Terrell Owens

jason

It appears nobody wants TO. Nobody attended his workout (where he looked like a beast despite recovering from a huge injury in very minimal time). He is still, even at his age and even with recent injuries, probably better than any WR on the roster.

What is the downside to signing him to a low-base, incentive-filled contract? Seems like a win-win to me. The guy wants to play, is still in incredible shape, could potentially teach the Bears' WRs a thing or two about numerous things (working out, running routes, etc.), and would be playing as an audition to continue his career in the NFL. If he starts shit, cut him. If he doesn't produce (measured up against other WRs who have been kept but yielded little results...looking at you Roy Williams), cut him.

Really, win-win. Why not send out a feeler on him?

I have no problem with that if it's done on the cheap. Roy W should be jetisoned, and TO taking over his roster spot is fine by me. However, but no means does that mea we should be done in FA for a WR. I still want the like of a V-Jack.

If we had a WR corps of:

V-Jack

TO

Bennett

Rookie WR in rounds 1-3

Hester

...that would I think be just about perfect.

But to me, its relaly more about getting the V-Jack type of guy and high round prospect. TO would simply be free dessert with the meal...

It appears nobody wants TO. Nobody attended his workout (where he looked like a beast despite recovering from a huge injury in very minimal time). He is still, even at his age and even with recent injuries, probably better than any WR on the roster.

What is the downside to signing him to a low-base, incentive-filled contract? Seems like a win-win to me. The guy wants to play, is still in incredible shape, could potentially teach the Bears' WRs a thing or two about numerous things (working out, running routes, etc.), and would be playing as an audition to continue his career in the NFL. If he starts shit, cut him. If he doesn't produce (measured up against other WRs who have been kept but yielded little results...looking at you Roy Williams), cut him.

I would have last year earlier in the season, but not now. There is a plethora of receivers out there that are alot younger than a one year rental which would be T.O.

Man, people on this board have been using virtually the same excuses for several years.

There are a plethora of WRs out there who are younger, but I'd rather have TO than all of about 4 or 5 of them.

Man, people on this board have been using virtually the same excuses for several years.

There are a plethora of WRs out there who are younger, but I'd rather have TO than all of about 4 or 5 of them.

ANd yet, 29 other teams, including the teams who are supplying the Bears GM interview candidates, disagreed and decided he wasn't even worth a roster spot.

ANd yet, 29 other teams, including the teams who are supplying the Bears GM interview candidates, disagreed and decided he wasn't even worth a roster spot.

And yet, there are literally 27 other teams who have a better set of WRs than the Bears, and 4 other teams (CLE, JAX, TB, STL) who arguably have better WRs. The Bears are not in a position to be choosey about WRs when there is a future HoF'er available for pennies on the dollar but has been essentially black-balled out of the league - mostly his fault - under the guise of "injury concerns" instead of the reality of GMs not wanting to deal with him.

It's absolutely ignorant thinking like that that shows these guys don't want to win 100%. They want to win, but they're not willing to sell out 100% for it. They want some utopia where everyone you pick up is a academic all-American and an Eagle Scout, but also can jump out of the stadium. It's the same thinking that has restricted the Bears in the past when TO AND Moss were available. You're telling me TO isn't better than the #5 WR on any roster in the NFL?! If so, you're insane. Is there potential risk? Sure. But unlike most #5 guys, there is also an upside they rarely have. If he screws up, he's cut. He doesn't have teams lining up for him any more. The difference, of course, between him and other #5 guys is that he's a future HoF'er who could teach virtually every WR in the NFL a thing or two about being a pro WR. And then there is the added bonus of him putting up stats. 72 Receptions and 9 TDs in 2010 before the knee injury. I don't see why he couldn't easily come in and put up 50rec/7TD, and that's being conservative.

I hate him, but under the conditions you described, I'd look at him. And yes, hell may have frozen over...

The father time line made me laugh...but even at 39, and coming off a massive knee injury, he's better than any WR on the roster.

Great, so that means we should sign this piece of human refuse. He's only done exactly the same BS at every team he's ever been with but we'll be the lucky ones!!! Put down the crack pipe. Even if signed for no money the circus starts immediately and it only gets worse if he has a good game. Then you're trapped because you can't cut him. Then he demands big money and starts doing pushups in his driveway.

Bad idea.

Great, so that means we should sign this piece of human refuse. He's only done exactly the same BS at every team he's ever been with but we'll be the lucky ones!!! Put down the crack pipe. Even if signed for no money the circus starts immediately and it only gets worse if he has a good game. Then you're trapped because you can't cut him. Then he demands big money and starts doing pushups in his driveway.

Bad idea.

This.

Peace :dabears

Bad idea.

his last two stops he kept his mouth shut in the media, not sure about behind closed doors.

I say give him a try out.

The father time line made me laugh...but even at 39, and coming off a massive knee injury, he's better than any WR on the roster.

Oh no question. I'd take TO over anyone on this current team. But luckily we will have the opportunity to draft and or sign some useful receivers through free agency where we won't have to rely on the 39 year old.

Bad idea.

Why can't you cut him? That would be part of his contract. Small money, lots of incentives, easy to cut. If he causes BS, cut him. Simple. The positive side is, he's better than any WR the Bears have on the roster. Where are you getting this "can't cut him" nonsense?

