Why is no one talking about Eddie royal??

Chitownhustla

What other holes are we going to fill in free agency? Everyone that was actually good has either signed already or is about to sign with another team. We missed out on some good guards that were available when Carl Nicks and Benn Grubbs signed contracts. There aren't any big money left tackles in the free agent pool this year, and unless Kamerion Wimbley gets released, the free agent pass rushing pool is lack luster at best. We're sitting on roughly $16 million of cap space. Royal has since signed a 3 year 12 million dollar contract. 6 mil guaranteed. A harmless knockoff to our cap space.

All that's important is that we get our #2 receiver in the draft. We went into the offseason needing a #1 and a #2. We got the 1. I'd be thrilled with Stephen Hill, who could come in and be the speed receiver at 6'4. And we will have time to let him develop with Marshall and Bennett likely to take most of the pressure away from everyone else.

Agree Parker!

If the Bears sign Royal, which I wouldn't hate, then I don't see them drafting a WR unless its after RD4. I think we need to find one in the draft and develop, like Hill, Marvin Jones, or Justin Criner. We are all ready to demote Hester to ST's only, but I think he will still play quite a bit as the #3 lined up in the slot. With Hester coming out of the slot, he will see he can get seperation and exploit LB's and S's with his speed.

In the draft, I really see the Bears addressing 3 positions off the bat....DE/WR/OLT in BPA order. Then finding CB/S/LB/TE later.

As for Weeps, he will never see the field as a WR unless it's due to injury. He is a great ST and if I remember right, ST's is part of the game?! Lovie has proved his formula of playing great ST's can win football games and that move was worth the coin.

In FA, the Bears will still toy with adding a replacement for Barber like Bush, Okoye at DT or Spice Adams, Wimberly if he becomes available for DE, Hayden at CB, possibly a S, and maybe an improvement on the oline. I'm not saying all those positions, but what comes at the right price. Emery is a believer in the draft, so it might get real quite for a month or so.

I am on board with trying to bring in / back these types of FA. Hopefully Hayden is healthy cause we could sure use the help as he has good size and is suited for Levies scheme. Okoye, yes definitely think he is worth bringing back. Honestly not sure why Bush would want to come to Chicago but if he was the same price or less than Barber than I would have no problem. Wimbley, have not seen if he has been released but you can never have enough pass rushers.

When az, Parker, and Ashkum all agree with me, then I know it's a rock solid case I'm arguing.

Another mid/top tier FA WR + Draft early round WR = Stupid.

Case closed.

Case not closed if you read what they wrote they said (Ashkum and Parker) that they would take another wr in the draft. They said maybe not in RD 1 but they would maybe draft another WR in different rounds....so its not stupid.Remember we have and older defense(still good with all the starters coming back) and the only thing keep this team from being great is the offense. We have stocked the QB position trying with the RB position (looking at Bush) working on the defense some...and the boss said he is going to fill the needs of linemen in the draft and maybe another WR. So do you see where this teams is going? I do we are going to be a shootout team like the Packers and Saints.....but with a better defense. If we scored like the Packers and Saints we would have been in the SuperBowl

ASHKUM said this

If the Bears sign Royal, which I wouldn't hate, then I don't see them drafting a WR unless its after RD4. I think we need to find one in the draft and develop, like Hill, Marvin Jones, or Justin Criner. We are all ready to demote Hester to ST's only, but I think he will still play quite a bit as the #3 lined up in the slot. With Hester coming out of the slot, he will see he can get seperation and exploit LB's and S's with his speed.

Parker said this

The best way Emery can smartly / efficiently upgrade this team is through the draft and with a few stop gap FA to fill out the roster (CB, DE etc). I know, it is not sexy but a GM needs to have roster integrity and that is why I personally would like a minimum of three linemen drafted in the first 4 rounds (2 OL and a DE) with CB, LB and WR as later considerations based on best player available. I also would not at all mind a trade down at 19, if one of the TOP LT / DE is not there and than maybe select the top Centers and Guards in back to back picks then focus on our other areas of need / depth. This team can not afford any more reaches in the top 3 rounds! I like Hill but not in the First. Think TEBOW in the first, STUPID!!!

