Talking out of my .....

madlithuanian

OK, the SB is done. Laddi-fricken-da. I was bored. A close game doesn't mean it was a good game. There was nothing that went on that remotely felt like greatness. Just good-ness. Congrats to the Giants. They earned the victory. Now, we can focus on the Bears and next season!

I'm totally chugging massive glasses of Kool-Aid! If this Giants team can win it, our Bears with an improved WR corps, better OL play, and an improved DL can do it! I truly feel that if we address all 3 issues in FA and the draft, and stay relatively healthy in the key positions...we're going and winning. And in a kick ass way.

BEAR THE F DOWN!!!!

I think it puts further emphasis on the point that the Bears should invest money in a guy like Mario Williams or Avril. A dominant pass rush can do a whole lot. I realize the Pats oline did a pretty good job most of the game, but the reality one of the big reasons the Giants made a run in the post-season was that pass rush (and obviously Eli Manning).

As a whole, they were a very flawed team. They also had some luck go there way with Kyle Williams fumbles and the Pats receivers drops.

I agree that the DL of the NYG has a lot to do with their success, and I would like to see Mario Williams on the opposite side of Peppers, but I actually think the key to the NYG offense is the, surprise surprise, OL. They give Eli a ton of time to throw on a consistent basis. TONS. Quick comparison...

Eli: 589 attempts, 72 hits, 28 sacks

Jay: 314 attempts, 87 hits, 49 sacks

On the surface that's ridiculous. Eli dropped back almost twice as much as Jay did, yet was hit less, and sacked nearly half the number of times.

If attempts + sacks is the total number of throws, that means Eli was hit on 12% of his dropbacks and sacked on 5%. By comparison, Jay was hit on 24% and sacked on 13%. Jay Cutler was sacked with more frequency that Eli was even hit. Read that again.

And the sad part of this is, we don't have any reliable statistic on "number of times pressured," because we know that number would be off the chart.

I hear ya.

Shore up the trenches even just a little bit on both sides, and it'll be a huge improvement. Tack in some more reliable WR's...and we may really have something.

I agree that the DL of the NYG has a lot to do with their success, and I would like to see Mario Williams on the opposite side of Peppers, but I actually think the key to the NYG offense is the, surprise surprise, OL. They give Eli a ton of time to throw on a consistent basis. TONS. Quick comparison...

On the surface that's ridiculous. Eli dropped back almost twice as much as Jay did, yet was hit less, and sacked nearly half the number of times.

If attempts + sacks is the total number of throws, that means Eli was hit on 12% of his dropbacks and sacked on 5%. By comparison, Jay was hit on 24% and sacked on 13%. Jay Cutler was sacked with more frequency that Eli was even hit. Read that again.

And the sad part of this is, we don't have any reliable statistic on "number of times pressured," because we know that number would be off the chart.

Great analysis and I agree with what you talk about above. Clearly the oline is an important aspect and something the Bears need to improve. I know we've debated between how much it needs to be upgraded but I definitely agree with you 100% regarding the overall importance of the position.

Jason outstanding post! Those numbers say it all and I'm sure it doesn't include hits or sacks erased by penalties by Bears opponents.I always thought that hits are almost doubled compared to sacks and pressures almost doubled compared to hits which should include a sum of hits and sacks plus the times the QB was able to get the ball off by avoiding a defender or recognizing where the pressure is coming from and getting rid of the ball without being hit or sacked.

Jason outstanding post! Those numbers say it all and I'm sure it doesn't include hits or sacks erased by penalties by Bears opponents.I always thought that hits are almost doubled compared to sacks and pressures almost doubled compared to hits which should include a sum of hits and sacks plus the times the QB was able to get the ball off by avoiding a defender or recognizing where the pressure is coming from and getting rid of the ball without being hit or sacked.

Also what needs to be added here is that Manning had better WR to throw to that were open as Cutler had to hold the ball more waiting on our WR to do something. He has better chemisrty with his WR than Jay does with our(except for Bennett) WR and has a true # 1 to throw to.

