Barber Retires

DaBearSox

I suspect after the Bush signing he knew he was going to be out of here and my guess is he just did not want to go through another relocation. He certainly could have contributed somewhere if he had wanted to continue playing. I hope he does well in his future and that he and his family can now enjoy more time together.

I suspect after the Bush signing he knew he was going to be out of here and my guess is he just did not want to go through another relocation. He certainly could have contributed somewhere if he had wanted to continue playing. I hope he does well in his future and that he and his family can now enjoy more time together.

Agreed and I also believe that what his body went through last year injury-wise may have also contributed to the decision. I'm glad he in essence tapped out now because it shows that he doesn't have the desire that this team needs going forward.

My guess is he knew he'd be begging for work. Heck, LT is available and he's been more healthy and more productive than Barber. Not to mention Ced Benson. I remember him being a beast for the Cowboys, but as a Bear fan I'll alway remember him giving the Denver game away.

Does that free up cap space for us?

Just curious. Is his retiring somehow better than if we'd released him...salary cap-wise?

Seems better because imagine for example that a player signs a 6 year 50 million dollar contract with 25M guaranteed, then after one year retires. Clearly in that case the team would not have to pay or be held against the cap for some of that 25M signing bonus, and the player would have to return some of it for not completing the 6 year contract. Seems that's what's happening now with Marion but with smaller dollar amounts and years.

Just curious. Is his retiring somehow better than if we'd released him...salary cap-wise?

Seems better because imagine for example that a player signs a 6 year 50 million dollar contract with 25M guaranteed, then after one year retires. Clearly in that case the team would not have to pay or be held against the cap for some of that 25M signing bonus, and the player would have to return some of it for not completing the 6 year contract. Seems that's what's happening now with Marion but with smaller dollar amounts and years.

Either way we wont have to pay him for sub standard work....lol

I believe he gets to keep the signing bonus but I could be wrong.

Peace :dabears