These are the Free gents I would be after

Wesson44

Below is a list of FA that I think the Bears sould be trying to get to make this team better. I know that there is now way we can get all of the (TOO MUCH KOOLAID) but a combination of two or three will still work wonders for our team.....like a DE, WR OT/OG

1. Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans: The Texans used him as a 3-4 rush outside linebacker last year, but I think his best spot is as a 4-3 end.

2. Robert Mathis, DE, Indianapolis Colts: He is coming off his best season but turns 31 this month and is older than some teams would like for free agents. He has improved against the run and could easily make the transition from 4-3 end to 3-4 rush 'backer.

3. John Abraham, DE, Atlanta Falcons: He had 9 1/2 sacks for the Falcons in 2011 and played better late when he was entirely healthy. But he turns 34 in May. He will be hard-pressed to get a big contract because of that.

4. Cliff Avril, DE, Detroit Lions: He has 19 1/2 sacks the past two seasons, including 11 last season. He has developed into a top pass rusher. He turns 26 in April, which makes him even more valuable.

5. Robert Mathis, DE, Indianapolis Colts: He is coming off his best season but turns 31 this month and is older than some teams would like for free agents. He has improved against the run and could easily make the transition from 4-3 end to 3-4 rush 'backer.

6. Stephen Tulloch, MLB, Detroit Lions: On a one-year deal, he had 111 tackles and two picks for the Lions. He just turned 27, so age isn't an issue. He's a steady player.

7. Brandon Carr, CB, Kansas City Chiefs: How often do good man-cover players in their primes hit the market? This kid is about to get paid. He is this high because he plays a premium position well. He turns 26 in May.

8. Cortland Finnegan, CB, Tennessee Titans: He just turned 28 this month and will be a hot commodity on the open market. It doesn't appear he's coming back to Tennessee. The Lions would seem to be a team that will make a push.

9. Carlos Rogers, CB, San Francisco 49ers: He is the player who will benefit most from signing a one-year deal. He will cash in big after a good 2011 season for the 49ers. He isn't young, turning 31 in July.

10. Dashon Goldson, S, San Francisco 49ers: He is coming off his most complete season. He has always been a good run defender, but improved against the pass this season with six picks. He seemed leaner and faster. He turns 28 in September.

11. Tracy Porter, CB, New Orleans Saints: He is a good, solid starting corner, and those guys get paid. The Saints probably won't be able to keep him. He turns 26 in August.

12. Aaron Ross, CB, New York Giants: He's been a decent starting corner for two Super Bowl teams. That means something. He's a good second corner. He turns 30 in September.

13. Demetrius Bell, T, Buffalo Bills: After starting 16 games in 2010, he had just six starts in 2011 because of knee issues. He turns 28 in May, which means his best football is in front of him.

14. Ben Grubbs, G, Baltimore Ravens: He missed six games with a toe injury this season, but started 48 straight from 2008-10. He is the other guard on the Ravens line to Marshall Yanda, but he's still a good player. He turns 28 in March.

15. Carl Nicks, G, New Orleans Saints: I consider him to be the best guard in the NFL. He is a nasty player who can block for the run or the pass. He turns 27 in May.

16. Jared Gaither, T, San Diego Chargers: The Chargers added him late when Marcus McNeil went down and he played well down the stretch. He has ability, which he showed when he was a starter for the Ravens before back troubles slowed his career. He turns 26 in March.

17. Vincent Jackson, WR, San Diego Chargers: The Chargers want him back, but at what cost? The indication is that the team won't tag him. He turned 29 in January.

18. Dwayne Bowe, WR, Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs want him back in the worst way, but at what price? He is their top target in the passing game, but do they tag him? He turns 28 in September.

19. Marques Colston, WR, New Orleans Saints: The question with Colston is whether he would be as good in another system. I say yes, but he isn't a burner. He turns 29 in June.

20. Robert Meachem, WR, New Orleans Saints: He's never caught more than 45 passes in a season but has the speed teams love. He does have 20 touchdown catches in the past three seasons. He turns 28 in September.

21. Mario Manningham, WR, New York Giants: The Super Bowl hero is a good player, but is he a No. 2 receiver. And how much will he cost? Did the Super Bowl make the price come up? He turns 26 in May.

22. Pierre Garcon, WR, Indianapolis Colts: He caught a career-high 70 passes last season without good quarterback play. He can fly, which will make him attractive to other teams. He turns 26 in August.

23. Matt Flynn, QB, Green Bay Packers: How good is he? Does anybody really know? Is he Rob Johnson or Matt Schaub? The team that signs him better hope he's the latter. He turns 27 in June.

24. Stephen Tulloch, MLB, Detroit Lions: On a one-year deal, he had 111 tackles and two picks for the Lions. He just turned 27, so age isn't an issue. He's a steady player.

