Randy Moss Signs 1yr Deal W/Niners

Wesson44

I would give him a call better and cheaper than R.Williams

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill

Randy Moss says he’s coming back

Posted by Mike Florio on February 13, 2012, 10:06 AM EST

Few believed it would stick.

And it’s apparently not going to stick.

The man who once said he plays when he wants to play has announced via a Ustream.tv live video that he wants to play.

“I just wanna go to a team and play some football,” Moss said in an appearance commemorating his 35th birthday, which included at one point an acknowledge of our effort to push traffic to the event by mentioning it on the PFT Twitter page.

“I said I had a surprise for y’all,” Moss added not long after showing off a bag of his hair and pointing out that it smelled “musty,” like “sauerkraut.”

He also explained that he retired because he had things going on off the field, and that his family has told him, “It’s fine, whatever you wanna do.”

What’s he’s going to do is return to the game.

“Faith, family, and football, that’s my M.O., bro,” Moss said. “Your boy be back for the upcoming season.”

The offseason just got a lot more interesting.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The man who once said he plays when he wants to play has announced via a Ustream.tv live video that he wants to play.

“I just wanna go to a team and play some football,” Moss said in an appearance commemorating his 35th birthday, which included at one point an acknowledge of our effort to push traffic to the event by mentioning it on the PFT Twitter page.

“I said I had a surprise for y’all,” Moss added not long after showing off a bag of his hair and pointing out that it smelled “musty,” like “sauerkraut.”

He also explained that he retired because he had things going on off the field, and that his family has told him, “It’s fine, whatever you wanna do.”

“Faith, family, and football, that’s my M.O., bro,” Moss said. “Your boy be back for the upcoming season.”

I think Randy would consider the Bears w/ having Cutler and the D in place, knows the Bears could win and win now. The big question is he in the "Patriots frame of mind" or the frame of mind he was in when he went to Oakland??? Also what type of shape is he in?

I would say JA would never take a look at him, it will be interesting to see if Emery will want to talk to him or just pass on him. It is going to get very interesting in the next couple of months seeing a new GM in action. I hope he has the balls to make moves that JA would not. The Pats took a chance on Moss, he was younger then but they still took a chance. They also took chances on Haynesworth and Chad Johnson. Now they did not pan out but did they hurt the team that much? I dont think they hurt the team.

I wonder if Haynesworth is going to get in shape for this season. If he is in shape he has proven to be a great DT in a 4-3. He has not done anything in a 3-4. If he can be had a cheap price and in shape I would take a chance on him. If he shows up acting like a waste of space then i would cut his ass. If he is ready to play he could add to the Dline greatly!

I think Randy would consider the Bears w/ having Cutler and the D in place, knows the Bears could win and win now. The big question is he in the "Patriots frame of mind" or the frame of mind he was in when he went to Oakland??? Also what type of shape is he in?

I would say JA would never take a look at him, it will be interesting to see if Emery will want to talk to him or just pass on him. It is going to get very interesting in the next couple of months seeing a new GM in action. I hope he has the balls to make moves that JA would not. The Pats took a chance on Moss, he was younger then but they still took a chance. They also took chances on Haynesworth and Chad Johnson. Now they did not pan out but did they hurt the team that much? I dont think they hurt the team.

I wonder if Haynesworth is going to get in shape for this season. If he is in shape he has proven to be a great DT in a 4-3. He has not done anything in a 3-4. If he can be had a cheap price and in shape I would take a chance on him. If he shows up acting like a waste of space then i would cut his ass. If he is ready to play he could add to the Dline greatly!

I would LOVE to see Moss go to Chicago. I don't think the Tice connection can be understated either. The Bears could be a perfect fit for him.

Much rather see Moss than Owens...

I'd rather not. The Bears need guys on the right side of 30, not guys who quit on their last team. He'd come here and be the #4 given that they organization drafts a WR and signs another. He wasn't happy being the 4th option in Tennessee and he won't be here. I'd rather not take the chance of him screwing this team. Every offseason, we have the Moss/TO discussion. Pass.

