Bears could've had Marshall for nothing

adam

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-...all_for_nothing

This is hilarious, to think that no one contacted the Dolphins about Marshall except for the Bears. I can think of at least 5-6 teams that would've taken the "risk". The best part is that Miami would have just released him. That would've created an even bigger firestorm and would've been a horrible move. The Dolphins would still be on the hook for the rest of the guaranteed money and would've had a residual cap hit. That would've went over really well in Miami.

It seems like Ross is just trying to save face and show how good of a negotiator management is by getting 2x 3rd rounders for someone they were going to release anyway. However, by saying that is what they were going to do makes the organization look even more inept than before.

Agreed....

I really don't care of the details... I still think we got a good deal overall. It's all risk and return...

I don't know it's true but so what. If he gets released that means things turn into a bidding war between several teams. I'll take the certainty over uncertainty when it comes to letting him hit the open market.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-...all_for_nothing

This is hilarious, to think that no one contacted the Dolphins about Marshall except for the Bears. I can think of at least 5-6 teams that would've taken the "risk". The best part is that Miami would have just released him. That would've created an even bigger firestorm and would've been a horrible move. The Dolphins would still be on the hook for the rest of the guaranteed money and would've had a residual cap hit. That would've went over really well in Miami.

It seems like Ross is just trying to save face and show how good of a negotiator management is by getting 2x 3rd rounders for someone they were going to release anyway. However, by saying that is what they were going to do makes the organization look even more inept than before.

All it is is lip service to try and make some fans not jump off the deep end. Complete bullshit.

Yep, that's the bottom line here.

They got a pro bowl WR for a bargin price. For nothing would have been better, but this was going down at the opening of FAgency and you had to jump on him or make a play for VJackson. It was all about the timing they couldnt wait a week to see if he might be released, all the good WRs would have been gone. You have to be pro active.

I don't think that's entirely correct. Had he hit the open market, we'd probably see contract numbers similar to V-Jack, no?

So, in theory, we still paid less...

They got a pro bowl WR for a bargin price. For nothing would have been better, but this was going down at the opening of FAgency and you had to jump on him or make a play for VJackson. It was all about the timing they couldnt wait a week to see if he might be released, all the good WRs would have been gone. You have to be pro active.

I don't think that's entirely correct. Had he hit the open market, we'd probably see contract numbers similar to V-Jack, no?

Possibly, depends on how much this "Incident" hurts him. If he hit the open market, yeah, the Bears would have to pay a fairly larger amount due to his signing bonus.

Guest TerraTor

He has earned alot more than VJack on the field. And even so, Jackson is a nightmare with the contract holdout and crap. But Marshalls off-field stuff is always worrisome...

Just to compare...

Marshall since 2009

2009 - 101 - 1100 - 10 Kyle Orton

2010 - 86 - 1015 - 3 Henne

2011 - 81 - 1214 -6 Henne, Moore

Jackson since 2009

2009 - 68 - 1160 - 9 Phil Rivers

2010 - HOLDOUT 5 Games Played

2011 - 60 - 1100 - 9 Phil Rivers

Yep, it couldn't have been for nothing. We'd have been giving him a huge signing bonus and all the long term cap ramifications that go with it. He'd still be worth it but now for a couple third round picks we get a 1 to 2 year test drive for a mere $10-20mil but if we decide to we can move on with no long term hit. I like our risk vs. reward scenario a more than what Tampa has with VJack.