Mario Williams to be a UFA

Ed Hochuli 3:16

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure tying that much money into one position would be very good, but it would be fun to watch that.

Which position are you talking about? I'm guessing it's DE. If so, I sort of agree, but by having Williams and Peppers, the Bears could essentially underspend on DTs. Six in one hand...

It would be fun to watch, but Peppers cap number is something like 15-20 million this year. Williams is likely going to cost 15-20 million. That's a HUGE portion of the cap to be spent on one position.

As many double teams as Peppers commands, it shouldn't be THAT hard to find a good defensive end to play opposite of him.

Which position are you talking about? I'm guessing it's DE. If so, I sort of agree, but by having Williams and Peppers, the Bears could essentially underspend on DTs. Six in one hand...

Think I read tody Paeppers contract is $19 mill

His cap hit this year is 11.2 mill according to Spotrac. com a stats website. I dont see the Bears tying up 25 to 28 mil at one position. thats almost 25% of the cap for 2 players at DE and with Culters contract coming up in 2014 that wont happen. It all sounds good but the fact is one big contract and 2 or 3 fringe players. Of course if we have 46 mill in cap space then we can have both and Nicks.

His cap hit this year is 11.2 mill according to Spotrac. com a stats website. I dont see the Bears tying up 25 to 28 mil at one position. thats almost 25% of the cap for 2 players at DE and with Culters contract coming up in 2014 that wont happen. It all sounds good but the fact is one big contract and 2 or 3 fringe players. Of course if we have 46 mill in cap space then we can have both and Nicks.

I think I read somewhere that Peppers has a 12 mil cap charge this season. A lot of that might be amortized signing bonus (ie, they are seeing a cap charge for it, but not actually paying it), but it would still be a lot of cap tied up at DE. Clayton thinks MArio Williams will get 15 mil per year.

I'd be interested to see how Pepper's deal is structured beyond this year. If he's only got huge cap numbers this year and next or something, they may be able to make it work. Seems like a longshot though.

Guest TerraTor
It would be fun to watch, but Peppers cap number is something like 15-20 million this year. Williams is likely going to cost 15-20 million. That's a HUGE portion of the cap to be spent on one position.

As many double teams as Peppers commands, it shouldn't be THAT hard to find a good defensive end to play opposite of him.

Isnt the point of our defense to rely on pressure from the front 4 though?

Signing Mario Williams would instantly give us the best DE tandem in the league since Freeney and Mathis in their primes, but probably better. I can't imagine a quarterback that's going to enjoy tryiing to throw over two 6'8 athletic freaks on each side of the line. It's a no brainer if you ask me. You go all out for Williams, if he signs elsewhere it better not because it's for more money.

It basically is literally too good to be true.

Signing Mario Williams would instantly give us the best DE tandem in the league since Freeney and Mathis in their primes, but probably better. I can't imagine a quarterback that's going to enjoy tryiing to throw over two 6'8 athletic freaks on each side of the line. It's a no brainer if you ask me. You go all out for Williams, if he signs elsewhere it better not because it's for more money.

Perhaps more reasonable and interesting Bears target:

I think there's one player who should be affordable, available and sought after by any team needing a nickel rusher or maybe an every-down rush end: Jeremy Mincey of the Jags. With four sacks and 18 quarterback hits/pressures in the last four weeks of the season, Mincey, 28, put on a good free-agent rush. His name has come up three times since the end of the season with personnel guys looking for help pressuring the quarterback.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writ...l#ixzz1oLV8PZhz

Personally I think that landing Jackson and finding a quality opposing pass rusher is pretty interesting :)

Yeah but you didn't throw Jackson into the equation on the post to which I replied! :) I'm not so sure Mincey is all that interesting, or even a quality pass rusher - much less an upgrade over who the Bears have - but if Jackson is thrown into the equation it's a nice consolation prize.

I still have major concerns over Jackson. Boy am I getting picky but I've just heard too many bad things about him on local LA/OC/San Diego radio. Guy has had all kinds of issues regarding how serious he takes his profession and I worry when he gets paid, he gets lazy. We'll see though.

I am starting to question him too. I am starting to think that we should just get Nicks and draft a WR at #19.