Raiders seek permission to interview Tice for HC position

adam

It would be borderline comical, and maybe it could lead to a HC change for us as well.

"Lovie Smith promotes Darryl Drake to OC after the departure of Mike Tice."

I was also thinking, even though the Bears can't block the interview, Tice can turn down the job/interview. It will be interesting if he takes them up on the offer. Wouldn't that sort of say he is not completely devoted to the team if he interviews, but does not get the job? I am saying this only because he accepted the OC position already. I wouldn't say this if he was already a Coordinator and this was presented to him.

Heres hoping that if Tice leaves that allows a new GM to hire a new head coach too

Tice would be foolish to turn down an interview if he is interested in ever being a head coach again. That said, I don't think he will get the job. Pompei said on the SCORE this morning they are casting a wide net in the interview process in Oakland.

Peace :dabears

Tice would be foolish to turn down an interview if he is interested in ever being a head coach again. That said, I don't think he will get the job. Pompei said on the SCORE this morning they are casting a wide net in the interview process in Oakland.

With the discipline record of the Vikings under Tice, he would seem like a fit for the Raiders.

With the discipline record of the Vikings under Tice, he would seem like a fit for the Raiders.

Ha! Very true. I think Tice is a moron anyway so I'd be OK with him leaving. And it would be comical as we see this team throw away yet another year. Ridiculous. You could've just left the peices in place for another season and then cut the whole cast of characters when and if the time comes. Now you're going to have an OC with a four year contract with a HC with a 2 year contract... No GM heading into the draft... Pathetic.

It would be borderline comical, and maybe it could lead to a HC change for us as well.

I was also thinking, even though the Bears can't block the interview, Tice can turn down the job/interview. It will be interesting if he takes them up on the offer. Wouldn't that sort of say he is not completely devoted to the team if he interviews, but does not get the job? I am saying this only because he accepted the OC position already. I wouldn't say this if he was already a Coordinator and this was presented to him.

It makes perfect sense to interview a coordinator with HC experience since in the past the Raiders while Al was alive went for first time guys exclusively. This signals a change in philosophy in that organization.

Ha! Very true. I think Tice is a moron anyway so I'd be OK with him leaving. And it would be comical as we see this team throw away yet another year. Ridiculous. You could've just left the peices in place for another season and then cut the whole cast of characters when and if the time comes. Now you're going to have an OC with a four year contract with a HC with a 2 year contract... No GM heading into the draft... Pathetic.

The draft is at the end of April. We will have a GM in the next 2 1/2 weeks.

The draft is at the end of April. We will have a GM in the next 2 1/2 weeks.

Agreed and its on the scouting department to do this research and I do believe it is important to have someone in place by the Combine. If they follow the way they have been interviewing strong college scouting guys they should have minimal problems since most of the candidates have been in the evaluation process prior to being interviewed.

Agreed and its on the scouting department to do this research and I do believe it is important to have someone in place by the Combine. If they follow the way they have been interviewing strong college scouting guys they should have minimal problems since most of the candidates have been in the evaluation process prior to being interviewed.

The combine is what, late February? You've got to have someone in place at least 2 weeks before that, not just for the combine, but also because free agency starts like a week later.

The combine is what, late February? You've got to have someone in place at least 2 weeks before that, not just for the combine, but also because free agency starts like a week later.

Why is 2 weeks before the Combine important for a hiring deadline? Personally I want someone tonight! If you already have a scouting department in place with Ruskell in charge and the candidates you are interviewing are already working in some capacity in talent evaluation why wouldn't that work? As far as FA goes you gotta' believe Lovie has the keys to the car this year.

Smith's had the keys to the car since 2006. He's also had the keys to the executive washroom, the keys to the mansion, etc...all because he apparently seems to have nude pictures of the McCaskeys...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Why is 2 weeks before the Combine important for a hiring deadline? Personally I want someone tonight! If you already have a scouting department in place with Ruskell in charge and the candidates you are interviewing are already working in some capacity in talent evaluation why wouldn't that work? As far as FA goes you gotta' believe Lovie has the keys to the car this year.

Smith's had the keys to the car since 2006. He's also had the keys to the executive washroom, the keys to the mansion, etc...all because he apparently seems to have nude pictures of the McCaskeys...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lovie and Tice(if he stays) will lead free agency, because the new guy wont have been able to evaluate the team yet. Then after what holes we fill in FAgency, they will put there heads together to draft.

something to think about is that these candidates are not exactly going to be completely ignorant of our roster, the situation, etc. When you are going out on interviews for a job do you not research the companies you are considering working for? I would say most people don't just blindly interview for a job. I would bet they have all done homework on the Bears and researched things as well as come up with some ideas/plans to improve the team they are interviewing for. As an employer looking to hire a GM you need to know if 1. they have a plan to improve the team, what that plan might look like, etc. As an interviewee you would want to have something you could present to your prospective employer as your vision for the the team going forward. I wouldn't be so quick to say these guys know nothing about the Bears till they get here for the interview.