Robert Mathis

Chitownhustla

What are your thoughts on adding him? Had 9.5 sacks last year. With as many holes that need attention I'm wondering if he can be signed without having to break the bank?

Mario Williams is reported to be the Texans top priority and the Franchise tag is still an option according to their GM, so maybe Mathis is a good option to add help along the Dline.

Im not saying that WR and Oline are not the most pressing needs for the Bears. Thought i should add that before someone jumps me for talking about something other then oline and wr hahaha

What are your thoughts on adding him? Had 9.5 sacks last year. With as many holes that need attention I'm wondering if he can be signed without having to break the bank?

Mario Williams is reported to be the Texans top priority and the Franchise tag is still an option according to their GM, so maybe Mathis is a good option to add help along the Dline.

Im not saying that WR and Oline are not the most pressing needs for the Bears. Thought i should add that before someone jumps me for talking about something other then oline and wr hahaha

Decent idea, but I wonder if he has gas left in the tank. It would be nice to have someone on the other side of Peppers that can actually cause pressure.

I'd absolutely be in on Mathis. I think he's probably my 2nd option at DE, I'd go after Mario Williams first but there's a decent chance the Bears would just be outbid on him.

With Peppers and the LB's there, adding him to the DE rotation even just on passing downs would really strengthen that defense. And you can't just look for a multi-year solution if you're trying to win now...he's a big win now move.

I prefer Cliff Avril over Mathis. He's younger (only 25) and faster and signing him takes pass rush ability away from a key division rival. Given the state of our Oline this is not a bad thing. Rumor is that Detroit is working on a deal with him but you never know.

Yesterday on Sportscenter, Clayton said the Colts are likely to tag Mathis and let Wayne walk, FWIW.

I prefer Cliff Avril over Mathis. He's younger (only 25) and faster and signing him takes pass rush ability away from a key division rival. Given the state of our Oline this is not a bad thing. Rumor is that Detroit is working on a deal with him but you never know.

Avril would be outstanding, for all of the reasons you listed. Plus, I've heard Detroit is going to be short on cap space, so if they want Avril, this might mean cutting Vanden Bosch.

Mark Anderson had 10 sacks and is a UFA.

But, that was in a 3-4 D.