Why is no one talking about Eddie royal??

Chitownhustla

I would have rather had Eddie Royal over Weems. We need to add a 1st or 2nd round receiver in the draft to get some young talent behind Marshall. Would have loved to have went into the season with Marshall, Hill/Wright, Bennett, and Royal as our top 4 WR's.

Tell that to Jason....lol

Tell that to Jason....lol

And it would still be a bad series of moves to get to that. Marshall, Hill/Wright, Bennett, Royal means two FAs and a high draft pick. You guys do realize the Bears have about 40 or so other positions to address, right? I'd love having that stable of WRs too, but it doesn't make sense. Essentially you'd be throwing away Knox, Hester, and Sanzenbacher. The latter I understand, but until the Bears unequivocally know Knox is out, then it is incredibly stupid for an organization to invest that much into one position. Oh, and don't forget that also means you're putting Hester at the #5 or #6 WR. That's probably not very smart either considering how explosive he is. He was on pace for another decent season before the offense went to hell.

Again, it's not smart.

And it would still be a bad series of moves to get to that. Marshall, Hill/Wright, Bennett, Royal means two FAs and a high draft pick. You guys do realize the Bears have about 40 or so other positions to address, right? I'd love having that stable of WRs too, but it doesn't make sense. Essentially you'd be throwing away Knox, Hester, and Sanzenbacher. The latter I understand, but until the Bears unequivocally know Knox is out, then it is incredibly stupid for an organization to invest that much into one position. Oh, and don't forget that also means you're putting Hester at the #5 or #6 WR. That's probably not very smart either considering how explosive he is. He was on pace for another decent season before the offense went to hell.

Again, it's not smart.

Agreed...

It's actually possible that the Bears want to take a WR highly in the draft and actually have playing time for him in order to develop someone along with Cutler...and if they actually want to develop a player, then Royal would honestly be in the way.

Exactly. They have BM. Now if they still feel it's a need, the situation should be either one more FA, OR a draft pick. Both is stupid. For various reasons.

Exactly. They have BM. Now if they still feel it's a need, the situation should be either one more FA, OR a draft pick. Both is stupid. For various reasons.

The fact that they signed Marshall doesn't change the fact that Lovie was dining with WR's at the combine. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they wanted to draft a WR now and figured that his playing time will grow as the season goes on.

Actually its not stupid......if they had signed Royal instead of Weems that would give us Knox, Hester, Bennett, Royal, Marshall and the other draft pick Floyd/Hill. Giving us a good WR group to match us with the Packers group of Driver, Jones, Jennings, Nelson, Gurley and Cobb

Actually its not stupid......if they had signed Royal instead of Weems that would give us Knox, Hester, Bennett, Royal, Marshall and the other draft pick Floyd/Hill. Giving us a good WR group to match us with the Packers group of Driver, Jones, Jennings, Nelson, Gurley and Cobb

One big difference though is that the Packers don't have the running back/running game that the Bears have. The Bears rushed for 500 yards more than the Packers last year, and that was with Forte missing a chunk of the year. The Packers can get everyone touches in that WR corps because they are much less effective running the ball.

One big difference though is that the Packers don't have the running back/running game that the Bears have. The Bears rushed for 500 yards more than the Packers last year, and that was with Forte missing a chunk of the year. The Packers can get everyone touches in that WR corps because they are much less effective running the ball.

So yes that difference you just stated will make us a better team. We dont need to have everyone with touches but our play calling will give the needed guys the right amount of touches. Hester's role would be more on special teams anyway. But that would give us a chance to stay with and beat the Packers.

Sorry. It's still stupid. The Bears' WRs don't directly match up against the Packers' WRs. Their offenses are different. It's just a pointless comparison.

#1-Marshall

#2-#6: Bennett, Knox, Hester, Floyd/Hill, Royal

That leaves you with a situation where either Marshall doesn't get the touches a #1 should get, or Royal/Bennett/Knox/Hester don't get the touches they need to develop further, or Bennett doesn't get the touches needed for a guy with such great chemistry with the QB, or Knox/Hester/Royal don't get the touches ideal for such explosive players, or a rookie 2st round WR doesn't get the touches required to develop and live up to his draft status.

The Bears can't throw the ball to those 6 WRs and maximize their potential. Much less satisfy the players. Unless, of course, you want to never throw to the RB, never throw to the TE, and minimize at least two of the WRs on roster. The ONLY way what you're saying makes sense is if the Bears know Knox is done, and they are completely done with the idea of Hester as a WR. The former we don't know yet, and the latter is obviously not accurate. They will not push Hester to the #5/#6 WR. He is at least the #4. Period. Similarly, they won't spend a first rounder on a WR and push him down the depth chart. That's just straight up stupid. So, please, who in your magical scenario gets dumped down the depth chart? Let's assume Knox is gone (we don't really know), that leaves you with your 5 guys of Hester, Bennett, Royal, Marshall, and Floyd/Hill; what's the depth chart?

Again, it's not smart.

Really? How much money do you think Eddie Royal is going to get? The Bears came into this offseason needing a minimum of 2 WR's. So far they've only got one and I'm not counting Weems as a receiver because he's not any good. He's strictly a special teamer. You can't count on Knox being there for the season and to be a productive player even if he does. Completely healthy he was only an average WR with some serious flaws. Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall have true chemistry with Cutler. If you were able to add him to go along with a young draft pick in one of the 1st 2 rounds of the draft, you have done everything you needed to do to solidify your greatest weakness. Not to mention, we are going to need a security blanket in case Marshall ends up being suspended for 4-8 games or so.

