Looks like Wimbley to be released...

madlithuanian

I saw him live in the Oakland game, and he terrorized the Bears OL. He was constantly getting double-teamed, chipped a few times, but generally pushed his side of the OL into the backfield on just about every play. On top of that he had the long INT return on the tipped ball...but got ran down by Lance Louis.

From that one game, I'd say it's hard to tell, but that's only because the Bears OL sucked so bad. He did look fast on the rush though.

Sounds like he'd be a decent part of the mix...as long as the price is right.

I saw him live in the Oakland game, and he terrorized the Bears OL. He was constantly getting double-teamed, chipped a few times, but generally pushed his side of the OL into the backfield on just about every play. On top of that he had the long INT return on the tipped ball...but got ran down by Lance Louis.

From that one game, I'd say it's hard to tell, but that's only because the Bears OL sucked so bad. He did look fast on the rush though.

he was that guy!!!!! freak he looked good, that was the start of out line going down the drain tho.

In doing a quick read on him, he looks to be a solid player. Projected out of college as an OLB (as opposed to the DE he was in college) ideal for a 3-4 defense due to "his lack of size". Went to Cleveland for his first four years playing OLB. Then two seasons ago, joined Oakland as a DE in a 4-3 defense (of which he was more accustomed). In his career he's averaged about 7.1ish sacks and 61-62 tackles. I think given his age (compared to Idonije) and that Izzy can rotate to DT I say "why not"? Sounds like someone who would do great in Chicago and other posters are right about him, he has a motor that won't quit.

How good is this guy?? Anyone have an idea for how much it would cost to get him??

He's had 2 big games against the Bears. Dude is physically superior to any of our other ends. Very good athlete and very good pass rusher. Put him opposite of Pepp and I wouldn't be surprised if he racked up 12-13 sacks. Guy can play. Probowl type talent but not yet a pro bowl player (who knows if he'll be one). He's above average and while I wouldn't give the house to him, I'd give him 7-8M.

He's had 2 big games against the Bears. Dude is physically superior to any of our other ends. Very good athlete and very good pass rusher. Put him opposite of Pepp and I wouldn't be surprised if he racked up 12-13 sacks. Guy can play. Probowl type talent but not yet a pro bowl player (who knows if he'll be one). He's above average and while I wouldn't give the house to him, I'd give him 7-8M.

We need to have his number on speed dail or be standing at his front door when the axe falls on him from the Raiders.!!!!!!

LOL...with the Bears so tight lipped what does he know? Nothing

Well the fact it is his job to cover the Bears and he has built up relationships with people in the organization, so somebody has given him reason to believe that we arent interested. I think I may believe him over you thinking were signing everybody that breathes. We have around 10 mil left in cap space after signing Stelz, and about 4 to 5 is going to rookies, so we aint signing him for a 5 mil contract, get real.

According to Canfora, our updated cap figure is Chicago: $12,878,335 Million, but that is just one source and what does it include?

It was mentioned very early in conversations about free agency that last year Wimbley was a major interest to the Bears and Lovie but stayed with Oakland. I only assumed that if they were "hot" for his "BOD" to come to Chicago before, they would still have interest.

I would love to see them use him as LB next to Briggs & Urlacher, then on Passing situations, bring him up as DE. Blitz him from LB, turn him loose at DE opposite Peppers. Sort of fill two holes with one player.

According to Canfora, our updated cap figure is Chicago: $12,878,335 Million, but that is just one source and what does it include?

It was mentioned very early in conversations about free agency that last year Wimbley was a major interest to the Bears and Lovie but stayed with Oakland. I only assumed that if they were "hot" for his "BOD" to come to Chicago before, they would still have interest.

I would love to see them use him as LB next to Briggs & Urlacher, then on Passing situations, bring him up as DE. Blitz him from LB, turn him loose at DE opposite Peppers. Sort of fill two holes with one player.

The info I got was from PFT and they say they had 12 and change before they signed Stelz and Idonije. So we could be talking about the same numbers.

From what I can tell he was to make a base salary of 4.5 million this year, then the big bonus if they kept him. Obviously, the base salary is not a problem.

So what would he get on the market?

Here is info and his stat line from last year:

Wimbley had seven sacks, 21½ quarterback knockdowns and 9½ hurries last season, according to STATS LLC.

What would those figures be if he was opposite Peppers?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/...-out-in-oakland

Well the fact it is his job to cover the Bears and he has built up relationships with people in the organization, so somebody has given him reason to believe that we arent interested. I think I may believe him over you thinking were signing everybody that breathes. We have around 10 mil left in cap space after signing Stelz, and about 4 to 5 is going to rookies, so we aint signing him for a 5 mil contract, get real.

Are you sure we have to have 4 to 5 million in cap space to go to rookies? I'll bet half the teams in the league don't have that much cap space right now.

Last year it was reported we only had a million in cap space. Then we gave Merriweather 3+ million. How's that happen?

We'll save space cutting Barber. We could cut a deal with Forte that would help him and save us cap space immediately.

We can easily get this done if we're motivated.