Postgame thoughts

Ed Hochuli 3:16

1. Thank god this travesty of a season is 7 days from being over.

2. Is anyone going to begin to listen to me now when I say it's not even funny to make fun of JA always drafting DE's and DT's? They clearly need help there. Melton and Peppers are the only good players, and even they were MIA today. Toeaina and Idonije suck.

3. McCown was decent enough, I guess. Bell is a keeper IMO.

4. Williams played good today, but he'll be gone next year. I'm still on the fence with Sanzenbacher. Hester is a ST player who has looked like s*** lately (yes, I know he's hurt).

5. Bowman is horrible. For everyone who wanted Jennings out...happy now? Bowman stinks. Oh, and Major Wright has no instincts at all. I think Steltz can be a decent SS. Now, it's just up to the FO to find a FS, whether it's Conte or someone else.

6. The OL was decent today, especially in run blocking.

1. Thank god this travesty of a season is 7 days from being over.

2. Is anyone going to begin to listen to me now when I say it's not even funny to make fun of JA always drafting DE's and DT's? They clearly need help there. Melton and Peppers are the only good players, and even they were MIA today. Toeaina and Idonije suck.

4. Williams played good today, but he'll be gone next year. I'm still on the fence with Sanzenbacher. Hester is a ST player who has looked like s*** lately (yes, I know he's hurt).

5. Bowman is horrible. For everyone who wanted Jennings out...happy now? Bowman stinks. Oh, and Major Wright has no instincts at all. I think Steltz can be a decent SS. Now, it's just up to the FO to find a FS, whether it's Conte or someone else.

Williams can go.

I was wrong on Bowman. Both Bowman and Jennings can go. Wright is under contract for 2 more years. He should be relegated to special teams for now.

Peace

Bowman really was the culprit of some amazing throws from Rodgers. It's not Bowman's fault lovie refused to give him help on one on one coverage at the goal line. He actually played it fairly well but Rodgers kept placing the ball perfectly each and every time. I really don't think Bowman had as bad of a game as it seems. That was a clinic of how to orchestrate an offense.

I'll try to defend Bowman on at those goal line plays as well and say that he looked intimidated. He might as well have been closing his eyes and flailing his arms when he should have been breaking those passes up. But it's tough to evaluate a guy who's thrown in at the last minute against maybe the league's best passing offense. At the goal line, if you run your route perfectly and the ball is thrown perfectly, it's almost impossible to stop a 2 yard gain. The reality is we shouldn't have let them get that close to the goal line to begin with.

I'll try to defend Bowman on at those goal line plays as well and say that he looked intimidated. He might as well have been closing his eyes and flailing his arms when he should have been breaking those passes up. But it's tough to evaluate a guy who's thrown in at the last minute against maybe the league's best passing offense. At the goal line, if you run your route perfectly and the ball is thrown perfectly, it's almost impossible to stop a 2 yard gain. The reality is we shouldn't have let them get that close to the goal line to begin with.

Its not about what we have its what we dont have. We need two CBs, another try at saftey, a back up QB(so this dont happen again) two WRs,(a real #1), two OL and a pass catching TE. Oh and a DT that can play consistent. Other than that we will need to replace 3 LBs after next year, and we have a good team. Now we need someone that can evaluate talent, to pick it and then get them on the field. I see Bear Hell coming soon.

Funny thing. Mark Anderson is looking damn good right now. (see #6) JA can't draft and Lovie can't coach em up. At some point, heads should roll, but we don't have an executive footall smart enough to put their finger on it.

We would have won 3 of 4 before the Packer game with McCown. Again, from JA to Martz, our staff are idiots.

YES

Disagree on Bowman. Our dumbass coaches would have let him get beat on the goal line another 10 times before they ley him try to jam the reciever. Doesn't everyone on earth know that's the only way to stop that play from "man" coverage? He got screwed by the staff. Jury is out on Wright. Funny thing, it looks like D Manning is an integral part of a really good D this year. (coaching ??, see #2)

I'm indifferent. They just played against one of the most unmotivated D's in the NFL.

