RUMOR MILL

GakMan23

Lovie is on the Get a WR train.

The takeaway moment Thursday at the NFL scouting combine came when Smith stepped off the podium and started extolling the virtues of big wide receivers. The question related to stopping Calvin Johnson but, interestingly, Smith expanded his answer to detail how athletic, physical receivers in Johnson's mold "goes along with what teams are doing now.''

Teams other than the Bears, that is.

"A quarterback doesn't have to have that ball right in the perfect spot every time if you have a big body to throw to,'' Smith said. "Most guys would tell you they would like to have big receivers, but as much as anything you would like to have good receivers that can do something with the ball."

Smith might not have spoken to reporters for seven weeks, but it appears he talked — or listened — to Jay Cutler.

If the Chargers allow 6-foot-5 wide receiver Vincent Jackson to enter free agency — reports Thursday indicated they still are considering the franchise tag — somebody will overpay for the 29-year-old difference-maker. As Smith implied in his enthusiastic analysis of big wide receivers, the Bears with roughly $25 million of salary-cap space have as good of a reason as any team.

Give Cutler a weapon like Jackson in an offense that finally won't be designed to turn the quarterback into a crash-test dummy and the Bears understandably believe they can copy the Super Bowl champion Giants.

"You've got to play great defense and run the football, that hasn't changed,'' Smith said. "But at the end you have to also be able to pass the football. It takes all three things.''

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But but but Hester is a #1 WR. What a horrible assessment Lovie and the organization made with that assumption. I truly believe they felt they had the next Steve Smith and that kept us from investing what we should have at the WR position. Hester is Az Hakim (sp?) who was good at filling the big gaps between Tory Holt and Isaac Bruce's routes. Take away those outside WRs (which we never had) and he disappears when coverage tightens up. Add those outside WRs and I think we'll all be happier with Hester at WR.

At least he recognizes it now... Better late than never.

But but but Hester is a #1 WR. What a horrible assessment Lovie and the organization made with that assumption. I truly believe they felt they had the next Steve Smith and that kept us from investing what we should have at the WR position. Hester is Az Hakim (sp?) who was good at filling the big gaps between Tory Holt and Isaac Bruce's routes. Take away those outside WRs (which we never had) and he disappears when coverage tightens up. Add those outside WRs and I think we'll all be happier with Hester at WR.

Just looked at GBN mock and they had the Bears trading their 19th and 81st pick to the Eagles for the 15th pick to draft Jonathan Martin. I like Martin but don't think he is worth 2 draft picks when Adams will still be on the board.That is the first non-Michael Floyd pick in weeks. I am a no trade fan for this year unless we can fleece somebody.

I agree because we have to many needs to fill. There are several sites that actually have Adams rated higher than Martin.

I am now expecting the Bears to sign Royal + another FA (one of the B FA wideouts; maybe Reggie Wayne or Garcon) and draft a Wideout early. If Floyd is off the board and they don't like what is out there, I wouldn't be surprised if they move down and take Jeffrey (later on, or someone like Hill from Georgia Tech) plus a DE.

A lot of talk that the Bears really really like the Illinois Defensive End.

I am now expecting the Bears to sign Royal + another FA (one of the B FA wideouts; maybe Reggie Wayne or Garcon) and draft a Wideout early. If Floyd is off the board and they don't like what is out there, I wouldn't be surprised if they move down and take Jeffrey (later on, or someone like Hill from Georgia Tech) plus a DE.

A lot of talk that the Bears really really like the Illinois Defensive End.

How about Laurent Robinson, I think he could end up being a gem, although not considered a #1.

How about Laurent Robinson, I think he could end up being a gem, although not considered a #1.

I'd be okay with him. Is he an RFA (or UFA)? I think I like Garcon a lot more. Robinson came out of nowhere after being a bit of a bust, but seems like he could be a good risk/reward guy. The big thing is, if you get guys like the above, you need to target a wideout early in the draft.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what the Bears would get if they moved from 19 to say 26 or 28. Not sure if any team is interested in moving up (or even a team with an early 2nd rounder), but it could make sense (if you need a wideout and the top 2 are gone, you should still be okay with the 2nd round pick) and I assume the Bears would be able to get something pretty good to move down that much.