Garcon is pretty much Johnny Knox. Both are fast speedy receivers that can't catch the football very well. Mario Williams should be the obvious #1 target in FA when he becomes available. The Bears will have the money to spend. It's just a matter of how Emery plans to build this team. I want atleast one established veteran WR in FA and another one or two through the draft.

Garcon is pretty much Johnny Knox. Both are fast speedy receivers that can't catch the football very well. Mario Williams should be the obvious #1 target in FA when he becomes available. The Bears will have the money to spend. It's just a matter of how Emery plans to build this team. I want atleast one established veteran WR in FA and another one or two through the draft.

I think the focus is now on the offense, and we will spend the big money there, I say that with caution because Lovie is still in a power position and he will have a say for defense. I dont think Knox will be back so we need to fill his spot with another second tier WR, Garcon, Meacham, or my choice Eddie Royal. He isnt the best choice but I dont think we have as much money to spend as everybody thinks so he will be a low cost choice, that had a great year with Cutler pitching to him and maybe we could catch lighting in a bottle with him. You list all the needs we have but unfortunatly we wont target LB because of all the other needs we have. Our needs in this order:

OLT- goint to be hard to find

#1WR- we will get one

OL- probably will add someone

CB- hopeful someone with talent

DE- definate need, but wont be priority

#2WR- I think we will add someone

LB- we need depth, but to many other needs

backupQB- a must but doubt it

It would be nice to fill all needs, but dont think that is possible in one off season. Hopefully add 4 players that can contirbute right away.

OLT- goint to be hard to find

#1WR- we will get one

OL- probably will add someone

CB- hopeful someone with talent

DE- definate need, but wont be priority

#2WR- I think we will add someone

LB- we need depth, but to many other needs

backupQB- a must but doubt it

It would be nice to fill all needs, but dont think that is possible in one off season. Hopefully add 4 players that can contirbute right away.

I think all of those needs are fillable...as long as you don't insist on both a pro-bowl LT and a pro-bowl WR. Add in the draft, and you can pull off 2 WR's, 1 CB, 1 rotationl-level OT, 1 DE, a LB, and keeping McCown around as backup QB, along with a few other positions.

Finding the money for both a top flight WR and somehow pulling off a top flight LT might be a problem, since I'm not sure I see any of the latter.

I think all of those needs are fillable...as long as you don't insist on both a pro-bowl LT and a pro-bowl WR. Add in the draft, and you can pull off 2 WR's, 1 CB, 1 rotationl-level OT, 1 DE, a LB, and keeping McCown around as backup QB, along with a few other positions.

Finding the money for both a top flight WR and somehow pulling off a top flight LT might be a problem, since I'm not sure I see any of the latter.

I agree, thats why I think because of his injury issue, D. Bell/Buf/LT could be had at a fair price. Also grab a WR more of the likes of S. Johnson because he wont cost the same as Bowe/Jackson/Colston. I think we can fit them in the budget plus a 2nd tier WR (Royal) then fill our other needs in the draft. CB,DE, another WR, LB depth. We almost have to hit on all our needs to improve this year to a SB contender. Boy that will be tough.

I agree, thats why I think because of his injury issue, D. Bell/Buf/LT could be had at a fair price. Also grab a WR more of the likes of S. Johnson because he wont cost the same as Bowe/Jackson/Colston. I think we can fit them in the budget plus a 2nd tier WR (Royal) then fill our other needs in the draft. CB,DE, another WR, LB depth. We almost have to hit on all our needs to improve this year to a SB contender. Boy that will be tough.

I would like to add, they probably (Buf) will tag one of them. so maybe not very realistic.

Maybe for the Bears Royal would be considered a second tier WR, but in my eyes, he's a third tier WR. To say the Bears would be fine with he, a 1st round pick, and a guy like Garcon is nuts.

If your talking about my post if wouldnt be Garcon, if would be S. Johnson, a draft pick and Royal. Royal will just take Knox's place(since I think he will be done playing football) and just has the upside of being good again being back with Cutler. S. Johnson, Draft pick, Bennett, Royal, as our first 4, think that would work out for WRs. The draft pick will be the BIG WR we need. Floyd, Hill, Randle,Toon,McNutt.

Tulloch will be a $5m ILB for someone next year, not a $6m OLB for the Bears.

If your talking about my post if wouldnt be Garcon, if would be S. Johnson, a draft pick and Royal. Royal will just take Knox's place(since I think he will be done playing football) and just has the upside of being good again being back with Cutler. S. Johnson, Draft pick, Bennett, Royal, as our first 4, think that would work out for WRs. The draft pick will be the BIG WR we need. Floyd, Hill, Randle,Toon,McNutt.

Not you, no.

Interesting note from profootballtalk...

Teams can carry over (if they choose) their remaining cap space from 2011 into 2012. If that's true, then the Bears could theoretically have (if they choose) a projected 27 mil to work with. That's a big deal, because 27 mil is enough to sign 2 pretty big free agents, extend Forte, and fill in with some lesser guys to fill out the pre-draft roster.