Guest TerraTor
This thread is a joke, right? Tell me it's a joke. The idea of signing this a$$hole after nobody sniffed him for an entire year... It must be a joke.

I was thinkin the same thing. If no-one is franchised I want Dwayne Bowe......

I realize our wideouts are not good but Terrel Owens is not good anymore. For anyone who watched the workout or listened to people with NFL experience, they all talked about how slow he was going and how hard of a time he was having. The dude is 39 and coming off a very serious injury and while he is one of the all time greats, he is not a good fit and it is an utter exageration to think he's better than every wideout on the roster.

Earl Bennett is better and I'd probably make the case that Knox and Williams are too and I don't even like either of them. The Bears need to add talent at the wide receiver position but they need to do it via free agency and possibly the draft as well. I think that in the right system Hester could be fine and he's shown good strides as a pass catcher and if utilized property the Bears could see some success. Hell, I'm not even willing to write Knox off.

The biggest problem with the Bears is the true lack of a #1 wideout. Add that and everyone looks significantly better and they all slide into positions where they are more likely to succeed. Bennett is a rock solid 3rd down target; Knox is a good downfield weapon; Hester has the shot to be a really nice slot wideout; The problem is right now we are looking at all of them as #1 and they clearly aren't that. It is why the team needs at least a #1 and possible another above average wideout.

Note: For a long time I was with Jason in the support of a wideout like Owens. The guy was a stud and his lockerroom issues were widely exaggerated in my opinion. The dude is a good guy with no off the field history and is an all time great. Diva, absolutely, but the dude was one hell of a wide receiver.

I realize our wideouts are not good but Terrel Owens is not good anymore. For anyone who watched the workout or listened to people with NFL experience, they all talked about how slow he was going and how hard of a time he was having. The dude is 39 and coming off a very serious injury and while he is one of the all time greats, he is not a good fit and it is an utter exageration to think he's better than every wideout on the roster.

Earl Bennett is better and I'd probably make the case that Knox and Williams are too and I don't even like either of them. The Bears need to add talent at the wide receiver position but they need to do it via free agency and possibly the draft as well. I think that in the right system Hester could be fine and he's shown good strides as a pass catcher and if utilized property the Bears could see some success. Hell, I'm not even willing to write Knox off.

The biggest problem with the Bears is the true lack of a #1 wideout. Add that and everyone looks significantly better and they all slide into positions where they are more likely to succeed. Bennett is a rock solid 3rd down target; Knox is a good downfield weapon; Hester has the shot to be a really nice slot wideout; The problem is right now we are looking at all of them as #1 and they clearly aren't that. It is why the team needs at least a #1 and possible another above average wideout.

Note: For a long time I was with Jason in the support of a wideout like Owens. The guy was a stud and his lockerroom issues were widely exaggerated in my opinion. The dude is a good guy with no off the field history and is an all time great. Diva, absolutely, but the dude was one hell of a wide receiver.

I really don't think it's an exaggeration. I think he's better than any WR on the roster overall. He can't be the legit #1 any more, but I think he's still better than any of the guys on the Bears.

You're right though, most of the NFL people write him off, but I think a fair amount of that was just a league-wide, general disdain, and a lack of risk-taking (which is understandable). As for people who watched it, I thought he looked a little gimpy, like he had a very lightly sprained ankle or something, but he didn't look as bad as you make it out.

The thread isn't a joke; it's a Bears' fans attempt to find answers to a situation that probably won't end up as well as everyone wants. I believe the Bears will pick up one big name FA WR, but I don't think they'll do nearly as much as most of you want. TO would be an unbelievable #2 on a team that has Bowe or VJax.

I really don't think it's an exaggeration. I think he's better than any WR on the roster overall. He can't be the legit #1 any more, but I think he's still better than any of the guys on the Bears.

You're right though, most of the NFL people write him off, but I think a fair amount of that was just a league-wide, general disdain, and a lack of risk-taking (which is understandable). As for people who watched it, I thought he looked a little gimpy, like he had a very lightly sprained ankle or something, but he didn't look as bad as you make it out.

The thread isn't a joke; it's a Bears' fans attempt to find answers to a situation that probably won't end up as well as everyone wants. I believe the Bears will pick up one big name FA WR, but I don't think they'll do nearly as much as most of you want. TO would be an unbelievable #2 on a team that has Bowe or VJax.

We do need to upgrade all of our WRs but after a #1 we need to find people that can help us going forward, not a one and done. Do you think if he is not the first option in the passing offense, that he will act as a happy camper? With say VJac and Bennett, he will be Cutlers third option which is the recipe for disaster. Bad idea.

You forgot to mention TO is also a beast blocking for the running game..........

Why can't you cut him? That would be part of his contract. Small money, lots of incentives, easy to cut. If he causes BS, cut him. Simple. The positive side is, he's better than any WR the Bears have on the roster. Where are you getting this "can't cut him" nonsense?

Please. If he opens the season with a 10 catch game for 120 yards and a TD and then starts being typical TO, you think the Bears could cut him? You're delusional. And slowly but surely he'd destroy any team chemistry that existed. I don't want that douchebag anywhere near Lake Forest.