I covered this a long time ago. Randy Moss would be a great addition and you have to almost totally discount his last year with three teams. He was barely used in New England, and then after that he was all but ignored. And this is especially true in Tennessee where he got almost no targets despite being on an atrocious passing offense without other options. He did not quit on them; they quit on him.

I'd go so far as to say he's guaranteed to put up somewhere close to 10 TDs. He's just unguardable from a physical standpoint. And if the talk of him still being able to run a sub-4.4 is true, he's still a poor man's #1 WR, and better than any WR on the Bears' roster right now.

I'd rather not. The Bears need guys on the right side of 30, not guys who quit on their last team. He'd come here and be the #4 given that they organization drafts a WR and signs another. He wasn't happy being the 4th option in Tennessee and he won't be here. I'd rather not take the chance of him screwing this team. Every offseason, we have the Moss/TO discussion. Pass.

Yeah, and imagine if the Bears would have actually made the move one of the countless offseasons we have had this debate/discussion. The Bears would have finally had a #1 WR. Something that hasn't been around in forever. But no, let's keep passing on them every year and ignoring the #1 WR while complaining every year about not having a #1 WR.

The discussion is only remotely different now because they are older, but they were both available numerous times over numerous years...and the Bears could have had them both. But instead everyone would rather sit around a bitch about the potential that either of the two guys would cause problems...while getting 1200yds and 10TDs in their sleep.

I covered this a long time ago. Randy Moss would be a great addition and you have to almost totally discount his last year with three teams. He was barely used in New England, and then after that he was all but ignored. And this is especially true in Tennessee where he got almost no targets despite being on an atrocious passing offense without other options. He did not quit on them; they quit on him.

I'd go so far as to say he's guaranteed to put up somewhere close to 10 TDs. He's just unguardable from a physical standpoint. And if the talk of him still being able to run a sub-4.4 is true, he's still a poor man's #1 WR, and better than any WR on the Bears' roster right now.

I dont know how I havent seen this before, you are brilliant. Instead of signing De. Bowe for 9 mil, and wasting our 1st round pick on a WR, we sign Moss, TO, Chad Johnson,and Buress for the same money as for Bowe. We go 16-0, Culter throws for 54 TDs, and we win the Super Bowl by 46 points. You have opened my eyes to the quality over 35 WRs that are so available for us. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I dont know how I havent seen this before, you are brilliant. Instead of signing De. Bowe for 9 mil, and wasting our 1st round pick on a WR, we sign Moss, TO, Chad Johnson,and Buress for the same money as for Bowe. We go 16-0, Culter throws for 54 TDs, and we win the Super Bowl by 46 points. You have opened my eyes to the quality over 35 WRs that are so available for us. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

HA! Sarcasm font. I'm not saying they solve all problems. I'm saying they are viable options that should have been explored LONG ago. If the Bears had gone after TO or Moss when they were both available the first or second time, we probably wouldn't have had the absence of #1 WR for, well, forever. Compare either Moss or TO's numbers to any Bears' WR over the same time and you'll find the disparity.

Year after year everyone on the board supports the Bears' hesitancy to get either WR, and year after year there were three truths: the Bears didn't get either, the Bears lacked a true #1, and the two WRs kicked ass all over the league. The way I see it now, there is still a chance to catch lightning in a bottle with both of them. They each want to prove they still have it. They each could probably be signed to minimal, incentive-based contracts that could yield high results. If they start shit, cut them. If they don't, they could be just the push the Bears' offense needs to get up the hill.

If I were GM, I'd sign them both. TO is the underneath possession guy; Moss is the over the top guy. I'd have Bennett and Hester in the mix (since I don't think Knox will be coming back), and I'd do everything I could to turn the offense into a west coast offense that max-protects on a fairly frequent basis. I'd draft LT in the first, someone like Toon or McNutt in the 2nd (to learn tricks of the trade from the soon to be HoFers), keep a FB and/or TE in on just about every play to protect Cutler, and let Jay throw for 4000+ yards.

