Tribune breaks down Salary Cap

GakMan23

So now it looks like it is $28M. That looks to be a pretty thorough analysis too. Maybe with a few roster moves (e.g., cap casualties) you get to 30M but it didn't look like there was much room in that regard.

I think it is time to put it rest that we have 40plus mil in cap space, but then I guess you could say Briggs is full of shit.

I think it is time to put it rest that we have 40plus mil in cap space, but then I guess you could say Briggs is full of shit.

Why? Because Brad Biggs is the be all end all on Capology? Look, there will be plenty of reports from now until the end of free agency that will bring about all sorts of different numbers. Media reports false numbers all the time and then never take responsibility for it because they just move to different numbers after we spend more than they say. Nobody is saying one guy is right over the other. How the hell do we know? The guy we keep bringing up has had a really good track record for the last decade, so its not something you can just dismiss because you can't come up with any good enough reasons yourself, other than writing "IT AINT TRUE" in really big letters from an anonymous website that you are supposedly getting your information from.

So now it looks like it is $28M. That looks to be a pretty thorough analysis too. Maybe with a few roster moves (e.g., cap casualties) you get to 30M but it didn't look like there was much room in that regard.

Tampa has 67 million, WTF!!!! lol

When does the new rule that teams have to spend a certain percentage of the cap each year come in affect?

Why? Because Brad Biggs is the be all end all on Capology? Look, there will be plenty of reports from now until the end of free agency that will bring about all sorts of different numbers. Media reports false numbers all the time and then never take responsibility for it because they just move to different numbers after we spend more than they say. Nobody is saying one guy is right over the other. How the hell do we know? The guy we keep bringing up has had a really good track record for the last decade, so its not something you can just dismiss because you can't come up with any good enough reasons yourself, other than writing "IT AINT TRUE" in really big letters from an anonymous website that you are supposedly getting your information from.

That secret website is(spotrac.com)all we are doing is relating to other peoples info and forming an opinion. I have read tons of projections and best estimate I can come up is 28 to 30. I wish is would be more, but can't agree with your 46+ projection. We will find out in a month.

That secret website is(spotrac.com)all we are doing is relating to other peoples info and forming an opinion. I have read tons of projections and best estimate I can come up is 28 to 30. I wish is would be more, but can't agree with your 46+ projection. We will find out in a month.

Well it's not my projection. But you seem to be dismissing it just because you want to, not because you have reason too. Notice how many times the number has changed already. That speaks to the level of ambiguity that has taken place among all members of the media; each formulating a different number. To say you know with absolute certainty that it's not 'X amount' is ludicrous.

Well it's not my projection. But you seem to be dismissing it just because you want to, not because you have reason too. Notice how many times the number has changed already. That speaks to the level of ambiguity that has taken place among all members of the media; each formulating a different number. To say you know with absolute certainty that it's not 'X amount' is ludicrous.

I am dismissing it because I think its to high. I actually don't think anybody' knows the exact amount. It is a mute point we will find out in a month. If your right , I will praise u and be glad I was wrong, for the bears sake.if not then I will be lipping off again.

I am dismissing it because I think its to high.

Case in point. But you did say it wasn't true, which is different than actually thinking it.

If your right , I will praise u and be glad I was wrong, for the bears sake.if not then I will be lipping off again.

Again, you don't seem to comprehend that I'm not 'saying' anything. I'm not betting on one way or the other; just pointing out that there is a legitimate case to be made for a man that's had a good history of getting it right.

Case in point. But you did say it wasn't true, which is different than actually thinking it.

Again, you don't seem to comprehend that I'm not 'saying' anything. I'm not betting on one way or the other; just pointing out that there is a legitimate case to be made for a man that's had a good history of getting it right.

I know it wasnt your prediction, I am not sure you have any original thoughts, but you sure did jump on the bandwagon. I dont think its true. I said it wasnt ture because I dont think it is. A statement is an extension of a thought. I have no idea where your coming from with that statement. So because I dont agree with someone, how is it i dont comprehend what your saying? It is quite simple, I think your genius is wrong. Why is that a problem for you? For you to carry his torch, I might be able to say, that you believe it true.

I know it wasnt your prediction, I am not sure you have any original thoughts, but you sure did jump on the bandwagon.

Nah, I just don't like it when people say something isn't true, but then fail to give a legitimate reason why.

