We need another WR

Wesson44

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...story?track=rss

Cutler says he lobbied the Bears to acquire Marshall and believes the team will continue to pursue other receivers.

"I don't think we're done at that position," Cutler said. "I think we definitely want to get another one. But it's just going to come down to whether someone is available and whether Phil and the rest of the crew feels like the value is there at whatever pick we're at or whether we can get the right price. I don't think we're going to be foolish with what we're trying to do. If we can get someone to help us out on offense, I think we'll grab him."

Cutler said he talked Tuesday to another former Broncos teammate, free-agent receiver Eddie Royal, and didn't rule out the chance of the Bears making a run at him.

"I would love to see Eddie here," Cutler said. "But like I said, price and how he fits, and there are a lot of factors that go into it. It's not fantasy football where you plug people in and hope it works. ... If we get him, that would be great. I know he would fit in. He's a great teammate. It would be like old times."

Asked whether he was providing more input into the Bears' personnel decisions, Cutler said, "I don't know, but we're heading in the right direction so whatever I'm doing I might as well keep doing it.

Of course Cutler wants the Bears to pick up his friend, his former teammate, and another WR. He wants to win, but at the same time he wants to put up individual stats. Why? Because it helps him get bigger, better contracts. This is not rocket science.

Of course Cutler wants the Bears to pick up his friend, his former teammate, and another WR. He wants to win, but at the same time he wants to put up individual stats. Why? Because it helps him get bigger, better contracts. This is not rocket science.

UUUUUmmmmm yes you are right, but it just goes to show you that we do need another WR like I have been saying to you. There is no better proof than your starting QB telling you he needs weapons 6'2 and above. And the only reason we signed the 5'9 Weems was for special teams not to play WR. Now watch if the value is right we will add another WR in FA or the draft to replace the ones (3) we lost [Williams,Hurd and Knox( if he cant play)]. It is only football sense to get the best players you need to match up the others. If we have three guys 6'4 at WR we will the battle against guys 5'10 to 5'11 at CB. This also will allow our QB not to have to fit the ball into such tight windows with the smaller WR. And yes he wants to win with good players not lose with scrubs.Wanting his friend on the team is a plus for us.........because the QB coach is J.Bates and now you have all three togethher again, so they know each other of what they can do and not do. But like I have been saying we need the other WR to take pressure of the number 1 so teams can't just straight double team him..So in the 4 WR set if you double the two outside guys because the short CB's need help and place the nickel on the slot.....who covers the other WR in the other slot? Answer a LB....MISMATCH!!!!!!!

UUUUUmmmmm yes you are right, but it just goes to show you that we do need another WR like I have been saying to you. There is no better proof than your starting QB telling you he needs weapons 6'2 and above. And the only reason we signed the 5'9 Weems was for special teams not to play WR. Now watch if the value is right we will add another WR in FA or the draft to replace the ones (3) we lost [Williams,Hurd and Knox( if he cant play)]. It is only football sense to get the best players you need to match up the others. If we have three guys 6'4 at WR we will the battle against guys 5'10 to 5'11 at CB. This also will allow our QB not to have to fit the ball into such tight windows with the smaller WR. And yes he wants to win with good players not lose with scrubs.Wanting his friend on the team is a plus for us.........because the QB coach is J.Bates and now you have all three togethher again, so they know each other of what they can do and not do. But like I have been saying we need the other WR to take pressure of the number 1 so teams can't just straight double team him..So in the 4 WR set if you double the two outside guys because the short CB's need help and place the nickel on the slot.....who covers the other WR in the other slot? Answer a LB....MISMATCH!!!!!!!

Wesson you have been all over the place with this!! In this 4 WR set you mention where is the TE you say should handle the middle and Matt Forte? If a team plays a nickel or dime package there won't be many LBs on the field.The mismatch would have to come against a safety, dime or nickel.

BTW what team has 3 6-4 WRs?

Wesson you have been all over the place with this!! In this 4 WR set you mention where is the TE you say should handle the middle and Matt Forte? If a team plays a nickel or dime package there won't be many LBs on the field.The mismatch would have to come against a safety, dime or nickel.

There is no TE in the 4 wide set but the RB is there. In the nickel there are 5 DB, if two double the left guy and two double the right guys that leave two slot WR with one DB on them. So you have to use a LB on him. Out of the shotgun if the back went in motion you now have a % wide set with a lb covering a WR and a RB.

