Tice will tailor offense to strengths....

azbearsfan

He basically said: Webb is not good enough to be there by himself, and the offense will have to change things to protect Webb.

-He wishes he could draft a LT, but doubts they'll be able to

-Webb will continue to be the weak link

-This weak link will force the Bears to throw short more often to an open WR

-"take advantage of the box count" is code for "the defense doesn't respect the OL enough to line up in a zone or pass defense, electing instead to go one-on-one with the WRs and just pound the QB"

I too was amused at his evaluation of Jamarcus Webb.

"His consistency grade was actually solid."

So first, he says whatever Webb did, he did it consistently. Ok, so what did Webb do?

"What grade was bad was the critical errors, the sacks, penalties."

So then he admits that what Webb did consistently was make critical mistakes. Wow.

I remember in that last game watching Webb and he moved like you'd expect some LT on a college club football team to move. It doesn't matter whether you've got Jared Allen or current day Refrigerator Perry coming at you, ambling around slowly is what it is. And it made me wonder...Carimi is less mobile than this guy (according to coaches)?

I understand that when being at least 6'3" is a requirement for the position that you're automatically filtering out 97% of the best athletes (that conservatively assumes athleticism is evenly distributed among all heights), but maybe I still give too much credit to the athleticism of an NFL left tackle.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the plays where the cameras highlighted Webb were plays where he got caught napping (mentally), and those aren't indicitive of his true athleticism.

"… To do that you have to have the ability to check at the line of scrimmage, you have to have the ability to have a short passing game. And then I'm a no-huddle guy and we don't have no huddle. … I want to be able to go no huddle and change the rhythm offensively."

Check at the line of scrimmage? No-huddle? OMG, that alone is going to be an upgrade for this offense.

i heard they are going to do this wild and crazy thing where the qb takes the ball and bootlegs to one side of the field, at that point wr's are going to run routes and flood that side of the field. now i know no one has ever seen this but its suppose to work well with a qb like Cutler!!! holy shit

ohhhhh wait.......Cutler did this in Denver, now why would Martz ever do that!!!

Seriously. It gives me goosebumps.

Could audibles be in the mix? You know, like a real offense?

Yes they will be. I read another article where Tice stated that when the defense is stacked to stop the run, Cutler will be able to audible out of it instead of trying to force the play as was the case in the Martz system.

Holy gameplanning Batman! We're acting like a big boy team now!

That's outstanding news!

Yes they will be. I read another article where Tice stated that when the defense is stacked to stop the run, Cutler will be able to audible out of it instead of trying to force the play as was the case in the Martz system.

i heard they are going to do this wild and crazy thing where the qb takes the ball and bootlegs to one side of the field, at that point wr's are going to run routes and flood that side of the field. now i know no one has ever seen this but its suppose to work well with a qb like Cutler!!! holy shit

ohhhhh wait.......Cutler did this in Denver, now why would Martz ever do that!!!

Cause he is really smart and his offense is the best. You can tell by all the job offers he didn't get in the off season, so much so he "retired".

You know, if Tice is as successful as an OC as we hope he will be, and the Bears make some noise next year, Tice will probably be one and out as OC as he will land a HC job somewhere in the following year. Hopefully he teaches the QB/passing game coach we are bringing in really well as he may be the next OC after Tice. Let's hope whoever it is has a good head on his shoulders. The person hired for this position, IMO, is going to be important for the future of the Bears if my intuition is correct.

You know, if Tice is as successful as an OC as we hope he will be, and the Bears make some noise next year, Tice will probably be one and out as OC as he will land a HC job somewhere in the following year. Hopefully he teaches the QB/passing game coach we are bringing in really well as he may be the next OC after Tice. Let's hope whoever it is has a good head on his shoulders. The person hired for this position, IMO, is going to be important for the future of the Bears if my intuition is correct.

That's an interesting thought.

Cause he is really smart and his offense is the best. You can tell by all the job offers he didn't get in the off season, so much so he "retired".

I thought the retiring thing was funny as well. Really you just got let go by the only team that would give you shot. The only reason they did that was because they couldnt get anyone else to take the job.

Reminds me of a guy i fired, about a week later he tells everyone he quit

Thinking like a good GM, thinking about the future. You think Lovie is thinking that way?

Thinking like a good GM, thinking about the future. You think Lovie is thinking that way?

hahaha. I just know that was sarcasm. Right? Lovie cares VERY little about the future. Otherwise he would have started the young guys in a meaningless week 17 game that served the dual purpose of getting younger guys playing time and getting the Bears a better draft pick.

hahaha. I just know that was sarcasm. Right? Lovie cares VERY little about the future. Otherwise he would have started the young guys in a meaningless week 17 game that served the dual purpose of getting younger guys playing time and getting the Bears a better draft pick.

It's funny you mention that. I was reading an ESPN article from 2010 that talked about the Bears having 15 players on playoff teams that year. To the present, we add D Manning and M Anderson to the list. Both performed well with Manning starting for a top defense and Anderson reaching double digit sacks again. It also points to former staff stating a lack of player development.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/colu...&id=4814118

Also

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...,7233049.column

As much as I'm glad Angie is gone, the true culprit still lurks...

I follow your thought process!

However, I'm still 100% convinced our stagnation is a 3 headed monster. So far, one head has been removed...2 to go!

It's funny you mention that. I was reading an ESPN article from 2010 that talked about the Bears having 15 players on playoff teams that year. To the present, we add D Manning and M Anderson to the list. Both performed well with Manning starting for a top defense and Anderson reaching double digit sacks again. It also points to former staff stating a lack of player development.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/colu...&id=4814118

Also

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...,7233049.column

As much as I'm glad Angie is gone, the true culprit still lurks...

He's saying that the sky is blue is all. Right now, Webb is our LT. Tice doesn't draft or pick up players in FA. So if he's given Webb, he'll do his best to try to help Webb succeed. That's really all we can expect from Tice at this point.

If management gives him something better, I'm sure Tice will be more than happy to put that person in at LT.

Except when he talks about Webb as his LT. Get someone at the line's most important position that can play!

He's saying that the sky is blue is all. Right now, Webb is our LT. Tice doesn't draft or pick up players in FA. So if he's given Webb, he'll do his best to try to help Webb succeed. That's really all we can expect from Tice at this point.

If management gives him something better, I'm sure Tice will be more than happy to put that person in at LT.

Sorry guys. Tice is being real. If a great LT prospect would be there in the draft or FA, maybe the Bears would go that route. But the fact of the matter is that option doesn't exist and as a result, we will likely see another year of Webb. But I bet you see the Bears continue to work with him and add new wrinkles to the protection scheme to put him in the best position to be solid.

I think I pretty much said that exact same thing if you re-read my post...

Sorry guys. Tice is being real. If a great LT prospect would be there in the draft or FA, maybe the Bears would go that route. But the fact of the matter is that option doesn't exist and as a result, we will likely see another year of Webb. But I bet you see the Bears continue to work with him and add new wrinkles to the protection scheme to put him in the best position to be solid.