Interesting Bargain Article

azbearsfan

There does appear to be some potentially nice fits...

I wonder what Cutler's thoughts of Royal are...

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4004...n-low-down?pg=1

Interesting article about some possible bargains. Even more interesting that alot of these guys match up with our needs and would be somewhat of an upgrade.

Hopefully Emery will find some cheap talent.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4004...n-low-down?pg=1

Interesting article about some possible bargains. Even more interesting that alot of these guys match up with our needs and would be somewhat of an upgrade.

Hopefully Emery will find some cheap talent.

I've got to admit, I was a big fan of Angelo's bargain shopping last year. Roy Williams, Marion Barner, Amobi Okoye, the dude from the Jets whose name I can't remember. Not to mention Brandon Merriweather. Wow that was bad.

Lesson learned: There is a reason why they are cheap. If we sign one or two top tier guys, I'll be thrilled with the bargains.

I've got to admit, I was a big fan of Angelo's bargain shopping last year. Roy Williams, Marion Barner, Amobi Okoye, the dude from the Jets whose name I can't remember. Not to mention Brandon Merriweather. Wow that was bad.

Lesson learned: There is a reason why they are cheap. If we sign one or two top tier guys, I'll be thrilled with the bargains.

The deal is we wont be signing 4 top tier players, so you have to get players that are cheaper with upside. I would much rather miss on Roy Williams at his pay as I would Sydney Rice at his price.

The deal is we wont be signing 4 top tier players, so you have to get players that are cheaper with upside. I would much rather miss on Roy Williams at his pay as I would Sydney Rice at his price.

Damn good point. On the radio I heard someone say we couldn't do worse than JA. I disagree. While we could have done better we could have done one helluva a lot worse.

Roy Williams - Disappointed us all because we had such high expectations, but the dude put up stats comparable to Mario Manningham, who has caused more than one FA boner on this site.

Marion Barber - Had a pretty decent year except for one game that has tainted him in the eyes of some.

Amobi Okoye - Showed flashes of his talent and potential, not really a bad pickup.

Vernon Gholston - OK, bad pickup.

Brandon Merriweather - Below average pickup.

I thought the moves were brilliant at the time. And I still think it's a good idea. Whenever possible the Bears should look to players who have shown exceptional talent or potential, or who have shown production, but have been pushed aside for whatever reason and have minimal interest around the league. If those players have failed to live up to their talent or potential, yet have shown glimpses of greatness, it doesn't hurt to sign them to cheap(ish) contracts and hope they pan out. It's certainly a gamble, but if inspiration grows roots it could bloom into on-field production. You never know if you can inspire or teach a player to live up to his hype. If things don't work out, cut'em. No problem.

I'm not sure what our track record is turning bargain basement guys into gems...

A Adams was OK, Jennings was fair at times. Overall, our only real success has seemed to come from getting a bonafide stud or through the draft.

It could very well be a "coaching-up" issue many of us have had concern with over the years. But, I simply would rather get 1 blue chip guy over a handful of so-so discards from other systems.

Roy Williams - Disappointed us all because we had such high expectations, but the dude put up stats comparable to Mario Manningham, who has caused more than one FA boner on this site.

Marion Barber - Had a pretty decent year except for one game that has tainted him in the eyes of some.

Amobi Okoye - Showed flashes of his talent and potential, not really a bad pickup.

Vernon Gholston - OK, bad pickup.

Brandon Merriweather - Below average pickup.

I thought the moves were brilliant at the time. And I still think it's a good idea. Whenever possible the Bears should look to players who have shown exceptional talent or potential, or who have shown production, but have been pushed aside for whatever reason and have minimal interest around the league. If those players have failed to live up to their talent or potential, yet have shown glimpses of greatness, it doesn't hurt to sign them to cheap(ish) contracts and hope they pan out. It's certainly a gamble, but if inspiration grows roots it could bloom into on-field production. You never know if you can inspire or teach a player to live up to his hype. If things don't work out, cut'em. No problem.

I'm not sure what our track record is turning bargain basement guys into gems...

A Adams was OK, Jennings was fair at times. Overall, our only real success has seemed to come from getting a bonafide stud or through the draft.

It could very well be a "coaching-up" issue many of us have had concern with over the years. But, I simply would rather get 1 blue chip guy over a handful of so-so discards from other systems.

Completely agreed. That's why I'm making the same case in regards to the pu-pu platter of WRs in the other thread. But at the same time, if the coaches think they can catch lightning in a bottle with a FA acquisition that has promise, I don't have a problem with it. I think it's a potentially sound move with minimal downside. Playing that same game with multiple FAs who are getting interest from several teams, however, is potentially expensive.

Gotcha. I caught your comments on the other thread and agree.

It's all relative. If we don't make a splash, then I'm ok with prodding into the kiddie pool to see if we can turn coal into a diamond. But, given our situation, given what's out there, and given our cap space. We need to be swimming in the Olympic pool. I have zero problem with after getting the #1 guy, that we take some chances in the small pool and hope we can strike gold.

Completely agreed. That's why I'm making the same case in regards to the pu-pu platter of WRs in the other thread. But at the same time, if the coaches think they can catch lightning in a bottle with a FA acquisition that has promise, I don't have a problem with it. I think it's a potentially sound move with minimal downside. Playing that same game with multiple FAs who are getting interest from several teams, however, is potentially expensive.