Emery is the new GM

Ed Hochuli 3:16

The future of the Bears is being placed in the hands of Phil Emery, who has been chosen to be the team's new general manager.

Emery will succeed Jerry Angelo, who was fired after an 11-year run.

Emery once worked for Angelo with the Bears as a regional scout. He was hired by Mark Hatley in 1998 and retained by Angelo when he took over in 2001.

Emery was offered a promotion to be the Falcons' director of college scouting in 2004 by then-Falcons' personnel director Tim Ruskell, and the Bears gave Emery their blessing to take the job. He joined the Chiefs in 2009 and has overseen their drafts as well.

Among the players he has had a hand in drafting have been Brian Urlacher, Rex Grossman, Matt Ryan, Roddy White and Eric Berry.

"He's one of the hardest workers I've ever been around," Chiefs general manger Scott Pioli said. "I can't overemphasize the hard working part. He's outstanding at his job. Detailed, meticulous, organized."

Before joining the Bears, Emery was a college strength coach.

Emery was chosen over Patriots director of pro personnel Jason Licht, who was the Bears' other finalist for the position. Other interviewees including Chargers director of player personnel Jimmy Raye, Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross and Ruskell.

The new general manager will have control over the 53-man roster and also will decide if the team should extend the contract of Lovie Smith after the 2012 season.

Trib

Judging from the tweets by Zaidman, Jensen, etc., Emery will have all of the power to do whatever he wants, besides firing Lovie right now. Originally, a lot of us (excluding myself and a few others) on this board thought he'd simply be the organization's b****. It's good news that he won't be.

Judging from the tweets by Zaidman, Jensen, etc., Emery will have all of the power to do whatever he wants, besides firing Lovie right now. Originally, a lot of us (excluding myself and a few others) on this board thought he'd simply be the organization's b****. It's good news that he won't be.

I still want to wait and see and I don't know about you but when I hear all these guys who are on the Bears beat making comments on the radio, they always talk as if they are trying to be careful not to offend someone.

If anyone here watched the Chiefs beat the Packers late in the regular season...the Chiefs WRs were giants and there was nothing that Packer secondary could do to defend them.

Bowe, Baldwin and TE Lenny Pope went up for back shoulder throws and 50/50 balls and basically said to GB's DBs all game, "Yeah here is my shoulder pad in your facemask while I go up for this. I'm either catching this or you're going to fight like hell to knock it away."

I'm sorry to generalize in a quote- but this is exactly what happened and Nicks made some similar plays in the Giant victory in the playoffs.

Cutler hasn't been able to throw 50/50 balls to anyone other than Aromashodu and Olsen since he's been here....hopefully Emery identifies this right away and gets Cut some big WRs he can throw open when things break down.

I approve of the hire and I'm on the bandwagon!

his name isn't Ruskell which is +1, he's been involved in drafts before, and has been involved in drafting some pretty good talent. I would have rather seen Ross but I kinda had a feeling it would end up being Emery. What I don't care for as much is that he happens to have connections here. The Bears seem to prefer hiring someone who is or was connected to someone who's in the organization now. Whether it's a friend, former colleague, friend of a friend, drinking buddy, or whatever. That said Emery might be a good fit at GM he has experience with the draft which was one of the main areas that got Angelo fired. He has some good names associated with him as far as drafting goes. So I will give him a chance it will probably take a couple years or so to really see if he's a good fit or not. What we shouldn't do is say if he doesn't have an outstanding first year and we don't win a SB that he sucks and needs to go. A new GM rarely turns the team around in a year. We gave Angelo 11 years. Let's just hope that if it's 5-6 years down the road and there is little to no improvement in the GM area and he's still here then I'd start raising cane.

There's a lot to like and be hopeful for. I get the impression he's a dot the "i's" cross the "t's" kind of guy. I don't expect boxes to go unchecked...

I really think this is a good hire. Emery is very good at identifying talent. It will be interesting to see how he does from a pro personell perspective and how he ultimately manages the roster but as a pure talent evaluator, he's proven himself to have a strong eye for talent.

He sure sounds like a "Meat and Potato".

That press conference was pretty bad. Sync with Lovie, what is Lovie a Palm Pilot? Hopefully things work out. I'll support him until he gives me reason to otherwise.

I like how all the so called tough media guys were basically asking the same questions and he was rubber stamping his answer. He seems like a straight-forward kind of guy and actually sounds like he has a plan on how to go forward from this point. One interesting thing he said was about the scouting approach now is not how he wants it to be and that he will keep somethings in place until after this draft.

I don't know how anyone could hate that press conference. We've all wanted playmakers for a long time, wanted Ruskell out, and wanted a great FO, and he mentioned the "Patriot Way" one or two times, fired Ruskell hours ago, and said the word "playmakers" at least a dozen times. I don't give a damn how boring he is. Lou Piniella was a cool listen when he was in Chicago. How did that work out?

