Mike Adams - OT - Ohio State

Guest TerraTor

Mike Adams, OT - OSU - 19 Reps

Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin - 18 Reps

LOL, Personally, I think they will fall all the way to the 3rd round, where the Bears select both of them and our new GM breaks out his brass knuckles and whip he used when he was a strength & conditioning "Devil" for the midshipmen and our OL problems will be over with.

Two words - Mike Mamula

From Wikipedia:

Mamula improved his draft stock tremendously thanks to his showing at the NFL Combine. He was one of the first players to train specifically for the combine drills, performing each drill hundreds of times in the months leading up to the combine. Although that practice is prevalent today, in 1995 most players performed football drills and paid less to attention to the specific drills measured at the combine.[1] Mamula had 28 reps of 225 lb bench presses, which was more reps than the top tackle taken in the draft (Tony Boselli), and his 4.58 40-yard dash time was considered extremely fast for his position.[2] He scored a 49 out of 50 in the Wonderlic Test, which is the second highest score ever recorded by an NFL player.[3] In addition he also had a 38" vertical jump, higher than CB Jimmy Hitchcock.[4]

Don't buy into the workout hype.

Peace :dabears

To tell you the truth about bench pressing and the NFL....it really doesn't matter what you bench as a lineman because if you can block and weigh 300 to 350 you are in the way of the oncoming rusher. Using your legs you can drive block or push them out of the way. The arms are used mostly to control the guy making him go left or right. So i all comes down to proper technique and desire.

To tell you the truth about bench pressing and the NFL....it really doesn't matter what you bench as a lineman because if you can block and weigh 300 to 350 you are in the way of the oncoming rusher. Using your legs you can drive block or push them out of the way. The arms are used mostly to control the guy making him go left or right. So i all comes down to proper technique and desire.

I tend to agree with this assessment and would probably put more stock in how much a player can squat than bench press. However, I view the upper body strength as a factor is how hard a player would have work throughout the game and less strength can lead to more fatigue late in the game.

Even so, I feel better about drafting a LT if his one weakness is lack of strength versus poor technique. In both cases if a guy is lazy and doesn't want to work you won't be fixing his deficiencies but the weight room would seem to be more straightforward in fixing. It's routine for teams to grab LTs in rd 1 acknowledging they need to add strength. New England agreed when they drafted Nate Solder last year and there was talk about the Bears drafting him. I really want to know if Adams has the quick feet needed to play LT.

LOL, Personally, I think they will fall all the way to the 3rd round, where the Bears select both of them and our new GM breaks out his brass knuckles and whip he used when he was a strength & conditioning "Devil" for the midshipmen and our OL problems will be over with.

I would say now we could draft Adams at 19 and Konz in the second, absoutely would make a difference. I have seen Adams listed as much as the #2 LT prospect and Konz as a top 20 players.

Green is sarcasm, so I think that's what you're going for. But if either of these guys fell to the third (I don't think they will), and the Bears didn't get them, I would be PISSED.

Two words - Mike Mamula

From Wikipedia:

Mamula improved his draft stock tremendously thanks to his showing at the NFL Combine. He was one of the first players to train specifically for the combine drills, performing each drill hundreds of times in the months leading up to the combine. Although that practice is prevalent today, in 1995 most players performed football drills and paid less to attention to the specific drills measured at the combine.[1] Mamula had 28 reps of 225 lb bench presses, which was more reps than the top tackle taken in the draft (Tony Boselli), and his 4.58 40-yard dash time was considered extremely fast for his position.[2] He scored a 49 out of 50 in the Wonderlic Test, which is the second highest score ever recorded by an NFL player.[3] In addition he also had a 38" vertical jump, higher than CB Jimmy Hitchcock.[4]

Don't buy into the workout hype.

Peace :dabears

Usually that is the case with the combine. There's always a guy that comes into the combine every year that blows his competition out of the water with his 40 time and or bench press reps. However if you were in a vacuum and had to pick players, you'd probably be more enticed to get the guy that bench presses 30+ times for his position as opposed to a guy that's only putting it up 18-19 times. Workouts are very tricky but I don't think they are over rated. I think it says more about a guy that's obviously not putting the time in the weight room as opposed to a guy that does.

Green is sarcasm, so I think that's what you're going for. But if either of these guys fell to the third (I don't think they will), and the Bears didn't get them, I would be PISSED.

Yes, did not want anyone to take me serious, I obviously do not think either would be there in the 3rd, just having fun is all.

I agree that combine numbers are overrated, but the bench press numbers for OTs is one that has some merit. First of all, it shows how much time a guy spent in the weight room. I know that it's harder to bench if you have long arms, but the more time you spend lifting, the more reps you'll do. And I want my linemen to be gym rats. Second, beyond just showing how hard of a worker the guy is, you need upper body strength to be a tackle. It's not all finesse and footwork.

And FWIW, I think Chris Williams had a pretty low number as well. One of the knocks on him coming out was that he was soft, both physically and attitude-wise.

He looked good at the senior bowl, so I dont see him dropping a great deal because of his reps. low first or early second.

Agreed and he still has his pro day to try and show an upgrade in strength at the bench press. If he is going to drop it is because of the talent on the DL will start a feeding frenzy in the early rounds.