Newest Offseason 1/9/12

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Trade Briggs for a 2nd round pick.

Trade Knox for a 5th.

Extend Idonije, Urlacher, Graham, Jennings, and Okoye.

Cut Omiyale, Wootton, and Spaeth.

Sign Robert Meachem, Eddie Royal, and Brady Quinn.

Franchise Forte.

1) David DeCastro, OG, Stanford

---All of you know me as the guy who never wants OL this high. However, in this scenario, Williams would move back to LT and DeCastro would fill in at OG. Even if Webb stays or the Bears sign a LT through FA, DeCastro would start at RG or LG.

2) Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina

---In the past, I've said that I love McNutt. He's a very good player. However, in his final game, he was shut down by Alfonzo Dennard, another NFL prospect. So, I've switched to Jones, who was one of UNC's bright spots in their bowl game. He's a very big WR and can make the tough catch. Don't believe me? Watch his TD in the 1st quarter of their bowl game. Wow.

2) Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall

---Like it or not, the Bears need help at DE. Peppers is getting older, and he's their only playmaker anyway. At 6'4" 268, Curry has to put more bulk on, but he has the potential to be a good NFL DE.

3) Sean Spence, OLB, Miami

---With Briggs gone (in my scenario), the Bears will need a replacement for him. In 3rd round, Spence is great value.

3) Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticut

---In a year where nobody gives a s*** about Big East football, Reyes has been a bright spot for the Huskies. He's very physical and can even play some DE.

4) Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana

---Johnson has dealt with a bit of legal trouble, but aside from that, he's been really good this year for the Griz. He's a bigger guy and he might even play some S in the NFL.

5) Mike Martin, DT, Michigan

---The Bears need all the help they can get at DT.

5) Tony Bergstrom, OT, Utah

---More OT depth, which they'll need if they get rid of Webb and/or Omiyale.

6) Chris Galippo, LB, Southern California

---He could play ST, but he'll never start as a LB. As a USC fan, I've seen him play and he's way too slow for that.

7) Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame

---What's a Bears draft without a safety?

QB: Cutler, Quinn, Enderle

RB: Forte, Barber, Bell

FB: Clutts

TE: Davis, Adams

WR: Bennett, Meachem, Jones, Royal, Sanzenbacher, Hester

OL: Williams, DeCastro, Garza, Louis, Carimi (subs: Webb, Bergstrom, Spencer)

DE: Peppers, Idonije, Curry

DT: Toeaina, Paea, Melton, Okoye, Martin

LB: Urlacher, Spence, Roach, DeCicco, Galippo

CB: Moore, Tillman, Johnson, Jennings

S: Conte, Steltz, Wright, Smith, Venable

last one until February

(I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys, but you get the idea)

I'll be honest, I just don't see the Bears trading Briggs this season. If they truly think we're close, losing him right now would be a huge hit regardless what we pick up in the draft. Depending what we get in FA for WR, I could see Knox gone though...

Trade Knox for a 5th.

Franchise Forte.

---All of you know me as the guy who never wants OL this high. However, in this scenario, Williams would move back to LT and DeCastro would fill in at OG. Even if Webb stays or the Bears sign a LT through FA, DeCastro would start at RG or LG.

---In the past, I've said that I love McNutt. He's a very good player. However, in his final game, he was shut down by Alfonzo Dennard, another NFL prospect. So, I've switched to Jones, who was one of UNC's bright spots in their bowl game. He's a very big WR and can make the tough catch. Don't believe me? Watch his TD in the 1st quarter of their bowl game. Wow.

---Like it or not, the Bears need help at DE. Peppers is getting older, and he's their only playmaker anyway. At 6'4" 268, Curry has to put more bulk on, but he has the potential to be a good NFL DE.

---With Briggs gone (in my scenario), the Bears will need a replacement for him. In 3rd round, Spence is great value.

---In a year where nobody gives a s*** about Big East football, Reyes has been a bright spot for the Huskies. He's very physical and can even play some DE.

---Johnson has dealt with a bit of legal trouble, but aside from that, he's been really good this year for the Griz. He's a bigger guy and he might even play some S in the NFL.

