Grubbs?

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Well, this would appear a bit more likely. I hadn't saw this (but maybe it was posted a month ago), but the SunTimes was reporting back in January that the Bears are going to consider giving Williams another shot at LT.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4722/chris-williams

If our fix at LT is Webb and Williams fighting it out, we have a problem.

There was a report today that the Saints are still far apart on getting Brees to sign a long term contract. They will place the franchise tag on him if no deal can be reached by Monday. Could mean Carl Nicks gets thrown into the mix here unless the Saints are ready to fork over a fortune for their All-Pro guard.

Be wants 5year 60 mill., we won't be buying.

I would tend to agree. We really don't know Emery's MO at this point...but given Smith's input ("raft defensive players please") and the glaring need at WR... I don't see OL being addressed to this extent in FA. I could see a lesser player for less money, but not the numbers you are mentioning.

Be wants 5year 60 mill., we won't be buying.

If our fix at LT is Webb and Williams fighting it out, we have a problem.

Agreed, but it's a helluva lot better problem than just giving that Jamarcus "Weekend at Bernies" Webb the starting gig. With Williams on the edge, we will have a guy who has better tools, better feet, better hands, and, frankly, a better pedigree than Webb protecting Cutler's blindside. He wouldn't be the best in the NFL, but he'd be far better than Webb and certainly not the worst in the NFL. And since it's unlikely that a LT drops to the Bears in the first, this frees up more possibilities for FA OGs (Grubbs, Nicks), drafted OGs (DeCastro, Glenn), and drafted Cs (Konz), which in turn allows for more flexibility on the OL.

Look on the bright side (for you and several others), this could mean the Bears are not at all interested in LT in the first round and almost certainly will focus on WR. Naaah...who am I kidding, we all know Lovie is going D in the first round.

Agreed, but it's a helluva lot better problem than just giving that Jamarcus "Weekend at Bernies" Webb the starting gig. With Williams on the edge, we will have a guy who has better tools, better feet, better hands, and, frankly, a better pedigree than Webb protecting Cutler's blindside. He wouldn't be the best in the NFL, but he'd be far better than Webb and certainly not the worst in the NFL. And since it's unlikely that a LT drops to the Bears in the first, this frees up more possibilities for FA OGs (Grubbs, Nicks), drafted OGs (DeCastro, Glenn), and drafted Cs (Konz), which in turn allows for more flexibility on the OL.

Look on the bright side (for you and several others), this could mean the Bears are not at all interested in LT in the first round and almost certainly will focus on WR. Naaah...who am I kidding, we all know Lovie is going D in the first round.

there is a reason they put a #14 draft pick at guard. Would he be better than Webb, of course, but going from the 32 rated LT up to 28 isnt much of a jump. I am all for adding any OL that improves us but think we have a chance to get a good LT at 19.

there is a reason they put a #14 draft pick at guard. Would he be better than Webb, of course, but going from the 32 rated LT up to 28 isnt much of a jump. I am all for adding any OL that improves us but think we have a chance to get a good LT at 19.

I agree. We have a good chance of getting a guy at 19. But if we don't get him, I'm fine with Webb getting the axe and Williams moving into the LT starting role. And to be honest, I'm not so sure he's be 28th. He could be much better if he is actually given a chance to succeed and not yanked elsewhere because there are just too many holes to plug.

I agree. We have a good chance of getting a guy at 19. But if we don't get him, I'm fine with Webb getting the axe and Williams moving into the LT starting role. And to be honest, I'm not so sure he's be 28th. He could be much better if he is actually given a chance to succeed and not yanked elsewhere because there are just too many holes to plug.

Agreed. Williams was regarded as a great pick by all the draft experts. He has the tools, lets see if he can use them. Unless of course, it has already been determined by the coaches that he can't play...

Agreed. Williams was regarded as a great pick by all the draft experts. He has the tools, lets see if he can use them. Unless of course, it has already been determined by the coaches that he can't play...

dont you think being our trouble with the LT spot, if he was the best player for that spot, he would have already been there. How many chances are we going to give him to prove himself? If we lay it in his lap and he fails , then what? Lets let Webb try again. We need another option and let them sort it out.

dont you think being our trouble with the LT spot, if he was the best player for that spot, he would have already been there. How many chances are we going to give him to prove himself? If we lay it in his lap and he fails , then what? Lets let Webb try again. We need another option and let them sort it out.

Don't get me wrong, I want more talent brought in. I wish I knew what the deal is with Williams. I simply don't have faith in Webb. Also, IMO, Williams has not had the opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I want more talent brought in. I wish I knew what the deal is with Williams. I simply don't have faith in Webb. Also, IMO, Williams has not had the opportunity.

How about drafting Glenn /OL that can play both og or LT . I read he is an impact player, and give us another option.

I'd like to think that, but since Lovie and crew have been very bad talent evaluators, I can't hang my hat on it.

I think it's just as likely that the coaches realized a shit-storm was upon them, and moved a guy with flexibility. What were the choices?

Webb - OT only

Williams - OG or OT

Omiyale - Neither

If it's Webb-Williams-CGT, you maximize your product.

If it's Williams-?-CGT, you put yet another risk on the field.

If it's Omiyale-Williams-CGT, you put Cutler in a back-brace.

In the end, Webb is - I can't believe I'm about to give him a compliment - better than someone: Omiyale. Since he can apparently only play one position, it made more sense logistically to maximize "talent" and "potential." Of course, I've wanted them to move Williams back out for a while, then slide Garza back over to his familiar OG position, and put Spencer in at C where he was originally intended to be and what he was signed to do.

Williams - Garza - Spencer - Louis - Carimi

sounds a lot better than either...

