Newest offseason 2/10/12

Ed Hochuli 3:16

March:

Franchise Forte

--Key offensive piece for the Bears; expect a longer term deal as TC approaches.

Sign Demetrius Bell- 4 years, $18 million.

--Bell only gave up 1 sack in 6 starts at LT last year, but he has had some knee issues. Still, he's 48x better than Webb.

Sign Stevie Johnson- 5 years, $25 million.

--Not that I love this, but I see the Bears going this route. He'll be cheaper than Bowe/Jackson/D.Jackson, and he and Bennett have the same agent.

Sign Eddie Royal- 2 years, $4 million.

--Knox's career is likely over, at least in Chicago, and Royal is a similar player. Of course, Royal is slower but he has better hands and he knows Cutler.

Sign Manny Lawson- 3 years, $12 million.

--Lawson had a good year with the Bengals, and his strength is stopping the run. Plus, he's only 28.

Extend Graham, McCown, Bell, Idonije, Steltz, Okoye, and Davis.

--Graham is a key ST piece, McCown proved to be an OK backup, Bell is solid, Idonije is purely depth, Steltz is a good ST player, Okoye was decent last year, and Davis has potential.

Cut Adams, Spaeth, Barber, Wootton, and Omiyale.

--Adams sucks, Spaeth is useless, Barber isn't playing with 52 cards, Wootton stinks, and Omiyale is the worst player in football. Doing this will also free up approximately $12 million this year, if my math is right.

Draft:

1. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

--There's a good chance he isn't around at 19. Hell, he might even go to the Jaguars, but Kiper has him as his 23rd prospect, and the Bears need CB help.

2. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona

--Criner had a great season and a great SB week. He's a big guy, and a corps of Johnson, Bennett, Criner, Garcon, and Hester is pretty damn good.

3. Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia

--Johnson isn't a great pass rusher, but he's good enough and he's also good against the run. He reminds me of Alex Brown.

3. Brandon Taylor, S, LSU

--I was very impressed with Taylor throughout the year, and I'm surprised most view him as a 3-5 round prospect. Regardless, he can play ST, or even start at SS if Wright continues to play like an out of control moron.

4. Audie Cole, LB, North Carolina State

--Cole is a pretty good player with starting potential in the NFL. He can play MLB or OLB, and this will be a depth move.

5. Ben Jones, C, Georgia

--Spencer won't be around past this year, and Garza's playing out of position and he's getting up there in age. Jones can play in the NFL some day.

6. BJ Coleman, QB, Tennessee Chattanooga

--It doesn't seem like the Bears believe in Enderle. Coleman can take his spot as a developmental QB behind Cutler and McCown.

7. Chris Rainey, KR/PR/WR/RB, Florida

--At this point, they have nothing to lose. Rainey can absolutely fly and can make some plays, even if it's just on KR, where Hester has been struggling.

Last one until FA is over.

I'm pretty sure Stevie Johnson is going to get almost double what you are proposing. How its structured and how much real money is involved is whole nother story but I wouldn't expect an average salary of just $5M per year. In fact, I thought I had heard on the radio he was talking 9-10M per year (consistent with VJax/Bowe).

Why would you cut Spaeth? He is a good blocking TE and solid depth player? Plus he's the only TE the Bears have under contract.

I'm pretty sure Stevie Johnson is going to get almost double what you are proposing. How its structured and how much real money is involved is whole nother story but I wouldn't expect an average salary of just $5M per year. In fact, I thought I had heard on the radio he was talking 9-10M per year (consistent with VJax/Bowe).

Why would you cut Spaeth? He is a good blocking TE and solid depth player? Plus he's the only TE the Bears have under contract.

Yeah, and Knox wanted $7 million/year. That really means nothing. If a team gives Johnson that much, then he can go to that team. $9-10 million annually is way too much for him.

I'd cut Spaeth because I thought he was absolutely horrible this past year.

In regards to Lawson, Bell and Royal....

That's over/under $11Mil in your proposed contracts. I'd rather throw $8-9Mil of that at Finley.

I also believe Buffalo will throw A LOT more than that to keep Bell, but I respect your off-season plan overall.

