears wide receiver Johnny Knox will undergo back surgery Monday to stabilize vertebrae in his back, the team announced.

Knox was injured in the first quarter of the team's 38-14 loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at Soldier Field. A club spokesman said the "prognosis is good" for Knox's continued career and quality of life.

Knox was injured after he fumbled and went for the ball on the ground. Seattle defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove dove and hit Knox's upper torso, violently bending back his upper body. The game was delayed for at least five minutes while medical personnel tended to Knox on the field. He was placed on a board and taken off the field on a cart to a waiting ambulance and then the hospital.

Coach Lovie Smith was upbeat about Knox's situation after the game.

"Johnny has total movement thoughhout his body," Smith said. "Has total use of all of his extremities, which is good. He is not paralyzed or anything like that."

While no announcement has been made, it's fair to assume Knox's 2011 season has ended with just two regular-season games remaining.

Link

Didn't get to catch the game but everyone was telling me about it so I had to watch it on youtube. Wow, he was lucky he didn't die on that hit because of the way he fell on him. I hope his surgery goes well and if he can come back for next season I would be stunned. However, that still doesn't change the fact that I still want him gone after this season. He and Roy Williams are bad at receiving, and Hester needs to be restricted to just returning punts/kickoffs while the new draftees and or signees can begin our new receiving core.

It's sad. he showed such promise early on, but never really progressed. Again, is it that this staff cannot develop players? There seems to be a lot of these circumstances...

Granted Bennett has improved. But still, it seems we only get great when we bring in a Peppers or Cutler. Already proven guys...

Didn't get to catch the game but everyone was telling me about it so I had to watch it on youtube. Wow, he was lucky he didn't die on that hit because of the way he fell on him. I hope his surgery goes well and if he can come back for next season I would be stunned. However, that still doesn't change the fact that I still want him gone after this season. He and Roy Williams are bad at receiving, and Hester needs to be restricted to just returning punts/kickoffs while the new draftees and or signees can begin our new receiving core.

It's sad. he showed such promise early on, but never really progressed. Again, is it that this staff cannot develop players? There seems to be a lot of these circumstances...

Granted Bennett has improved. But still, it seems we only get great when we bring in a Peppers or Cutler. Already proven guys...

I think Melton has really developed into a nice player.

Peace :bringit

I like the improvement on Melton, but he's also been silent a lot of the year. He's worth keeping around for sure, but he needs to produce more. Paea could be a pleasant surprise. He's shown signs.

I like Melton too, i also think Oymboe(sp???) can turn out too, He has gotten some good pressure this year. I think DJ Moore has been brought along nicely. Also i agree with Paea, i think he will turn out waaaayyy better then Gilbert(mister i can jump out of a pool which has nothing to do with playing the game of football!).

Imagine if JA didnt take Bazuin and Gilbert, the Bazuin pick in the second round never sat well with me. I just didnt get it. Gilbert i didnt know much about but with his size speed and strength i thought Ok maybe.

I would throw the Dan Bazuin pick as the worst one made by JA, first because it was in the 2nd round and second because even though he went to the same college i played at CMU, we should not have been drafting a DE from the MAC, esp in the 2nd round. Jason Taylor was drafted in the 3rd round. You got a better chance drafting a WR from the MAC.

Most the guys on the D line are ok. But, other than peppers none are that great. With all that peppers brings to the table, not one single Bear shined at all. That is a concern. You'd think someone would benefit from the double teams, etc...but not really. No one played bad. But no one truly shined other than in mere flashes here and there.

I like Melton too, i also think Oymboe(sp???) can turn out too, He has gotten some good pressure this year. I think DJ Moore has been brought along nicely. Also i agree with Paea, i think he will turn out waaaayyy better then Gilbert(mister i can jump out of a pool which has nothing to do with playing the game of football!).

Imagine if JA didnt take Bazuin and Gilbert, the Bazuin pick in the second round never sat well with me. I just didnt get it. Gilbert i didnt know much about but with his size speed and strength i thought Ok maybe.

I would throw the Dan Bazuin pick as the worst one made by JA, first because it was in the 2nd round and second because even though he went to the same college i played at CMU, we should not have been drafting a DE from the MAC, esp in the 2nd round. Jason Taylor was drafted in the 3rd round. You got a better chance drafting a WR from the MAC.

I like the improvement on Melton, but he's also been silent a lot of the year. He's worth keeping around for sure, but he needs to produce more. Paea could be a pleasant surprise. He's shown signs.

Melton is among league leaders in sacks from the DT position! I don't know why he is not on the field more along with Paea?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?sea...;qualified=true

Yeah, what if JA would have been proactive and went OL instead of Baxuin and Gilbert maybe this would not be among the worst units in all of football.

The coaching is definitely to Blame for not scheming around players strengths. Lovie et ol is constantly putting guys in positions that do not take full advantage of there overall strengths.

FOR EXAMPLE:

Johnny Knox is a Willie Gault (from what I remember) type guy with very good speed but does not have the physicality to be a slot or possession WR. Knox just does not attack the ball in the air and will never be that type of player. He needs to be used to stretch the field PERIOD which helps keep a DEF honest.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Self explanatory: we have a RT playing LT, another RG Playing Center, a Center Playing RG, and a RG playing RT its no wonder this unit has struggled.

HESTER: Hall of Fame KR/PR starting at WR

K Davis: could be a redzone beast and reliable critical possession target but often used as additional protection and rarely does Martz take advantage of the potential mismatch his size could present.

FB: actually glad to have one this year.

COVER POO: only prevented a win in DENVER! Very tired of this style where year in and year out the safeties are late covering when a CB fails to jam and allows the WR a clean release only to see the opposing QB make an easy lob pass TD.

Back to OFFENSE: sometimes simple is better. I was at first excited to have Martz but now realize his O much like Lovies D are not compatible with todays schemes. To me its apparent that a backup in the system for a couple years can't run the O than maybe its time to find a new scheme that fits the personnel on the current team. Just look what being a little creative and flexible could allow:Denver's Mike McCoy seems to be getting more than expected out of Tebow mainly due to adjusting the play calling to what the players can actually do well.

Yeah, what if JA would have been proactive and went OL instead of Baxuin and Gilbert maybe this would not be among the worst units in all of football.

I totally agree, it blows my mind when JA says we are happy with our Oline. Everyone outside of the Bears FO has been screaming Oline for years!!!