Bears given permission to speak to Jason Licht Again

GakMan23

I'm not in on the interviews but just from an outsiders view, from what I've heard is that this Licht guy has never been in a draft room. He's never run a draft like others have (Ross and Raye) and I don't know about Emery. What possible reason would you have to give him a 2nd interview if your trying to hire a guy to draft well. How much longer could an interview go on for if one of the first questions asked was, "So.. Have you ever been in a draft room?" What else is there left to answer?

I'm not in on the interviews but just from an outsiders view, from what I've heard is that this Licht guy has never been in a draft room. He's never run a draft like others have (Ross and Raye) and I don't know about Emery. What possible reason would you have to give him a 2nd interview if your trying to hire a guy to draft well. How much longer could an interview go on for if one of the first questions asked was, "So.. Have you ever been in a draft room?" What else is there left to answer?

Maybe Licht could be GM and Emery could be assistant GM and head of college scouting. That would be a nice combo, since Emery doesn't have any experience with any aspect of the GM job but scouting.

Either one seems like a pretty unqualified candidate, since neither has experience with a big portion of GM duties.

He saw some of the drafted guys in the hallways every once in awhile?!?

A decent article about Licht:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/pa...ars_gm_position

"Both organized and thorough in his approach, the personable Licht has worked under some of the league’s more prominent names like Jimmy Johnson, Andy Reid and now Belichick, where he plays a big part in keeping the Pats on top of the AFC standings. Licht has played a strong role with three different teams now and will likely find himself on several GM short lists in the near future. His eye for talent and overall personnel skills are why Bill Belichick brought him back to New England after a short stint with the Arizona Cardinals."

My only concern about NE exec's is that Bill has so much influence on decisions, you don't know how much his disciples actually did in their positions.

My only concern about NE exec's is that Bill has so much influence on decisions, you don't know how much his disciples actually did in their positions.

That's kind of the case with all these candidates (aside from Ruskell), since none of them have been GMs. They are feeding info to the GMs about a particular pro player or college prospect, but none of them are making the call. It's a big jump from making suggestions to making decisions, and not everyone handles that jump well.

Is he the only candidate to be provided a 2nd interview?

If so...I'd have to call him the front runner.

I've been candid on this board stating Ross is my pick, but obviously I'm not listening to the interviews. Whatever these candidates tell Phillips and others in the interview room has to count, but if they're telling them what they want to hear in stating they want to build off of what the Bears already have in place and try to win with what they have in place.....

I have a hard time not saying they should have kept Angelo.

Maybe Licht worked as the "TURK"; you know the guy that told the players that they are cut and collected their playbook!

Bears can use someone like that!

Phil Emery from the Cheifs will also receive a 2nd interview later this week.

I like that Licht seems to have a more well-rounded resume. He works in pro personnel before, but has been in the draft room and taken part in college scouting. Emery is a career scout. He may be a good scout, but there is so much more to the job than that.

I like that Licht seems to have a more well-rounded resume. He works in pro personnel before, but has been in the draft room and taken part in college scouting. Emery is a career scout. He may be a good scout, but there is so much more to the job than that.

I hope they get this right. The more i think about this it is so hard to even make a judgement who would be a better hire. Now if the Bears were bringing in a bunch of guys that have GM experience that would be easier. This GM did this this GM did that, did great here but not so great here. The thing is we have no idea what true invlovement any of these guys had in making decisons on player signings and drafting. Until these guys are the ones actually pulling the trigger on FA's and drafting we will never know if they are good or not. It is a totally different ball game when you are the one in the hot seat saying this is the guy or no we need to draft this guy. Being a guy giving reports and reccomendations is a whole lot easier.

I do like the idea of an up and comer rather then an older guy who has been a career scout. But look where that got Denver with McDaniels. So at this point im really ready to back whoever they hire. Hope it gets settled soon.

I hope they get this right. The more i think about this it is so hard to even make a judgement who would be a better hire. Now if the Bears were bringing in a bunch of guys that have GM experience that would be easier. This GM did this this GM did that, did great here but not so great here.

Of course in some way that's also harder...because if a GM is available, that means he was also fired somewhere.

Maybe Licht could be GM and Emery could be assistant GM and head of college scouting. That would be a nice combo, since Emery doesn't have any experience with any aspect of the GM job but scouting.

Either one seems like a pretty unqualified candidate, since neither has experience with a big portion of GM duties.

As long as they all report to Lovie we are good. Dont want anything weird going on organizationally do we....