---He could play ST, but he'll never start as a LB. As a USC fan, I've seen him play and he's way too slow for that.

last one until February

Trade Knox for a 5th.

Franchise Forte.

last one until February

Like Mad i do not see or want Briggs gone, he is too important to the team. I dont see anyone taking a gamble with Knoz either after his injury.

I like moving Williams back to LT, maybe i am foolish but i think after being in the league now for a couple of years maybe he can handle the LT spot. Upgrading the G postion he would leave vacant would be key.

For the WR spot i would want to do more, we cant go into next season with Bennet as the number 1. If the Bears dont get Vack or Bowe then they better go after Mario Williams. Also i would rather go WR in the first if Floyd or Jefferey were there when we pick and then go OG in the 2nd.

Who is going to trade for Knox when he just got folded up like a cheap wallet? Nobody knows what his future will be like. Healthy I think a 5th is a bit much.

Why draft a LB if you know he could never start? Isn't that what street FAs are for? Isn't this part of why we have such depth issues?

Who is going to trade for Knox when he just got folded up like a cheap wallet? Nobody knows what his future will be like. Healthy I think a 5th is a bit much.

Why draft a LB if you know he could never start? Isn't that what street FAs are for? Isn't this part of why we have such depth issues?

The chances of drafting a player in round 6 and him turning out to be a quality starter are slim to none. You can find me some guys like Jiquan Williams, Tom Brady, TJ Houshmandzadeh, etc who were drafting very late, but the odds are not with the player. If the Bears can draft a player who can play ST at a high level from a successful collegiate program, I say go for it.

Like Mad i do not see or want Briggs gone, he is too important to the team. I dont see anyone taking a gamble with Knoz either after his injury.

I like moving Williams back to LT, maybe i am foolish but i think after being in the league now for a couple of years maybe he can handle the LT spot. Upgrading the G postion he would leave vacant would be key.

For the WR spot i would want to do more, we cant go into next season with Bennet as the number 1. If the Bears dont get Vack or Bowe then they better go after Mario Williams. Also i would rather go WR in the first if Floyd or Jefferey were there when we pick and then go OG in the 2nd.

To your first line, I don't think ANY fan wants to see Briggs gone. But quite frankly, he wants more money and I don't see the Bears giving him that as he's making a fair amount already.

To your 3rd line, I really am against drafting Alshon Jeffery. If you look at WR's who have played under Steve Spurrier, barely any of them have worked out in the NFL.

I'll be honest, I just don't see the Bears trading Briggs this season. If they truly think we're close, losing him right now would be a huge hit regardless what we pick up in the draft. Depending what we get in FA for WR, I could see Knox gone though...

If he holds out for a new extension, they will have no choice. And, I fully expect him to do so.

I believe that to be a realistic off-season...but if that is our off-season I won't be happy.

Cut needs a vet big bodied WR who can hit the ground running immediately (I understand some ideas may be unrealistic, but they'd better try to make a play). I'm also never thrilled at the idea of taking a G in the 1st Round....Chris Williams was a disaster on both ends at T and I'd hate to see him put back on the outside.

In reference to dealing Briggs...I'd deal him for a 3rd if I could just to be rid of him. I've had enough of the guy.

Guest TerraTor

Briggs is as important on the defense as anyone. He cannot be replaced.

Trade Knox for a 5th.

Franchise Forte.

last one until February

#1 I think we can do better than Meachem in FAgency, also no one will give you a #2 for Briggs, plus do not like Williams at tackle(how many times does he get a chance) I would rather give Webb another year , but dont like that either. DeCastro would be a good add. Knox wont be in football by this time next year. He didnt like contact before what do you think having back issues will do.

He did beat out Tebow, when Tebow came in first he was actually the number 3, Quinn was the number 2. Tebow playing before the number 2 had nothing to do with his play but fan appeasement

I had the audacity to suggest the exact same thing over at Soxtalk yesterday and the response was that I had said something particularly incredible and unbelievable.

Why Do you think Brady Quinn would be any better than McCown? There has to be a better back up plan than a guy who could not be out Tebow.