My final thoughts on the season are this. If it were all perfect and no-one got hurt, we would not have been a contender. Just enough to compete, yes. Our leadership cheaped out on us this year. We could have have the extra pass rush help, OL help and a decent WR, but they pocketed the extra money. Sorry, the cheap card has been played again. It's OK, they'll use Martz as the scapegoat for it. I'm so through with the 3 Stooges.

Damn that is sad. I see it too...

Its not about what we have its what we dont have. We need two CBs, another try at saftey, a back up QB(so this dont happen again) two WRs,(a real #1), two OL and a pass catching TE. Oh and a DT that can play consistent. Other than that we will need to replace 3 LBs after next year, and we have a good team. Now we need someone that can evaluate talent, to pick it and then get them on the field. I see Bear Hell coming soon.

Disagree on Bowman. Our dumbass coaches would have let him get beat on the goal line another 10 times before they ley him try to jam the reciever. Doesn't everyone on earth know that's the only way to stop that play from "man" coverage? He got screwed by the staff. Jury is out on Wright. Funny thing, it looks like D Manning is an integral part of a really good D this year. (coaching ??, see #2)

i have to disagree.

they wouldn't have been beaten 10 times on that goal line defensive scheme, they would have been beaten us a thousand times in a row.

the only question was which way was the receiver would break, left or right, to catch the touchdown pass. you would have thought after seeing it the first time our coaching staff would have countered it by having bowman jam him at the LOS. but after THREE or FOUR times the same stupid play??? this is a testament to how really poor our coaches are.

it was undefendable the way our coaching staff set bowman up. it is absolutely impossible to defend even if it would have been charles woodson in his prime unless maybe they thought bowman was really reed richards in disguise?

no wonder the packers were laughing at us.

Funny thing. Mark Anderson is looking damn good right now. (see #6) JA can't draft and Lovie can't coach em up. At some point, heads should roll, but we don't have an executive footall smart enough to put their finger on it.

We would have won 3 of 4 before the Packer game with McCown. Again, from JA to Martz, our staff are idiots.

YES

I'm indifferent. They just played against one of the most unmotivated D's in the NFL.

My final thoughts on the season are this. If it were all perfect and no-one got hurt, we would not have been a contender. Just enough to compete, yes. Our leadership cheaped out on us this year. We could have have the extra pass rush help, OL help and a decent WR, but they pocketed the extra money. Sorry, the cheap card has been played again. It's OK, they'll use Martz as the scapegoat for it. I'm so through with the 3 Stooges.

Almost exactly my thoughts. Coaching, drafting, owning. And when talent does get selected, I don't have confidence in the coaches to turn that talent into on-field production.

McCown would have to be considered as a possible No. 2 quarterback for the future, especially if Mike Martz returns as offensive coordinator. He’s athletic and maybe the best thing he showed was poise in the pocket.

“I think everything you do, you have to look at the performance,” Smith said. “The performance Josh put in last night was impressive so that’s why we can get so much done this week. We want to see him have an opportunity to come back and play again this coming week. You normally can find a spot for a player that played the way he played last night.”

One again, Smith seemed to throw cold water on the idea of playing rookie fifth-round draft pick Nathan Enderle, even in a game with no playoffs in the picture.

“Playoffs, yes,” Smith said in acknowledging that the Bears were out of postseason contention. “But there is so much else we can gain from this. It’s not a tryout period for us. We’re going to go with the quarterback that gives us the best opportunity to win, period. And that’s Josh. So Nathan will have his time. He’s a good quarterback for the future but that future isn’t now.”

Why isn’t there a tryout period?

“Others may do it differently but for us it would be pretty hard to tell the rest of the guys, ‘Hey, we’ve got a tryout period going here, we don’t really care if we win, we just want to see this guy play,’” Smith said. “ We won’t do it that way.”

