Mario Williams to be a UFA

Ed Hochuli 3:16

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently not. You and I must be the only two left.

Three. :lol:

I'd prefer to load up on the OL and make it all-pro from end to end (seriously). Everyone would cry at first, but then an average Joe RB would be good for 5 YPC, and an average QB could find targets if he had 10 seconds to sit in the pocket. It's not realistic in the NFL because nobody would do it, but I think it's a better strategy and it minimizes cost on all the franchise-type skill players.

Three. :lol:

I'd prefer to load up on the OL and make it all-pro from end to end (seriously). Everyone would cry at first, but then an average Joe RB would be good for 5 YPC, and an average QB could find targets if he had 10 seconds to sit in the pocket. It's not realistic in the NFL because nobody would do it, but I think it's a better strategy and it minimizes cost on all the franchise-type skill players.

I want either Jackson and Grubbs, Colston and Williams, Colston and Grubbs, or Williams and Grubbs, so I think we agree that a UFA OL is necessary for this team, whether he's a Pro Bowler (Grubbs) or he's a solid back-up (Collins).

I want either Jackson and Grubbs, Colston and Williams, Colston and Grubbs, or Williams and Grubbs, so I think we agree that a UFA OL is necessary for this team, whether he's a Pro Bowler (Grubbs) or he's a solid back-up (Collins).

yes, yes, yes, yes and yes... BTW - crap is gonna continue to fly about Jackson, because they want him to stay. Ask Denver about Cutler, Carolina about Peppers. Hell, Indy will be crying at the press conference tomorrow....

yes, yes, yes, yes and yes... BTW - crap is gonna continue to fly about Jackson, because they want him to stay. Ask Denver about Cutler, Carolina about Peppers. Hell, Indy will be crying at the press conference tomorrow....

Vincent Jackson is not in the same tier as those guys. For better or for worse, Cutler is a franchise QB. Peppers is a constant defensive player of the year candidate. And Peyton Manning is arguably the best ever to play the position.

V-Jackson reminds me of Anquan Boldin. Baltimore gave up a 2nd round pick and gave him a huge contract. So far he's put up nice #2 WR numbers.

Crap flew when Bernard Berrian left the Bears. Kudos to JA for passing on that deal.

The Bears don't need Jackson to be a 80+ catch guy. They need him to catch 65-70 passes and be a good 3rd down and red zone target. They have Bennett too, and for him being "average" up to most NFL wideouts, he's proved to be a good one here with Cutler. Also, they'll probably draft another WR in the first 3 rounds.

Oh, and don't give me the "he has a bad attitude stuff." I'm happy he does. Hester, Bennett and Sanzenbacher are all kind of no-emotion no-talk guys. Talk a little s*** here and there. This is f***ing Chicago. As for the DUI's, so what? Michael Floyd has what, 2 or 3 of those? We all still want him too.

All in all, if you think Jackson has to be the savior and be Larry Fitzgerald East, stop. He'll come here and be a good player with about 67 catches and 9 TD's annually.

The Bears don't need Jackson to be a 80+ catch guy. They need him to catch 65-70 passes and be a good 3rd down and red zone target. They have Bennett too, and for him being "average" up to most NFL wideouts, he's proved to be a good one here with Cutler. Also, they'll probably draft another WR in the first 3 rounds.

All in all, if you think Jackson has to be the savior, stop. He'll come here and be a good player with about 67 catches and 9 TD's annually.

The Bears need V-Jack to be a #1 WR. He'll command 10 million plus per. At that price, he has to continue to have at least 1100 yards and 8 TD's for multiple seasons and be good in the locker room. Can he do that without Gates?

The Bears have to be 100% convinced he can do that or you don't offer him that contract.

The Bears need V-Jack to be a #1 WR. He'll command 10 million plus per. At that price, he has to continue to have at least 1100 yards and 8 TD's for multiple seasons and be good in the locker room. Can he do that without Gates?

The Bears have to be 100% convinced he can do that or you don't offer him that contract.

I would disagree, in a sense. They need 1100 yards and 8 TD's, but they don't need him to "dominate." Bennett is going to get plenty of targets with his chemistry with Cutler and Forte will get his touches. They just need Jackson to be a big threat who keeps opposing defenses honest, but at the same, catch mostly everything thrown his way, which will include touchdowns, big plays, and inaccurate passes on occasion.

