Chiefs to tag Bowe

adam

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7615420/...ides-reach-deal

Looks like Bowe is out of the picture.

I think Bowe will get the tag as well as S. Johnson. That leaves Coslton and Jackson. Somebody will pay Jackson big money which probably leaves us out of the picture. So I think we should go after Coslton. Others going after WRs will be Minn, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Jets, and I think SD will try to replace Jackson. If we cant first day land Colston, need to hit up Wayne, Laurent Robinson from Dallas. Since Johnson will get the tag, go after Bell/LT from Buff. Then with our first pick grab Floyd. Second round take Minnifield/CB. Third round a/ Zeitler/OG. b/Branch/DE. #5 Loiseau/ILB. Also in FAgency we need to get a backup QB.

PFT reported yesterday San Diego is willing to pay Vincent Jackson 10 million per season but he's wanting 12 million + per season. Is he worth that much? I'm just asking. Dan Pompei wrote a nice article in the Tribune about how you have to be careful not to overpay for a wide-out. He didn't even mention Bernard Berrian.

Now that Martz is gone, it'd be nice to have a TE to utilize as an offensive weapon.

If Steve Johnson acts like a jackass on the field before getting paid, what will he do after the fact?

I think Bowe will get the tag as well as S. Johnson. That leaves Coslton and Jackson. Somebody will pay Jackson big money which probably leaves us out of the picture. So I think we should go after Coslton. Others going after WRs will be Minn, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Jets, and I think SD will try to replace Jackson. If we cant first day land Colston, need to hit up Wayne, Laurent Robinson from Dallas. Since Johnson will get the tag, go after Bell/LT from Buff. Then with our first pick grab Floyd. Second round take Minnifield/CB. Third round a/ Zeitler/OG. b/Branch/DE. #5 Loiseau/ILB. Also in FAgency we need to get a backup QB.

PFT reported yesterday San Diego is willing to pay Vincent Jackson 10 million per season but he's wanting 12 million + per season. Is he worth that much? I'm just asking. Dan Pompei wrote a nice article in the Tribune about how you have to be careful not to overpay for a wide-out. He didn't even mention Bernard Berrian.

Now that Martz is gone, it'd be nice to have a TE to utilize as an offensive weapon.

If Steve Johnson acts like a jackass on the field before getting paid, what will he do after the fact?

To the Chicago Bears, yes, Vincent Jackson is worth $12.

To the Chicago Bears, yes, Vincent Jackson is worth $12.

The problem is, he's a very good WR, but not a great WR. 3 of the last 4 years he's put up 1000+ yards, but it's not like we're talking about Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald. V-Jack is not elite, but we'd have to pay him elite money.

Not to mention he's had the benefit of playing with Antonio Gates and he turns 30 this November.

I agree he's worth that much to us, but only because we're desperate to get Cutler help. It's a risky proposition.

The problem is, he's a very good WR, but not a great WR. 3 of the last 4 years he's put up 1000+ yards, but it's not like we're talking about Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald. V-Jack is not elite, but we'd have to pay him elite money.

Not to mention he's had the benefit of playing with Antonio Gates and he turns 30 this November.

I agree he's worth that much to us, but only because we're desperate to get Cutler help. It's a risky proposition.

He is not in that group, but definitly falls in the next group of 5. The problem is none of the great ones will ever hit the market, so is the best available player.

Seems to me Ruben Randle should be on our short list of WR in the draft. He ran well and has posted solid numbers at LSU. His college QB wasn't that good either.

Randle is one of the many guys that looks like he has some upside. I'd have no problem moving down a bit and nabbing a wideout with 2 of our top 3 picks (plus signing one). Yes, the Bears need that much help at wideout. Put a DE in the other spot and sign a FA guard and corner. Maybe even a safety too (or a LT).

Randle is one of the many guys that looks like he has some upside. I'd have no problem moving down a bit and nabbing a wideout with 2 of our top 3 picks (plus signing one). Yes, the Bears need that much help at wideout. Put a DE in the other spot and sign a FA guard and corner. Maybe even a safety too (or a LT).

