Cutler on ESPN

DABEARSDABOMB

- Pretty excited about Marshall.

- Indicated he talked to Marshall yesterday and Marshall is very bummed about the incident and perception but Cutler said Marshall is a good guy and Cutler will do what he needs to keep him out of the club. He said don't be too quick to judge Marshall though

- When talking to Marshall said they needed to be patient and he's going to have to work and get familiar with the offense, etc.

- They talked a bit about Weems, he didn't know much about Weems

- Talked about Eddie Royal signing with the Skins and Cutler interupted saying he had not been signed, indicated he'd love to have Royal on the Bears but it was dependent on if the price was right.

- Indicated Knox was working hard to get back.

Even if he misses 3 or 4 games or so, he'll still probably end up with 1000 yards receiving. It doesn't matter to me if the Bears did or did not know about this. I'd still probably do the trade anyways. It's not like we had to give up first round picks to acquire the guy. We got him for a pretty fair price.

Trib

"If there's one thing we know about (Bears general manager) Phil Emery, he's a detail guy," Cutler told "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on WMVP-AM 1000. "I find it very hard to believe he'd pull the trigger on this knowing that something had happened and that Brandon was at fault."

Marshall, acquired by the Bears from the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday for two third-round draft picks, has been accused of striking a woman in a New York nightclub over the weekend.

Asked if he knew any details about the incident after speaking Tuesday with Marshall, Cutler said, "I've got a good idea. Obviously, I wasn't there. ... It's all going to play out. I'm super-excited to get him.

"It's unfortunate that this came out when it did. We don't want to paint a bad picture of Brandon Marshall. Does he have a record of some stuff in the past? Absolutely. But I know him as a person, not only as a player, and he truly is a good guy. We've got a good team and we got a heck of a player."

Cutler said his "sole mission" will be to keep his friend out of potentially troublesome situations.

"He doesn't really go to the clubs at 4 a.m.," Cutler said. "I don't know how this stuff happens to him. It just does sometimes. It'll be fine. I'm fully confident in saying that.

"I talked to Brandon yesterday and I think he was bummed about it ... the perception and everything, of him getting to Chicago and that being over his head. But let's not judge him quite yet. I know he's got a checkered past and Brandon is the first one to stand up and admit that, but I know deep down he's a good guy. He's made some mistakes but going forward I see nothing but bright things for the guy."

Cutler played with Marshall with the Broncos in 2007 and '08 and said their friendship has stayed strong.

"We've remained close and we're going to get even closer now that he's back with us as a Bear," Cutler said. "I'm going to keep every eye that I have on him, making sure he's doing the right thing. ... He's matured, he wants to do the right thing. It's just a shame that his past still haunts him a little bit. But that's what happens, everyone makes mistakes, Brandon's still learning from them and growing. But we got a heck of a guy and a heck of a player, and I think Phil made quite a splash on Day One."

Cutler says he lobbied the Bears to acquire Marshall and believes the team will continue to pursue other receivers.

"I don't think we're done at that position," Cutler said. "I think we definitely want to get another one. But it's just going to come down to whether someone is available and whether Phil and the rest of the crew feels like the value is there at whatever pick we're at or whether we can get the right price. I don't think we're going to be foolish with what we're trying to do. If we can get someone to help us out on offense, I think we'll grab him."

Cutler said he talked Tuesday to another former Broncos teammate, free-agent receiver Eddie Royal, and didn't rule out the chance of the Bears making a run at him.

"I would love to see Eddie here," Cutler said. "But like I said, price and how he fits, and there are a lot of factors that go into it. It's not fantasy football where you plug people in and hope it works. ... If we get him, that would be great. I know he would fit in. He's a great teammate. It would be like old times."

Asked whether he was providing more input into the Bears' personnel decisions, Cutler said, "I don't know, but we're heading in the right direction so whatever I'm doing I might as well keep doing it.

"I think Phil the new GM is doing a great job of just addressing our needs, listening to the people that should be listened to in the organization."