If you had your choice

DABEARSDABOMB

Mario Williams is the best player in free agency, similar to when Peppers hit the market a few seasons ago. It's him over anyone else. I just looked at his wikipedia page and was blown away when I saw that he has a 40 1/2 inch vertical at 6'7 283! That is the very definition of a freak. You put two freak athletes together on different sides of the line and you have a dominant defense. Vincent Jackson concerns me because of his injury history and his history off the field. Not known as a guy that's a competitor. He wants his money. I think there is a huge bust factor with him personally. He's already 29 going on 30.

I want the WR...but am more than OK with Mario.

I'm going Williams. I'd rather pay the extra few million for a guy that I believe is an elite end. Just my 2 cents. Plus, I think it makes our defense that much better and should help us when it comes to going against the Lions/Packers pass attacks.

I still think if the Bears hit on Williams and miss on Jackson there are other opportunities. Such as a Garcon/Reggie Wayne/Royal/etc.

Wayne will go wherever Manning does, and Garcon might do the same. I wouldn't say getting Eddie Royal is "another opportunity" if they miss out on Williams and Jackson. Royal is not even in the same galaxy as those two guys in terms of the impact they'd have.

I'd much rather have Williams. Elite pass rushers are way rarer than number 1 receivers. Plus the Bears offense was starting to roll when Cutler went down. We may not have the type of receivers that strike fear in the heart of opposing teams, but if we can consistently put points on the board who cares?

Wayne will go wherever Manning does, and Garcon might do the same. I wouldn't say getting Eddie Royal is "another opportunity" if they miss out on Williams and Jackson. Royal is not even in the same galaxy as those two guys in terms of the impact they'd have.

I don't disagree, but you still have a 1st round draft pick. There have been a lot of reports saying Wayne isn't necessarily a package deal with Manning though. He might go but he very well might not.

On a sidenote, the cap number being thrown around by most of the media guys:

Vjax - 11 to 13M

Mario - 14 to 15M.

Wanted to put that out there. Bears currently are about $26M under the cap (this is factoring in the Forte's franchise hit).

I read a report that lists all the teams cap space and our cap is 22.6 mil. Also Mario will cost more like 16 to 18 mil. which doesnt leave money for anyone else. We still have a rookie pool and our own players to sign.

Its got to be Mario. The market is going to drive both players sky high for salary, yet Mario is the only truly elite player of the two. I also think the Bears have a real shot on Mario since his chance to pair with Pepp is truly epic and could be a historic combination. After Mario I think there are a couple of B tier guys that would help quite a bit like Meachem and Manningham. After that I think we have to hope Floyd is still there at 19. All in all, I believe you cant get close to good value for Jackson. He will be paid as an elite player when he isnt. I'll take Pepp version 2.0 all day long.

I read a report that lists all the teams cap space and our cap is 22.6 mil. Also Mario will cost more like 16 to 18 mil. which doesnt leave money for anyone else. We still have a rookie pool and our own players to sign.

I'm going to listen to the reports that include the rollover cap room and the recent cuts. It has widely been reported that we have 26M in cap room (after taking into account Forte's franchise hit). Not factoring Forte, it is around 34M.

Williams would provide a greater impact. That makes the Bears a top 5 defense immediately. Makes the DTs, CBs, and Safeties better immediately. The Bears don't have to depend on another player to create Mario Williams opportunities.

VJax could still disappoint if the OL can't protect Cutler long enough to throw the ball.