It’s a reasonable bet Kahlil Bell is now in position to overtake Marion Barber as the backup running back after Bell rushed for 121 yards. Barber sat out with a calf muscle injury, which is the same injury that cost him three weeks in preseason. Barber’s durability isn’t as concerning as the games he cost the Bears vs. the Broncos and Chiefs with mental errors. He’s scheduled to earn a base pay of $1.9 million next season.

Smith was asked about Bell potentially ascending to the No. 2 role and he didn’t once reference Barber.

“Based on that effort (last night)?” Smith said. “And not just based on that effort though, based on what he's done his entire time here, you would feel comfortable (with Bell as the No. 2). You know in a lot of players you wonder, can they do it? And you may be in the backup role but you've never played. But when you see a player in a backup role and he performs that way you have to be excited about his future.

“Kahlil is a young player and he's been brought up through our system, too. You like to see that: a guy who was on our practice squad, worked himself up to a special teams player, third running back position, second backup running back position to the starter, and then you perform that way, you have to like that. All these things we're talking about, now you would like to see them carried on to next week and then really finish it up strong.”

Link

I don't know how anyone can defend Bowman's performance. So the Bears are supposed to double team a WR on the goal line? Really? Rodgers would audible out or call a timeout, and spread them out with 4 WR's. Then what? Bowman would then be 1 on 1 again.

As someone tweeted last night, Zack Bowman could've literally been set on fire and he wouldn't have suffered the burn he did by the hands of Rodgers, Nelson, and Jones.

I don't know how anyone can defend Bowman's performance. So the Bears are supposed to double team a WR on the goal line? Really? Rodgers would audible out or call a timeout, and spread them out with 4 WR's. Then what? Bowman would then be 1 on 1 again.

As someone tweeted last night, Zack Bowman could've literally been set on fire and he wouldn't have suffered the burn he did by the hands of Rodgers, Nelson, and Jones.

I'll just assume the tweeter didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Even Collinsworth said there was nothing Bowman could do to stop it. Again, when you play "man" you are going to give up that play unless you jam at the line of scrimmage. I'm calling out the coaches due to the astoundingly retarded repetition. Also, if the coaches thought it was on Bowman, he'd have been yanked for lack of execution.

I'll just assume the tweeter didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Even Collinsworth said there was nothing Bowman could do to stop it. Again, when you play "man" you are going to give up that play unless you jam at the line of scrimmage. I'm calling out the coaches due to the astoundingly retarded repetition. Also, if the coaches thought it was on Bowman, he'd have been yanked for lack of execution.

He was yanked...

the packers were on the *3 yard line. bowman is man out on the qb's left and is set just about on the goal line (three yards off the LOS). at the snap the receiver runs directly at bowman who takes a step or two back as he reacts. at this point the receiver breaks right to the inside (left on another TD series) just on or inside the goal line with bowman BEHIND him. easy uncontested touchdown that took only 2 or 3 seconds to complete from the snap.

how this play SHOULD have been defended: bowman plays up on the LOS. at the snap he jams the wide receiver disrupting the timing of the play. after the jam he has to let the receiver by him and then trail him the rest of the way through his route. also by jamming him it should give the safeties time to react as to whether it will be a pass or run play and shift to help a corner in pass protection especially if the TE is covered. the safety plays deeper (unless he is in position to jump the route) and the corner plays in front. there is no "double teaming" the receiver at all pre-snap.

if it is defended like we did, without any doubt it will be an easy touchdown OR defensive pass interference from the corner reaching over or holding the receiver to bust up the play. there is just no other way to stop that throw from the qb without the defender being in front of his man... ever.

the fact that they ran this same play in exactly the same way THREE? times is inexcusable for our defensive coaches NOT to have understood this and left bowman on an island that did/will not ever work in that set.

*this is all from memory as i have no way to watch the film replay of those plays so if it is incorrect someone state the lineup and how it unfolded.

They could have ran some help towards his side in a zone area per say. If I recall they literally just left Bowman there on an island to defend Nelson or James Jones and Lovie had him playing off coverage. Though, like I said, Aaron Rodgers had more to do with the touchdowns than anything. The guy is unreal. I don't know how you defend him.