Kendall Wright at 19??

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Waiting for everyone to chime in about how much they despise this pick. After all, dude is only 5'10". :blink:

I wouldn't like the pick because that would mean the Bears are taking the leftovers in RD1. If Wright is there that means an equally or higher rated LT or DE is there, and I'd much rather see one of those guys because LT and DE are much thinner than WR. Hell, the Bears could get a LT/DE in #1 and still get a very good guy at #2 (Randle, Jeffery, Sanu) and another good guy at #3 (Toon, McNutt, Criner, Jones).

THIS IS A SMOKE SCREEN - hopefully!

Agreed and after his better 40 time at the Baylor Pro Day today its a good move to show interest.Mayock clocked him at 4.45. A far cry from the 4.6 he ran at the Combine. Today's time supports what you see on the field when he plays.

I think it he would be a great addition. All the scouting reports I've seen have him as small but quick, with good route running, good blocking, and a willingness to fight for the ball. So basically Steve Smith. I'd say Brandon Marshall and a guy who looks a lot like Steve Smith would be a pretty imposing duo, particularly with Earl and Forte as sort of safety valves underneath.

Some might say that a DE or a OT is a more pressing need, and that may be true. But most reports I've seen say that the OT and DE classes are kind of weak, so I'd rather take a guy who can take the offense to the next level than reach for someone to fill a need. It's a reason I was disappointed to see the Bears sign a bunch of special teams players before addressing the DE spot. We should be able to find some special teams contributors in the middle rounds, but its tough to find a Kamerion Wimbley in the middle rounds. I guess that's what happens when you hire a GM who doesn't pick a pro personnel director until after free agency.

Waiting for everyone to chime in about how much they despise this pick. After all, dude is only 5'10". :blink:

I wouldn't like the pick because that would mean the Bears are taking the leftovers in RD1. If Wright is there that means an equally or higher rated LT or DE is there, and I'd much rather see one of those guys because LT and DE are much thinner than WR. Hell, the Bears could get a LT/DE in #1 and still get a very good guy at #2 (Randle, Jeffery, Sanu) and another good guy at #3 (Toon, McNutt, Criner, Jones).

I agree since we already have the #1, we need the other positions more.

I think it he would be a great addition. All the scouting reports I've seen have him as small but quick, with good route running, good blocking, and a willingness to fight for the ball. So basically Steve Smith. I'd say Brandon Marshall and a guy who looks a lot like Steve Smith would be a pretty imposing duo, particularly with Earl and Forte as sort of safety valves underneath.

Some might say that a DE or a OT is a more pressing need, and that may be true. But most reports I've seen say that the OT and DE classes are kind of weak, so I'd rather take a guy who can take the offense to the next level than reach for someone to fill a need. It's a reason I was disappointed to see the Bears sign a bunch of special teams players before addressing the DE spot. We should be able to find some special teams contributors in the middle rounds, but its tough to find a Kamerion Wimbley in the middle rounds. I guess that's what happens when you hire a GM who doesn't pick a pro personnel director until after free agency.

I havent read where those spots are weak? I have read that WR position is real deep, so that means you can get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd.

There are 4 legitimate first round OTs. Kalil, Reiff, Martin and Adams. A 5th player Cordy Glenn is added to the mix by some but, he looks better at OG IMO. So I wouldn't consider the class really weak since there are a few guys that have 2nd and 3rd round grades that could develop into solid OTs. There is a prospect from Boise named Potter who early in the evaluation process was highly thought of but the fact that he wasn't protecting his QB's blindside because his QB was left handed makes him a question mark. With the Saints losing a 2nd rounder this year evry pick at that point moves up one. If this kid is still there in the 3rd or 4th I'd draft him there. I also like the idea of signing a OT from Utah as an undrafted FA named John Cullen who is 6/4 299 as a project to develop.

Guest TerraTor
I havent read where those spots are weak? I have read that WR position is real deep, so that means you can get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd.

\Ya I dont see those spots weak at all....

Who gives a crap about his height. We have Brandon Marshall. Kendall Wright makes more sense now when you can pair him next to somebody with size. Steve Smith is a guy Wright is often compared to and for good reason. Smith was a 3rd round pick out of Utah and stood at a whopping 5'9 weighing 185 pounds who then went on to be a perennial pro bowler. Wright measured in at 5'10 195 pounds. Both have 38 inch verticals and the athletic ability to make spectacular plays. Being 5'10 doesn't really have to do with anything. If a guy can play, he can play.

I don't think you can go wrong with either him or Stephen Hill. We have our #1, we just need a speed guy to compliment him. The Bears will have their options when it comes to their selection. I myself would love to see them add another quality receiver in the 1st but would understand if they went with a pass rusher or someone else that fell out of the top 10.

