why are we not looking at this guy?

Lucky Luciano

By Dave Birkett

Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

The 28-year-old McNeill started most of his first six NFL seasons at left tackle for the Chargers, protecting quarterback Philip Rivers’ blind side.

He missed 12 games over the last two years, however, and has a history of neck problems.

McNeill said he was cleared by doctors in Charlotte, N.C., to resume playing last week, but according to the San Diego Union-Tribune, he was not expected to be cleared by team doctors, which prompted his release.

McNeill said his neck is “100%” now and that he’s been working out since mid-January.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120316/SPOR...ews|text|Sports

i don't get it. this should be one of the most important free agents on the market for the bears since gaithers was signed by the chargers. it would make this team more than just a little better.

also the center, chris myers, for the texans is out there along with wells from the packers. picking up a good stop-gap center would hold us over until we can draft his replacement and free up garza to compete for the guard position.

these can't be cap breaking contracts from any of these guys so why are we dragging our feet?

i don't get it. this should be one of the most important free agents on the market for the bears since gaithers was signed by the chargers. it would make this team more than just a little better.

also the center, chris myers, for the texans is out there along with wells from the packers. picking up a good stop-gap center would hold us over until we can draft his replacement and free up garza to compete for the guard position.

these can't be cap breaking contracts from any of these guys so why are we dragging our feet?

He doesnt seem to be getting attention from anybody which probably means his medical issues are more previlant than we know.

I concur. Having him him on the team with his medical concerns would be foolhardy. Perhaps as dangerous as drafting twice for Tackles in the first round that both had pre-existing medical issues. (Williams and Carimi).

If the Bears were looking to pass on the OT in the draft and give Webb anther shot...this would be a move that would make a lot of sense.

He doesnt seem to be getting attention from anybody which probably means his medical issues are more previlant than we know.

well, he states he was cleared by his doctors to play football, he says his neck is 100% and he has taken a physical from the lions and is scheduled to visit the chiefs and the falcons.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency?module=HP11_content_stream

how costly is it for us to at least bring him in and give him a physical in chicago? if it looks bad don't sign him. if it looks like he can play he is a good LT and light years ahead of webb that would anchor our line and keep cutler off his arse for the next 5 years. there just is no downside to giving him a physical that i can see.

I concur. Having him him on the team with his medical concerns would be foolhardy. Perhaps as dangerous as drafting twice for Tackles in the first round that both had pre-existing medical issues. (Williams and Carimi).

even urlacher and peanut have a medical history and yet we resigned them.

we are not drafting anyone that we have to eat a large contract and an offer dependent upon health is no big deal in todays nfl. the reward of this signing is certainly worth the risk. at the worst we have webb as a replacement swing tackle.

we are not drafting anyone that we have to eat a large contract and an offer dependent upon health is no big deal in todays nfl. the reward of this signing is certainly worth the risk. at the worst we have webb as a replacement swing tackle.

Agreed. There's a good chance either Carimi or J Webb will turn out to be actually good. The odds of them both being good ranks up there with the Cubs winning the World Series IMO. Yet I get the imprression we don't want to sign a guy like Eric Winston to a huge money deal because we like Webb & Carimi. Signing McNeil would be a nice alternative. Cheapter than Winston yet if healthy, he's easily our best tackle.

That being said, before we go after McNeil, we should do everything we can to sign Winston.

It's concerning that we have major needs on both lines and the Chicago media seems to believe we'll be happy to upgrade them at the draft. Not good.

Agreed. There's a good chance either Carimi or J Webb will turn out to be actually good. The odds of them both being good ranks up there with the Cubs winning the World Series IMO. Yet I get the imprression we don't want to sign a guy like Eric Winston to a huge money deal because we like Webb & Carimi. Signing McNeil would be a nice alternative. Cheapter than Winston yet if healthy, he's easily our best tackle.

That being said, before we go after McNeil, we should do everything we can to sign Winston.

It's concerning that we have major needs on both lines and the Chicago media seems to believe we'll be happy to upgrade them at the draft. Not good.

i believe that winston is a RT is he not? i am not sure how you fill that position seeing how we have a first round pick whose quality has not been determined yet. if carimi is a real viable option for the LT spot it would be an excellent pickup.

if not mcneill a two time pro-bowl caliber player is a very, very good option if he passes a physical to fill the biggest hot-spot on our offensive line that can get a right handed quarterback killed with poor play.

also of note... the packers center signed with the rams so scratch THAT option.

i believe that winston is a RT is he not? i am not sure how you fill that position seeing how we have a first round pick whose quality has not been determined yet. if carimi is a real viable option for the LT spot it would be an excellent pickup.

