Update: Williams leaving Buffalo without contract

flea

Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News reports that the Bills are doing all they can to get Williams to sign now, before he leaves Buffalo. The Bills want to make Williams the highest-paid defensive player in the league, with a deal better than the six-year, $91.5 million contract that Julius Peppers signed with the Bears in 2010. The Bills’ offer to Williams will apparently include more than $91.5 million in total money, more than the $40.5 million in the first three years that the Bears gave Peppers, and more than the $42 million guaranteed that the Bears gave Peppers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...ing-huge-offer/

Not so fast...reports out there that Williams will be taking other visits and Suntimes just put up an article saying Bears are still in on Williams.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...bell-signs.html

Cripes I just got crazy giddy.

This is what pisses me off about the Jason Campbell deal. After adding Jennings & BM, we need every dollar possible. We put 3 million to a back-up QB??? Terrible. That's a move you make after the market settles. Not 2 hours into free agency.

I love the BM move. That being said, there's a reason you don't see the great teams like the Patriots and the Packers never rushing into free agency. Signing Campbell was a knee jerk reaction to putting our faith in Caleb Hanie.

This is what pisses me off about the Jason Campbell deal. After adding Jennings & BM, we need every dollar possible. We put 3 million to a back-up QB??? Terrible. That's a move you make after the market settles. Not 2 hours into free agency.

I love the BM move. That being said, there's a reason you don't see the great teams like the Patriots and the Packers never rushing into free agency. Signing Campbell was a knee jerk reaction to putting our faith in Caleb Hanie.

I don't know. Bears didn't beat around the bush and just jumped in and signed him. I think the difference is only about 1.5M (between him and a cheap backup) and that probably doesn't ruin things, although I could be wrong. And Jason is significantly better than an ordinary backup. Dude could start on a few teams in this league.

I also am not sure if the 3M dollar is the exact amount yet or not.

We could have waited for a few weeks after all the good backups were signed by other teams and take the best backup left to sign, isn't that what Angelo use to do all the time? I like the proactive signing, let's just hope he never has to play, but we need the security of a decent backup. Like someone said earlier, if we had had him as a backup last year there is a good chance we would have been in the playoffs.

I don't know. Bears didn't beat around the bush and just jumped in and signed him. I think the difference is only about 1.5M (between him and a cheap backup) and that probably doesn't ruin things, although I could be wrong. And Jason is significantly better than an ordinary backup. Dude could start on a few teams in this league.

I also am not sure if the 3M dollar is the exact amount yet or not.

I've also read $3m, but I'd bet that's with bonuses which for backups, that cannot be reached unless they play. So, for cap reasons and just common sense, let's hope he doesn't see the field this year.

Just talked to my source. He says he believes Williams really would love to play in Chicago but doesn't want to take as much of a discount as he'd have to to play in Chicago. He claims that he believes Williams will visit Jacksonville next.

Considering the cap space we have left compared to what he'll demand, I don't blame him.

From what I can gather we still have like 24 million of cap space left to spend. Surely that's enough to sign a Mario Williams. Schefter said he's probably going to get around 15 mill a year

They were at 26M to start. Take off 9.5 + 3M and that is 12.15M. That would bring you down to 14M or so. You also still have to sign your draft picks and other FA's.

They were at 26M to start. Take off 9.5 + 3M and that is 12.15M. That would bring you down to 14M or so. You also still have to sign your draft picks and other FA's.

Well that depends on what number you want to believe. You're still seeing a variety of different figures being thrown around, I'm not even sure what to think.

Looney thought...

What is we can convince him to a multi-year deal that is loaded in year 2? Hoping that the cap opens up next season to pay for the increase? Just a price break this season?

Pipe dream probably...

Considering the cap space we have left compared to what he'll demand, I don't blame him.

Well that depends on what number you want to believe. You're still seeing a variety of different figures being thrown around, I'm not even sure what to think.

Well let me say your looking at the wrong numbers. I dont think any body knows exactly but will all the reports Ive read, we started at 22 to 26 including forte. You subtract BM and our other signing, your way off.

Well let me say your looking at the wrong numbers. I dont think any body knows exactly but will all the reports Ive read, we started at 22 to 26 including forte. You subtract BM and our other signing, your way off.

The reports on Williams is probably true, he was at the airport but not to leave but to pick up his girlfriend. Doesnt sound likes he is leaving to me.

Ok

Yeah..?

Oh. That's interesting. Nobody knows, yet you make the declarative statement that I'm way off. Nice.

Your the only one on here that thinks we have lots of money left. I would like to say I hope your right, I have visited 10 different websites and the most I seen them list was about 26 before the signing.I am not saying they know but between all of them saying about the same money, it looks like the figures I stated for quite some time.