Everybody Weigh In

lemonej

I suppose it would depend on what happened beforehand. But, convential wisdom says that the following players are already gone:

Kalil, Martin, Rieff

Blackmon

I'd rather have a LT, and Adams is projected as a RT, but at that point it would look like Floyd as the most logical choice. If Martin or Rieff are there, however, then I think it's obvious you go LT. The impact would be significant. The improvement over Webb would be drastic and immediate. And WRs are deep this year. The Bears could easily get very good/great talent in the 2nd-4th round at WR.

I think we have a better chance of addressing the WR needs in FA than OT, therefore, assuming FA goes as I hope it does, if a WR and an OT were both of equal grade, I would opt for the OT. The Bears need to protect Cutler and open holes for Forte, unless they do, does it matter what skill players we have on offense?

Guest TerraTor
You are in the war room and Mike Adams and Michael Floyd are available at the 19th pick. What's your pick. I would take Floyd over Adams because I believe he is a higher rated prospect than Adams but Floyd can't get the ball if Cutler is on his back.

Tough to say without Free Agency. I would draft Floyd as it stands right now....

Well Floyd, no brainer. The feeling I get from this draft, in what is relatively light on offensive lineman talent, is that some of these guys that are projected to go mid-late first are really only there by default. Granted some seem to look like bonafide players, however I don't believe Adams is one of them. You could trade down to get these guys if that was your plan.

I think we have a better chance of addressing the WR needs in FA than OT, therefore, assuming FA goes as I hope it does, if a WR and an OT were both of equal grade, I would opt for the OT. The Bears need to protect Cutler and open holes for Forte, unless they do, does it matter what skill players we have on offense?

Pix I agree but I have had trouble finding a mock that doesn't have the Bears taking Floyd and I believe Floyd should be gone before the pick but listening to PE (gotta use his initials now) he seems to already have a thought out plan. I personally would prefer the Bears to take the highest rated OL at 19 and then hope for Brian Quick of App. ST to be available or Rueben Randle two WRs that probably will be available with the Bears 2nd rd pick.

I suppose it would depend on what happened beforehand. But, convential wisdom says that the following players are already gone:

Kalil, Martin, Rieff

Blackmon

I'd rather have a LT, and Adams is projected as a RT, but at that point it would look like Floyd as the most logical choice. If Martin or Rieff are there, however, then I think it's obvious you go LT. The impact would be significant. The improvement over Webb would be drastic and immediate. And WRs are deep this year. The Bears could easily get very good/great talent in the 2nd-4th round at WR.

That also would include FA and since none of us know what PE is going to do all we have is speculation. I personally like the way Adams is progressing and also he as well as Cordy Glenn worked out at LT and played LT in the game and fared well. . He played LT at OSU so I still believe he is an upgrade over Webb and I still hold out hope that the draft an interior guy and move Williams back out to LT with a block or bust mentality.

Pix,

I think I'm in agreement with you. In the end, so much simply depends on what was done in FA before the draft.

I don't believe what I'm reading here. Adams is projected as a LT and even if he's a RT, he's already 49x better than Webb. And, since the LT FA class is weak, I'd go Adams over Floyd at this point.

They talked about Adams on the score with someone down at the senior bowl, Adams is a LT and has been man handling everyone down there. The scout said Adams is a lock at LT for the next 15 years if you draft him.

I really do not want to pick until i know what FA we bring in.

Guest TerraTor
They talked about Adams on the score with someone down at the senior bowl, Adams is a LT and has been man handling everyone down there. The scout said Adams is a lock at LT for the next 15 years if you draft him.

I really do not want to pick until i know what FA we bring in.

Reminds me of Robert Gallery's prognosis..

Pix,

I think I'm in agreement with you. In the end, so much simply depends on what was done in FA before the draft.

Agreed. I get annoyed with the draft talk before FA. Cutler has talked about wanting a big target like Brandon Marshall. Vincent Jackson & possibly Bowe are available. I'll be shocked if we don't make a run at a big WR's. We sign Jackson, no way we draft a WR in round #1. That makes the WR draft talk moot.

I'm curious how Webb & Carimi's grade out. Are we looking for replacements or competition? If they're the future, you don't take a tackle in round #1.

Agreed. I get annoyed with the draft talk before FA. Cutler has talked about wanting a big target like Brandon Marshall. Vincent Jackson & possibly Bowe are available. I'll be shocked if we don't make a run at a big WR's. We sign Jackson, no way we draft a WR in round #1. That makes the WR draft talk moot.

I'm curious how Webb & Carimi's grade out. Are we looking for replacements or competition? If they're the future, you don't take a tackle in round #1.

Then what about DeCastro at G?

Kalil, Martin, Rieff

Blackmon

Agree with the above.

That also would include FA and since none of us know what PE is going to do all we have is speculation. I personally like the way Adams is progressing and also he as well as Cordy Glenn worked out at LT and played LT in the game and fared well. . He played LT at OSU so I still believe he is an upgrade over Webb and I still hold out hope that the draft an interior guy and move Williams back out to LT with a block or bust mentality.

Agreed. Adams > Webb. There is no doubt. But it just seems the fourth LT would be rated lower on the Bears board than the second WR. Maybe he is. And maybe he is actually a player that has the skills and potential for LT in the NFL. I've read some stuff that is calling him more of a RT than LT. If that's not the case, and he's actually a LT, then I'd have to say Adams over Floyd. As I've been saying for years, it doesn't matter who the Bears get at WR if Cutler is constantly under pressure.