Who gives a crap about his height. We have Brandon Marshall. Kendall Wright makes more sense now when you can pair him next to somebody with size. Steve Smith is a guy Wright is often compared to and for good reason. Smith was a 3rd round pick out of Utah and stood at a whopping 5'9 weighing 185 pounds who then went on to be a perennial pro bowler. Wright measured in at 5'10 195 pounds. Both have 38 inch verticals and the athletic ability to make spectacular plays. Being 5'10 doesn't really have to do with anything. If a guy can play, he can play.

I don't think you can go wrong with either him or Stephen Hill. We have our #1, we just need a speed guy to compliment him. The Bears will have their options when it comes to their selection. I myself would love to see them add another quality receiver in the 1st but would understand if they went with a pass rusher or someone else that fell out of the top 10.

I agree with everything you said, but Hill would be a good addition but not at 19. We need to get the best player available to improve our team. Hill is a reach at 1 but wouldnt be at 2. The reason teams get in trouble is they draft to need. and pass on a blue chip player where ever he plays.

I have read on several websites and they talked on NFL network about how this was a weak DE class. They said it was pretty strong for DTs, but not for DEs.

I also read, can't recall where, that the OTs likely to be there when we pick (Adams, etc) aren't viewed by some as first round talents, but they might be taken there due to positional scarcity and the importance of OTs.

I dont really despise the notion of Wright at #19 would be good. But I really think for what we are goig to be doing on offense this year we need to get either Floyd or Hill to put on the other side of Marshall. This give us two down the field weapons that most DB'S can't mach up with. We have our two speed guys in Hester and Knox(if he's back from injury) and the sure thing in Bennett, with Weems playing his ST role. The throw in the big TE Davis and Forte....we will have an offense that teams will really have to game plan for and not just blitz all the time. Now Oline is not a major weakness but its a concern maybe if we can get either Bell or Collins in FA we will have less to worry about. After a WR in RD 1 we need to go get the BPA at what we need..OT, CB, LB are the three areas we need the most.

I dont really despise the notion of Wright at #19 would be good. But I really think for what we are goig to be doing on offense this year we need to get either Floyd or Hill to put on the other side of Marshall. This give us two down the field weapons that most DB'S can't mach up with. We have our two speed guys in Hester and Knox(if he's back from injury) and the sure thing in Bennett, with Weems playing his ST role. The throw in the big TE Davis and Forte....we will have an offense that teams will really have to game plan for and not just blitz all the time. Now Oline is not a major weakness but its a concern maybe if we can get either Bell or Collins in FA we will have less to worry about. After a WR in RD 1 we need to go get the BPA at what we need..OT, CB, LB are the three areas we need the most.

The only thing I disagree with is the suggestion that Wright is just a speed guy. Wright is a complete wide receiver, he's just short. Hester isn't really a receiver at all, and Knox is a receiver who is just a speed guy. Wright is a different animal than those guys.

While I agree we need a DE, I don't know that this is the year to find that guy in the first round. I think we had what felt like a solidly average offense last year. Adding Marshall gives us a big boost. Adding Wright on top of that would take us to the point that we could score with the Packers, Lions, Saints, Patriots, etc. And we have the best defense of those teams, so we'd really be in the driver's seat.

I wish we would've found a DE in free agency and used some middle round picks on special teams guys like Weems and Constanzo. I hate going into a draft with a glaring need, and we could've used the money we spent on those 2 to pay a big chunk of Wimbley's salary.

I have read on several websites and they talked on NFL network about how this was a weak DE class. They said it was pretty strong for DTs, but not for DEs.

I also read, can't recall where, that the OTs likely to be there when we pick (Adams, etc) aren't viewed by some as first round talents, but they might be taken there due to positional scarcity and the importance of OTs.

I wouldnt say the DE class is weak, theres just not a lot of depth there. After Coples, Ingram,Upshaw, Perry and Mercilus theres not gonna be any impact DEs left IMO. Thats why I'm hoping they go DE 1st round, though I wouldnt be disappointed if they go OL...

WR in the first? No thank you. You draft a WR in the first round if you need a #1 or #2 receiver and I feel the bears already have that with Marshall and Bennett. Sounds like the Bears are gonna utilize Hester more also, probably in a way theyd use a guy like Kendall Wright, so I see Hester as being a good number 3 option. So the bears need to be looking at a #4 receiver and this draft is really deep with talented WRs. Unless they really like a guy that dropped to them in the 2nd I dont wanna see the Bears draft a WR till the 3rd or later...Guys like AJ Jenkins, Marvin McNutt, Juron Criner, Greg Childs, Tommy Streeter, and Dwight Jones are all guys that will be there in the 3rd and 4th round.

I like the move. It shows that the Bears are definitley putting a major value on offense this year. With RB situation set with Forte/Bush and a WR core of Marshall/Wright/Bennett, we are in great shape at the major skilled positions. What still worries me though, is our offensive line. Will they find a lineman worth value in the 2nd round? Are there FA's out there?