Also what needs to be added here is that Manning had better WR to throw to that were open as Cutler had to hold the ball more waiting on our WR to do something. He has better chemisrty with his WR than Jay does with our(except for Bennett) WR and has a true # 1 to throw to.

Also add that Eli didn't have Martz getting him murdered every week.(that's on Lovie) Plus, NYG has had their line in place for years.(that's on Angelo)

Had Brady been wearing #6 and a Bears uniform the media would be blasting him for his critical mistakes in the game that cost his team the victory. That was against a Giants team that couldn't get any consistent pass rush. Brady often had 4-5 seconds to throw. That included his first play when he intentionallly grounded the ball when he could have just escaped the pocket and threw it out of bounds. His INT was way underthrown and gave the Giants some momentum back. His pass to a wide open Welker late in the game was horribly behind and above him, nothing at all like what you'd expect from the so-called greatest QB ever.

Eli on the other hand threw many passes into such tight windows I was amazed throughout the game, including the late pass to Manningham. To be fair late in the game Eli had several short passes the fell 5 yards in front of his WRs.

It's all good, Tom's wife came to his defense and blamed the WRs who had 4 drops. Cutler had to smile when he heard that one and was likely thinking "and only 4 drops".

Cutler was pressured on 38.6% of his dropbacks, of "pocket" QBs, only Eli Manning (38.9%) and Kevin Kolb (39.5%) took pressure more frequently.

Cutler was pressured on 38.6% of his dropbacks, of "pocket" QBs, only Eli Manning (38.9%) and Kevin Kolb (39.5%) took pressure more frequently.

Where did you get this stat, flea? Since the hits and sacks are usually the smoke to pressure's fire, I have a hard time believing that Eli was pressured anywhere near the percentage that Cutler was.

Here's one version of that list of stats. It seems to suggest to me that Manning and Cutler were "pressured" similar numbers of times, but Manning was better at avoiding the sack. Cutler was then somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Also worth noting, doesn't have enough ATT to appear on these lists, and I think eveyrone here can agree that at the end of the season, the performance of the O-line deteriorated, esp. after Williams and Forte went down.

Here's one version of that list of stats. It seems to suggest to me that Manning and Cutler were "pressured" similar numbers of times, but Manning was better at avoiding the sack. Cutler was then somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Also worth noting, doesn't have enough ATT to appear on these lists, and I think eveyrone here can agree that at the end of the season, the performance of the O-line deteriorated, esp. after Williams and Forte went down.

Very interesting. Seems a bit odd considering the lack of correlation to sacks and hits, but since I obviously can't/haven't broken down every game, it's not something I can cleanly dispute.

Very interesting. Seems a bit odd considering the lack of correlation to sacks and hits, but since I obviously can't/haven't broken down every game, it's not something I can cleanly dispute.

I should add...this seems to be really tough data to find compiled, and probably has to be done play by play, so there probably would be some variance if there were any other versions of the numbers out there...

But it really doesn't surprise me that some QB's would be better at avoiding the sack than others, and that some blocking schemes would be better at keeping pressures from turning into sacks than others.

I should add...this seems to be really tough data to find compiled, and probably has to be done play by play, so there probably would be some variance if there were any other versions of the numbers out there...

But it really doesn't surprise me that some QB's would be better at avoiding the sack than others, and that some blocking schemes would be better at keeping pressures from turning into sacks than others.

Eli took a lot of hits on the year in general. Unfortunately I deal with a lot of Giant fans and they constantly referred to their line as being the worse in football.

...and some teams have WR's that go back and help a QB out.

You're right and I believe the researcher who is compiling this data won't be finished until this year's TCs.

Where did you get this stat, flea? Since the hits and sacks are usually the smoke to pressure's fire, I have a hard time believing that Eli was pressured anywhere near the percentage that Cutler was.

Same place as baltas link PFF