A. Webb - Williams - Garza - Louis - Carimi

B. Webb - Williams - Garza - Spencer - Louis

Lets face the facts. Drafting a first round RT seems to be a mistake now in hindsight since the idea was to swing Webb over to LT where his "skill set" was better suited.That was a complete miscalculation to believe a guy you drafted in the 7th rd that played against lesser competition, could go from project at RT to protecting the franchise QB's blindside without a full TC or any OTAs to learn the position.This is where the problem will be.Our viewpoint is that you have seen enough of a body of work to determine that Webb is a RT. They may feel that with a full offseason calender he will improve(I say that is a little optomistic). So I'm trying to focus on the top rated defensive prospects that may drop to the Bears at the 19th pick. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears took a Nick Perry,Dre Kirkpatrick or Fletcher Cox with the reported release of Anthony Adams. IMO if Floyd is there I take him because his 40 time was run at his playing weight and that's what I like. I also like the idea of taking a project guy like Stephen Hill of Ga Tech in rd 3 who has the size and speed you want as well,he is just lacking in the body of work on film. Coming from the offense he played in I'm sure blocking isn't an issue.

Lets face the facts. Drafting a first round RT seems to be a mistake now in hindsight since the idea was to swing Webb over to LT where his "skill set" was better suited.That was a complete miscalculation to believe a guy you drafted in the 7th rd that played against lesser competition, could go from project at RT to protecting the franchise QB's blindside without a full TC or any OTAs to learn the position.This is where the problem will be.Our viewpoint is that you have seen enough of a body of work to determine that Webb is a RT. They may feel that with a full offseason calender he will improve(I say that is a little optomistic). So I'm trying to focus on the top rated defensive prospects that may drop to the Bears at the 19th pick. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears took a Nick Perry,Dre Kirkpatrick or Fletcher Cox with the reported release of Anthony Adams. IMO if Floyd is there I take him because his 40 time was run at his playing weight and that's what I like. I also like the idea of taking a project guy like Stephen Hill of Ga Tech in rd 3 who has the size and speed you want as well,he is just lacking in the body of work on film. Coming from the offense he played in I'm sure blocking isn't an issue.

Drafting Carimi was not a mistake at all. You just can't take a short term perspective on things when drafting and having Carimi as our RT for the next decade looks pretty good to me. IMO the Bears were wise to just put him at the best position for him, even though he'd have been better at LT than Webb. Had Carimi stayed healthy I think the Bears would have had one major weakness in blocking and that was Webb and it would have been relatively easy to shift the help (TE/RB) to that side of the line. Instead when Carimi went down we had trouble covering speed from both edges and plus Martz didn't like keeping his RB in to block or at least chip and he was allergic to 3-step drops.

We hear talk of Chris Williams being moved back to LT. Tice got a good look at Spencer who I thought played well at OG, and Edwin Williams who did ok (for a backup) at OG. There is some depth in there now and if we can just solve the edge rush problem from the left side we'll be alright. I remain unconvinced Chris Williams is our answer at LT but I can see why Tice might consider it. He has to know he can't rely on Webb again.

I disagree completely. Skill positions come and go. Solid OLinemen stay for a long time. Any time you can get a stud OLineman when he's is or is close to BPA, while also being a desperate team need, you do it. On top of that, OL was the number 1 need not only last year, but the year before that, and the year before that. Not to mention this year. It remains, and will continue to remain, the primary need until it is addressed. The mere fact that this organization has chosen to throw 7th rounders in there and then wonder why it's not getting better year after year should be a clear indication of why it remains a problem. OL is the #1 reason why the Bears continue to wallow in offensive mediocrity.

As for Webb, I've said this many times in many ways. Tice used the pieces given to him. Period. He could either use a LT who he thought had potential (Webb) and put Williams in where he was sure he'd do well, or put Williams at LT (which would have been a minor question mark) and put an even bigger question mark at LG. That result was what we saw later in the year when Guys like Edwin Williams and Chris Spencer were being thrust into the lineup with less than stellar results. And just because Webb is ill-suited for LT (this is not up for debate) doesn't mean his skillset is best suited for RT. No way in hell he plays RT for the Bears unless they move Carimi to LT and keep Williams at OG...which would be yet another mistake. I'm sick and tired of this shell game bullshit. They need to find starters and plug them in for the long haul.

I disagree completely. Skill positions come and go. Solid OLinemen stay for a long time. Any time you can get a stud OLineman when he's is or is close to BPA, while also being a desperate team need, you do it. On top of that, OL was the number 1 need not only last year, but the year before that, and the year before that. Not to mention this year. It remains, and will continue to remain, the primary need until it is addressed. The mere fact that this organization has chosen to throw 7th rounders in there and then wonder why it's not getting better year after year should be a clear indication of why it remains a problem. OL is the #1 reason why the Bears continue to wallow in offensive mediocrity.

As for Webb, I've said this many times in many ways. Tice used the pieces given to him. Period. He could either use a LT who he thought had potential (Webb) and put Williams in where he was sure he'd do well, or put Williams at LT (which would have been a minor question mark) and put an even bigger question mark at LG. That result was what we saw later in the year when Guys like Edwin Williams and Chris Spencer were being thrust into the lineup with less than stellar results. And just because Webb is ill-suited for LT (this is not up for debate) doesn't mean his skillset is best suited for RT. No way in hell he plays RT for the Bears unless they move Carimi to LT and keep Williams at OG...which would be yet another mistake. I'm sick and tired of this shell game bullshit. They need to find starters and plug them in for the long haul.

[/quote

Totally agree with, these maybe fixs for offensive line have to stop. We have to address it with additions to OL.2