Rams deal #2 to Skins

rockren

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7668243/...k-st-louis-rams

MERCY!!!

In a pre-draft blockbuster trade, the St. Louis Rams have agreed in principle to send the second overall pick in this year's draft to the Washington Redskins for three first-round draft picks and a second-round pick, according to a source in Cleveland familiar with the terms of the deal.

Holy moly!!! Sorry to move from 6 to 2 that is waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too much!!!

Makes the jay cutler trade look a whole lot better

It makes the Cutler deal look Great. Cutler was a young pro-bowler & a legit franchise QB. How many times have we seen top drafted QB's suck?

Not to mention the Bears were an average team with a great defense and awful offense. The Redskins are just awful. How many years will it take for them to get better? Its quite possible the Redskins could be the worst team in the league and the Rams would own the #1 overall.

EXCEPTION: Won't this make the Redskins even bigger players in free agency? We were able to sign Peppers because we didn't have to pay for 1st or 2nd rounders two years straight. PFT reported a couple weeks ago the Redskins were going to target a #1 WR. The price for V-Jack may have just went up.

It makes the Cutler deal look Great. Cutler was a young pro-bowler & a legit franchise QB. How many times have we seen top drafted QB's suck?

Not to mention the Bears were an average team with a great defense and awful offense. The Redskins are just awful. How many years will it take for them to get better? Its quite possible the Redskins could be the worst team in the league and the Rams would own the #1 overall.

EXCEPTION: Won't this make the Redskins even bigger players in free agency? We were able to sign Peppers because we didn't have to pay for 1st or 2nd rounders two years straight. PFT reported a couple weeks ago the Redskins were going to target a #1 WR. The price for V-Jack may have just went up.

That appears to be way to much, but if he turns out to be a pro bowl type QB, maybe not.

That appears to be way to much, but if he turns out to be a pro bowl type QB, maybe not.

Also, with the new CBA, the cost for a top drafted QB in terms of cap space is a lot lower. The Redskins clearly have no qualms about using cap space to try to grab players, if they have the QB to build around, that could set them up well enough to survive losing those first roudners.

Also, with the new CBA, the cost for a top drafted QB in terms of cap space is a lot lower. The Redskins clearly have no qualms about using cap space to try to grab players, if they have the QB to build around, that could set them up well enough to survive losing those first roudners.

Good point about the cap space. Cam Newton's signed a 4 year 22 million $$$ deal.

That actually makes those picks St. Louis received even more valuable. You don't have to pay through the nose to draft a bust like Cedric Benson.

That actually makes those picks St. Louis received even more valuable. You don't have to pay through the nose to draft a bust like Cedric Benson.

That's only really true though if Washington can't climb out of the top 10 in the draft. If Washington spends their cap space this year and then gets a solid performance from RGIII, you don't care as much about that in the 15th or 20th pick range.

That's only really true though if Washington can't climb out of the top 10 in the draft. If Washington spends their cap space this year and then gets a solid performance from RGIII, you don't care as much about that in the 15th or 20th pick range.

Except when your first pick in the draft for the next two years is 47th-52nd.

I don't like the deal for Washington to give up that much for so long just to move up 4 spots. Take the player out of the equation, they are giving up 2 firsts and a second to move up 4 spots this year.

PFT reported a couple weeks ago the Redskins were going to target a #1 WR. The price for V-Jack may have just went up.

Oh you've got that right!

I still feel the Bears are a lot more appealing than Washington, but money talks.

However, the Bears have outbid the Skins the past two times we've been at the poker table with them in regards to Cutler AND Peppers.

I believe the Skins will up the ante for VJax and it may very well cost 5/60/20 to land him in Chicago (which I would still do). The Skins may also be forced to go for quantity rather than quality after this deal.

I don't like the deal for Washington to give up that much for so long just to move up 4 spots. Take the player out of the equation, they are giving up 2 firsts and a second to move up 4 spots this year.

But you can't take the player out of the equation, that's the whole issue. They get a QB that presumably they think is a legit #1 guy. If he winds up being that, a multi-year pro-bowler at that position, that's worth multiple draft picks.

If the Skins go 5-11 this year (which they may very well will) does Shanny get more time? How many draft picks are they going to throw at QBs? (remember the 2nd and 4th for McNabb).

The first thing I thought was the Colts should have been in on negotiations on this weeks ago and just rolled the dice with Peyton and then had all of these draft picks to fall back on if he didn't work out.

But you can't take the player out of the equation, that's the whole issue. They get a QB that presumably they think is a legit #1 guy. If he winds up being that, a multi-year pro-bowler at that position, that's worth multiple draft picks.

But doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of hiring a Shanahan type coach that Washington paid a ton of money to bring in?

Washington is saying, "We can't develop a QB or have the ability to identify what kind of QB we want without selling the farm."

It is extremely counter productive to make such a move. If they're betting on RGIII to be Cam Newton- this trade wasn't worth it for the Skins. Not even Cam Newton has the kind of upside to take a below average team and make them a playoff team without any 1st Rounders to help him out for the near future.

This was a terrible move by the Skins.

If the Skins go 5-11 this year (which they may very well will) does Shanny get more time? How many draft picks are they going to throw at QBs? (remember the 2nd and 4th for McNabb).

The first thing I thought was the Colts should have been in on negotiations on this weeks ago and just rolled the dice with Peyton and then had all of these draft picks to fall back on if he didn't work out.

I've been told that it would have been exceedingly difficult for the Colts to trade Manning with his current contract, because the Colts would have taken a huge cap hit, as would any team that signed him. I thought they needed to try to move him for a while but the cap seems to have been the biggest issue.

Manning, of course, wants his new team to win, and having more draft picks helps his new team win, so he's not going to renegotiate his contract to help the Colts trade him.

I've been told that it would have been exceedingly difficult for the Colts to trade Manning with his current contract, because the Colts would have taken a huge cap hit, as would any team that signed him. I thought they needed to try to move him for a while but the cap seems to have been the biggest issue.

Manning, of course, wants his new team to win, and having more draft picks helps his new team win, so he's not going to renegotiate his contract to help the Colts trade him.

I meant the Colts should have kept Manning and deal the #1 for what the Rams got.

I meant the Colts should have kept Manning and deal the #1 for what the Rams got.

The problem there is that if you're stockpiling draft picks, you're getting guys who you expect to be carrying your team in what, 2-3 years? They can be contributors as rookies, but you stockpile first and second rounders hoping to win in a couple years when they all start to mature together.

Peyton Manning needs to be in a spot where he can win now. You're not going to re-grow a new team around a Peyton Manning with 2-3 years of extra draft picks if you don't know that Peyton Manning will even be playing in a couple years, and you'd be spending your entire cap on Manning and having him unhappy and surrounded by Rookies to boot.

The problem there is that if you're stockpiling draft picks, you're getting guys who you expect to be carrying your team in what, 2-3 years? They can be contributors as rookies, but you stockpile first and second rounders hoping to win in a couple years when they all start to mature together.

Peyton Manning needs to be in a spot where he can win now. You're not going to re-grow a new team around a Peyton Manning with 2-3 years of extra draft picks if you don't know that Peyton Manning will even be playing in a couple years, and you'd be spending your entire cap on Manning and having him unhappy and surrounded by Rookies to boot.

Bring back the Waynes and the Clarks.....allow the former Ravens' DC to build a young defense with all of those picks....

they'd compete.