Have you not seen the Packers run these two sets against us time and time again and we cant stop it? I dont think that there are many teams with three 6'4 WR but we could have two in Marshall and Floyd/Hill if we draft one of them.

Tag, you're it. You can try to convince him it's a horrible idea to go out and get Royal and THEN still get a first round WR. One? Sure. Both. Stupid.

Tag, you're it. You can try to convince him it's a horrible idea to go out and get Royal and THEN still get a first round WR. One? Sure. Both. Stupid.

The reason you cant convince me is because I have seen it work time and time again. I didnt say we need to get Royal but say if we had gotten him instead of Weems. Either way we have 6 WR on the team and I would rather have a bigger, faster WR like Floyd/Hill rather than sanzenbacher or Komar. We need that to take pressure off of Marshall

There are not alot of teams that have 3 6'4 guys but there are a few teams that have two.

The reason you cant convince me is because I have seen it work time and time again. I didnt say we need to get Royal but say if we had gotten him instead of Weems. Either way we have 6 WR on the team and I would rather have a bigger, faster WR like Floyd/Hill rather than sanzenbacher or Komar. We need that to take pressure off of Marshall

I think you've seen a team have lots of WRs who are good, but you've ignored various other parts of the team that also help the team be good and maximize the opportunities for the WRs to be good. Weems doesn't even factor into the discussion.

I think you've seen a team have lots of WRs who are good, but you've ignored various other parts of the team that also help the team be good and maximize the opportunities for the WRs to be good. Weems doesn't even factor into the discussion.

Yes I have seen alot of teams that are good with good WR's....but you are also forgetting or fail to assume that that is all I was saying. Yes i know we have holes in this team, but the holes can be filled with other less costly FA and in the draft. But when you have top notch WR onthe market you need to take a look at them get a one or two if you can. We have a glaring need at WR, OT and in the secondary...I was saying that since we lost two WR maybe a third(Knox we need to restock with better guys and guys that create a mismaych for the other team. Marshall was a good pick up to replace R. Williams, Weems was a replacemant for Hurd but I would have gotten a better WR instead cause we have Hester/Bennett that can return kick ofsf and punts. Then drafting Floyd/Hill would put us in goos shape for now and the future, then we can focus on the line secondary and linebackers. But you want to get proven players instead of rookies sometimes at positions due to the fact that you might just adjust in less time a vet rather than teach a rookie over the years.

There is no TE in the 4 wide set but the RB is there. In the nickel there are 5 DB, if two double the left guy and two double the right guys that leave two slot WR with one DB on them. So you have to use a LB on him. Out of the shotgun if the back went in motion you now have a % wide set with a lb covering a WR and a RB.

Have you not seen the Packers run these two sets against us time and time again and we cant stop it? I dont think that there are many teams with three 6'4 WR but we could have two in Marshall and Floyd/Hill if we draft one of them.

In case you missed this MARTZ is gone, TICE will use the TE's this year....

In case you missed this MARTZ is gone, TICE will use the TE's this year....

I didnt miss Martz being gone, but you are not seeing the bigger picture. 2,3,4,5 WR sets are being used in the NFL all day everyday. The question was asked where is the TE in a 4 WR set. And the answer is there is no TE in this set. There are four WR the QB and a RB and in the % wide the RB is spread out or replaced with a WR.

I didnt miss Martz being gone, but you are not seeing the bigger picture. 2,3,4,5 WR sets are being used in the NFL all day everyday. The question was asked where is the TE in a 4 WR set. And the answer is there is no TE in this set. There are four WR the QB and a RB and in the % wide the RB is spread out or replaced with a WR.

And Jay Cutler has 0.68 seconds to throw the ball before getting sacked.

And Jay Cutler has 0.68 seconds to throw the ball before getting sacked.

Ha it took Manning Brees, Rodgers, Brady and a few others 0.68 to get sacked uuuummm yes you are right. But what you don't understand is that when you use these sets you already know you are going to throw the ball quickly...thats why you spread the defense out......so they cant rush and bring the house.....and if they do.. one quick pass can go for 20+ yards everytime!!!!

Ha it took Manning Brees, Rodgers, Brady and a few others 0.68 to get sacked uuuummm yes you are right. But what you don't understand is that when you use these sets you already know you are going to throw the ball quickly...thats why you spread the defense out......so they cant rush and bring the house.....and if they do.. one quick pass can go for 20+ yards everytime!!!!