Posters are concerned because of the final two candidates for our GM spot have no experience as GM, yet Ruskell, who has 5 years experience as GM and a good record to fall back on is considered to be a "no way in hell do I want this guy" option. I am a bit lost here. Do they have to have previous experience as GM to be a good option? Every GM who has run a draft started out with zero experience. As balta mentioned, if a big name GM were available with experience, would he have been fired and why? I see nothing wrong with either of the two remaining candidates.

Posters are concerned because of the final two candidates for our GM spot have no experience as GM, yet Ruskell, who has 5 years experience as GM and a good record to fall back on is considered to be a "no way in hell do I want this guy" option. I am a bit lost here. Do they have to have previous experience as GM to be a good option? Every GM who has run a draft started out with zero experience. As balta mentioned, if a big name GM were available with experience, would he have been fired and why? I see nothing wrong with either of the two remaining candidates.

:notworthy

Agreed I look at both candidates as potential Mark Hatley types.For those keeping score thats the guy before Angelo who drafted Kreutz,Mannely, Urlacher,Mike Brown, Marty Booker, Rosey Colvin, Warrick Holman, and Jerry Azumah. Sometimes career scouts can simplify things. With the contract negotiation part not an issue the talent guys don't do to bad in picking NFL type players. Plus with a guy like Emery who knows what type of player that this team is looking for and having been at KC when I believe Herm Edwards was still there he could truly know what type of player this scheme on D requires and since Todd Haley probably has a similar offensive to what Tice is going to install he should be able to recognize what type of player that is needed on offense also. I hope regardless of what schemes the Bears run that when a player is a blue chip prospect when the Bears pick if he is not a guy they want just act like you are going to take that player. Show some professionalism this time around when you have a team on the phone complete the details of the trade and be honorable. If one of the 2 remaining candidates can pull this of so be it. I do cringe at the thought of a lifetime scout getting a chance to pick a coach just like Hatley and the whole McGinnis-Jauron fiasco as well as the former GM who was nothing more than a scout before he got here picked the coach that quite a few want launched now.

Agreed 100%

Peace :dabears

There is an an article written by Dan Pompei from the Tribune talking about Ruskell track record. I had heard all the negatives of his recent draft busts but the article goes into depth of all the good he had under his belt. I was surprised how much good there was. I dont know if Ruskell is a bad option anymore. Im looking for the article right now but the tribune website is giving me problems. Once i find it ill post it.

Like i said in my earlier post, im ready to back whoever they pick.

There is an an article written by Dan Pompei from the Tribune talking about Ruskell track record. I had heard all the negatives of his recent draft busts but the article goes into depth of all the good he had under his belt. I was surprised how much good there was. I dont know if Ruskell is a bad option anymore. Im looking for the article right now but the tribune website is giving me problems. Once i find it ill post it.

Like i said in my earlier post, im ready to back whoever they pick.

No thanks, he proved all he needed too in Seattle.

Agreed. And with Cliff Stein handling more of the money matters, it may work out well.

Agreed I look at both candidates as potential Mark Hatley types.For those keeping score thats the guy before Angelo who drafted Kreutz,Mannely, Urlacher,Mike Brown, Marty Booker, Rosey Colvin, Warrick Holman, and Jerry Azumah. Sometimes career scouts can simplify things. With the contract negotiation part not an issue the talent guys don't do to bad in picking NFL type players. Plus with a guy like Emery who knows what type of player that this team is looking for and having been at KC when I believe Herm Edwards was still there he could truly know what type of player this scheme on D requires and since Todd Haley probably has a similar offensive to what Tice is going to install he should be able to recognize what type of player that is needed on offense also. I hope regardless of what schemes the Bears run that when a player is a blue chip prospect when the Bears pick if he is not a guy they want just act like you are going to take that player. Show some professionalism this time around when you have a team on the phone complete the details of the trade and be honorable. If one of the 2 remaining candidates can pull this of so be it. I do cringe at the thought of a lifetime scout getting a chance to pick a coach just like Hatley and the whole McGinnis-Jauron fiasco as well as the former GM who was nothing more than a scout before he got here picked the coach that quite a few want launched now.

Just an update, looks like Licht has the first interview:

Bears | Jason Licht update

Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:15:32 -0800

Updating a previous item, New England Patriots director of player personnel Jason Licht is scheduled to have a second interview Thursday, Jan. 26, with the Chicago Bears regarding their general manager vacancy.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/11/nfl/chicago-bears#ixzz1kahh7AcQ