HA! Sarcasm font. I'm not saying they solve all problems. I'm saying they are viable options that should have been explored LONG ago. If the Bears had gone after TO or Moss when they were both available the first or second time, we probably wouldn't have had the absence of #1 WR for, well, forever. Compare either Moss or TO's numbers to any Bears' WR over the same time and you'll find the disparity.

Year after year everyone on the board supports the Bears' hesitancy to get either WR, and year after year there were three truths: the Bears didn't get either, the Bears lacked a true #1, and the two WRs kicked ass all over the league. The way I see it now, there is still a chance to catch lightning in a bottle with both of them. They each want to prove they still have it. They each could probably be signed to minimal, incentive-based contracts that could yield high results. If they start shit, cut them. If they don't, they could be just the push the Bears' offense needs to get up the hill.

If I were GM, I'd sign them both. TO is the underneath possession guy; Moss is the over the top guy. I'd have Bennett and Hester in the mix (since I don't think Knox will be coming back), and I'd do everything I could to turn the offense into a west coast offense that max-protects on a fairly frequent basis. I'd draft LT in the first, someone like Toon or McNutt in the 2nd (to learn tricks of the trade from the soon to be HoFers), keep a FB and/or TE in on just about every play to protect Cutler, and let Jay throw for 4000+ yards.

thank god your not a GM, you would be unemployed right now with the old WR thing. What ever you want to bet, Bennett will have more catches than the two of them combined next year.

Yeah, and imagine if the Bears would have actually made the move one of the countless offseasons we have had this debate/discussion. The Bears would have finally had a #1 WR. Something that hasn't been around in forever. But no, let's keep passing on them every year and ignoring the #1 WR while complaining every year about not having a #1 WR.

The discussion is only remotely different now because they are older, but they were both available numerous times over numerous years...and the Bears could have had them both. But instead everyone would rather sit around a bitch about the potential that either of the two guys would cause problems...while getting 1200yds and 10TDs in their sleep.

And this is exactly why I don't want him around. He would've been a good addition "countless" offseasons ago, but right now, he wouldn't be, and neither would TO. If you really think either of these two guys who get 1200 yards and 10 touchdowns next year with the Bears, you're nuts. This is arguably the best WR FA class in a long, long time, and even if some of the good ones like DeSean Jackson and Dwayne Bowe get franchised, that still leaves guys like Mike Wallace (RFA), Stevie Johnson, and Vincent Jackson, etc.

If the Bears settle on Moss or TO + Michael Floyd, this was a FAILURE of an offseason, because they didn't get a veteran WR in their prime, or a franchise LT with the 19th pick. This offseason should be about the offense in FA (unless they feel strongly about M.Williams or Avril) and the defense in the draft (unless a LT falls to them at 19 [Martin, Reiff, Adams] or if they sign Williams or Avril in FA), even though most of you will disagree with me on the defense part.

As someone else said, I'd be willing to wager that Bennett has a better statistical season than TO or Moss in 2012. There's a reason every other NFL team didn't want either of those guys this year, and don't say it's because TO wasn't 100% and Moss "retired." If a team wanted him, he would've played in 2011.

And please, those teams quit on Moss? If he was really that good in Tennessee or Minnesota, I think they would've found him a way to get him the ball, especially with offenses that were pass-challenged.

And this is exactly why I don't want him around. He would've been a good addition "countless" offseasons ago, but right now, he wouldn't be, and neither would TO. If you really think either of these two guys who get 1200 yards and 10 touchdowns next year with the Bears, you're nuts. This is arguably the best WR FA class in a long, long time, and even if some of the good ones like DeSean Jackson and Dwayne Bowe get franchised, that still leaves guys like Mike Wallace (RFA), Stevie Johnson, and Vincent Jackson, etc.

If the Bears settle on Moss or TO + Michael Floyd, this was a FAILURE of an offseason, because they didn't get a veteran WR in their prime, or a franchise LT with the 19th pick. This offseason should be about the offense in FA (unless they feel strongly about M.Williams or Avril) and the defense in the draft (unless a LT falls to them at 19 [Martin, Reiff, Adams] or if they sign Williams or Avril in FA), even though most of you will disagree with me on the defense part.

