RUMOR MILL

GakMan23

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That should be more than enough to accomplish bringing in a vet #1 WR, re-signing our own, and potentially adding a decent addition to the DL....

As Tom Petty said, "The waiting is the hardest part..."

FWIW Biggs wrote an article today saying a league executive thinks the Bears cap space could be "as high as $28 million," which would be the most in the division by far. So, no more $30-46m cap space rumors should arise. Still, $28m is a good anount.

FWIW Biggs wrote an article today saying a league executive thinks the Bears cap space could be "as high as $28 million," which would be the most in the division by far. So, no more $30-46m cap space rumors should arise. Still, $28m is a good anount.

Now we are not guaranteed to roll over any cap space, correct. We just have that option, right?

Supposedly some research was done on Hester's cap hit and most of the listing weren't correct. I can't even pretend that this is accurate. Basically put, I think the 44 number is probably a bit high, but after the Bears clean up some space on Omilaye and others, I think they will be close to 36M or so. Which actually should give the Bears quite a bit of flexibility. I'd like to extend Melton, work out a fair deal for Idonijie, Graham, Bell, Steltz and McCown (as you talk about). Forte should be somewhere around 6-8 M (depending on whether you franchise him or sign him long term). After you do that, even if you think 8 & 8, that is 16M. That would leave the Bears with about 18M to address some other areas. That should be enough money to sign one guy to a big time deal (even potentially 2). Or you could sign one guy to a big time deal and add quite a few other quality starters.

After we do Forte , lets say we have 20, so two big time contracts are out of the question. I hope we make some cuts and get a little more cap room, but they will add some fringe players not studs. You want to continue to live in cap fantasy land, good luck with all that, I have to be a little more realistic. I am sure you will say Briggs doesnt know what he is talking about and refer to your expert fan on the cap.

Biggs numbers include Omiyale at $2.8mil and Anthony Adams at $2.7mil. I cant' see Omiyale staying around at that salary (or any salary) and really don't see a reason to pay a backup like Adams that much either.

Let's just stick to Oline budgeting.

Omiyale $2.8 mil

Chris Williams $2.5mil

Chris Spencer $4.2mil

Edwin Williams $700k

Lance Louis $1.2mil

Carl Nicks wants at least 7 years $60mil (or in his words a lot more than Jahri Evans got which was 7 yr $56mil) but figure a typical structured deal puts his cap hit this season around $7-8mil. Among Chris Williams, Chris Spencer, and Edwin Williams someone can go. Cut Spencer and with Omiyale gone we have opened up $7mil in cap space. That leaves us with a starting lineup of

Webb, Nicks, Garza, Louis, Carimi

Then what do we do with Chris Williams? Kick him back out to LT? I don't like the idea of Webb protecting Cutler's left side again, he just didn't progress the way you'd like to see during the season. We have to assume Tice is not going to put Chris Williams back at LT since he's the one who moved him inside. I figure he competes with Edwin Williams for a backup role which he should win but then we have no backup C on the roster and I can't see the Bears doing that.

The other scenario is the Bears asking Chris Spencer to sign a longer term deal dropping his cap hit and then trading or cutting Chris Williams. Spencer might not want to go along with that if he wants to start again.

Then you go after a LT in the draft and kick Webb to backup OT.

Our starting lineup could be

Mike Adams, Nicks, Garza, Louis, Carimi with only a few more million of a cap hit than we have today.

This week we'll find out if Mike Adams has good enough feet to play the left side but reports coming out of the Senior Bowl were positive and he seemed to improve as the week went on. In mock drafts he is shooting up the boards and Kiper now has him as our first round pick. Pull this off and we'd have plenty of cap space to go after the FA WRs we want and CB.

Biggs numbers include Omiyale at $2.8mil and Anthony Adams at $2.7mil. I cant' see Omiyale staying around at that salary (or any salary) and really don't see a reason to pay a backup like Adams that much either.

Omiyale $2.8 mil

Chris Williams $2.5mil

Chris Spencer $4.2mil

Edwin Williams $700k

Lance Louis $1.2mil

Carl Nicks wants at least 7 years $60mil (or in his words a lot more than Jahri Evans got which was 7 yr $56mil) but figure a typical structured deal puts his cap hit this season around $7-8mil. Among Chris Williams, Chris Spencer, and Edwin Williams someone can go. Cut Spencer and with Omiyale gone we have opened up $7mil in cap space. That leaves us with a starting lineup of

Then what do we do with Chris Williams? Kick him back out to LT? I don't like the idea of Webb protecting Cutler's left side again, he just didn't progress the way you'd like to see during the season. We have to assume Tice is not going to put Chris Williams back at LT since he's the one who moved him inside. I figure he competes with Edwin Williams for a backup role which he should win but then we have no backup C on the roster and I can't see the Bears doing that.

The other scenario is the Bears asking Chris Spencer to sign a longer term deal dropping his cap hit and then trading or cutting Chris Williams. Spencer might not want to go along with that if he wants to start again.

Mike Adams, Nicks, Garza, Louis, Carimi with only a few more million of a cap hit than we have today.

This week we'll find out if Mike Adams has good enough feet to play the left side but reports coming out of the Senior Bowl were positive and he seemed to improve as the week went on. In mock drafts he is shooting up the boards and Kiper now has him as our first round pick. Pull this off and we'd have plenty of cap space to go after the FA WRs we want and CB.

Brilliant post bro!

Omiyale $2.8 mil

Chris Williams $2.5mil

Chris Spencer $4.2mil

Edwin Williams $700k

Lance Louis $1.2mil

Daddy likes.