So instead of getting a solid #4 WR who was a good #2 with Cutler, a LT who has proved himself, and an OLB who has shown how good he is in a 4-3, you'd rather just get one TE who struggled with drops last year?

On that note then, you want Webb or a rookie at LT, Roach or a rookie at OLB, and a 4-6 round rookie WR or Hester or Sanzenbacher as the #4 WR, correct?

So instead of getting a solid #4 WR who was a good #2 with Cutler, a LT who has proved himself, and an OLB who has shown how good he is in a 4-3, you'd rather just get one TE who struggled with drops last year?

On that note then, you want Webb or a rookie at LT, Roach or a rookie at OLB, and a 4-6 round rookie WR or Hester or Sanzenbacher as the #4 WR, correct?

I believe Finley would help Tice accomplish a lot of what he wants to do and would provide Cut with a huge target over the middle.

Also, depending on who that Rookie LT is....I'm certainly not opposed to having that player come in and compete with Webb for the starting LT spot and eventually taking it over.

Reference the #4 WR....I wouldn't have any problem at all if Sanzenbacher battled it out with a over/under 3rd Round pick for that spot if we indeed had a Bowe type #1WR, Bennett #2 and Hester #3 with Finley at TE. If the Bears focused a lot of their draft in improving the OL- that would be a hell of an off-season. I have no problem with Roach playing next to Urlacher/Briggs. I'm not familiar on whether or not Manny played the WLB or SLB in Cincy, but would only really be interested in throwing 4mil/year at him if the Bears did indeed deal Briggs to free up that money and add another draft pick.

I believe Finley would help Tice accomplish a lot of what he wants to do and would provide Cut with a huge target over the middle.

Also, depending on who that Rookie LT is....I'm certainly not opposed to having that player come in and compete with Webb for the starting LT spot and eventually taking it over.

Reference the #4 WR....I wouldn't have any problem at all if Sanzenbacher battled it out with a over/under 3rd Round pick for that spot if we indeed had a Bowe type #1WR, Bennett #2 and Hester #3 with Finley at TE. If the Bears focused a lot of their draft in improving the OL- that would be a hell of an off-season. I have no problem with Roach playing next to Urlacher/Briggs. I'm not familiar on whether or not Manny played the WLB or SLB in Cincy, but would only really be interested in throwing 4mil/year at him if the Bears did indeed deal Briggs to free up that money and add another draft pick.

I agree on Finley, but I don't know about that much for one guy.

I just don't want another project. If they're going to replace Webb, do it through FA. I wouldn't be opposed to a T or G in rounds 3 or 4, but I wouldn't count on them to start. With San Diego cutting McNeil soon, he wouldn't be a bad option, but with his release means San Diego will likely go OT in round 1.

If they signed Finley and Bowe, that'd be great and all, but that would be about $19 million between the two and would only leave room for a franchise tag of Forte, and this might mean losing solid pieces like Graham or Bell. Oh, and Hester as a #3? Vomit. Horrible idea. Roy Williams is a better #3 option than Hester.

You mention Royal, but then say "and a corps of Johnson, Bennett, Criner, Garcon, and Hester is pretty damn good."

Oops. I meant Royal.

I like Eddie Royal. I definitely know we could get him for cheap. When Bates and Cutler were in Denver, that was the year he went off for 90 catches. He'll go back to being a beast again. Also could take the place of Johny Knox on special teams backup to Hester.

Colston would be my #1 guy to go after in free agency after Mario Williams and Carl Nicks if he's available. I'd then sign Royal for cheap and draft Kendall Wright with the 19th pick to complete our WR core of Colston, Wright, Bennett, Royal. If we can't get Colston I'd try my hardest to steal Finley away from GB.

March:

Franchise Forte

--Key offensive piece for the Bears; expect a longer term deal as TC approaches.

Sign Demetrius Bell- 4 years, $18 million.

--Bell only gave up 1 sack in 6 starts at LT last year, but he has had some knee issues. Still, he's 48x better than Webb.

Sign Stevie Johnson- 5 years, $25 million.

--Not that I love this, but I see the Bears going this route. He'll be cheaper than Bowe/Jackson/D.Jackson, and he and Bennett have the same agent.

