RB in the draft

jason

I've been seeing lots of mocks where LaMichael James from Oregon is falling into the third and fourth round. Would be prudent for the Bears to spend a late third on him if other issues have been addressed? For instance, what if the Bears had the following:

1: Michael Floyd, WR, ND

2: Janoris Jenkins, DB, UNA

3a: Nate Potter, LT, BST

3b: LaMichael James, RB, OR

If that happened, I see three potential first day starters, and a great RB who could either fill in for Forte to give him a break or potentially replace him if the contract never gets sorted out. Add in the fact that there will be a ton of OLB depth available in the fourth round, and it sounds like a recipe for success to me.

Depends on whether they view Bell as a legit option for their 3rd RB spot or they view him as too much of a fumble risk. Really is that simple to me.

Lots of reasons to complain about Barber (Denver game), but he's really the perfect compliment to Forte, in that Forte has always had 1 weakness in his game, and that's short yardage/end zone situations, where Barber excels. I like the Forte/Barber setup and hope that endures for a couple more years, that's as good of a strenght/weakness compliment pair as you can find.

I've been seeing lots of mocks where LaMichael James from Oregon is falling into the third and fourth round. Would be prudent for the Bears to spend a late third on him if other issues have been addressed? For instance, what if the Bears had the following:

If that happened, I see three potential first day starters, and a great RB who could either fill in for Forte to give him a break or potentially replace him if the contract never gets sorted out. Add in the fact that there will be a ton of OLB depth available in the fourth round, and it sounds like a recipe for success to me.

That is something I could get behind right there!!!!!

Depends on whether they view Bell as a legit option for their 3rd RB spot or they view him as too much of a fumble risk. Really is that simple to me.

Lots of reasons to complain about Barber (Denver game), but he's really the perfect compliment to Forte, in that Forte has always had 1 weakness in his game, and that's short yardage/end zone situations, where Barber excels. I like the Forte/Barber setup and hope that endures for a couple more years, that's as good of a strenght/weakness compliment pair as you can find.

I agree with you and like the depth we have in our current backfield. However, I seemed to get the impression that the Bears were going to cut Barber. I'm not quite sure I understood why because outside of that Denver game (which was dumb) I thought he played solid and I do think he fills a need. I also think Bell is pretty solid (outside of the fumbles).

I like Lemichael as well but probably pass on a RB this year. However, late in the 3rd, I got to admit, that is pretty good value.

A big knock on Barber is he is injury prone. That alone could make one think a RB should be taken at some point in the draft. The question is whether you go for a bruiser to compliment Forte, or a similar RB to Forte to spell him (replace him?).

I agree with you and like the depth we have in our current backfield. However, I seemed to get the impression that the Bears were going to cut Barber. I'm not quite sure I understood why because outside of that Denver game (which was dumb) I thought he played solid and I do think he fills a need. I also think Bell is pretty solid (outside of the fumbles).

I like Lemichael as well but probably pass on a RB this year. However, late in the 3rd, I got to admit, that is pretty good value.

A big knock on Barber is he is injury prone. That alone could make one think a RB should be taken at some point in the draft. The question is whether you go for a bruiser to compliment Forte, or a similar RB to Forte to spell him (replace him?).

I think you absolutely need a short yardage guy next to Forte more than anything. If you want a "Similar RB" to spell him, then that's your 3rd RB role. Forte is much less effective without a TD hog. We've all seen it, he's just not a good short yardage back.

How about a DE or OLB? Potter is an NFL RT.

James wouldn't be too bad. Bell fumbles a lot and has an injury prone past.

Agreed.

It'll be interesting how our new GM plays this...

I think you absolutely need a short yardage guy next to Forte more than anything. If you want a "Similar RB" to spell him, then that's your 3rd RB role. Forte is much less effective without a TD hog. We've all seen it, he's just not a good short yardage back.

How about a DE or OLB? Potter is an NFL RT.

James wouldn't be too bad. Bell fumbles a lot and has an injury prone past.

Dude, read the whole post! There is a ton of OLB depth this year, and plenty of quality guys would be there in the 4th. As for Potter, I don't know why he's an NFL LT. He has the speed, hands, footwork, and the frame to put on a little more weight. His only "flaw" is that people really don't know if he can blow defenders off the ball. This is because of Boise State's lack of attention to running, and Potter's size. I have no doubt he could be a starting LT, and I know for a fact he's better than Webb.

Dude, read the whole post! There is a ton of OLB depth this year, and plenty of quality guys would be there in the 4th. As for Potter, I don't know why he's an NFL LT. He has the speed, hands, footwork, and the frame to put on a little more weight. His only "flaw" is that people really don't know if he can blow defenders off the ball. This is because of Boise State's lack of attention to running, and Potter's size. I have no doubt he could be a starting LT, and I know for a fact he's better than Webb.

Ease up, boss. I just think Potter is a RT as do a lot of others. Yes, I know he's better than Webb. I'm better than Webb at 6'1, 210.

I agreed and said I like James as an option.

All I said was drafting an OLB and or DE in rounds 1-3 would be nice. I know there's a lot of OLB depth, but I'd rather have a good one then a solid one. Umless they sign Williams or Avril, they're in trouble.

First off, the only RB the Bears have under contract is Marion Barber. So i would think he will be back, unless we sign both Forte and Bell to long term deals. I don't think they will be looking to cut him w/o some type of long term bodies at the position.

edit: But I like LaMichael James and think he would be a decent pick

Interesting looking back at that game now, if Barber doesn't do that and we win, we might have finished 9-7, missed the playoffs and had a worse draft position.

Interesting looking back at that game now, if Barber doesn't do that and we win, we might have finished 9-7, missed the playoffs and had a worse draft position.

Then add the play where he lined up wrong against KC and we might have made the playoffs and really screwed our draft position but,JA is not pick and we really don't know much about the man with the final say which should keep this board hopping 'til the draft.

I just feel that Barber showed his lack of football IQ on the plays we are talking about and after recovering from a calf injury to attempt to do a flip in the endzone after you score a TD tells me you aren't to bright at all.