I would disagree, in a sense. They need 1100 yards and 8 TD's, but they don't need him to "dominate." Bennett is going to get plenty of targets with his chemistry with Cutler and Forte will get his touches. They just need Jackson to be a big threat who keeps opposing defenses honest, but at the same, catch mostly everything thrown his way, which will include touchdowns, big plays, and inaccurate passes on occasion.

The cap is likely to be 120 million. San Diego is rumored to be offering 10 million. That means the Bears would have to pay 12 million which is 10% of the cap. Without looking up the exact numbers, that puts him up there with Cutler, Urlacher and Peppers. Those 3 guys are super stars. Is V-Jack a super star or just a good wide receiver?

The cap is likely to be 120 million. San Diego is rumored to be offering 10 million. That means the Bears would have to pay 12 million which is 10% of the cap. Without looking up the exact numbers, that puts him up there with Cutler, Urlacher and Peppers. Those 3 guys are super stars. Is V-Jack a super star or just a good wide receiver?

The latter

He will be a #1 WR for the Bears. He just won't get Gronkowski-like stats. We need a chain mover and an end zone threat.

Oh, and don't give me the "he has a bad attitude stuff." I'm happy he does. Hester, Bennett and Sanzenbacher are all kind of no-emotion no-talk guys. Talk a little s*** here and there. This is f***ing Chicago. As for the DUI's, so what? Michael Floyd has what, 2 or 3 of those? We all still want him too.

All in all, if you think Jackson has to be the savior and be Larry Fitzgerald East, stop. He'll come here and be a good player with about 67 catches and 9 TD's annually.

Bolded Part: That's how I've felt about Moss and TO for years and years.

Dude wasn't even ready to play in there big playoff games cause he was out hammered till 2 or 3 AM. Jackson has all kinds of problems and I've heard tons of bad stuff about the guy from one of his teammates on the Chargers (who is a probowler...it isn't some nobody). I haven't necessarily heard it direct, but i've seen it via email correspondence with my buddy (who is also one of my senior's that I manage) whose shown it to me (cause him and I talk major crap on each others teams; his being the Chargers, mine being the Bears).

Jackson is talented and he's clearly an upgrade but he's got flaws and some of them are concerning.

Dude wasn't even ready to play in there big playoff games cause he was out hammered till 2 or 3 AM. Jackson has all kinds of problems and I've heard tons of bad stuff about the guy from one of his teammates on the Chargers (who is a probowler...it isn't some nobody). I haven't necessarily heard it direct, but i've seen it via email correspondence with my buddy (who is also one of my senior's that I manage) whose shown it to me (cause him and I talk major crap on each others teams; his being the Chargers, mine being the Bears).

Jackson is talented and he's clearly an upgrade but he's got flaws and some of them are concerning.

I wanted him in a big way, but I think it is a high reward but a high risk. He will command the most money out of all the WRs left, so maybe shoot for Colston for a couple of mil less a year, leaving us room to grab others.

Find another Big WR available that can take over a game and I can debate the two, but regardless of what VJax is/isn't I'm not letting him out of CHI unless we know there is a similiar or better option.

Find another Big WR available that can take over a game and I can debate the two, but regardless of what VJax is/isn't I'm not letting him out of CHI unless we know there is a similiar or better option.

I think what ever offer he gets, he will take back to SD because he would rather stay there. Rivers and the weather have to be attractive if the money is close. So the point is he wont be a quick hit, he will take a week to look over offers and the SD pitch. I think we should shoot for Colston and make a quick hit with him, most teams will be after Jackson and leave us as a first thought for Colston.

I think what ever offer he gets, he will take back to SD because he would rather stay there. Rivers and the weather have to be attractive if the money is close. So the point is he wont be a quick hit, he will take a week to look over offers and the SD pitch. I think we should shoot for Colston and make a quick hit with him, most teams will be after Jackson and leave us as a first thought for Colston.

If Colston is willing to sign first, then sign him first, but put your first phone call in to Jackson's agent, put the money on the table, and say that it's there and the clock is ticking.

The latter

If he's the latter he's just a good WR. If you make him one of the highest paid players on your team, that's certain death for your franchise. You don't give good players great money. You give them Earl Bennett money.

You have to be specific. This may or may not be true. That's one helluva an accusation. You saying that you heard this from someone you know is not helpful.