I dont think its true. I said it wasnt ture because I dont think it is.

Eh.. You sure seemed like you were pretty sure when you said "because it bugs me that people get on here and say we have 40 mill available.IT AINT TRUE." The all caps kind of gave it away.

So because I dont agree with someone, how is it i dont comprehend what your saying?

You're insisting that I have taken a side, that one person is right over the other, when that's simply not the case, as I've mentioned for the 3rd time now. If you're going to write something off, atleast do it when there's an idiot that comes up with a number without citing any of his information.

It is quite simple, I think your genius is wrong. Why is that a problem for you?

I have no idea what this line is even about. Or where It came from.

For you to carry his torch, I might be able to say, that you believe it true.

Yeah now you're just pulling shit out of your ass.

Ahh you might want to try again.. Or perhaps re-read the thread.

So I guess what I can understand here, is you dont think that figure is true, and the fact I have read several projections to the contrary of the 46+ cap space, that that is not a good enough of a reason to disagree with the genius. I am sure when the true figure comes out, we wont hear a word from you. I have it figured out now, you just like to argue with no apparent point.

So I guess what I can understand here, is you dont think that figure is true, and the fact I have read several projections to the contrary of the 46+ cap space, that that is not a good enough of a reason to disagree with the genius. I am sure when the true figure comes out, we wont hear a word from you. I have it figured out now, you just like to argue with no apparent point.

I think the issue was that the 16-20M figure inintially thrown out around the media wasn't correct either. Now it turns out we are looking more at 28M or so and that figure includes a couple guys that the Bears could cut. Which basically puts the 46M figure as off (and the $20M figure off) by almost the same amount (since the $46M figure I believe was assuming the Bears would cut a couple of guys).

That said, as the person who posted the $46M cap number from another site, at the time, it was by far the most complete source on what the cap was vs. anywhere. Additionally, the media (on other teams) has had some significant misses. For example, in the past week the Saints cap space has jumped by about $10M. Basically put, the media doesn't have as much great info as some of you think when it comes to understanding the cap and all of the space and franchises aren't necessarily going to flat out say what type of space they have (and the Bears have been completely silent since Emery took over).

The only way you get there is by analyzing what was reported and what is available and having an understanding of the cap and everything. I'm not going to spend the time to do it but I'm glad someone on that site did and they have done so for years and been very accurate, much as LT (on this very site) is one of the best and knowledgeable posters when it comes to knowing the Bears cap.

I think the issue was that the 16-20M figure inintially thrown out around the media wasn't correct either. Now it turns out we are looking more at 28M or so and that figure includes a couple guys that the Bears could cut. Which basically puts the 46M figure as off (and the $20M figure off) by almost the same amount (since the $46M figure I believe was assuming the Bears would cut a couple of guys).

That said, as the person who posted the $46M cap number from another site, at the time, it was by far the most complete source on what the cap was vs. anywhere. Additionally, the media (on other teams) has had some significant misses. For example, in the past week the Saints cap space has jumped by about $10M. Basically put, the media doesn't have as much great info as some of you think when it comes to understanding the cap and all of the space and franchises aren't necessarily going to flat out say what type of space they have (and the Bears have been completely silent since Emery took over).

The only way you get there is by analyzing what was reported and what is available and having an understanding of the cap and everything. I'm not going to spend the time to do it but I'm glad someone on that site did and they have done so for years and been very accurate, much as LT (on this very site) is one of the best and knowledgeable posters when it comes to knowing the Bears cap.

A lot of these reports are coming from sources that don't have full access to the salary cap dynamics. Example if the source from the Bears was Cliff Stein I would not dispute those numbers but it is common practice at Halas Hall to give as little info about anything as possible.

I must chip in with a comment, LT2 is kick-ass when it comes to cap analysis and has always had great success in his projections. For many years he posted on our site here (and the previous versions as well) with well defined information in a spreadsheet format that could not be disputed. I will be interested to see if he is still as accurate as he has been in the past. I miss his input to these forums and would welcome him back in a heartbeat.

I've been waiting for him to chime in...

I must chip in with a comment, LT2 is kick-ass when it comes to cap analysis and has always had great success in his projections. For many years he posted on our site here (and the previous versions as well) with well defined information in a spreadsheet format that could not be disputed. I will be interested to see if he is still as accurate as he has been in the past. I miss his input to these forums and would welcome him back in a heartbeat.

