Assuming Marshall's incident is valid....

Guest TerraTor

I say no. I guess it depends on the suspension. Certainly not if it's just a couple game. If it's longer, maybe I take a look at a 1-year deal for a veteran guy (Hines Ward?) to fill in, but it certainly doesn't push me to go WR at 19, unless your staff determines that's the best player available.

naw I dont think so, I'd rather they address the lines in FA...Build a stronger Oline and ride Forte while/if Marshalls out...I'd love AJ Jenkins from the Illini in the 4th or 5th round and grab a TE in the draft as well. Forte running the ball with Bennett/Hester/Jenkins/Orson Wells or Ladarius Green will be serviceable till Marshall comes back....has the schedule came out yet?

I say no. I guess it depends on the suspension. Certainly not if it's just a couple game. If it's longer, maybe I take a look at a 1-year deal for a veteran guy (Hines Ward?) to fill in, but it certainly doesn't push me to go WR at 19, unless your staff determines that's the best player available.

Exactly.

Guest TerraTor
naw I dont think so, I'd rather they address the lines in FA...Build a stronger Oline and ride Forte while/if Marshalls out...I'd love AJ Jenkins from the Illini in the 4th or 5th round and grab a TE in the draft as well. Forte running the ball with Bennett/Hester/Jenkins/Orson Wells or Ladarius Green will be serviceable till Marshall comes back....has the schedule came out yet?

Man is that group bad...

We still need two more WR's. Ideally I'd like to get someone like Eddie Royal and Stephen Hill in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft. Not sure he'll last to their 2nd round pick so they might have to trade down or up from the 2nd round to get the guy.

If you count kick returners, 2 more WR would put the Bears WR roster as:

Marshall

Bennett

WR 1

WR 2

Knox

Hester

Weems

That's 7 roster spots. I can see where the Bears could use 1 more pass catching threat and currently even have room to draft a WR, but 2 is actually putting more roster spots to the WR than they probably can afford.

Guest TerraTor
If you count kick returners, 2 more WR would put the Bears WR roster as:

Marshall

Bennett

WR 1

WR 2

Knox

Hester

Weems

That's 7 roster spots. I can see where the Bears could use 1 more pass catching threat and currently even have room to draft a WR, but 2 is actually putting more roster spots to the WR than they probably can afford.

Knox is done and weems isnt a WR (let alone hester)

Knox is done and weems isnt a WR (let alone hester)

Let's not write off Knox just yet. He may take time to heal but there is a good chance he will return, or at least I am hoping so, I kinda like the guy and hope he can make it back.

Guest TerraTor
Let's not write off Knox just yet. He may take time to heal but there is a good chance he will return, or at least I am hoping so, I kinda like the guy and hope he can make it back.

i dont dislike the guy but no chance he returns.... Man has nothing to offer but speed and now has.fused vertabrae

I'm with terra. Last night on CTL, Vaughn McClure said that right now, Knox's focus is on walking, yet alone playing football. I do not expect Knox to play football in 2012.

I certainly am not saying he will return in 2012, in fact, assuming the doctors say he will eventually return to the field, I would prefer they put him on the back shelf for a year to assure he is 100% before attempting to come back.

I certainly am not saying he will return in 2012, in fact, assuming the doctors say he will eventually return to the field, I would prefer they put him on the back shelf for a year to assure he is 100% before attempting to come back.

So lets say you don't have Knox. The wide receiving corps currently is:

Marshall

Bennett

Hester

Weems

Sanzenbacher

Am I forgetting anyone? At the very least, that means you need at least 1 more wideout. If you think weems is more of a 6th (which I've seen some people say; e.g., his value is on special teams), than that means you really have 2 spots open. However, with the money the Bears are paying Hester, I could see the argument Hester shouldn't be anything worse than a 4th. Which means I'm 50/50 on whether they will add 1 or 2 more wideouts.

They could always go 1, wait till closer to camp when they have a better sign as to what Knox will do, and pick up someone that is a veteran cap casualty around June.

Guest TerraTor
He was on a 1 year deal so a cut is not necessary, he's a not-in-demand free agent.

Thank goodness for that... he made more than double Matty's salary last year... ha! unreal

Does it force bears to draft WR at 19....and sign another capable WR

No it does not force the Bears to do anything, but the smart move is ti try and draft either Floyd or Hill for the future. Lets say Knox can't play and Marshall gets hurt ....then who do you get to fill those shoes? That why WR is a big issue....right next to LT

No it does not force the Bears to do anything, but the smart move is ti try and draft either Floyd or Hill for the future. Lets say Knox can't play and Marshall gets hurt ....then who do you get to fill those shoes? That why WR is a big issue....right next to LT

If Knox can't play right now, they're still in Ok territory, they can put Bennett, Marshall, Davis, Forte, Spaeth/fullback, and Hester/Weems/Sanzenbacher out there and that will still be a very solid core at the skill positions. Yeah, the last WR spot is a little bit iffy but you can play the matchup game there since you have both speed and hands guys.

If Marshall goes down or gets suspended, then you're in the unfortunate boat of having a weaker group...but that alone won't cost the Bears a lot of games if he misses one or two. He has played 16 games almost every year, so that's not necessarily a huge worry...but there is still room there to add in playing time for 1 more player if they want to go that way.

The Bears are going to have a lot of assets tied up in WR for the next few years with Marshall and Bennett...adding the 19th pick to that mold is a lot. If they were to trade down, maybe targeting Hill (he's supposed to be late first right?), that could be a reasonable strategy that gives a very deep WR corps.