Yep. Winston's a RT and a damn good one. John Tait was a damn good RT and he ended up solidifying the LT position for us for a few years. I have a hunch that Winston would be better at LT than Webb or Carimi. Either way, he'd be a HUGE upgrade. Bring in good players and figure out the rest later.

If not mcneill a two time pro-bowl caliber player is a very, very good option if he passes a physical to fill the biggest hot-spot on our offensive line that can get a right handed quarterback killed with poor play.

I'd be THRILLED with McNeil. I only mentioned Winston because he's rated higher right now.

also of note... the packers center signed with the rams so scratch THAT option.

Considering we have Spencer, I never thought we'd go after the center position.

Agreed. There's a good chance either Carimi or J Webb will turn out to be actually good.

Fixed that for you. There is only one reason the Bears have put so much faith in Webb, and it points directly at Tice's reputation being bruised if his hand-picked guy doesn't turn out. That hubris should be set aside for the betterment of the team, and for Cutler's health.

Fixed that for you. There is only one reason the Bears have put so much faith in Webb, and it points directly at Tice's reputation being bruised if his hand-picked guy doesn't turn out. That hubris should be set aside for the betterment of the team, and for Cutler's health.

I agree with the fix but disagree on Tice. I believe Tice put the best combination of 5 Oline out there. He played the hand he was dealt by JA and looking back on it I think his main focus was on protecting Cutler up the middle first. Did he overestimate Webb? Maybe, maybe not but we really don't know Tice's true sentiments on Webb just assumptions based on what was in the media. Again, I can't expect a coach to come out and say publicly that "this guy doesn't have what it takes to play" if he is the best option he's got.

Fast forward to this offseason and he's seen Spencer play well at OG, and to a lesser extent Edwin Willams, and now Chris Williams is being talked about moving back to LT. Why would that be out there if Tice had so much confidence in Webb? Not only that our new GM, who says he won't tip his hand on needs, has openly come out and said we need more depth on the Oline. We all know where the weakest link was and I think it's clear we want to upgrade at LT.

Yes but Peanut and Urlacher are also cornerstones to the Defense. Not so for Carimi and Williams.. Not yet. The point with them is they both had pre-existing issues but fortunately they are young and not as costly. And they are already on the team.

This guy McNeil is older, injured and costly. No thanks.

I'm not suggesting the team draft this position... Not that high (again) but I am definitely saying the team should look at a FA tackle, if Tice thinks it necessary.

This guy McNeil is older, injured and costly. No thanks.

I'm not suggesting the team draft this position... Not that high (again) but I am definitely saying the team should look at a FA tackle, if Tice thinks it necessary.

mcneill is 28 years old compared to chris williams at 26. the shelf life barring injury would have to be mid thirties in the nfl for offensive linemen. that is five + years of quality playing time left.

he has been cleared to play football by his own doctors and states that his neck is 100% and has been working out since january. how can bringing him into chicago and giving him a physical to see what our doctors say not be a smart thing to do? what does it cost to do this? a plane ticket, lunch, a doctor appointment and some x-rays?

who knows what salary he might ask for so how could you say it is costly? if he passes our physical to play football how much is a young, two-time pro-bowl left tackle who would protect jay cutler's blindside worth? especially when the option is what we currently have in webb?

if i am reading your last paragraph correctly you don't think drafting a left tackle at 19 would be a good idea and we should look for a free agent tackle. quite frankly there are always an extremely limited amount of left tackles on the market for obvious reasons and this season only saw 2 left tackles that i am aware of whose age and quality were worth even consideration. gaithers and mcneill. gaithers is gone and you don't like mcneill so where would we get one to keep our franchise quarterback healthy?

I agree with the fix but disagree on Tice. I believe Tice put the best combination of 5 Oline out there. He played the hand he was dealt by JA and looking back on it I think his main focus was on protecting Cutler up the middle first. Did he overestimate Webb? Maybe, maybe not but we really don't know Tice's true sentiments on Webb just assumptions based on what was in the media. Again, I can't expect a coach to come out and say publicly that "this guy doesn't have what it takes to play" if he is the best option he's got.

