Crazy trade thoughts.....

ASHKUM BEAR

Question: would you trade the 1st, 2nd, and two 3rd's for Calvin Johnson? I know I would really consider that thought and think this Justin Blackmon can be a Terrell Owens or Calvin Johnson type of threat.

If by chance Justin Blackmon falls to the 5th pick that will equal 1700 points on the trade value chart. Our 1, 2, and 3's will equal 1700 points. After watching the bowl game and knowing he wasn't 100% healthy and he absolutely destroyed his competetion shows me he will excel in the NFL and be a top 5 WR. Just a nugget to consider, we do have ammo to go up to pick #5. Also, I think he comes across as a good high character guy.

How about Micheal Floyd, some Mocks have Carolina taking him with their 9th......that swap would cost us our 1, 2, and 4?

How about staying were we are and taking Alshon Jeffery? (which I think once the combine is through he will rise and possibly pass Micheal Floyd)

How about trading down a 5-10 spots and drafting:

Dwight Jones 6-4 225 North Carolina

Stephin Hill 6'5" 200 Geogia

Juron Criner 6-4 212 Arizona

or we can look at these moves to grab a OLT.....Kalil or Reiff or Martin.

No.

He's great and all, but we can get a top tier WR in FA not named Calvin. We simply have far too many needs to Ricky Williams it...

Moving up in the draft makes some sense depending on everything though....

Question: would you trade the 1st, 2nd, and two 3rd's for Calvin Johnson? I know I would really consider that thought and think this Justin Blackmon can be a Terrell Owens or Calvin Johnson type of threat.

If by chance Justin Blackmon falls to the 5th pick that will equal 1700 points on the trade value chart. Our 1, 2, and 3's will equal 1700 points. After watching the bowl game and knowing he wasn't 100% healthy and he absolutely destroyed his competetion shows me he will excel in the NFL and be a top 5 WR. Just a nugget to consider, we do have ammo to go up to pick #5. Also, I think he comes across as a good high character guy.

How about Micheal Floyd, some Mocks have Carolina taking him with their 9th......that swap would cost us our 1, 2, and 4?

How about staying were we are and taking Alshon Jeffery? (which I think once the combine is through he will rise and possibly pass Micheal Floyd)

After watching the bowl game he played in i was amazed. It would take too much to give up to get him. Mad is right there are too many holes and too many aging players to give up that much to get Blackmon

I'll take Avril, his 11 sacks look pretty good opposite Peppers. He has the kind of pure speed I'd like to have in at least one edge rusher, and really we'd have two with Peppers. He's not the complete answer at DE but his weaknesses should keep his price down while his strengths complement what we need. I can see Izzy and Avril splitting snaps with Avril out there on 3rd and long situations. Wootton sticks as our 4th DE. Aside from making us better signing Avril hurts a key division opponent.

No to trading up for Blackmon. I love what he brings to the table but football is a team sport and you'd only make that trade if you felt Blackmon was the last piece needed to win a Superbowl. Ask Atlanta how well that works. In our case he's not and once again we have many missing pieces. On top of that there are too many good FA WRs out there so why sell the farm for a player when you can get similar production from a vet and add in the improvement from fixing OT, CB, LB, and even another WR.

I'll take Avril, his 11 sacks look pretty good opposite Peppers. He has the kind of pure speed I'd like to have in at least one edge rusher, and really we'd have two with Peppers. He's not the complete answer at DE but his weaknesses should keep his price down while his strengths complement what we need. I can see Izzy and Avril splitting snaps with Avril out there on 3rd and long situations. Wootton sticks as our 4th DE. Aside from making us better signing Avril hurts a key division opponent.

No to trading up for Blackmon. I love what he brings to the table but football is a team sport and you'd only make that trade if you felt Blackmon was the last piece needed to win a Superbowl. Ask Atlanta how well that works. In our case he's not and once again we have many missing pieces. On top of that there are too many good FA WRs out there so why sell the farm for a player when you can get similar production from a vet and add in the improvement from fixing OT, CB, LB, and even another WR.