So we could sign Vincent Jackson AND Avril (or Mario Williams). Then maybe pick up Martellus Bennett for tight end, and some competition in the secondary and o-line. That would really free up Emery to deepen the roster with the draft, rather than trying to find several starters.

Again, this assumes the McCaskeys are willing to actually use that space.

Guest TerraTor

Teams can carry over (if they choose) their remaining cap space from 2011 into 2012. If that's true, then the Bears could theoretically have (if they choose) a projected 27 mil to work with. That's a big deal, because 27 mil is enough to sign 2 pretty big free agents, extend Forte, and fill in with some lesser guys to fill out the pre-draft roster.

So we could sign Vincent Jackson AND Avril (or Mario Williams). Then maybe pick up Martellus Bennett for tight end, and some competition in the secondary and o-line. That would really free up Emery to deepen the roster with the draft, rather than trying to find several starters.

Martellus Bennett? Really?

Martellus Bennett is a stiff, but I love the idea of Jackson and Avril/Williams. I heard this "carrying last year's cap room over" on NFL Live today. Seems intriguing.

FWIW, my source told me today that the organization loves Kellen Davis. They truly believe he can he a very good TE. So, look for him to get a 2 or 3 year extension and scratch off any Finley ideas.

27 mil would be the low end of the figure. Could be 31. Plus teams are allowed a 3 mil buffer to be applied the following season. There will also be some people that get cut, but that will be more than offset by the FA's that need resigned.

I'd think this is a good idea anyway since out of the 2, Davis would be much more plausible to outperform his contract than Finley.

The more people we lose , the more we have to sign. I am bad at. Math 8,to Forte , 9 mil to a #1WR, 5 to a rookie pool, maybe. 5 to resign our own FAs, , I can't figure how we go after 2bigtime FAs.

I'd think this is a good idea anyway since out of the 2, Davis would be much more plausible to outperform his contract than Finley.

Completely agree. I think the Bears need 2, possibly 3 wide-receivers. In a worse case scenario (e.g, you strike out on the top 5 FA wideouts), I'd argue that you would be best off signing Royal (or Wayne), Garcon, and picking Floyd. The three guys should compliment each other well, add in Bennett, plus Hester, and while you don't have a true #1 (hopefully Floyd develops into that), you have a pretty darn deep corp's. Garcon is a sleeper. Dude has put up pretty good numbers each of the past 2 years (last year's were with a terrible QB).

I don't think any of the above would cost significant money. Thus, you have money left-over to spend on a DE (Avrill), a CB, and olinemen. You might even be able to go after a safety (if you don't believe in Wright). There are a few solid safeties out there and safeties generally don't cost big money to sign.

Martellus Bennett is a stiff, but I love the idea of Jackson and Avril/Williams. I heard this "carrying last year's cap room over" on NFL Live today. Seems intriguing.

FWIW, my source told me today that the organization loves Kellen Davis. They truly believe he can he a very good TE. So, look for him to get a 2 or 3 year extension and scratch off any Finley ideas.

Maybe. I don't have any problem with that. But it would be interesting to see a dual TE set that the Bears can run out there ala NE's Gronkowski and Hernandez. Davis and Finley would be a pretty potent combo and Tice was a former TE himself. I could see him getting all giddy at building his offense through the TE's. Just a thought.

Maybe. I don't have any problem with that. But it would be interesting to see a dual TE set that the Bears can run out there ala NE's Gronkowski and Hernandez. Davis and Finley would be a pretty potent combo and Tice was a former TE himself. I could see him getting all giddy at building his offense through the TE's. Just a thought.

Both Finley and Davis are exceedingly unlikely to hit the market, so you can put that idea to bed. I'm not in love with Martellus Bennett, but he has a lot of upside and would come fairly cheap. He's been stuck behind Witten his whole career, so there may be more to him than we have seen.

We may have as much as 30 mil in cap room, but I think people need to temper their expectations. As much as I'd like them to, it's pretty unlikely the Bears sign multiple big name free agents. Also, many of the message board favorites (Finley, Fred Davis, bowe etc) aren't going to hit the market. A lot of teams have a lot of cap room, and I think more frnachise tags will get used this year than typical.

Both Finley and Davis are exceedingly unlikely to hit the market, so you can put that idea to bed. I'm not in love with Martellus Bennett, but he has a lot of upside and would come fairly cheap. He's been stuck behind Witten his whole career, so there may be more to him than we have seen.

We may have as much as 30 mil in cap room, but I think people need to temper their expectations. As much as I'd like them to, it's pretty unlikely the Bears sign multiple big name free agents. Also, many of the message board favorites (Finley, Fred Davis, bowe etc) aren't going to hit the market. A lot of teams have a lot of cap room, and I think more frnachise tags will get used this year than typical.

Dude, ease up. I believe he's referring to Kellen Davis when he says "Davis." If the Bears used $16 million on Fred Davis and Finley, I'd jump off of something 20 stories high.

I'm talking about Kellen Davis, not Fred Davis.