FREE AGENCY, the DRAFT and EMERY

Lucky Luciano

what to do this offseason and what is available...

#1 priority should be a LT to keep our franchise player off of IR. what are the options?

1. convert chris williams back to his projected position as left tackle unless tice won't budge on his quality evaluation of williams at that position. if that's the case we have another angelo bust.

2. it's always a thin market for good, young, FA left tackles. the only options i have seen both come from san diego and both have questions in regards to health issues. as i have not watched many charger games i am basing this call mainly on what i have read and not seen so take that with a grain of salt.

A) marcus mcneill: a huge improvement over webb but has had some serious injury concerns with his neck. at 28 years old he would anchor our offensive line for the next 5+ years. if he passes a physical it could be a great FA pickup for emery but somewhat of a gamble (one i personally would make if he passes the physical). on the plus side we have webb who 'could' fill in TEMPORARILY for mcneill.

B) jared gaither: a 25-6 year old mountain sized guy at 6' 9" and 350 pounds. a waiver wire pickup in 2011 by the chargers who filled in pretty well for the injured mcneill. has 3 years experience at LT, two with the ravens, and again should be a big improvement over webb. if he continues to get better we could hit the jackpot and he should be a good+ LT for 7 or more years.

he has had back and neck injury problems so that becomes a serious issue again for emery to make a decision on. with the health concerns and limited experience, gaither should not call for a break-the-bank payday which helps us in the hunt for a WR in free agency. using the same scenario as above, webb could be a TEMP backup if needed.

some interesting notes:

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2011/7/11...n-jared-gaither

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/698525-...offense-in-2011

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/jared-gaither

3. the draft: as i don't watch much college ball anymore since they and the nfl have tried to squeeze the last drops of blood out it's fans, i can't say if there is a true quality player in our range at LT or not. if there is or if we could give up both thirds to move up for that special LT player i would do it in a heartbeat with our first pick if we don't get the young high quality FA's at that position.

#2 priority should be to get a quality #1 wide receiver in free agency. with the amount of quality FA's this is where emery should put his emphasis. if for some obscure reason a #1 WR can't be found in free agency then draft one in the first round ONLY if...

A) a left tackle hasn't been obtained in FA and one of QUALITY is unavailable to us in the first round. or...

B) a high quality cover CB is not there for us in round 1.

#3 priority should be a #1 cover CB

free agency: we let a very good one get away last season and one of that quality is not available this year to my knowledge. there is a couple who MIGHT still fill the bill. brandon carr of the chiefs, ladarius webb from the ravens (RFA), cortland finnegan of the titans. although i have watched a few games by these guys i never focused on them and thus am not sure of their quality or type of player. if they are a true cover type corner and do it well i am very interested.

the draft: if none of the above work out then i am looking for a cover corner in round 1 if LT is not an option.

#4 priority should be offensive line which specifically includes guards and centers.

free agency: nicks the G from the saints would be a top notch pickup and make us better nearly everywhere on the line. even if we got one of the LT free agents listed above at a reasonable price we should be able to afford him along with it.

my next in line would be scott wells the packers center. even at 31 he would be a big upgrade over garza who we could throw back to guard to compete for a job at that position making us stronger with more depth on the line. this would give us time to draft some good players to replace wells and garza in the near future. a great stop gap move not to mention if hurts the packers.

another G possibility if reasonably priced would be grubbs from the ravens.

the draft: with no quality LT's or CB's at our pick (and a #1 free agent WR covered) i would draft a killer guard in the first round (maybe even possibly an exceptional center). if not an all world first round center then look at a center in round 3.

so if i were emery this is my draft (all dependent of what we did in free agency) if the quality was there...

round 1: LT, CB, WR, G or C.

round 2: LT (only if high quality potential), CB (high quality cover corner), #1 WR, G, OLB, FS

round 3-1: G, #2 WR, C, FS, OLB, DE, DT

round 3-2: G, C, OLB, SS, DT

EDIT: what i would do in free agency

1. get one of the LT's if they pass the physical. if not try to draft a high quality LT in round 1 or 2.

2. get a #1 WR. I can't imagine this not happening but if not then draft a #1 WR in round 1 or 2.

3. if no FA LT and you can any possible way afford a FA #1 WR and nicks, get him!!

4. if no nicks at G, get one of the FA corners along with a #1 WR

5. if no nicks or CB get wells from the packers with a #1 WR

Tice seems to love Chris Williams at LG. He loves his size and his ability to move for a big-man. Now that Tice is the OC, why would we move him?

As for Chris being a bust, if he can devlop into a very good guard, I can't call him a bust.

what to do this offseason and what is available...