We have to many needs to be trading for players or trading draft picks to move up. I think we get a FA WR, many to choose from, and hopefully with our 1st round pick grab a decent prospect at left tackle. If the top 3 are gone, how about drafting Adams/OS to play the right side and move Carimi to the left, has to do better than Webb.

It was just a scenerio to look at what we can possibly do. I really doubt he falls past the 3 or 4 pick and we may have to face him at Minny twice a year if Kalil goes before.

Lets look at it if we trade down. If a team like Philly that has two 2nd RD picks at 46 and 51 would like to swap u[ to 19, I'd be willing to look at that and hope we can get a group like:

46 Mike Thomas OT Ohio St

50 Dwight Jones WR NC

51 Stephen Gilmore CB SC

74 Winston Guy Jr S KY

80 Sean Spence OLB Mia

111 Drake Dunsmore TE NW

142 William Vlachos C Ala

175 Chris Galippo ILB USC

208 Chandler Harnish QB Northern

FA PICK UPS: Cliff Avril DE/Mario Williams DE - Vincent Jackson WR/Dwayne Bowe WR/Marques Colston WR

3-2nd RD picks:

Thomas played LT at Ohio St and did well

Jones didn't get as many opportunities at NC, but has size and made many big plays

Gilmore has size/speed the Bears like and fits a zone D

2-3rd RD picks

Guy Jr has speed and size but is still more of a project, plays well in the box and covers well in the open

Spence is a little undersized a 6' but has a nose for making plays, would make a great WLB in the cover2

4 RD

Dunsmore is a sleeper at TE, has great speed and a playmaker

5 RD

Vlachos could step in sooner at C, opened a lot of lanes for Richardson. At 6-1, little undersized

6 RD

Galippo in the mold of a MLB for the cover 2 under Kiffins USC D

7 RD

Harnish - Local QB that doesn't turn the ball over, nice size and instincts.

I wouldn't trade, down I like enough of the WR prospects to stand pat. Even if Blackmon, Floyd, and maybe Wright are gone, I would be fine taking Jeffrey or Sanu and could even be talked into Dwight Jones (he seems to have more drops than I would like). They seems like Kenny Britt/Hakeem Nicks types around the same draft area who can make an impact.

Coming fairly recently off not having two first round picks two yeas in a row, we'd never pull the trigger on that. Though if it was completely up to me I'd do it since I'm biased (being an OKState fan). My biggest concern would be that here in Chicago we'd never get the most out of him (we have a certain history)...that's glass half-empty thinking I'll admit, but that's actually worth keeping in mind with respect to any receiver we'd be interested in picking up.

It was just a scenerio to look at what we can possibly do. I really doubt he falls past the 3 or 4 pick and we may have to face him at Minny twice a year if Kalil goes before.

Lets look at it if we trade down. If a team like Philly that has two 2nd RD picks at 46 and 51 would like to swap u[ to 19, I'd be willing to look at that and hope we can get a group like:

50 Dwight Jones WR NC

51 Stephen Gilmore CB SC

74 Winston Guy Jr S KY

80 Sean Spence OLB Mia

111 Drake Dunsmore TE NW

FA PICK UPS: Cliff Avril DE/Mario Williams DE - Vincent Jackson WR/Dwayne Bowe WR/Marques Colston WR

3-2nd RD picks:

Jones didn't get as many opportunities at NC, but has size and made many big plays

2-3rd RD picks

Guy Jr has speed and size but is still more of a project, plays well in the box and covers well in the open

Spence is a little undersized a 6' but has a nose for making plays, would make a great WLB in the cover2

4 RD

5 RD

Vlachos could step in sooner at C, opened a lot of lanes for Richardson. At 6-1, little undersized

6 RD

7 RD

Philly has OL problems, the only reason for them to move up is to grab a OL, and if one is there worth getting we need to just take him.