Yeah, but the Bears don't have an obvious #1 wide receiver who you can count on to be open after a half second.

Oh..WAIT!!!!!

Bears OL

Bears WRs

Bears QB

Please stop with the nonsensical comparisons to teams that are clearly more qualified, in mulitiple ways, to exploit defenses with 4 and 5 WR sets. Ideal world, we agree with you. It'd be great to throw out a ton of weapons and say, "I dare you to cover them!" But this is not an ideal world, and the Bears don't have the tools the other teams have.

Bears can just wait till the 3rd or after to get their WR, a guy like Toon or AJ Jenkins and they'll be fine. I think the addition of BM will pay huge dividends to the rest of the WR core, I think Bennett and even Hester will both have good years. With Martz gone and Tice running the O we're gonna see Davis catch a lot more balls this year too.

I can realistically see.

BM 1300 yds

Bennett 800yds

Davis 500yds

Hester 600yds

Forte 400yds

Thats 3600 yards not including Sanz, Spath, backup RBs, and your #5 WR (weather that be a cheap FA OR a late round draft pick)

So give me a cheap FA WR or go draft one in the late rounds, no need for both.

Wesson do me a favor please look up the success that true JR WRs have when they leave early and go to the NFL.This relates strictly to Hill of 28 career collegiate receptions.I truly don't think Floyd will make it to 19. Hill is too much of a question mark and risk to take at 19. He is Heyward-Bey to me. There are some prospects who may not have the 40 times of Hill and Floyd that can be had after the first and second and Jerry Rice proved that 40 times are overrated.

Screw the Packers, they are not the defending SB champions anymore so who cares what they run. BTW don't they struggle to score against us most of the time?

Wesson do me a favor please look up the success that true JR WRs have when they leave early and go to the NFL.This relates strictly to Hill of 28 career collegiate receptions.I truly don't think Floyd will make it to 19. Hill is too much of a question mark and risk to take at 19. He is Heyward-Bey to me. There are some prospects who may not have the 40 times of Hill and Floyd that can be had after the first and second and Jerry Rice proved that 40 times are overrated.

Screw the Packers, they are not the defending SB champions anymore so who cares what they run. BTW don't they struggle to score against us most of the time?

Since you and I are draftniks, in what order do you like the WRs this year?

For me I think Blackmon will be good but not his first year.

I think Floyd and Wright have some risks but the upside is there.

As for other WRs I think Randle could have the best numbers of any rookie coming in.

Hill could turn into a Sidney Rice, goods tools but doesnt really produce as we expect.

I think Brian Quick could be a suprize lower round pick.

Since you and I are draftniks, in what order do you like the WRs this year?

For me I think Blackmon will be good but not his first year.

I think Floyd and Wright have some risks but the upside is there.

As for other WRs I think Randle could have the best numbers of any rookie coming in.

Hill could turn into a Sidney Rice, goods tools but doesnt really produce as we expect.

I think Brian Quick could be a suprize lower round pick.

Blackmon will succeed based on where he goes if that is St Louis he might struggle initially but the fact that his career numbers have surpassed Dez Bryant's at Stillwater projects well on the next level. The key will be the health of RB Jackson who can open the field up for all the WRs.

Floyd's injury history as well as his multiple drinking related problems worry me with him getting big bonus money. The fact that he ran in the 4.47 at his playing weight doesn't hurt his stock

Hill just reminds me of Darius Hayward-Bey who rose dramatically during the Combine but has yet to make those numbers translate to success in the NFL.Then you look at Ga Tech's option offense you have to do a helluva projection based on what you think and not what you see on film.Translation a gamble

Quick has to be looked at like former Appalachian St WR Dexter Jackson a 2008 2nd rd pick of the Bucs.He has the size but does his level of competition hold him back from translating to a solid pro in the NFL.

Randle is a guy I'm high on but like Hill he played in a run heavy offense but, I saw him in games make some very clutch catches in big games. He seems very similar to Bowe in size and potential.

I would be a big hippocrate if I didn't mention the prospect who I drooled over all season who seems to be dropping down some draft boards and that is Alshon Jeffrey. I think the kid has stud potential but may need to prove that he can do more than sideline routes which puts him in the Randy Moss mode with less speed.

I also have talked up the Illini WR AJ Jenkins who led the big 10 in receptions on a terrible team with a run/pass QB in Scheelhase.(sp?)