Now that Martz is gone they may not be interested in McCown, since "the system" is gone too. Now, does Tice and Lovie feel McCown has shown enough to be the backup? I'd have no problem with McCown. I would like to see Enderle. What's he got?

The chances of drafting a player in round 6 and him turning out to be a quality starter are slim to none. You can find me some guys like Jiquan Williams, Tom Brady, TJ Houshmandzadeh, etc who were drafting very late, but the odds are not with the player. If the Bears can draft a player who can play ST at a high level from a successful collegiate program, I say go for it.

I'm not suggesting you find starters here...but they should at least have the possibility of turning into something to be on the team, should they not? I still contend if you know the guy is nothing...you don't take him.

Now that Martz is gone they may not be interested in McCown, since "the system" is gone too. Now, does Tice and Lovie feel McCown has shown enough to be the backup? I'd have no problem with McCown. I would like to see Enderle. What's he got?

It's going to be up to Mike Tice to decide what Enderle has, because honestly, no one has a clue.

It's going to be up to Mike Tice to decide what Enderle has, because honestly, no one has a clue.

Exactly. Which is why it made zero sense to start McCown the last game of the season. Enderle is currently a player with no game-time evaluation. And, before someone chimes in with "the coaches know because they have seen him in practice," spare me that nonsense. We all remember how awesome Dez White was in practice and how much he sucked on the field. That logic is flawed. Practice Game.

Exactly. Which is why it made zero sense to start McCown the last game of the season. Enderle is currently a player with no game-time evaluation. And, before someone chimes in with "the coaches know because they have seen him in practice," spare me that nonsense. We all remember how awesome Dez White was in practice and how much he sucked on the field. That logic is flawed. Practice Game.

Really, seeing Enderle either stink or be good for 1/2 of 1 game at the end of his quasi-rookie season against a depleted team isnt' going to tell anyone anything about him. It's just not.

Really, seeing Enderle either stink or be good for 1/2 of 1 game at the end of his quasi-rookie season against a depleted team isnt' going to tell anyone anything about him. It's just not.

Wrong. Arm strength at the very least could have been determined. Pocket presence is immediately apparent for a young QB under pressure; either he stays in and throws, or he runs for his life. Various other things can be determined as well. Does his footwork get sloppy when it's an actual game situation? Does he understand the offense? Does he execute the offense well? Maybe more important in today's game, does he make the same reads as the WRs so that he's not throwing an "in" when the WR is running an "out"?

The entire picture wasn't going to be painted, but there are things to be learned from playing in an actual game against people want to literally hurt and beat you. He doesn't get that in practice.

And even if nothing was learned, it is still better to give some playing time rather than no playing time to a player you plan to keep around. Much better than the choice of giving the PT to someone who might not be around.

I had the audacity to suggest the exact same thing over at Soxtalk yesterday and the response was that I had said something particularly incredible and unbelievable.

I was gonna chime in and say I completely agreed with you in the NFL thread on Soxtalk but I dont even want to get into it with some of the people who post in that thread. Its like talking to a wall.

Wrong. Arm strength at the very least could have been determined. Pocket presence is immediately apparent for a young QB under pressure; either he stays in and throws, or he runs for his life. Various other things can be determined as well. Does his footwork get sloppy when it's an actual game situation? Does he understand the offense? Does he execute the offense well? Maybe more important in today's game, does he make the same reads as the WRs so that he's not throwing an "in" when the WR is running an "out"?

The entire picture wasn't going to be painted, but there are things to be learned from playing in an actual game against people want to literally hurt and beat you. He doesn't get that in practice.

And even if nothing was learned, it is still better to give some playing time rather than no playing time to a player you plan to keep around. Much better than the choice of giving the PT to someone who might not be around.

I agree that Enderle should've saw some playing time that last game, if for nothing more than his confidence. However, making any evaluation in one game can be kind of shaky. Take Hanie for example, he looked great vs GB in the playoffs coming in under those conditions, yet looked like a completely different QB this season.

