What if...

jason

What if the top three OT (Martin, Reiff, Kalil) and the top three WR (Blackmon, Floyd, Jeffery) are off the board when the Bears pick?

Aside from being irritated that the Bears needlessly won the last game of the season and ruined their draft pick status, what are you thinking? BPA vs. need becomes a much more interesting question at that point. If this scenario happens, and we're all relatively upset, that could indicate that LBs are getting passed over and a few other nice prospects are falling.

Vontaze Bufict, LB, Arizona State

Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College

Dont’a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois

Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin Badgers

Janoris Jenkins, DB, North Alabama

Suppose that list is available. BPA doesn't make a ton of sense since it's obviously Richardson. At that point, what should the Bears do?

What if the top three OT (Martin, Reiff, Kalil) and the top three WR (Blackmon, Floyd, Jeffery) are off the board when the Bears pick?

Aside from being irritated that the Bears needlessly won the last game of the season and ruined their draft pick status, what are you thinking? BPA vs. need becomes a much more interesting question at that point. If this scenario happens, and we're all relatively upset, that could indicate that LBs are getting passed over and a few other nice prospects are falling.

Suppose that list is available. BPA doesn't make a ton of sense since it's obviously Richardson. At that point, what should the Bears do?

Looking at mock drafts, and at other teams' needs and such, I would say that it is a very unlikely scenario. Kuechly, Hightower, and Richardson will all be gone before Jeffery.

Also, don't forget about Kendall Wright and David DeCastro. I would take one of them at 19 if the scenario you presented actually occurred. The other option would be to trade down to the mid-20's, and pick up another 3rd rounder. You could then take 2 of our 3 3rd rounders and move back into the 2nd. Giving us a 1st, 2x 2nds, and a 3rd, or we keep the 3rd, and go with 1 1st, 1 2nd, and 3 3rds.

IMO, I think we stay at 19 and pick up the BPA as long as it is WR, OL, and possibly CB depending on someone dropping.

So much would depend on what we did in FA up to that point. If we shore up an OL and a top flight WR, BPA would seem the way to go. Even if we don't, going BPA is probably not a bad move since we have so many holes to fill.

There could be a case to draft Richardson as Forte's replacement the following season. Tag Forte now, with the potential of letting him go after the season. And get Richardson up to speed in the meantime. Not saying that's what I want...just that one could make a case for just about any scenario.

Looking at mock drafts, and at other teams' needs and such, I would say that it is a very unlikely scenario. Kuechly, Hightower, and Richardson will all be gone before Jeffery.

Also, don't forget about Kendall Wright and David DeCastro. I would take one of them at 19 if the scenario you presented actually occurred. The other option would be to trade down to the mid-20's, and pick up another 3rd rounder. You could then take 2 of our 3 3rd rounders and move back into the 2nd. Giving us a 1st, 2x 2nds, and a 3rd, or we keep the 3rd, and go with 1 1st, 1 2nd, and 3 3rds.

IMO, I think we stay at 19 and pick up the BPA as long as it is WR, OL, and possibly CB depending on someone dropping.

I agree that it's unlikely, but I was looking at mocks earlier and found one or two that had it occur. All 6 guys gone. Lots of LBs dropping. And Richardson has fallen in several drafts because of recent history that has changed convential NFL wisdom.

Guest TerraTor

DE/OLB - Upshaw

Guest TerraTor
I'd have to know exactly who's available and who isn't by the time we picked but I value Kendall Wright very high if Floyd is off the draft board. Jeffery and Wright is a toss up to me.

I love Wright but only if we got a #1 in Free Agency likke Bowe or Stevie. Wright is a shrimp.

Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

DE or C

I recall signing a C to a 2-year extension. A Center in this draft spot doesnt make the team better

It does if that means moving the C, who is really a G, back to a position in which he's better than he is at C, not to mention much better than the person he'd be replacing at G.

If I was the Bears, my (realistic) big board would be:

1) Reily Reiff, OT, Iowa

2) Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

3) Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State

4) Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

5) Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

6) Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

7) Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin

8) Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois

1) Reily Reiff, OT, Iowa

I'm good with that.

1) Reily Reiff, OT, Iowa

Not bad, I would have Floyd at #3. Mike Adams reminds me of Carimi since he would be better at RT in the NFL.

It does if that means moving the C, who is really a G, back to a position in which he's better than he is at C, not to mention much better than the person he'd be replacing at G.

Was Garza honestly more effective as a guard in 2010 than he was at C this year? I certainly didn't get that feeling.

Made two small changes:

1) Reily Reiff, OT, Iowa

3) Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

4) David DeCastro, G, Stanford

Moved Floyd up to #3 and put DeCastro in there in place of Adams. Is Adams even projected for the first round?

Was Garza honestly more effective as a guard in 2010 than he was at C this year? I certainly didn't get that feeling.

He was better at center this year than he was at guard the last few years.

My big board would be something along the lines of

1- Michael Floyd

2- Kendall Wright

3- Alshon Jeffery

4- Dre Kirkpatrick

5- Whitney Mercilus

I really like Courtney Upshaw but I fear he will be long gone before the Bears make their pick.

1) Reily Reiff, OT, Iowa

I have a strong feeling that Martin and Reiff will be gone by 19 and that leaves the rest of your list as viable options at 19 and if the Bears don't address pass rusher in FA,I'd add Upshaw and ingram to the list.

Made two small changes:

Moved Floyd up to #3 and put DeCastro in there in place of Adams. Is Adams even projected for the first round?

Yes. He probably had the best week of anyone in the Senior Bowl. As a matter of fact, Wes Bunting (@wesbunting on twiter) covers the draft more extensively than anyone I've seen, just tweeted that his top OT prospects are Kalil, Reiff, Adams, Martin.

He was better at center this year than he was at guard the last few years.

My big board would be something along the lines of

1- Michael Floyd

2- Kendall Wright

3- Alshon Jeffery

4- Dre Kirkpatrick

5- Whitney Mercilus

I really like Courtney Upshaw but I fear he will be long gone before the Bears make their pick.

So you'd take the 2-4 WRs over their comparable LTs? Especially when considering most mocks barely have Wright in the first round, if at all? C'mon man.

Yes. He probably had the best week of anyone in the Senior Bowl. As a matter of fact, Wes Bunting (@wesbunting on twiter) covers the draft more extensively than anyone I've seen, just tweeted that his top OT prospects are Kalil, Reiff, Adams, Martin.

Agreed and Adams would be considered a riser in terms of daily draft buzz. If he puts together good workouts during the Combine he will probably move up more. One of the knocks on him was the illegal benefits scandal at OSU that made Terrell(sp?) Pryor a Raider, made him sit a few games but listening to him talk at the Senior Bowl practices made me believe that his workouts are all thats left.

Yes, you are correct, I stand corrected. Hell, from what I have read, some are now putting Adams higher than Reiff and Martin.

"Numerous NFL scouts" told Sporting News' Russ Lande that they view Ohio State LT Mike Adams as a superior prospect to Iowa LT Riley Reiff after Adams' Senior Bowl performance in Mobile. Per Lande, Adams entered the week viewed as a third-round prospect but moved at least into the second round and perhaps into the back end of the first.

So you'd take the 2-4 WRs over their comparable LTs? Especially when considering most mocks barely have Wright in the first round, if at all? C'mon man.

Free agency will dictate which route the Bears choose to go early in the draft. If we end up with a Dwayne Bowe I have no problems going a different position but if not, WR is the first to come off my pecking list.