I also think mid to late round prospects like Marvin Jones of Cal and Dwight Jones of UNC also can be good pickups if other positions are being addressed first.

Yes i get and see your points but we truely need another WR opposite of Marshall. We need a bigger target for Cutler than the 5'11 guys we have. True indeed there may be a better playess than Floyd/Hill in the draft but you cant discount the numbers they put up and their size. This whole thing has gotten out of control and our different views have taken over in place of reason. The reason I was on board with getting three WR in the first place was this......We didnt have a true#1 WR, Hurd/Williams gone, Knox hurt might not play so thats three WR that you may or will be missing. I would wait until camp and see about Knox....if not good then he goes on IR for the year. Now you have a hole to replace....if not think about it this way...........if You had a serious back injury and came back to play would you be your regluar self........or MORE prone to protect yourself. ( That means scared to go over the middle, alliagator arms, shying away from contact...do you want that out of a starting WR??? But either way we got Marshall, signed Weems(for Hurd) but we could use another WR either FA or the draft a taller on like Cutler asked for 6'2 and above. But i never said we need to get three in FA and the drat another one...that I agree would be crazy for what our team still needs and holes yet filled. WR,OT,DE CB,LB are the positions I see us drafting this year.

Yes i get and see your points but we truely need another WR opposite of Marshall. We need a bigger target for Cutler than the 5'11 guys we have. True indeed there may be a better playess than Floyd/Hill in the draft but you cant discount the numbers they put up and their size. This whole thing has gotten out of control and our different views have taken over in place of reason. The reason I was on board with getting three WR in the first place was this......We didnt have a true#1 WR, Hurd/Williams gone, Knox hurt might not play so thats three WR that you may or will be missing. I would wait until camp and see about Knox....if not good then he goes on IR for the year. Now you have a hole to replace....if not think about it this way...........if You had a serious back injury and came back to play would you be your regluar self........or MORE prone to protect yourself. ( That means scared to go over the middle, alliagator arms, shying away from contact...do you want that out of a starting WR??? But either way we got Marshall, signed Weems(for Hurd) but we could use another WR either FA or the draft a taller on like Cutler asked for 6'2 and above. But i never said we need to get three in FA and the drat another one...that I agree would be crazy for what our team still needs and holes yet filled. WR,OT,DE CB,LB are the positions I see us drafting this year.

Your obsession with height is bizarre at times.

Your obsession with height is bizarre at times.

Well not really, if I line up at WR two or three guys that are 6'4 against the average CB/saftey at 5'11 who has a better chance of making a catch. The tall WR also allows the QB to not always be perfect in his throws because a bigger WR has a wider wing span than a shorter guy. Now do you perfer Hester/knox or bennett running the fade route or jump ball at the goal line....advantage DM at 6'4.....Do you remember playing with your kids (if you have them) and holding the ball over your head so they cant get it because you were taller than them....ha ha ha. The height just opens our QB and WR to do more in the passing game thantey have done with the smurfs we have in Hester,Bennett and Knox.

Well not really, if I line up at WR two or three guys that are 6'4 against the average CB/saftey at 5'11 who has a better chance of making a catch. The tall WR also allows the QB to not always be perfect in his throws because a bigger WR has a wider wing span than a shorter guy. Now do you perfer Hester/knox or bennett running the fade route or jump ball at the goal line....advantage DM at 6'4.....Do you remember playing with your kids (if you have them) and holding the ball over your head so they cant get it because you were taller than them....ha ha ha. The height just opens our QB and WR to do more in the passing game thantey have done with the smurfs we have in Hester,Bennett and Knox.

I dont consider any of them three as smurfs. 5'11", 6',6' are generally not considered that. Weems, 5'9" thats a smurf. What we need is someone that streches the field, of which Hill could do that. I think Hill would be a good pick but not at 19. He will take time to develope and we need more of an impact right away.I would prefer Wright if Floyd is not available at that spot. The problem is I think someone of more of an impact will be there ,not a WR.

Thing is, a healthy balance is best. One or two big recievers is all anyone would to create mismatches. There are advantages to having smurfs as well. They can sit in holes, cut and accellerate faster. I'm thrilled we got Marshall and am in the minority of wanting Roy back.(incentive driven contract only) But, Bennett has his niche and Hester/Knox have their field streching ability. Lastly, big receivers that are skilled are NOT a dime a dozen. Sometimes the value is in the smaller guy.