Sign Eddie Royal- 2 years, $4 million.

--Knox's career is likely over, at least in Chicago, and Royal is a similar player. Of course, Royal is slower but he has better hands and he knows Cutler.

Sign Manny Lawson- 3 years, $12 million.

--Lawson had a good year with the Bengals, and his strength is stopping the run. Plus, he's only 28.

Extend Graham, McCown, Bell, Idonije, Steltz, Okoye, and Davis.

--Graham is a key ST piece, McCown proved to be an OK backup, Bell is solid, Idonije is purely depth, Steltz is a good ST player, Okoye was decent last year, and Davis has potential.

Cut Adams, Spaeth, Barber, Wootton, and Omiyale.

--Adams sucks, Spaeth is useless, Barber isn't playing with 52 cards, Wootton stinks, and Omiyale is the worst player in football. Doing this will also free up approximately $12 million this year, if my math is right.

Draft:

1. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

--There's a good chance he isn't around at 19. Hell, he might even go to the Jaguars, but Kiper has him as his 23rd prospect, and the Bears need CB help.

2. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona

--Criner had a great season and a great SB week. He's a big guy, and a corps of Johnson, Bennett, Criner, Garcon, and Hester is pretty damn good.

3. Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia

--Johnson isn't a great pass rusher, but he's good enough and he's also good against the run. He reminds me of Alex Brown.

3. Brandon Taylor, S, LSU

--I was very impressed with Taylor throughout the year, and I'm surprised most view him as a 3-5 round prospect. Regardless, he can play ST, or even start at SS if Wright continues to play like an out of control moron.

4. Audie Cole, LB, North Carolina State

--Cole is a pretty good player with starting potential in the NFL. He can play MLB or OLB, and this will be a depth move.

5. Ben Jones, C, Georgia

--Spencer won't be around past this year, and Garza's playing out of position and he's getting up there in age. Jones can play in the NFL some day.

6. BJ Coleman, QB, Tennessee Chattanooga

--It doesn't seem like the Bears believe in Enderle. Coleman can take his spot as a developmental QB behind Cutler and McCown.

7. Chris Rainey, KR/PR/WR/RB, Florida

--At this point, they have nothing to lose. Rainey can absolutely fly and can make some plays, even if it's just on KR, where Hester has been struggling.

Last one until FA is over.

I totally agree with you FAgents, not all of your draft. I dont usually agree with you but you hit on this one. Those are all FAs I route for , way to go.I think Johnson will cost more , but not by that much. CB at one is good, I would pick a different WR at two, and then I think we need another OL that can compete, then a DE.

I like Eddie Royal. I definitely know we could get him for cheap. When Bates and Cutler were in Denver, that was the year he went off for 90 catches. He'll go back to being a beast again. Also could take the place of Johny Knox on special teams backup to Hester.

Colston would be my #1 guy to go after in free agency after Mario Williams and Carl Nicks if he's available. I'd then sign Royal for cheap and draft Kendall Wright with the 19th pick to complete our WR core of Colston, Wright, Bennett, Royal. If we can't get Colston I'd try my hardest to steal Finley away from GB.

Just to play devil's advocate, didn't we apply that same logic to the Roy Williams signing? Albeit, I think Royal's struggles have more to do with injuries and playing with mediocre QB's. And I fully endorse signing him, but I wouldn't sign him expecting 90 receptions. I'd sign him knowing he'd be a good depth guy, giving the Bears a nice weapon at the #3/#4 wideout spot.

Just to play devil's advocate, didn't we apply that same logic to the Roy Williams signing? Albeit, I think Royal's struggles have more to do with injuries and playing with mediocre QB's. And I fully endorse signing him, but I wouldn't sign him expecting 90 receptions. I'd sign him knowing he'd be a good depth guy, giving the Bears a nice weapon at the #3/#4 wideout spot.

I think it's a safer bet this time around because you already have a quarterback and a QB coach that's familiar with him. I'd imagine they will run alot of similar plays that they ran in Denver to get Cutler more comfortable. If he can stay healthy, I would expect Eddie Royal to get back to being a fringe pro bowl type of player again assuming we add a true #1 receiver along with him.