Guest TerraTor

If we sign Jackson, i feel we do take WR at 19. Kendall Wright would be a monster second option, if not first. I love VJack, but he hasnt shown to be a #1 in my opinion.. never 70catches, never double digit TDs

If we sign Jackson, i feel we do take WR at 19. Kendall Wright would be a monster second option, if not first. I love VJack, but he hasnt shown to be a #1 in my opinion.. never 70catches, never double digit TDs

Let's be clear though, Vincent Jackson is as good of a down the field option as there is in the league. He's not exactly a possession receiver, he's not Wes Welker, and that's why he doesn't get 100 catches...but he also has never needed to be, because he's been on a team with options like Sproles, Gates, the other Floyd, etc. That doesn't mean he's not a number 1 option...Randy Moss had plenty of stellar seasons with 70-80 catches, but they were big play catches (and he then later started turning in 100 reception seasons when guys like Chris Carter retired).

If you happen to have a QB who is generally thought to have a cannon for an arm, who might be exceptional at making passes down the field if given time to do so, then Jackson could be an excellent fit. Perhaps even a better fit than he was with Rivers.

If the Bears get Jackson, and if the original situation for this thread occurs, then Adams makes much more sense. The only way it doesn't make sense would be if the Bears have Floyd ranked much, much higher than Adams, and Floyd is the undeniable BPA at that point.

Agreed with those that say it's a difficult question to answer without seeing what is done in free agency.

This is an amazingly deep class of potential free agents. I say potential in italics because the top guys (Bowe, V-Jackson, Colston, Welker, Stevie Johnson, Mike Wallace, Wayne) are all fairly likely to either get franchised or re-signed. If none of them hit the market, we are left with guys like Desean Jackson (who is like Devin Hester with a little better hands--but still with Hester's below average route-running and shying away from contact), Manningham, Lloyd, or Meachem. They would all be upgrades over what we have, but not difference-makers.

If we can't get one of the upper-tier guys (the ones likely to not hit the market), we need to go after a first-round WR who has the potential to be a difference maker. If we can secure a top-end talent, then I'd vote for addressing other needs in the first round. I think LT and DE would be my top two positions of need for first round talent. We certainly need some help in the secondary, but our system makes good use of guys who wouldn't typically go in the first round.

I think we need to add two pass-catchers in free agency. My top choices would be Bowe and Fred Davis. I think, for the money, Fred Davis would be one of the most impactful signings we could make in free agency.

Adams isn't that great of a talent and is more projected as a RT so with the team as it is right now I'm taking Floyd. Having him on the roster finally adds a consistent 3-step drop threat to the team and that alone negates a fair amount of pass rush. He also give Jay a guy he can throw open. Add in his help as a red zone target and I think the impact is greater.

Now if one of the top 3 OT prospects are on the board then I'm taking one of them over Floyd.

Adams isn't that great of a talent and is more projected as a RT so with the team as it is right now I'm taking Floyd. Having him on the roster finally adds a consistent 3-step drop threat to the team and that alone negates a fair amount of pass rush. He also give Jay a guy he can throw open. Add in his help as a red zone target and I think the impact is greater.

Now if one of the top 3 OT prospects are on the board then I'm taking one of them over Floyd.

That's a ridiculous statement.

Agreed with those that say it's a difficult question to answer without seeing what is done in free agency.

This is an amazingly deep class of potential free agents. I say potential in italics because the top guys (Bowe, V-Jackson, Colston, Welker, Stevie Johnson, Mike Wallace, Wayne) are all fairly likely to either get franchised or re-signed. If none of them hit the market, we are left with guys like Desean Jackson (who is like Devin Hester with a little better hands--but still with Hester's below average route-running and shying away from contact), Manningham, Lloyd, or Meachem. They would all be upgrades over what we have, but not difference-makers.

If we can't get one of the upper-tier guys (the ones likely to not hit the market), we need to go after a first-round WR who has the potential to be a difference maker. If we can secure a top-end talent, then I'd vote for addressing other needs in the first round. I think LT and DE would be my top two positions of need for first round talent. We certainly need some help in the secondary, but our system makes good use of guys who wouldn't typically go in the first round.

I think we need to add two pass-catchers in free agency. My top choices would be Bowe and Fred Davis. I think, for the money, Fred Davis would be one of the most impactful signings we could make in free agency.

I totally agree with your choices. Davis would be beast with Cutler, since I believe we can get these two f agents. Then Adams is a logical choice. He looked so good at sen. Bowl he may not berhere when we pick.

That's a ridiculous statement.

And your data to prove your position?

From what I've read on this guy, one sample below, where do you see dominate LT?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1620008

Pass blocking: Tall, long, athletic pass protector. Generally gets out of three-point stance with good knee bend and a wide base. Improving his ability to use his hands to redirect rushers and late blitzers away from the pocket. Power rushers lose most battles, good anchor in close quarters, will reset hands and move feet to sustain. Stops his feet after initial contact at times, relying on length but allowing defender to get the corner or spin inside.

Run blocking: Solid positional run blocker who flashes some nastiness. Attacks his man when necessary, though he won't consistently dominate him and will lose his balance by overextending. Quick feet, can get inside of tackle to wall off inside and reach linebackers at the second level adeptly. Nice punch which he uses to knock down smaller defenders with one extension. Height a detriment in short-yardage plays, defender can get under his pads to hold the line. Flashes the ability to move his man with his hands, but is not yet consistent in this area.