We have so many needs, taking a reach at the 19th spot would be so wrong. They have to take the best player available there, and hope it is a LT or WR, other wise I can see up going DE in that spot because the coach still has his hands in the mix.

We have so many needs, taking a reach at the 19th spot would be so wrong. They have to take the best player available there, and hope it is a LT or WR, other wise I can see up going DE in that spot because the coach still has his hands in the mix.

Which is why I think it could be possible the Bears move down (if the top wideouts are gone and the next set is a bit lower).

According to the below referenced link the case is made that a combination of a Reggie Wayne and Mario Mannigham pcikup with a high First Rounder at WR makes the best sense for the Bears. I would go a bit further and say that Vincent Jackson instead of one of the two other veterans makes sense too, his negative being his money wants.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1064362...n=chicago-bears

Reggie Wayne is too old for me. If were going to go with someone past his prime I'd rather have Randy Moss. I'd go after a Vincent Jackson or Marcus Colston and then take a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. If a guy like Michael Floyd isn't available, Stephen Hill and Kendall Wright are two guys that I've taken a liking to. Hill's got great character and very well articulated from what I've seen in some of his interviews. He caught every ball when he was going through the gauntlet and his 4.3 speed is pretty scary for a man that's 6'4. Only question with him is can he become a focal point in an offense? He didn't get many attempts at Georgia Tech with their option offense but he averaged 29 yards/catch.

Reggie Wayne is too old for me. If were going to go with someone past his prime I'd rather have Randy Moss. I'd go after a Vincent Jackson or Marcus Colston and then take a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. If a guy like Michael Floyd isn't available, Stephen Hill and Kendall Wright are two guys that I've taken a liking to. Hill's got great character and very well articulated from what I've seen in some of his interviews. He caught every ball when he was going through the gauntlet and his 4.3 speed is pretty scary for a man that's 6'4. Only question with him is can he become a focal point in an offense? He didn't get many attempts at Georgia Tech with their option offense but he averaged 29 yards/catch.

If we cant get Colston or Jackson(too much money) go after Lurent Robinson, E. Royal and then draft one in one of the first two rounds.

Agreed, Hill and Wright both need to be on our list. The question on Hill is can he be a #1 WR but even if he ends up a #2 WR that's better than where we are today.

Regarding Wright, I don't want another shorter WR but if we add a big target in FA (becoming harder to do) then he'd be a solid addition. We can't ignore his playmaking ability and the fact he ran slow at the combine doesn't correlate to what I've seen and heard about him on the field. He will likely run faster at his pro day.

The way things are shaping up now at WR I agree with DBDB that a trade down in Rd 1 is the right thing to do unless someone like Jonathan Martin is sitting there. There are a lot of WRs stacking up in the second half of the first round to early second round. IMO Cutler has already proven he can tear up a defense with a below average WR corps. That's even without a good Oline blocking for him. Just give him time to set his feet and read a defense and we'd be hard to stop with a solid group of #2/3 WRs. NE has had lots of success with that plan for years.

Agreed, Hill and Wright both need to be on our list. The question on Hill is can he be a #1 WR but even if he ends up a #2 WR that's better than where we are today.

Regarding Wright, I don't want another shorter WR but if we add a big target in FA (becoming harder to do) then he'd be a solid addition. We can't ignore his playmaking ability and the fact he ran slow at the combine doesn't correlate to what I've seen and heard about him on the field. He will likely run faster at his pro day.

The way things are shaping up now at WR I agree with DBDB that a trade down in Rd 1 is the right thing to do unless someone like Jonathan Martin is sitting there. There are a lot of WRs stacking up in the second half of the first round to early second round. IMO Cutler has already proven he can tear up a defense with a below average WR corps. That's even without a good Oline blocking for him. Just give him time to set his feet and read a defense and we'd be hard to stop with a solid group of #2/3 WRs. NE has had lots of success with that plan for years.

