Teddy says strong offer is on table for Forte....

madlithuanian

If he wants $20 mil then he's a bargain in the Bears eyes at the franchise tag price.

Not really, that's basically the Bears guaranteeing this year's contract for 3 years. It'd be really hard to get any legit cap savings this year on a $20 million guarantee. It's closer to a bargain if they would consider franchise tagging him next year as well, because his number will be 20% higher next year, and then the Bears would have paid him ~60% of the guarantee in those 2 years.

Not really, that's basically the Bears guaranteeing this year's contract for 3 years. It'd be really hard to get any legit cap savings this year on a $20 million guarantee. It's closer to a bargain if they would consider franchise tagging him next year as well, because his number will be 20% higher next year, and then the Bears would have paid him ~60% of the guarantee in those 2 years.

Yes, I agree. You've got his best two years for less than the $20mil upfront money and that doesn't include annual salaries. On top of that the Bears are only locked in one year at a time so they have the flexibility if they so desire. the downside is they only have him for a year or two.

Yes, I agree. You've got his best two years for less than the $20mil upfront money and that doesn't include annual salaries. On top of that the Bears are only locked in one year at a time so they have the flexibility if they so desire. the downside is they only have him for a year or two.

Here's to hoping he takes the deal and is happy. I'm not a big fan of tagging a guy twice. If he's not in the fold after the first tag, I'm looking at a contract or trade, because you have a pissed off unmotivated guy that has just earned a pile of cash. Who's to say he doesn't sign the tender and feign an injury?(All to prolonge his career) I don't think Forte is wired that way, but people change when they are disenchanted.

Here's to hoping he takes the deal and is happy. I'm not a big fan of tagging a guy twice. If he's not in the fold after the first tag, I'm looking at a contract or trade, because you have a pissed off unmotivated guy that has just earned a pile of cash. Who's to say he doesn't sign the tender and feign an injury?(All to prolonge his career) I don't think Forte is wired that way, but people change when they are disenchanted.

Agreed and you have to figure that if he plays this year under the tag he would be in self preservation mode.Meaning he wouldn't play through injuries and he would save money to be in position to holdout if he is tagged next year.

Agreed and you have to figure that if he plays this year under the tag he would be in self preservation mode.Meaning he wouldn't play through injuries and he would save money to be in position to holdout if he is tagged next year.

If he has a down year though, doesn't fight for extra yardage and averages 3.9 yards a carry instead of 4.3, then he hits the FA market next year and everyone thinks he's a running back on the decline, injured in 2011 and down in 2012, and he winds up taking what Brandon Jacobs just got, a 1 year deal for someone.