Case not closed if you read what they wrote they said (Ashkum and Parker) that they would take another wr in the draft. They said maybe not in RD 1 but they would maybe draft another WR in different rounds....so its not stupid.Remember we have and older defense(still good with all the starters coming back) and the only thing keep this team from being great is the offense. We have stocked the QB position trying with the RB position (looking at Bush) working on the defense some...and the boss said he is going to fill the needs of linemen in the draft and maybe another WR. So do you see where this teams is going? I do we are going to be a shootout team like the Packers and Saints.....but with a better defense. If we scored like the Packers and Saints we would have been in the SuperBowl

ASHKUM said this

Parker said this

The best way Emery can smartly / efficiently upgrade this team is through the draft and with a few stop gap FA to fill out the roster (CB, DE etc). I know, it is not sexy but a GM needs to have roster integrity and that is why I personally would like a minimum of three linemen drafted in the first 4 rounds (2 OL and a DE) with CB, LB and WR as later considerations based on best player available. I also would not at all mind a trade down at 19, if one of the TOP LT / DE is not there and than maybe select the top Centers and Guards in back to back picks then focus on our other areas of need / depth. This team can not afford any more reaches in the top 3 rounds! I like Hill but not in the First. Think TEBOW in the first, STUPID!!!

Dude, are you not reading the actual messages in their entirety? Are you just glaring over everything that doesn't jibe with your thougts? Seriously, reread the entire thread and actually grasp what is being discussed. I've highlighted the key point of each of the above comments for you. But feel free to read everything from beginning to end again.

Parker, Ashkum, az, and I all said either a FA like Royal, or a high draft pick, makes sense. But not both. Nobody is arguining against another FA and a late round WR prospect.

What you are saying: OMG BOTH! This doesn't make sense for a team that actually wants to have pro-level starters at every position.

Dude, are you not reading the actual messages in their entirety? Are you just glaring over everything that doesn't jibe with your thougts? Seriously, reread the entire thread and actually grasp what is being discussed. I've highlighted the key point of each of the above comments for you. But feel free to read everything from beginning to end again.

Parker, Ashkum, az, and I all said either a FA like Royal, or a high draft pick, makes sense. But not both. Nobody is arguining against another FA and a late round WR prospect.

What you are saying: OMG BOTH! This doesn't make sense for a team that actually wants to have pro-level starters at every position.

I think you need to reread and remember that your whole arguement was that the Bears would not be getting three WR. No matter how you try to put your spin on it.......they got Marshall, Weems and may draft another. That is what I have been saying this whole time, just in another way. Like Jackson, Robinson(cheap) and the draft of Floyd/Hill. Either way if we draft one in the first RD of fifth we drafted another WR...which was my point to begin with. But i wanted three big tall WR to go with Hester, Bennett, and Knox not three more smurfs! So you draft your team and I'll do mine and we will beat yours 45-.20 cause you cant stop my WR's.....lol

I think you need to reread and remember that your whole arguement was that the Bears would not be getting three WR. No matter how you try to put your spin on it.......they got Marshall, Weems and may draft another. That is what I have been saying this whole time, just in another way. Like Jackson, Robinson(cheap) and the draft of Floyd/Hill. Either way if we draft one in the first RD of fifth we drafted another WR...which was my point to begin with. But i wanted three big tall WR to go with Hester, Bennett, and Knox not three more smurfs! So you draft your team and I'll do mine and we will beat yours 45-.20 cause you cant stop my WR's.....lol

Sorry I didn't feel like writing a dissertation every time I posted on the forum. Sometimes you have read into posts. I'm not spinning, just using common sense. It's so common that everyone on the board other than you and maybe one other agrees with it. It's so common that even az agrees with me. That doesn't happen often. No matter how many times you reply, you're wrong and the idea is stupid.

1. Weems does not factor into the conversation. His position may as well be ST, and not WR.

1a. Marshall+Weems+Floyd/Hill Marshall+Robinson+Floyd/Hill.

1b. Put another way, WR+ST+1st round WR WR+ST+Later than 4th round WR

1c. Put another way, WR+ST+WR WR+WR+WR

1d. Put another way, #1 WR+ #7WR + #2 WR #1 WR + #2 WR + #2 WR

1e. Put another way, $$$$+¢¢¢+$$$ $$$$+$$$+$$$

And just so you know, if our fictitious teams played each other you'd lose something like 24-14, because my OL would road-grade your depleted DL (because you've spent 1/3 your salary cap on WRs), and your arsenal of tall WRs would barely be on the field because we'd control the TOP by an ample margin. And when your WRs were on the field, they'd see the ball infrequently because Webb is still protecting your QB's blindside, the interior OL would still be weak, your QB would be back-peddaling by the 3rd quarter, and he there's a decent chance he wouldn't be in the game in the 4th quarter because the weak OL and weakened running game (because you invested so much on WRs) would not keep the defense honest.

I believed he either signed or is closing in on a deal with the Dallas Cowboys.

He signed in Dallas a day or two ago.

As for your post a few posts ago, I believe the Bears will go after Wimbley, and if he doesn't sign, they'll probably sign a veteran DE or LB. After that, they'll use the rest for the rookies.