Ruskell out

Chitownhustla

I was a little surprised this happened. I figured Emery would have been the one guy who would have kept Ruskell, given there past history together, but usually in instances where someone doesn't get a job they interview for, they tend to leave the organization (in professional sports). I'm curious to see who Phil brings in.

Be interesting to see his approach, is a trade down guy, stand pat guy, or willing to trade up to grab a gem? We are accustomed to JA in his trading down for more and more picks, rolling the dice on a player with a "history" to be concerned about. Does Emery shy away from any "flags"? Could be a very interesting draft and free agency.

Guest TerraTor
Be interesting to see his approach, is a trade down guy, stand pat guy, or willing to trade up to grab a gem? We are accustomed to JA in his trading down for more and more picks, rolling the dice on a player with a "history" to be concerned about. Does Emery shy away from any "flags"? Could be a very interesting draft and free agency.

Long as he drafts guys from Division I Schools...

Really though, JA drafted almost excusively from Div I in the first 4 rounds, so probably not as much as you'd remember in retrospect. Just Roosevelt Williams and Danieal Manning, I believe, neither from the last half-decade.

JA did draft from smalltime Div I schools a lot though. But Tillman came from LaLafayette, Urlacher from New Mexico (not a JA pick), Forte from Tulane. If you can hit on talent from small time schools too, that should be a sign you're doing a little better than just going with what Street & Smiths football magazine suggests.

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draf...=chi&lg=nfl

Pretty sure Jerry Rice went to a division 1AA school(not for sure on this), oh wait where did Walter Payton go to school???? Im pretty sure that was a 1AA school.

Two of the best NFL players of ALL TIME did not go to Division 1 schools.

It is not about what school they went to, its all about the Player and what he can do.

Pretty sure Jerry Rice went to a division 1AA school(not for sure on this), oh wait where did Walter Payton go to school???? Im pretty sure that was a 1AA school.

Two of the best NFL players of ALL TIME did not go to Division 1 schools.

It is not about what school they went to, its all about the Player and what he can do.

As well as HOF DEs Richard Dent Tennessee St,Reggie White Tennessee State and former Bear Jerry Azumah and current Bear Corey Graham New Hampshire,SBMVPs Doug Williams Grambling and Phil Simms Morehead State and the list goes on and on.

As well as HOF DEs Richard Dent Tennessee St,Reggie White Tennessee State and former Bear Jerry Azumah and current Bear Corey Graham New Hampshire,SBMVPs Doug Williams Grambling and Phil Simms Morehead State and the list goes on and on.

Um, yeah, you can pull some out, but I think the original point was that there are many more players from big D-I colleges in the NFL than otherwise. You may strike it rich by playing the lottery, but it's a safer bet to put your money is something with proven success.

For instance, just the A's.

Smaller Football Schools

Abilene Christian - 5 (2 of the drafted by the Bears)

Air Force - 1

Akron - 4

Alabama A&M - 2

Alabama St. - 2

UAB - 3

Alcorn St. - 2

Appalachian St. - 5

Arkansas St. - 6

Arkansas Pine Bluff - 1

Bigger Football Schools

Alabama - 26

Arizona - 14

Arizona St. - 18

Arkansas - 17

Auburn - 31

Um, yeah, you can pull some out, but I think the original point was that there are many more players from big D-I colleges in the NFL than otherwise. You may strike it rich by playing the lottery, but it's a safer bet to put your money is something with proven success.

For instance, just the A's.

Smaller Football Schools

Abilene Christian - 5 (2 of the drafted by the Bears)

Air Force - 1

Akron - 4

Alabama A&M - 2

Alabama St. - 2

UAB - 3

Alcorn St. - 2

Appalachian St. - 5

Arkansas St. - 6

Arkansas Pine Bluff - 1

Bigger Football Schools

Alabama - 26

Arizona - 14

Arizona St. - 18

Arkansas - 17

Auburn - 31

I thought Chitownhustla responded to TT's original point of only drafting Div I schools. No one can approach the draft like that. I don't care if you find a player under a rock if he can help the team bring him in. Chitown also emphasized that you can also take a look at the smaller Div I schools and find a guy like Urlacher. This team's early rounders from whatever school haven't fared so well which is why Emery was on public display yesterday instead of JA the reach master.

I thought Chitownhustla responded to TT's original point of only drafting Div I schools. No one can approach the draft like that. I don't care if you find a player under a rock if he can help the team bring him in. Chitown also emphasized that you can also take a look at the smaller Div I schools and find a guy like Urlacher. This team's early rounders from whatever school haven't fared so well which is why Emery was on public display yesterday instead of JA the reach master.

Perhaps it's a matter of interpretation. I can't believe someone would honestly be saying "draft only from Div I schools" without there being a caveat in there. Otherwise it would be a ridiculous argument. If Walter gets reincarnated and plays for Austin Peay, then you draft him. But if you have a habit of steering away from D-I talent, then it's probably time to reassess.

Guest TerraTor
Perhaps it's a matter of interpretation. I can't believe someone would honestly be saying "draft only from Div I schools" without there being a caveat in there. Otherwise it would be a ridiculous argument. If Walter gets reincarnated and plays for Austin Peay, then you draft him. But if you have a habit of steering away from D-I talent, then it's probably time to reassess.

I was referring to Abilene Christian. Not all. Plenty of studs have come from unknown school.

I was referring to Abilene Christian. Not all. Plenty of studs have come from unknown school.

I agree with that. I believe the kid Tony Washington who was a top OT prospect from there was on the Bears' radar and when the information came out that he had a sexual relationship with his step or foster sister who was under age he went undrafted. The Bears under JA and Lovie have done extensive scouting in the Texas area with schools like Abilene-Christian,Texas and Texas A&M Kingsville in the mix. Texas A&M Kingsville was a contributor to the Bucs roster during JA's tenure there which,leads me to believe that was part of his scouting area and Roberto Garza is the only current Bear who is an alumnus and JA brouhgt him in as a FA leading me to believe he knew about and liked him coming out. One other name off the top of my head that he also brought here was Robby Abdullah basically a special teamer.

I agree with that. I believe the kid Tony Washington who was a top OT prospect from there was on the Bears' radar and when the information came out that he had a sexual relationship with his step or foster sister who was under age he went undrafted. The Bears under JA and Lovie have done extensive scouting in the Texas area with schools like Abilene-Christian,Texas and Texas A&M Kingsville in the mix. Texas A&M Kingsville was a contributor to the Bucs roster during JA's tenure there which,leads me to believe that was part of his scouting area and Roberto Garza is the only current Bear who is an alumnus and JA brouhgt him in as a FA leading me to believe he knew about and liked him coming out. One other name off the top of my head that he also brought here was Robby Abdullah basically a special teamer.

We have someone new to praise or condemn..Time. will tell. JA and Ruskill gone we now have hope.