Forget the trading down, grab the best player available at that spot. If we have a new draft guru, we should be able to find a blue chipper at 19. With so many needs we need an impact player, if we trade down, less chance of that happening. I hope it a LT or WR, but we cant draft for need, thats how teams get in trouble with so so picks.

According to the below referenced link the case is made that a combination of a Reggie Wayne and Mario Mannigham pcikup with a high First Rounder at WR makes the best sense for the Bears. I would go a bit further and say that Vincent Jackson instead of one of the two other veterans makes sense too, his negative being his money wants.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1064362...n=chicago-bears

I dislike that slideshow for two reasons. First, it's a slideshow inserted specifically for hits. Second, for the reason you've stated: they kept saying the Bears needed three new WRs (two FAs and one high draft pick) to be Super Bowl contenders. This is obviously false because they were damn near contenders this past year until Cutler and Forte went down. This "WR or bust"-mentality is flawed for many reasons. Balancing the OL and WR needs is a better recipe for success, and anyone who thinks otherwise simply didn't watch the Bears last year.

I dislike that slideshow for two reasons. First, it's a slideshow inserted specifically for hits. Second, for the reason you've stated: they kept saying the Bears needed three new WRs (two FAs and one high draft pick) to be Super Bowl contenders. This is obviously false because they were damn near contenders this past year until Cutler and Forte went down. This "WR or bust"-mentality is flawed for many reasons. Balancing the OL and WR needs is a better recipe for success, and anyone who thinks otherwise simply didn't watch the Bears last year.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda, we finished bad, we weren't close. We need to upgrade in a big way at Wr, we would have got killed in the playoffs.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda, we finished bad, we weren't close. We need to upgrade in a big way at Wr, we would have got killed in the playoffs.

Not really. The Bears were, in fact, close until Cutler and Forte went down. If they are going to be back (hint: they are), and the same team is put on the field next year, they would once again have a good chance to get into the playoffs. So they're not that far away from contention. And that's what the article is talking about. A full team, the actual starters, for the year. OF course they're not talking about a team with the 3rd string QB playing significant time. I agree with you, however, that they would have been killed in the playoffs. But since they would have gotten there, it means they weren't three WRs away. Upgrade the position? Sure. Overhaul it with three new guys? IDK about that. It's certainly not obligatory.

Not really. The Bears were, in fact, close until Cutler and Forte went down. If they are going to be back (hint: they are), and the same team is put on the field next year, they would once again have a good chance to get into the playoffs. So they're not that far away from contention. And that's what the article is talking about. A full team, the actual starters, for the year. OF course they're not talking about a team with the 3rd string QB playing significant time. I agree with you, however, that they would have been killed in the playoffs. But since they would have gotten there, it means they weren't three WRs away. Upgrade the position? Sure. Overhaul it with three new guys? IDK about that. It's certainly not obligatory.

The real issue in terms of how many new WR do the Bears need is health. If the Bears were looking at having Knox back that's one thing, but with him likely being gone, it creates a real need for 2 people at the WR slot...And then, Bennett has this habit of not being healthy either, which makes room for even more additions there.

The guy will not view Hester as a play every down Wr, won't count on Knox with his injury. Hope Williams ain't back. So count Bennett, and Sauzy. So I think we need 3. Colston, Royal, and draft pick.

I think Royal should be included in any free agency scenario, just as a Cutler present. He'll come cheap and has experience on special teams, in case Hester was to go down at any point. I like Colston but the one thing I worry about with him is how much of a product of the system was he? He was a 7th round draft pick that came into the perfect situation where he got to play all of his home games in a dome and an offense that was very pass friendly.

Vincent Jackson scares me a little bit as well. He's 29 and has an injury history as well as a history of not trying, or being lazy. Personally, my plan would be to take a possession guy in Colston and develop a young speedy receiver in the draft to be your future #1. I'd make Floyd an exception if he somehow fell to us but otherwise Stephen Hill and Kendall Wright are the two guys I'd have as my backup plans going in to this years draft. Hill's status is tricky because he's probably not good enough to be picked at 19 but will he be there by the time the Bears second round pick comes up?