Omiyale $2.8 mil

Chris Williams $2.5mil

Chris Spencer $4.2mil

Edwin Williams $700k

Lance Louis $1.2mil

Nice work. Thats something I could get behind!!!

Daddy likes.

He almost lost me with his first lineup that had Webb at LT still. :lol:

However, I don't like the idea of playing Louis ahead of Chris Williams. Williams was the Bears best OL this year up until his injury, and he's a much better all-around OG than Louis is. I like Louis to stay on the roster as a RT back-up as well as a back-up OG, but if they have Nicks, Williams, and Louis, Louis should be the odd man out.

Omiyale $2.8 mil

Chris Williams $2.5mil

Chris Spencer $4.2mil

Edwin Williams $700k

Lance Louis $1.2mil

Great post. I just wonder what they did with the kid who plays center from Oregon. Linnekohl?(SP?)

However, I don't like the idea of playing Louis ahead of Chris Williams. Williams was the Bears best OL this year up until his injury, and he's a much better all-around OG than Louis is. I like Louis to stay on the roster as a RT back-up as well as a back-up OG, but if they have Nicks, Williams, and Louis, Louis should be the odd man out.

I just appreciated the common sense approach that manages the money, without mortgaging the future, to get a better team at minimal change. I'd much rather see Williams get a chance again at LT before seeing Webb play over there, because Williams, regardless of whether or not he played like a first rounder, is a better first rounder than Webb. But since Tice put his reputation on Webb, and we all heard the blocking dummy story when Tice was scouting Webb, he probably feels like he has to keep Webb at LT. Then Williams isn't wasted and there is an upgrade at LT over Webb. But an OL like the following is also a great idea:

Mike Adams, Nicks, Garza, C. Williams, Carimi

I think Louis was ahead of Williams at times and behind him in others at least through the first 5 games. I wish he'd have had a full season at RG so we could better compare, or at least lasted longer before moving to RT but it is what it is. IIRC Louis had more pancake blocks early on but he also had more whiffs.

It's still a bottom line business and if you needed the cap space to add a top FA WR plus a good second tier FA WR (or FA CB) would you take Louis over Williams? I don't think there is that big of a difference between the two OGs and we have to start looking at net gain for the team overall.

Just looked at GBN mock and they had the Bears trading their 19th and 81st pick to the Eagles for the 15th pick to draft Jonathan Martin. I like Martin but don't think he is worth 2 draft picks when Adams will still be on the board.That is the first non-Michael Floyd pick in weeks. I am a no trade fan for this year unless we can fleece somebody.

How much of it is "Tice loves Webb" or is it "Tice wanted to give support to his player as he had no other options".

My guess, if given a chance, Tice would love to upgrade the OL, and OLT would be the first spot to upgrade.

I give Webb credit for playing his ass off, he is a 7th round pick and he, IMO, gave it his "all", but that is just not good enough at this point of his career.

Maybe he would develop over time, but for now he is a viable backup and not a starter.

More tidbits: Good to see Cutler is now healthy!

Bears | Gabe Carimi's status unknown

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:59:45 -0800

Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith said he does not know exactly when OT Gabe Carimi (knee) will be ready for action.

Comment (0) | Share: | Source: ESPNChicago.com - Michael C. Wright and Jeff Dickerson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Johnny Knox making progress

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:36:38 -0800

Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith said WR Johnny Knox (back) is making progress with his back rehab.

Comment (0) | Share: | Source: ESPNChicago.com - Michael C. Wright and Jeff Dickerson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Jay Cutler is healthy

Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:34:47 -0800

Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith said that QB Jay Cutler's (thumb) thumb is fine.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/11/nfl/chicago-bears#ixzz1nDxk22yJ

Spot on Pix. What else is Tice supposed to say?

How much of it is "Tice loves Webb" or is it "Tice wanted to give support to his player as he had no other options".

My guess, if given a chance, Tice would love to upgrade the OL, and OLT would be the first spot to upgrade.

I give Webb credit for playing his ass off, he is a 7th round pick and he, IMO, gave it his "all", but that is just not good enough at this point of his career.

Maybe he would develop over time, but for now he is a viable backup and not a starter.

Exactly.

Tice obviously wants to succeed as OC, and if he does, unfortunately he will probably be gone next year as a HC somewhere.

NO OC wants to have to keep a TE or RB in place to help out a LT who cannot do the job solo.

It limits the offense in the plays it can run, taking a skill player out of the equation.

It tips off the defense and makes it easier for them to "sniff out" what is coming.

Tice had to show support for Webb, no matter what he thought, for what else could he do?

Go to the press & whine about how his LT sucks?

NO OC wants to have to keep a TE or RB in place to help out a LT who cannot do the job solo.

If you watched the Saints during the playoffs (the announcers pointed this out a lot), they have a very solid O line, but their tackles were constantly getting help from a TE or RB. It wasn't a full double team, but on almost every play, the top pass rusher got a chip from a RB or TE. Almost every time. Didn't disrupt the route the guy was running all that much, but was a huge help to the LT by breaking the pass rusher's momentum and screwing up his ability to make the outside move.

Trust me, Mike Tice doesn't like J'Marcus Webb one bit. He's just saying what he has to.

As for that mock, that would be worth it, if a WR is signed in FA. Martin has the potential to be a very good LT with another 10 pounds added, and apparently he came to the combine with 7 more pounds added, which puts him around 311. Obviously, he's already very intelligent being a Stanford student, and he's already a really good run blocker.

Signing Vincent Jackson, keeping Forte, and drafting Martin would make for a GREAT offseason.