I understood every word he said and every word was actually listed in the Webster dictionary, LOL.

I like what I heard, no, he did not give away any "secrets" but did we really want him to? Would that have been best for the Bears?

I want a good solid GM not a cheerleader or someone making "they were who we thought there were" type of rants to entertain us.

We do not need a Ditka type press conference, we need a leader in the front office who knows what the hell he is doing and I think we now have one.

I am looking forward to the free agency period, could be very interesting.

I understood every word he said and every word was actually listed in the Webster dictionary, LOL.

I like what I heard, no, he did not give away any "secrets" but did we really want him to? Would that have been best for the Bears?

I want a good solid GM not a cheerleader or someone making "they were who we thought there were" type of rants to entertain us.

We do not need a Ditka type press conference, we need a leader in the front office who knows what the hell he is doing and I think we now have one.

I am looking forward to the free agency period, could be very interesting.

I agree and with most of the people he named I can't remember a press conference from any of them. Now with all the press conferences we have had during JA's tenure the "Whistle Dixie" one was a perfect end to his tenure. He constantly made references to have complete control was not where his head was at. He admitted on several times that he had power in certain situations but said that was not "Where My Head Is At" and emphasized team effort and expertise.

Seifert:

The Bears have hired an old-fashioned grinder who presented no gimmicks and spoke extensively about his stint as a strength and conditioning coach at the Naval Academy. Close your eyes and imagine the type of person who would hold such a job -- tough, right-edged, someone who e-nun-ci-ates every syllable -- and you'll have a good idea of how Emery presented himself Monday. Like many coaches, he finished many sentences with the word "okay," as in, "We will have clear roles, okay." It's a term that reinforces a direct statement rather than seeks approval for a theory. He said he is looking for players and employees with "good back-boned toughness" and left little doubt about his authority when he said he has "full control" over the 53-man roster.

Emery laid out a clear vision for how he will run the Bears' front office, saying he will set a standard for all employees to "develop expertise in their roles." Only then will they have an opportunity for advancement. "That will permeate throughout or organization," he said. "Meeting the standard for of being an expert in your role."

As a scout and later a college scouting director, Emery said he spent anywhere from three to seven days at home per month during the fall. (And, yes, I got the feeling he sat down and counted. Such is his apparently precise nature.) He can't possibly follow that schedule as a general manager, but for now his plan is to spent the early portion of the week at Halas Hall and then scout college games on Thursdays and Saturdays. "I want to get my eyes on players," he said.

Speaking generally about the type of player that stands out to him, Emery said: "They dominate others. ... This is a big man's game. ... There are smaller players that have had success, but overall, history will show you this is a big man's game." I took that as another example of his traditional background and approach.

Emery said he considers himself a "teammate" of coach Lovie Smith and is "here to help him." Basically, that means Emery is Smith's boss in an administrative sense but isn't inclined to exercise that authority on Day 1.

Emery clamped down on a number of specific questions, from what he considered the Bears' roster needs to whether he would put the franchise tag on tailback Matt Forte. As many other general managers in today's NFL would agree, Emery said he won't give away the "competitive advantage" of his assessment and plans. I'll say the same thing I've said when similar sentiments have been expressed by other organizations. There's no reason to announce that you're not going to provide details on your operation. Just answer the questions as you see fit. You accomplish your goal of protecting information without calling the attention of fans and/or media members who want more.

Although he wouldn't discuss his plans for Forte, Emery did reveal a solid mental file of his pre-draft interview with him five years ago. "He struck me as a fine person," Emery said, "who comes from a good family."

My sense is that the Bears aren't going to reinvent the wheel under Emery's leadership. They're going to work through traditional channels and expect his process and expertise to bring them better results. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Oh god. That press conference was a disaster. I feel like I know less about the hire than I did initially. Did he actually say anything with substance to it?

I must have been listening to something different, but he sounded like a man with a plan. But I don't put much weight on press conferences either way. But he sounded to me like a guy who has led, knows how to led, and already has a plan and structure in place.

I must have been listening to something different, but he sounded like a man with a plan. But I don't put much weight on press conferences either way. But he sounded to me like a guy who has led, knows how to led, and already has a plan and structure in place.

I don't think a press conference is particularly that important but what we heard (or what little we heard since he didn't actually say anything) I was not impressed. He beat around every question, kept using the same words over and over again, even made up the word "orientated", and I didn't like how he didn't really take ownership of being the man in charge. Kept deflecting that towards "working together as a team" instead of showing that leadership and letting it be known that he's the guy that's making the decision. It's just a gripe. As long as he drafts well and gets players in free agency, I'm good.