Fast forward to this offseason and he's seen Spencer play well at OG, and to a lesser extent Edwin Willams, and now Chris Williams is being talked about moving back to LT. Why would that be out there if Tice had so much confidence in Webb? Not only that our new GM, who says he won't tip his hand on needs, has openly come out and said we need more depth on the Oline. We all know where the weakest link was and I think it's clear we want to upgrade at LT.

Don't get me wrong, I think he put out the best five that he was given. Or at least he tried. But I think he probably has some influence in the backroom meetings, particuarly pertaining to the draft, and he is more likely to stick up for his hand-picked player (Webb) than not. And the result of that could be the potential for him to speak up for Webb, to preserve his reputation as an OL guru.

I have seen very little to make this thought process seem unrealistic. All we've seen is one or two comments about how Webb is the guy "unless some miracle happens and an elite first-round draft pick that we couldn't pass up fell in our lap, which I doubt. Yeah, he's our guy moving forward."

if i am reading your last paragraph correctly you don't think drafting a left tackle at 19 would be a good idea and we should look for a free agent tackle. quite frankly there are always an extremely limited amount of left tackles on the market for obvious reasons and this season only saw 2 left tackles that i am aware of whose age and quality were worth even consideration. gaithers and mcneill. gaithers is gone and you don't like mcneill so where would we get one to keep our franchise quarterback healthy?

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/fr...n=OL&y=2012

The above link shows many possibles for Tackle free agents. The list will grow as the FA wears on and the draft comes and goes. Don't think the team needs to panic and sign just to be signing...at that position.

As far as drafting at the first round for OT. Don't think they should. Like I mentioned before, theyve already done that previously (Williams and Carimi). Skill positions are better suited for that, especially given Jay does need another big bodied WR to compliment Marshall. And a young one out of college would fit the bill.

Don't get me wrong, I think he put out the best five that he was given. Or at least he tried. But I think he probably has some influence in the backroom meetings, particuarly pertaining to the draft, and he is more likely to stick up for his hand-picked player (Webb) than not. And the result of that could be the potential for him to speak up for Webb, to preserve his reputation as an OL guru.

I have seen very little to make this thought process seem unrealistic. All we've seen is one or two comments about how Webb is the guy "unless some miracle happens and an elite first-round draft pick that we couldn't pass up fell in our lap, which I doubt. Yeah, he's our guy moving forward."

No doubt if we go all in on having Webb as the answer then there's an evaluation problem with this organization. I scanned some mock drafts last night. At this point I doubt Martin drops to us. That leaves Adams as the LT opportunity in Rd 1. Other options might be DeCastro but he should be gone or Glenn to beef up the inside. All of those options would help. At this point I suspect we're going DE in Rd 1 and then offense in Rd 2 and Rd 3 (Oline, WR) and back to defense in Rd 4/5 with CB and LB.

No doubt if we go all in on having Webb as the answer then there's an evaluation problem with this organization. I scanned some mock drafts last night. At this point I doubt Martin drops to us. That leaves Adams as the LT opportunity in Rd 1. Other options might be DeCastro but he should be gone or Glenn to beef up the inside. All of those options would help. At this point I suspect we're going DE in Rd 1 and then offense in Rd 2 and Rd 3 (Oline, WR) and back to defense in Rd 4/5 with CB and LB.

Yea, if they don't go OL in the 1st or 2nd, something is wrong. We just need more pedigree. I think your plan is solid...

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/fr...n=OL&y=2012

The above link shows many possibles for Tackle free agents. The list will grow as the FA wears on and the draft comes and goes. Don't think the team needs to panic and sign just to be signing...at that position.

which free agent left tackles were you looking at that could protect cutlers blindside?

i went through the entire list and besides mcneill, these are the only left tackles listed that are not signed i could find:

max starks steelers. 29 years old a starter at LT for the steelers. is recovering from various injuries including ACL surgery this last january. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/pitts...s-t-max-starks/

mark levoir an undrafted swing tackle who has started 3 games as a LT for the rams in 2011

sean locklear a 30 year old utility RT who has played 10 games at LT in seattle in 09 and 4 games at LT in washington '11.

willie smith 25 year old undrafted rookie LT/T who started 3 games for the skins in 2011.

tony ugoh utility lineman and tight end. played two partial seasons for the colts in 2007 and 2008 at LT. was a utility tackle in 09, out of football in 2010 and played for the giants as a tight end in 2011.