To your 3rd line, I really am against drafting Alshon Jeffery. If you look at WR's who have played under Steve Spurrier, barely any of them have worked out in the NFL.

Steve Spurrier has never had a WR at any school he coached at(Duke, Florida and South Carolina) that has the physical tools and potential of Jeffrey. BTW Sidney Rice who played QB for Spurrier isn't doing to bad when healthy. I know you already know how I feel about this kid ,I just had to learn how to spell his name.lol

Steve Spurrier has never had a WR at any school he coached at(Duke, Florida and South Carolina) that has the physical tools and potential of Jeffrey. BTW Sidney Rice who played QB for Spurrier isn't doing to bad when healthy. I know you already know how I feel about this kid ,I just had to learn how to spell his name.lol

Spurrier never had a player who was as big as Jeffery? Oh come on. Maybe you're right on the potential, but he has coached for a long time to say he's never had a WR with measurables like Jeffery's.

Yes, he had Rice, but that's about it. I'm not going to say I'm wrong because you can point out one guy in Spurrier's career that dates back to 1987.

Spurrier never had a player who was as big as Jeffery? Oh come on. Maybe you're right on the potential, but he has coached for a long time to say he's never had a WR with measurables like Jeffery's.

Yes, he had Rice, but that's about it. I'm not going to say I'm wrong because you can point out one guy in Spurrier's career that dates back to 1987.

Riedell Anthony,Ike Hilliard,Jacquez Green,Travis Taylor,Reche Caldwell,Jabar Gafney and Taylor Jacobs were all drafted to the NFL and had more than a cup of coffee in the league. If I throw in Rice and Williamson from South Carolina he has had 18 WRs drafted and played in the NFL in some form or fashion. There are 4 TEs that have played in the NFL that he either recruited or coached. Erron Kinney,Aaron Walker,and Ben Troupe from Fla and Jared Cook from South Carolina.

Brian Bear this is not about you being wrong this is about our difference of opinion on Alshon Jeffrey's talent. Out of the 22 players I researched that played for Spurrier at either WR and TE none of them had Jeffrey's measurables. In most scouts eyes the biggest knock on Jeffrey is the same one that is on Floyd and Blackmon and that is their timed speed. These guys are all big targets but none of them have created much seperation from defenders and basically have just outmuscled defenders for the ball. I believe that is why there is such a wide variety of opinions on Floyd and Jeffrey. Floyd's ability to answer questions about his off-field missteps may go a long way to determine whether he is the second WR off the board.

Enderle sucked in the preseason. Didn't really come off with the greatest first impression. He looked really really bad in his first preseason, like he didn't even belong in the league; sorta Todd Collins-esque with his short arm, girly like delivery. Looked like another Dan Lefevor like pick, although Lefevor played better in preseason than Enderle did with us.

Riedell Anthony,Ike Hilliard,Jacquez Green,Travis Taylor,Reche Caldwell,Jabar Gafney and Taylor Jacobs were all drafted to the NFL and had more than a cup of coffee in the league. If I throw in Rice and Williamson from South Carolina he has had 18 WRs drafted and played in the NFL in some form or fashion. There are 4 TEs that have played in the NFL that he either recruited or coached. Erron Kinney,Aaron Walker,and Ben Troupe from Fla and Jared Cook from South Carolina.

Brian Bear this is not about you being wrong this is about our difference of opinion on Alshon Jeffrey's talent. Out of the 22 players I researched that played for Spurrier at either WR and TE none of them had Jeffrey's measurables. In most scouts eyes the biggest knock on Jeffrey is the same one that is on Floyd and Blackmon and that is their timed speed. These guys are all big targets but none of them have created much seperation from defenders and basically have just outmuscled defenders for the ball. I believe that is why there is such a wide variety of opinions on Floyd and Jeffrey. Floyd's ability to answer questions about his off-field missteps may go a long way to determine whether he is the second WR off the board.

So, you want the Bears to draft a guy who will be like any of these who you mentioned? Please. If they're going WR, give me the safe route, which is free agency.

The only guy on your list who I'd be satisfied with if Jeffery ended his career like his Gaffney, and even Gaffney wasn't/isn't great.