I would be interested as well.

The feeling I get is that you don't really understand a word of what I've said throughout this entire conversation. It's really not that complicated so I'm not going to waste time re-explaining what should be a pretty simple concept to understand. But In summation,

1- I have no idea either way, whether the number is 7 mill, 20 mill, 28 mill, or 40 mill. You have already said you know for a fact it's not 40 mil. Why or how you have that Knowledge, is beyond me.

2- You're backed into a corner with nothing of substance to offer in your posts so you start grandstanding to hide behind your lack of ability to formulate a coherent and understandable opinion.

3- I'll repeat point 1 because as many times as I've repeated it already (5 times now) I guess people still need me to keep emphasizing it every other line so you don't forget. I don't know and frankly don't really care what the number is. There has been multiple reports out there, each with a different number. If it ends up being 20 mill, awesome. If it ends up 28 mill, awesome. If it ends up being 40 mill, awesome. You can't really attempt to insult me by saying "We wont hear from you when the true figure comes out" as if I have been like you and took a stand as to what the number is.

Finally, let me ask you a question. And this goes out to anybody.. How do you know that the number isn't going to be 40 million? Because it amazes me how some people can have such a concrete unwavering opinion on exactly what it is.. especially without really saying anything. Oh, and don't answer it with "Because I think it is..". I want a clear, well thought out response to the question. Give me evidence against why it's not going to be 40 mill. I want reasons why this guy is wrong. I want you to dig in and give me exact reasons. If you're going to dismiss it entirely, you have to atleast know why you are writing it off.

*Disclaimer statement* He may very well be wrong.. But nobody has given a real reason why yet. And one more time for good measure, I am not arguing for or against the idea of any number. Your original claim was that it IS NOT true and it bothers me when you would say that without a basis to back up your claim.

I've been hoping to see his input on the matter. Hell, I don't honestly trust anyone's numbers except his. So all the back and forth has been pointless to me since I haven't seen the LT2 numbers.

The feeling I get is that you don't really understand a word of what I've said throughout this entire conversation. It's really not that complicated so I'm not going to waste time re-explaining what should be a pretty simple concept to understand. In summation,

1- I have no idea either way, whether the number is 7 mill, 20 mill, 28 mill, or 40 mill. You have already said you know for a fact it's not 40 mil. Why or how you have that Knowledge, is beyond me.

2- You're backed into a corner with nothing of substance to offer in your posts so you start grandstanding to hide behind your lack of ability to formulate a coherent and understandable opinion.

3- I'll repeat point 1 because as many times as I've repeated it already (5 times now) I guess people still need me to keep emphasizing it every other line so you don't forget. I don't know and frankly don't really care what the number is. There has been multiple reports out there, each with a different number. If it ends up being 20 mill, awesome. If it ends up 28 mill, awesome. If it ends up being 40 mill, awesome. You can't really attempt to insult me by saying "We wont hear from you when the true figure comes out" as if I have been like you and took a stand as to what the number is.

Finally, let me ask you a question. And this goes out to anybody.. How do you know that the number isn't going to be 40 million? Because it amazes me how some people can have such a concrete unwavering opinion on exactly what it is.. especially without really saying anything. Oh, and don't answer it with "Because I think it is..". I want a clear, well thought out response to the question. Give me evidence against why it's not going to be 40 mill. I want reasons why this guy is wrong. I want you to dig in and give me exact reasons. If you're going to dismiss it entirely, you have to atleast know why you are writing it off.

*Disclaimer statement* He may very well be wrong.. But nobody has given a real reason why yet.

I'm FAR from a cap guy, but the $40 mil number seems to be semi-possible on simple math alone. I'm sure there are a ton of clauses and loopholes in the argument I'm about to make - since I don't really care to understand all the nuances of the cap - but here's a rudimentary view.

--120 Cap Ceiling

--108 Cap Floor

--91.3 Cap Hit for 2012

--120-91.3 = 28.7

--2011's cap number was 104.9, which leaves 15.1 as potential rollover money (again, I realize there may be flaws)

--28.7+15.1=43.8

I don't see the 40 million view as completely unrealistic since there are countless ways to wiggle millions here and there with contracts manipulation, player movement, and various other tricks of the trade.