Really? How much money do you think Eddie Royal is going to get? The Bears came into this offseason needing a minimum of 2 WR's. So far they've only got one and I'm not counting Weems as a receiver because he's not any good. He's strictly a special teamer. You can't count on Knox being there for the season and to be a productive player even if he does. Completely healthy he was only an average WR with some serious flaws. Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall have true chemistry with Cutler. If you were able to add him to go along with a young draft pick in one of the 1st 2 rounds of the draft, you have done everything you needed to do to solidify your greatest weakness. Not to mention, we are going to need a security blanket in case Marshall ends up being suspended for 4-8 games or so.

No problem with Royal.

No problem with a high draft pick WR.

Big problem with getting both. That's where it doesn't make sense. That means one WR gets lost in the wash.

If that means Devin Hester gets to go back to being a full time special teams player, then that is fantastic. Could not care less if he got another snap as a WR. Royal and a high draft pick are clear upgrades over him.

And if that's your opinion, it's valid. I happen to disagree, and I'm pretty sure management disagrees considering his salary (7.5M+ cap hit this year), but it's understandable.

And if that's your opinion, it's valid. I happen to disagree, and I'm pretty sure management disagrees considering his salary (7.5M+ cap hit this year), but it's understandable.

Marshal

Bennet- he is being paid pretty well, he should be the number two, when Cutler was in he and Bennet really played well together

Knox- major concern that he will not be able to play next year or if he plays will he be gun shy

Sanzenbacher- needs to up his game if he is going to get playing time

Hester- alot of people think he should be on SP Teams only with the amount of money he is being paid he should be the 2 or 3

I dont thing Eddie Royal will be too costly to add. I think if he could be signed to a low contract it makes sense. Then when draft time comes, WR is not as big of a need. that way they could really go OL and D in the first 3 rounds. If knox can not go we will be in need of another WR. Cutler and Royal put up good numbers together. After Cutler left Royal's production went down.

I would be pretty happy with Marshal, Bennet, Royal and Hester as our 4 Wr with Knox and Sanzbacher as the 5 and 6. If Knox will be able to play then maybe Royal is not needed. But if you think one WR may go down then having Royal would be huge. Also what if marshal is out for the first couple of games??

Too me this should not even be a debate. Look how the great organizations are run - they often do not over spend in FA and draft well. It's great to have a bunch of very good receivers aka Green Gay but they are a very flawed team that is covered up by a great passing attack. Who do you want leading the offense? I think we all know how far our team will go if we have our 3rd string QB handing off to our 3rd sting RB again this year (we will be watching the Packers and Lions in the playoffs again - I am not okay with this scenario).

At this point I am very optimistic on the WR group now that we have a clear big no. 1 in B-Marsh. BM is a great all around threat, Bennett will be a Booker-esque slot guy and assuming Knox is healthy, he is best suited for taking a lid of the DEF and not going over the middle. He simply is a finesse WR with great speed. Not sure if Hester is even a good option anywhere as he does not track the ball particularly well on deep passes (drops) and not a great slot route runner but serviceable 4th WR option. Don't underestimate Kellen Davis who has the skills to be an effective pass catching TE. Tice will utilize him this year more appropriately.

The best way Emery can smartly / efficiently upgrade this team is through the draft and with a few stop gap FA to fill out the roster (CB, DE etc). I know, it is not sexy but a GM needs to have roster integrity and that is why I personally would like a minimum of three linemen drafted in the first 4 rounds (2 OL and a DE) with CB, LB and WR as later considerations based on best player available. I also would not at all mind a trade down at 19, if one of the TOP LT / DE is not there and than maybe select the top Centers and Guards in back to back picks then focus on our other areas of need / depth. This team can not afford any more reaches in the top 3 rounds! I like Hill but not in the First. Think TEBOW in the first, STUPID!!!

I would have loved to get Mario Williams ( HE would have been the GREAT Equalizer to GB, not more WR's) but then we would have been financially overly stressed like that of the Redskins annually are. Since we did not get super Mario, it will not impact us negatively and no need to worry because he is in the AFC with the Billies...Mario should have went to CANADA if they would have payed the most cause he has the same chance of getting to a SB now!!.

Top Organizations have and maintain roster / cap integrity and flexibility. Remember, you almost always overpay in free agency and to become a solid franchise like the Steelers / Ravens etc you need to improve your ability to draft quality players that will be around for several years. This is exactly why we needed a change at GM and why Emery was hired.

Agree Parker!

If the Bears sign Royal, which I wouldn't hate, then I don't see them drafting a WR unless its after RD4. I think we need to find one in the draft and develop, like Hill, Marvin Jones, or Justin Criner. We are all ready to demote Hester to ST's only, but I think he will still play quite a bit as the #3 lined up in the slot. With Hester coming out of the slot, he will see he can get seperation and exploit LB's and S's with his speed.

In the draft, I really see the Bears addressing 3 positions off the bat....DE/WR/OLT in BPA order. Then finding CB/S/LB/TE later.

As for Weeps, he will never see the field as a WR unless it's due to injury. He is a great ST and if I remember right, ST's is part of the game?! Lovie has proved his formula of playing great ST's can win football games and that move was worth the coin.

In FA, the Bears will still toy with adding a replacement for Barber like Bush, Okoye at DT or Spice Adams, Wimberly if he becomes available for DE, Hayden at CB, possibly a S, and maybe an improvement on the oline. I'm not saying all those positions, but what comes at the right price. Emery is a believer in the draft, so it might get real quite for a month or so.