#1 priority should be a LT to keep our franchise player off of IR. what are the options?

1. convert chris williams back to his projected position as left tackle unless tice won't budge on his quality evaluation of williams at that position. if that's the case we have another angelo bust.

2. it's always a thin market for good, young, FA left tackles. the only options i have seen both come from san diego and both have questions in regards to health issues. as i have not watched many charger games i am basing this call mainly on what i have read and not seen so take that with a grain of salt.

A) marcus mcneill: a huge improvement over webb but has had some serious injury concerns with his neck. at 28 years old he would anchor our offensive line for the next 5+ years. if he passes a physical it could be a great FA pickup for emery but somewhat of a gamble (one i personally would make if he passes the physical). on the plus side we have webb who 'could' fill in TEMPORARILY for mcneill.

B) jared gaither: a 25-6 year old mountain sized guy at 6' 9" and 350 pounds. a waiver wire pickup in 2011 by the chargers who filled in pretty well for the injured mcneill. has 3 years experience at LT, two with the ravens, and again should be a big improvement over webb. if he continues to get better we could hit the jackpot and he should be a good+ LT for 7 or more years.

he has had back and neck injury problems so that becomes a serious issue again for emery to make a decision on. with the health concerns and limited experience, gaither should not call for a break-the-bank payday which helps us in the hunt for a WR in free agency. using the same scenario as above, webb could be a TEMP backup if needed.

some interesting notes:

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2011/7/11...n-jared-gaither

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/698525-...offense-in-2011

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/jared-gaither

3. the draft: as i don't watch much college ball anymore since they and the nfl have tried to squeeze the last drops of blood out it's fans, i can't say if there is a true quality player in our range at LT or not. if there is or if we could give up both thirds to move up for that special LT player i would do it in a heartbeat with our first pick if we don't get the young high quality FA's at that position.

#2 priority should be to get a quality #1 wide receiver in free agency. with the amount of quality FA's this is where emery should put his emphasis. if for some obscure reason a #1 WR can't be found in free agency then draft one in the first round ONLY if...

A) a left tackle hasn't been obtained in FA and one of QUALITY is unavailable to us in the first round. or...

B) a high quality cover CB is not there for us in round 1.

#3 priority should be a #1 cover CB

free agency: we let a very good one get away last season and one of that quality is not available this year to my knowledge. there is a couple who MIGHT still fill the bill. brandon carr of the chiefs, ladarius webb from the ravens (RFA), cortland finnegan of the titans. although i have watched a few games by these guys i never focused on them and thus am not sure of their quality or type of player. if they are a true cover type corner and do it well i am very interested.

the draft: if none of the above work out then i am looking for a cover corner in round 1 if LT is not an option.

#4 priority should be offensive line which specifically includes guards and centers.

free agency: nicks the G from the saints would be a top notch pickup and make us better nearly everywhere on the line. even if we got one of the LT free agents listed above at a reasonable price we should be able to afford him along with it.

my next in line would be scott wells the packers center. even at 31 he would be a big upgrade over garza who we could throw back to guard to compete for a job at that position making us stronger with more depth on the line. this would give us time to draft some good players to replace wells and garza in the near future. a great stop gap move not to mention if hurts the packers.

another G possibility if reasonably priced would be grubbs from the ravens.

the draft: with no quality LT's or CB's at our pick (and a #1 free agent WR covered) i would draft a killer guard in the first round (maybe even possibly an exceptional center). if not an all world first round center then look at a center in round 3.

so if i were emery this is my draft (all dependent of what we did in free agency) if the quality was there...

round 1: LT, CB, WR, G or C.

round 2: LT (only if high quality potential), CB (high quality cover corner), #1 WR, G, OLB, FS

round 3-1: G, #2 WR, C, FS, OLB, DE, DT

round 3-2: G, C, OLB, SS, DT

EDIT: what i would do in free agency

1. get one of the LT's if they pass the physical. if not try to draft a high quality LT in round 1 or 2.

2. get a #1 WR. I can't imagine this not happening but if not then draft a #1 WR in round 1 or 2.

3. if no FA LT and you can any possible way afford a FA #1 WR and nicks, get him!!

4. if no nicks at G, get one of the FA corners along with a #1 WR

5. if no nicks or CB get wells from the packers with a #1 WR

As if I posted the entire thing. Great post.

1. LT

2. WR

3. CB

Since LT in FA is not likely, and there are plenty of FA WRs available, it makes most sense to pick up a WR before the draft then get a LT in the first round.

It is hard sometimes to agree with you with but you are dead on with your needs. LT is just to important to take chances on Webb, that he might turn out to be good. He aint now and Cutler will only be taking so many hits before it affects his play.