Mario Williams to be a UFA

Ed Hochuli 3:16

He's probably in a position where his friend was at the same club.

The 3AM story is very well known. And Vjax was not the only one there. But as a whole, there are a lot of reasons why the Chargers aren't fully enamored with Vjax. That said, the dude is productive and the Chargers have lost a lot of talent in FA the past 5 years.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's the latter he's just a good WR. If you make him one of the highest paid players on your team, that's certain death for your franchise. You don't give good players great money. You give them Earl Bennett money.

Is that why the Packers and Patriots are dead? Because average/decent/good players like Dan Koppen, AJ Hawk, Ryan Grant, and Desmond Bishop are being paid better than most of the guys on those two teams?

Your argument is so ridiculous. No franchise will "die" because Vincent Jackson will make $11m next year, especially one that has triple that in cap space like the Bears do. Granted, it may end up not being totally worth it, but it depends on what people think is worth it from Jackson. If he catches 1100+ yards and 8 TD's a year for the next 3 years, and his last 2 years he has about 900 yards and 6 TD's a season, I would say that ends up being worth it.

When Butkus was ending his career I was worried out defense would never be the same without him.

Then Singletary came along and we had one of the top defenses in NFL History.

Then when Samurai retired I though, oh shit, our defense is going to suck, who will replace him?

Then Urlacher was drafted.

I keep hearing our window of opportunity is closing, I just do not believe it.

I do not care what the hell we have to pay VJ, if by doing so it helps take us to another level and a trip to the SB, then it is worth every penny.

Sign VJ, then draft a top WR prospect to go along with him. That window will open wide and we will have some fun again in Chicago.

:cheers

When Butkus was ending his career I was worried out defense would never be the same without him.

Then Singletary came along and we had one of the top defenses in NFL History.

Then when Samurai retired I though, oh shit, our defense is going to suck, who will replace him?

Then Urlacher was drafted.

I keep hearing our window of opportunity is closing, I just do not believe it.

I do not care what the hell we have to pay VJ, if by doing so it helps take us to another level and a trip to the SB, then it is worth every penny.

Sign VJ, then draft a top WR prospect to go along with him. That window will open wide and we will have some fun again in Chicago.

No franchise will "die" because Vincent Jackson will make $11m next year, especially one that has triple that in cap space like the Bears do. Granted, it may end up not being totally worth it, but it depends on what people think is worth it from Jackson. If he catches 1100+ yards and 8 TD's a year for the next 3 years, and his last 2 years he has about 900 yards and 6 TD's a season, I would say that ends up being worth it.

Agreed. Our offense will not thrive until we have a difference maker as a playmaker. None of our skill positions are currently that. Forte is a blue collar running back and all of our recievers are complimentary at best. Jackson is a threat on any down to make plays and move the chains. He can fight for bailout throws and will command double teams in the red zone creating favorable matchups for personnel and gameplan. Gotta have him!

Is that why the Packers and Patriots are dead? Because average/decent/good players like Dan Koppen, AJ Hawk, Ryan Grant, and Desmond Bishop are being paid better than most of the guys on those two teams?

Your argument is so ridiculous. No franchise will "die" because Vincent Jackson will make $11m next year, especially one that has triple that in cap space like the Bears do. Granted, it may end up not being totally worth it, but it depends on what people think is worth it from Jackson. If he catches 1100+ yards and 8 TD's a year for the next 3 years, and his last 2 years he has about 900 yards and 6 TD's a season, I would say that ends up being worth it.

Let me ammend that. Unless you have a top 3 NFL QB your franchise will likely suck. It's also why the Packers and Pats don't have much room to sign free agents. Lucky for them they have Brady and Rogers so it's not that urgent.

My figuratively saying it would be the death of a team was an exaggeration, but it makes it one helluva a lot tougher.

I will say this: Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers, and Tillman are old as hell by NFL standards. We have no replacements waiting in the wings. If the Bears swing and miss on a huge free agency signing, we could be screwed. If the defense gets bad and one of our highest paid offensive players is bad, we could be a bottom team. It wouldn't be the death of the franchise, but we be in rebuilding mode which ain't much better.

Let me ammend that. Unless you have a top 3 NFL QB your franchise will likely suck. It's also why the Packers and Pats don't have much room to sign free agents. Lucky for them they have Brady and Rogers so it's not that urgent.

My figuratively saying it would be the death of a team was an exaggeration, but it makes it one helluva a lot tougher.

I will say this: Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers, and Tillman are old as hell by NFL standards. We have no replacements waiting in the wings. If the Bears swing and miss on a huge free agency signing, we could be screwed. If the defense gets bad and one of our highest paid offensive players is bad, we could be a bottom team. It wouldn't be the death of the franchise, but we be in rebuilding mode which ain't much better.

I would look at that from a positive point of view. Urlacher's deal is up soon, Peppers has 5 years left but he won't play that out, Tillman's is likely up soon as well, and Briggs wants out so he may be gone soon. On that note, all of those big deals are up, and the Bears have tried to win with a good D and an average O. It hasn't worked. Yeah, maybe the Pats and Pack survived this whole time because of Rodgers and Brady, but IMO, Cutler can be really good also with a solid OL and some WR's. I want them to build a juggernaut offense, and it would start with Jackson. Maybe he wouldn't make it a juggernaut single handedly, but he'd help and maybe it opens the door to more offensive FA's in the future. Plus, opposing defenses might focus on Jackson thus helping a rookie WR and Bennett thrive.

Cutler will be 30 soon. The time is now. I can make an argument that in 2010, the Bears were a healthy MCL away from winning the Super Bowl, and that was with a bad WR corps and a brutal OL. Add in a veteran good WR and OL and they might be in the SB discussion again.

Oh, and trust me: Jackson will not be "bad" here.

If Colston is willing to sign first, then sign him first, but put your first phone call in to Jackson's agent, put the money on the table, and say that it's there and the clock is ticking.

I don't think it'll flow this way at all.

It will be similar to the Bears scheduling the first visit for Jackson with the best offer and Lovie showing up at VJack's house like he did with Peppers.

I believe it'll have to go that way if the Bears expect to land him.

If he's the latter he's just a good WR. If you make him one of the highest paid players on your team, that's certain death for your franchise. You don't give good players great money. You give them Earl Bennett money.

The problem is he will command big money and expectations will be higher, but if he is over 1000 yards, and 8 to 10 TDS every year he will help us be successful. When you draft lousy for 5 years you have to play to get good players. The death of the franchise is poor drafting , not spending big money on one player.

I don't think it'll flow this way at all.

It will be similar to the Bears scheduling the first visit for Jackson with the best offer and Lovie showing up at VJack's house like he did with Peppers.

I believe it'll have to go that way if the Bears expect to land him.

I think he still wants to play in SD, the weather, Rivers, its his home, but 3 to 4 mil more will drag him away. How will he know what the best offer is , if he looks at only the Bears, no way he jumps in one day.

If between Washington & Chicago (Hear Washington would be our thorn), I know the Redskins seem to have deep pockets when it comes to FAs, but do you really think VJ would want to go to a team like Washington with the QB situation they have or prefer going to Chicago with Cutler as his QB? It would be to his advantage to go to the team that not only can offer him a big contract but also a QB that can give him a chance to excel and get to the SB.