50 Dwight Jones WR NC

51 Stephen Gilmore CB SC

74 Winston Guy Jr S KY

80 Sean Spence OLB Mia

111 Drake Dunsmore TE NW

3-2nd RD picks:

2-3rd RD picks

4 RD

5 RD

6 RD

7 RD

Philly has OL problems, the only reason for them to move up is to grab a OL, and if one is there worth getting we need to just take him.

I wouldn't trade, down I like enough of the WR prospects to stand pat. Even if Blackmon, Floyd, and maybe Wright are gone, I would be fine taking Jeffrey or Sanu and could even be talked into Dwight Jones (he seems to have more drops than I would like). They seems like Kenny Britt/Hakeem Nicks types around the same draft area who can make an impact.

Picking Blackmon, Floyd, or Jeffery in the first round where the Bears are at makes sense. Even I admit that, despite the fact that I would much rather have a LT. But Sanu, Wright, and Jones?! No freaking way. One of those guys, and a group of others, can be had for far less. If any of those three are picked in the first by the Bears, I will be livid. And it will be a reach.

Coming fairly recently off not having two first round picks two yeas in a row, we'd never pull the trigger on that. Though if it was completely up to me I'd do it since I'm biased (being an OKState fan). My biggest concern would be that here in Chicago we'd never get the most out of him (we have a certain history)...that's glass half-empty thinking I'll admit, but that's actually worth keeping in mind with respect to any receiver we'd be interested in picking up.

Exactly. Where WRs come to die. That's one of the reasons why I'm still opposed to the WR in the first idea: underutilization.

Exactly. Where WRs come to die. That's one of the reasons why I'm still opposed to the WR in the first idea: underutilization.

I listen to 670 the Score a lot and they have Hub Arkish on all the time. I was surprised the other day when he said if the price is right and the Bears don't over spend, he would go up and get a play maker like Blackmon. He suggested 2 firsts and a second? I still would hate to see that, but we all know that we are in desperate need of a big time WR.

I listen to 670 the Score a lot and they have Hub Arkish on all the time. I was surprised the other day when he said if the price is right and the Bears don't over spend, he would go up and get a play maker like Blackmon. He suggested 2 firsts and a second? I still would hate to see that, but we all know that we are in desperate need of a big time WR.

That would be a move so bad we might as well get Ditka in here to be the GM. Horrible.

The team is desperate for a big time WR, but not so desperate to sacrifice the entire team - one which has multiple glaring holes - in order just to have one guy.

Agreed. We simply have far too many holes to give up that much. The assumption should be that whoever we get for GM, will do a decent enough job. I don't mind doing some trading up...but not giving away the farm. Draftees are no guarantee, so to give up the farm for one is just a little too foolish.

That would be a move so bad we might as well get Ditka in here to be the GM. Horrible.

The team is desperate for a big time WR, but not so desperate to sacrifice the entire team - one which has multiple glaring holes - in order just to have one guy.

I'm a little confused. I understand your argument but when you are making the argument that a broke down 39 year old TO is better than all of our wideouts, it seems pretty clear to me that the team drastically needs a legit wide-receiver.

Note: I personally don't believe that TO is better than 3 of our wideouts at a minimum but thats just my opinion. There is a reason (outside of personality) that this guy wasn't picked up after his tryout (which was widely regarded around the league of being an absolute joke).

I'm a little confused. I understand your argument but when you are making the argument that a broke down 39 year old TO is better than all of our wideouts, it seems pretty clear to me that the team drastically needs a legit wide-receiver.

Note: I personally don't believe that TO is better than 3 of our wideouts at a minimum but thats just my opinion. There is a reason (outside of personality) that this guy wasn't picked up after his tryout (which was widely regarded around the league of being an absolute joke).

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

It's simple: A first round talent like Blackmon, Jeffery, or Floyd will be underutilized because they won't reach their full potential. They'll be undercoached, underdeveloped, and as a result they won't get the number of targets that a #1 somewhere else in a more prolific offense would get. TO, on the other hand, is already extremely developed; he's a future HoFer. He needs no technique coaching - personality coaching maybe. He knows how to play football already and will play to his full potential (for a big reason: he's playing for a future contract).