As someone else said, I'd be willing to wager that Bennett has a better statistical season than TO or Moss in 2012. There's a reason every other NFL team didn't want either of those guys this year, and don't say it's because TO wasn't 100% and Moss "retired." If a team wanted him, he would've played in 2011.

And please, those teams quit on Moss? If he was really that good in Tennessee or Minnesota, I think they would've found him a way to get him the ball, especially with offenses that were pass-challenged.

Yeah, saying those teams quit on Moss might be one of the funniest things I've heard all off season.

Couldn't agree more. Spot on!

Couldn't agree more. Spot on! Sign a stud and draft a stud for the future.

I don't think either guy is great, but I actually do think 1200/10 is a possibility for either because there aren't really other great options. Again, this isn't because I think they're still great, just that the options are limited and someone has to get the yards and TDs. I'd imagine Cutler would default to either guy over just about anyone else on roster.

Agreed almost completely. Moss/TO shouldn't the answer, just the stop-gap while another FA and a rookie find their way.

Depends on which team they go to. If Moss or TO went to the Bears, I'd take that bet.

Sorry, I live in the Tennessee Titans broadcasting area. That's all I get on local stations. Tennessee quit on Moss. Go look at the targets. They didn't even really try to integrate him, and since they sucked, reason dictates that they try to use Moss. They didn't. I watched the games. They didn't use him.

I don't think either guy is great, but I actually do think 1200/10 is a possibility for either because there aren't really other great options. Again, this isn't because I think they're still great, just that the options are limited and someone has to get the yards and TDs. I'd imagine Cutler would default to either guy over just about anyone else on roster.

Agreed almost completely. Moss/TO shouldn't the answer, just the stop-gap while another FA and a rookie find their way.

Depends on which team they go to. If Moss or TO went to the Bears, I'd take that bet.

Sorry, I live in the Tennessee Titans broadcasting area. That's all I get on local stations. Tennessee quit on Moss. Go look at the targets. They didn't even really try to integrate him, and since they sucked, reason dictates that they try to use Moss. They didn't. I watched the games. They didn't use him.

So did you predict 70 to 80, 1000 yards for Williams this year? If and a big if someone picks up Moss, what will your excuses be for his lack of production, a NFL conspirecy ? If we picked up a top tier WR in FAgency, and draft a high pick in the draft like we should, if we had Moss, he would look like R. Williams did this year. Just because you want him , doesnt mean he is any good.

So did you predict 70 to 80, 1000 yards for Williams this year? If and a big if someone picks up Moss, what will your excuses be for his lack of production, a NFL conspirecy ? If we picked up a top tier WR in FAgency, and draft a high pick in the draft like we should, if we had Moss, he would look like R. Williams did this year. Just because you want him , doesnt mean he is any good.

I was actually unsure but hopeful for Roy. He had talent but could never fully realize that talent. I do know he made a highlight reel catch or two against the Bears.

Saying what Moss will or won't do next year is different from a prediction. I think if he were on the Bears, he would do much better than Roy this year, and certainly better than a rookie. Just because you don't want him doesn't mean he's suddenly bad. He dominated a very short time ago, and there's no reason to believe he couldn't still be very effective this year.

I was actually unsure but hopeful for Roy. He had talent but could never fully realize that talent. I do know he made a highlight reel catch or two against the Bears.

Saying what Moss will or won't do next year is different from a prediction. I think if he were on the Bears, he would do much better than Roy this year, and certainly better than a rookie. Just because you don't want him doesn't mean he's suddenly bad. He dominated a very short time ago, and there's no reason to believe he couldn't still be very effective this year.

Not defending Roy, but will Moss block like him or run routes when he knows he is not the primary? We need a complete reciever to compliment our run game. Let alone when we bring a highly drafted rookie in and the future HOF'er is an influence. I'll pass unless they go nuts and add him after a stud FA WR.